April 25, 2024, 06:36:08 PM

Author Topic: Sadly, I knew that the Soca Warriors Honors would turn into a bacchanal  (Read 6793 times)

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
In so many ways we ent reach.  The Govt. gives the Soca Warriors $1 million each and now people saying they shoulda get more - house, land, car(?).  It is enough to make you cry.  The Warriors certainly deserve our gratitiude and tangible tokens for what they have done.  It is so low class for man to be saying that they should get more.  Is like when Kitch turn down the medal he was getting awarded saying that he deserve the Trinity Cross.  No class.  When Wendy come back and say upon winning Ms. Universe that she want land.  No class.  This has to do as our maturity with a society.  The Govt. has honored you by giving you a million each from your fellow citizens taxes.  Let there be no grumbling.  Politics in Trinidad rears its head at the most inopportune times.  Generally, we must get away from man expecting money, land etc. when they achieve something.  That is what national awards are for.  I dont begrudge the footballers and believe they were appropriately honored.  Jack Warner is out of place.  As for they expect cars, if the Govt. is to be expected to give them cars.  Why not a lifetime supply of groceries from Hilo?  Absolutely ridiculous.

MickeyRat

:applause:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Peg yuh right

But as usual, your topics will spark some controversy

anyway besides the limetime groceries from Hilo

I propose a lifetime supply of hops from Lindas

Free provisions for life from central market

9 months of free vases from Kirpalanis

and 8 months of fish broth from miss jean or de breakfast shed
(dependent on which island the warrior might find himself at any point
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
It is so low class for man to be saying that they should get more.  Is like when Kitch turn down the medal he was getting awarded saying that he deserve the Trinity Cross.  No class. 

I agree with most of what you posted except the above part. Why because in my opinion Kitch deserved the Trinity Cross & nothing less for his many decades of service and enrichment to T&T culture.

Not offering Kitch the Trinity Cross shows the low priority our government gives to the value and promotion of culture in T&T!

Otherwise yuh talk good!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:13:51 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Like u real like to hear man from South and dem nether regions so complain bout discrimination in trute.  ;D  Imagine Atiba Charles feelin fuh some hops and have to go Marval fuh it.  He might as well open up dey own franchise whey he is... :rotfl:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Like u real like to hear man from South and dem nether regions so complain bout discrimination in trute.  ;D  Imagine Atiba Charles feelin fuh some hops and have to go Marval fuh it.  He might as well open up dey own franchise whey he is... :rotfl:

and he ha 250k.cash..jhe could buy some decent wheels now  ;)

yuh know it real embarassin...I could tell man all kinda place to get food all over de states and canada but de only places I know in 'south' is de food court in gulf city and de rastaman dat does sell mango chow by de pitch lake
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
In so many ways we ent reach.  The Govt. gives the Soca Warriors $1 million each and now people saying they shoulda get more - house, land, car(?).  It is enough to make you cry.  The Warriors certainly deserve our gratitiude and tangible tokens for what they have done.  It is so low class for man to be saying that they should get more.  Is like when Kitch turn down the medal he was getting awarded saying that he deserve the Trinity Cross.  No class.  When Wendy come back and say upon winning Ms. Universe that she want land.  No class.  This has to do as our maturity with a society.  The Govt. has honored you by giving you a million each from your fellow citizens taxes.  Let there be no grumbling.  Politics in Trinidad rears its head at the most inopportune times.  Generally, we must get away from man expecting money, land etc. when they achieve something.  That is what national awards are for.  I dont begrudge the footballers and believe they were appropriately honored.  Jack Warner is out of place.  As for they expect cars, if the Govt. is to be expected to give them cars.  Why not a lifetime supply of groceries from Hilo?  Absolutely ridiculous.

Boss piece of writing. With enough truth to hurt some people. I loved it
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Peg, you are so right.  I myself knew giving those kinda tokens woulda spark big controversy.  Some people saying too much reward, some saying not enough...Warner should get money and medal too, some saying no.

Gone are the days of patriotism, when a man do something for the love of God and Country.  Now we do it for money.  My thing is when we do it for money, then leh we put up we own blasted money to start off the thing.  When yuh sit down to think about it, the Gov't spent almost TT$100 MILLION on a failed WC campaign.  At the end of the day we scored no goals (on the opponents) and had 1 point to show for our efforts.  All the pride and joy that was brought to a nation, quickly dissipated as murders continued, gov't and opposition stilll fighting, flags that once adourned buildings and vehicles are no longer seen, and only a handful of people continue to dress in red.  In other words WE (the tax payers) paid a handsome price for short lived glory.  But doh sweat it, we does do that every year around carnival time anyway.

The maths olypiad team start complaining, nurses and doctors complaining, teachers complaining, the oil workers, port workers, garbage collectors...everybody complaining about lack of gov't money.  No proper health care, public service, education system, agricultural system, housing, but the gov't spend $100 MILLION DOLLARS on football...well not really football eh...just about 30 to 35 men actually.

Let the people complain that is not enough reward...and tell them not to complain when the country fall apart either, or when we continue to reward mediocrity, because we as a society are some accustomed to below average, that any kinda step up is to be glorified.  We could always play a game of football  :-\
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
This is the tip of the iceburg. Just watch as the months come by and players who don't make big money start asking for theirs. Watch how man who was part of the qualifying earlier on start putting there hands out.

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Peg, you are so right.  I myself knew giving those kinda tokens woulda spark big controversy.  Some people saying too much reward, some saying not enough...Warner should get money and medal too, some saying no.

Gone are the days of patriotism, when a man do something for the love of God and Country.  Now we do it for money.  My thing is when we do it for money, then leh we put up we own blasted money to start off the thing.  When yuh sit down to think about it, the Gov't spent almost TT$100 MILLION on a failed WC campaign.  At the end of the day we scored no goals (on the opponents) and had 1 point to show for our efforts.  All the pride and joy that was brought to a nation, quickly dissipated as murders continued, gov't and opposition stilll fighting, flags that once adourned buildings and vehicles are no longer seen, and only a handful of people continue to dress in red.  In other words WE (the tax payers) paid a handsome price for short lived glory.  But doh sweat it, we does do that every year around carnival time anyway.

The maths olypiad team start complaining, nurses and doctors complaining, teachers complaining, the oil workers, port workers, garbage collectors...everybody complaining about lack of gov't money.  No proper health care, public service, education system, agricultural system, housing, but the gov't spend $100 MILLION DOLLARS on football...well not really football eh...just about 30 to 35 men actually.

Let the people complain that is not enough reward...and tell them not to complain when the country fall apart either, or when we continue to reward mediocrity, because we as a society are some accustomed to below average, that any kinda step up is to be glorified.  We could always play a game of football  :-\

jed, this ent some new ting. people in competition expect some reward if not a reward directly associated with the competition, some future reward or a perceived increase in their value.

"for the love of the game" is an ideal most ppl doh study. that just the way it is and has always been.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

jed, this ent some new ting. people in competition expect some reward if not a reward directly associated with the competition, some future reward or a perceived increase in their value.

"for the love of the game" is an ideal most ppl doh study. that just the way it is and has always been.

I disagree...is only in this day and age of BIG money in 1st division football and american sports...that people EXPECT something

I cyah remember readin crawford, agostini, mottley or any of dem ol fellahs commin back makin demands.
Granted, people have to roll with the times and money have to pass...but dem men aint get 10 grand each and a coupon for free roti
A $mil is a $mil...dat aint nuttn to dwight...but is more money dan wolfe had last week

So far de only men I hear complaining in public is Wolfe, Ince and Jackula

Which one ah dem sweat in de 2nd half for de games?

Dis go become like when T&T exit de world cup....how far should the team of gone to make them happy?...conversely...how much money do the detractors think the warriors deserved...what is enough?

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Earth to Peg, your statements attributed to 'no class' is off by a million miles,when Brian QuiteTong made off with 52 million of tax payers dollars and said 'I swore no oath to poverty' that is no class, when you compare what politicians and their friends make off with to our black bro and sis asking for a medal and a piece of land, those statements lead me to believe the that whatever school you attended had 'no class', clean up yuh heart an come,  Jack Warner is ah gold digger yes but so are the rest of them.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I aint hear no footballers saying anything.. Jack said that they (the footballers) were made to believe they were getting cars, land  etc:

If I was one of them and I was made to believe from the PM that I would be getting alot more than was stated I too would be vex. I would not openly go out and complain to anyone,but I would be hurt by the deceit.
Comparing Kitch to this situation is not the same, if the footballers say they aint want nothing less than a Trinity cross then I would agree.

Anyway Dutty, yuh have to help yuh own

Yuh could at least give parners and he wife to wuk for the fish broth... ;D

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
we live in bacchanal country mih boy :duel: :frustrated: :wavetowel: :yapping: :busshead:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Anyway Dutty, yuh have to help yuh own

Yuh could at least give parners and he wife to wuk for the fish broth... ;D

oh gorm.  :o..ah fuhget mrs pardners.......sorry pardners

Offline jaws

• DC/MD Warrior
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Arima massive!!
    • View Profile
ignorance will tear us apart!!!
"Greatness is not one big thing being done: it's all the small things being done well"

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
On Kitch.  I was a huge Kitchener fan.  I consider the man a genius.  However, it is not for you to determine how you are to be honored. When you are honored by a government and a people you accept it with humility and grace.  For instance, Sparrow is every bit the kaisonian Kitch is and he was given an award the same time Kitch was and accepted his award gracefully.  On the point of they were made to expect more - (a) I dont believe it as the country is awash in money and if he gave them $10m a piece, the fervor T&T was in nobody would have begrudged them and (b) No one has a right to expect what they didnt earn, this is a token for what was achieved.  BTW, that $30 million is taxpayers money not from Manning's personal funds.  Now, the trainer, the tape man, the equipment manager, the team doctor must get money too.  Why not the man who does dress up in the stadium in the Warrior costume, Maximus Dan for the bomb tune.  Why not?

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CORRECT!
You can't choose your own reward unless specifically asked.
That's just ridiculous.
These rewards are gifts, not from the government, but from the people of Trinidad and Tobago.
Tax-payers dollars are being distributed.
Of course the warriors and all our national heroes have earned these great rewards, but to outline what you should receive is just bad manners.

Personally, I would give them more because I believe all governments just tiefin our money anyway. I rather give it to the players
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree it is not up to the players to decide how they should be honoured!!!
On the Kitch issue, I find Kitch was damn wrong just like you, The man was a master, but to not accept a national award because you believe yuh deserve more is low class. I just said that you cannot compare the 2 situations, as no one said they not taking the money or the award, because they deserve more.

Knowing how politics work especially in T&T, I believe the PM did promise them more or maybe hinted that they would receive more than they really did. I am not saying not to be grateful, all I am saying is if I am a professional and the PM of my country has hinted to me that I should expect certain things, then I would be disappointed if I did not receive it, I probably will be vex as hell, but I certainly will not make my grievances public....

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
From another perspective, that $1 million is equivalent to 20 years salary for many trinbagonians, I know level graduates who start off working for that much ($4K).

In my humble opinion, the award and whatever bonuses promised to them for qualification would have sufficed. I am not begrudging them anything I am in fact quite happy for them - particularly the locally based. However, wanting more and expressing that publicly is bad manners and as such exemplifies 'no class'.

And what does colour have to do with this issue? Is the black-trinis', white- trinis', red-trinis', yellow-trinis' tax dollars being given to the fellas. Is all ah we money and they are all ah we boys, red Carlos Edwards and white Chris Birchall included. In other words there is no distinction. And even if I had let the "black bro and sis' talk slide, On de Block are you really advocating that because Kuei Tung, O'hallaran, Galbaransingh and whoever else raids the public coffers squandering the remaining funds is okay or better yet should be the preferred course?  

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Well said PEG, The World Cup is a FIFA tournament and the reward for qualifying, winning, etc comes from FIFA.

Beyond that whatever award or honour someone pays you is theirs to give if they feel you earned it in their hearts. The government representing the people is (or should be, lol) reflecting what the people feel should be given.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What I don't understand is that the Warriors got US$1,636,357 (10 Million plus TTD!!) split amongst 55 players as a qualifying bonus.

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=10682.0

Then another $6million SWISS FRANCS (30 million plus TTD!! ) to be shared among the 24 players for the three qualifying games.

Then this ADDITIONAL reward from the government and men still complaining men ain't get reward enough.   :rotfl: :rotfl: Trini sweet yes, and men wanna complain about lack of infrastructure, lack of this, lack of that in tnt  and taxes going up, etc etc  :-\ I now see why politicians worldwide capitalise on football successes, ppl does real get carried away and forget we have to live after !!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 02:40:45 PM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

TrinInfinite

play football yes, now de players who didnt get a piece of the pie will come to rise for the occasion this 2010 campaign, have a feeling new players will come out of nowhere and play real good ball bc of wat they will achieve, the 2006 team has paved the way for the rest  :beermug: but in everything in tt culture there will be bachannal, where isnt there bachannal in we culture? ???

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
JOPAN your 'NO CLASS' issue is out of context. PEG said Kitch and Wendy, which is where the black bro and sis come from, had 'NO CLASS' . I taught the use of the words NO CLASS in that context was way out of line, and NO CLASS could have better been used on Galberansingh, Ish, Brian, O hal.. ect.. ect..As far as what the PNM do or don't do with taxpayers money, the ball is in their court.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Okay, I see your reference now but the question still begs, why harp on the colour of skin. We are all trinis regardless of skin tone or hue.

As, said before trying to dictate what you be honoured with unless consulted before shows a lack of broughtupcy and humility. Unfortunately both Wendy and Kitch (God rest his soul) could be painted with that brush.

BTW, I kinda like your abbreviation there ;)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Jack Warner wants to government to pay he and his entire staff and pay all expenses for the 2010 world cup, let me ask you Jack, what is your contribution towards 2010 as it seems you looking for the easy way out but when it times to make price for tickets or you get anychance to pocket money concerning T&T football you step in. Same for Oliver Camps and Richard Gorden.

Does this  mean anything anymore to the T&T people ?

The T&T Pledge.
By Marjorie Padmore.

I solemnly pledge
To dedicate my life
To the service of my God
And my country.

I will honour
My parents, my teachers,
My leaders and my elders
And those in authority.

I will be
Clean and honest
In all my thoughts,
My words and my deeds.

I will strive
In everything I do
To work together with my fellowmen
Of every creed and race
For the greater happiness of all
And the honour and glory
Of my country.

PS: Good post PEG.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
If I aws a betting man, I would bet anything that PEG is not a Trini ... guarantee you he isfrom another country or lived overseas for most of his life.

truetrini

If I aws a betting man, I would bet anything that PEG is not a Trini ... guarantee you he isfrom another country or lived overseas for most of his life.

yuh go lose yuh bet!

Peg is ah real trini.

He does say it like he see it...he doh put water in he mouth, and is donkey years now he same way.

Right, wrong or indifferent, agree or disagree, yuh ould bet on this:

Peg go say it as he see it.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
The actual question might be

In 2010, assuming we qualify, what dem fellas getting?  :thinking:

DAT go be bacchanal... :-X
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile

marco van basten told the media that the dutch players should be happy to play in the team
and that they should play for the pride of the country
and should not get anything
football players earn a lot of money compared to normal jobs.

this is the other side

BUT how can you complain if you are rewarded?
and yes,maybe the materialman does not get anything?
so what!
should the girlfriend of dwight yorke get money?
should his mother get money?
no off course not
but that is apparently the way the people think
strange

be happy to be at the worldcup
be happy that the world saw you guys
the rewards are coming in shape of new (better) contracts

greedies

1]; } ?>