April 26, 2024, 07:21:19 PM

Author Topic: Manning saddens Yorke ... 'he never consulted me as promised'  (Read 11393 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Manning saddens Yorke ... 'he never consulted me as promised'
A Mirror Exclusive by Kirk Perreira.

Soca Warriors captain Dwight Yorke left for London on Tuesday sad and disappointed that Prime Minister Patrick Manning did not honour his pledge to meet with him to discuss how the national team should be honoured for their courageous performance at the World Cup finals in Germany.
The Soca Warriors, 1,000-to-one outsiders before the start of the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany, performed beyond expectations, drawing goalless in their opening match against European power, Sweden, then going under 0-2 to Group B seed and one of the tournament favourites, England, with two late goals and 0-2 again to seven-time World Cup qualifiers from South America, Paraguay, in their final preliminary round game; and in so doing, earned the respect of the football world.
Last Saturday, the Prime Minister announced that each of the 24 players would be given a minimum of $750,000 in units from the Unit Trust Corporation and $250,000 in cash, with Yorke getting a bigger bonus as captain, and the players, including Silvio Spann who missed the tournament through injury after being named in coach Leo Beenhakker’s original squad, each being awarded the Chaconia Gold Medal, the nation’s second highest award.
But, in an exclusive interview with this newspaper shortly before his departure at Piarco International Airport, Yorke confessed that he was disappointed that the Prime Minister reneged on his pledge to speak with him before any decisions were taken on rewarding the Soca Warriors.
“The Prime Minister never spoke to me,” Yorke ruefully confided with a shake of the head.
“He (Manning) said he would speak to me to ensure that the players got what they wanted, but I am leaving the country and he has still not spoken to me on the issue.
“Look, the good thing is that all the players are better off by one million dollars, but we felt that land would have been a better option and it would not have cost the government anything.
“We looked at what happened with the Jamaica team when they returned from the World Cup in France and their players were each given a piece of land of their choice.
“Don’t get it wrong; we are grateful for what the government has given us because the players are all better off today than when we returned from Germany; but why say we are going to be included in the discussion on how to reward the team and then we are completely overlooked?
“It’s the principle; we appreciate whatever we were given but the government promised to talk to us first.”
Yorke also said he had a few days before he has to return to Sydney FC in Australia and was going to settle some private business in England over the next couple of days before returning to Jamaica to watch the final Test between the West Indies and India at Sabina Park.
“It’s been a few years since I visited Jamaica so this will be a good opportunity for me to see the country again and watch a bit of cricket,” Yorke declared.
Other members of the Soca Warriors team were a bit more forthright and accused the government of using the players to gain political mileage while disregarding their views on how the national team should be honoured.
“Look at how they treated Silvio; they could not even get that right,” one player stated on condition of anonymity.
“This is just a ‘mamaguy’ thing.
“The players feel as if we are being used because no one really considered what it is we wanted. The government took a decision to give us money and a national award because the government felt that would make the government look good, but the money we got is nothing to such a rich country.
“Jamaica’s reward in 1998 was twice what we got and Jamaica does not have the kind of financial clout that Trinidad (and Tobago) has.
“Other than the Sports Minister (Roger Boynes), no member of the government saw it fit to come to Germany to support the team, so now that the government has not seen it fit to discuss anything with us about the rewarding of the team or what we want to see for the future of the Soca Warriors, because we are going to be involved in another World Cup campaign in three years and we have to start preparing now, then we believe that the generosity towards the team is really not sincere.”
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:08:39 AM by Flex »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Manning saddens Yorke ... 'he never consulted me as promised'
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36:01 AM »
Good point Yorke..........spoken like a true professional..

But you can see that the person who spoke on de condition of anonymity lacked Yorke's guile and tact!!

i feel is ince.......lol

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »
“Look, the good thing is that all the players are better off by one million dollars, but we felt that land would have been a better option and it would not have cost the government anything.

“We looked at what happened with the Jamaica team when they returned from the World Cup in France and their players were each given a piece of land of their choice.

“The players feel as if we are being used because no one really considered what it is we wanted. The government took a decision to give us money and a national award because the government felt that would make the government look good, but the money we got is nothing to such a rich country.

“Jamaica’s reward in 1998 was twice what we got and Jamaica does not have the kind of financial clout that Trinidad (and Tobago) has.

So it looks like this is the real issue.  The boys jealous of what Jamaica got.
Well hear what, maybe next time win a match and then we can talk land

Well the good vibes we had going during and after the world cup are now officially over.  Back to reality  :'(

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:55:04 AM »
There is no credibility to this article whatsoever.

It is the TnT Mirror.

I'm waiting for the Punch exclusive with the team orgy with Swedish girls.
TnT Patriot

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 06:05:07 AM »
There is no credibility to this article whatsoever.

It is the TnT Mirror.

I'm waiting for the Punch exclusive with the team orgy with Swedish girls.

ah was dey.. was ah mixture of Italian, Aussie (some ah Yorke skets) and 2 "buddooff baff" ting from the US (friends of a certain poster here) that entertained the fellas.. I'll post the link once the video files are uploaded. Dem fellas move like Mexican wrestlers though..they wear masks..

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 06:08:16 AM »
This is one of the reasons why money should not be given in the first place.

you cannot satisfy everybody and all it cause is more confusion.

The Govt shoud not be giving any money to anybody

That is not their Job

They should be funding sport at a high level nd every year not just in 2006 cause we make a world cup.

It send the wrong message about sporting development.

Year after year we never make the world cup

Where was the million dollars for players

The TTFF should be handling all monies and incentive and it should be done before hand.

Back in 2004

The incentive program for the team should have already been discussed and the funding provided by the govt in terms of bond or otherwise.

For example

First rounds X amount
Hex Round X amount
World Cup X amount

The amount per player bbased on playingtimeetc should already be determined.

That way everybody know before hand what to expect.

This after the fact thing is an amature approach

Halesy Crawford still have problems with the house they give him and the fact that he have to pay to get into the stadium named after him.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 06:24:53 AM »
KND2, you continue to amaze me!!

Your intellectual turnaround can only be described as incredible, i am happy that the days of you posting rubbish are over..........lol

.....this is a brilliant post!!

ah love it!!

Ps: ah feel de government try tuh please everybody with money.  If dey give land, ah man woulda want ah house, if dey give house, ah man like ince woulda want a car with 20" rims........if dey did give ah car with rims, then wolfe might have said that he want a speed boat.......and so on and so on............take yuh money and do whatever yuh want!!

but again i say, excellent post KND and KND2..

ah love it again!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

MickeyRat

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 07:04:33 AM »
T&T Mirror at it's best.  ??? I read the same thing in another tabloid newspaper.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 07:17:47 AM »
England is paying their players a salary of 300,000 pounds per month per man while in service for their country in the world cup, and Yorke mentioning land for our players should we say he has 'NO CLASS' for this act. When last I check de guardian an express yuh only seeing 1 mil / 1.5 mil etc for house and land in Trini and doh talk bout Bago, 1 mil is only a good down payment, Manning refurbish the prime minister residence, before that Panday do the same thing, x amount ah milliom down de drain, and for Trini's who  haven't  seen Manning passing thru their hood recently it is really a sight, first yuh have ah motor cycle police bout quater mile in front stopping all traffic letting you know 'Agustus' is  comin then is bout 3 land rover in front an 3 different brand name SUV behind an Manning in de middle, all yuh seeing is gun sticking out, men with buttlet proof vest on, everybody have on darkers, police an army mix some men have on shirt jack, some is 'SRP' 'Something Resembling Police' after dat pass yuh it have a motor cycle police in de back to, what ah sight, as far as the cost to move our prime minister around,who cares, money is no problem.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »

Well the good vibes we had going during and after the world cup are now officially over.  Back to reality  :'(

What!

Offline lihalquay

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 07:40:56 AM »
I think that the guys have to be careful that they don't come across as being ungrateful and abuse the goodwill that they have garnered.
Yes the Jamaican team were rewarded but where are they now?

MickeyRat

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
I think that the guys have to be careful that they don't come across as being ungrateful and abuse the goodwill that they have garnered.
Yes the Jamaican team were rewarded but where are they now?

Comparing what Jamaica got was not necessary.  We are two different and seperate nations.  shit man.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 07:46:35 AM »
England is paying their players a salary of 300,000 pounds per month per man while in service for their country in the world cup, and Yorke mentioning land for our players should we say he has 'NO CLASS' for this act. When last I check de guardian an express yuh only seeing 1 mil / 1.5 mil etc for house and land in Trini and doh talk bout Bago, 1 mil is only a good down payment, Manning refurbish the prime minister residence, before that Panday do the same thing, x amount ah milliom down de drain, and for Trini's who  haven't  seen Manning passing thru their hood recently it is really a sight, first yuh have ah motor cycle police bout quater mile in front stopping all traffic letting you know 'Agustus' is  comin then is bout 3 land rover in front an 3 different brand name SUV behind an Manning in de middle, all yuh seeing is gun sticking out, men with buttlet proof vest on, everybody have on darkers, police an army mix some men have on shirt jack, some is 'SRP' 'Something Resembling Police' after dat pass yuh it have a motor cycle police in de back to, what ah sight, as far as the cost to move our prime minister around,who cares, money is no problem.

Boss

EVERY leader in every country in de world have a motorcade and security detail...some larger than others

In light of the previous attempts and close calls on leaders in T&t in the past , give de man he security and fanfare, regardless of who in office

If he want ah bulletproof ice cream truck wit chrome rims...gih de man he truck
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 07:47:11 AM »
Yorke say that giving them land would not cost the government anything.  The gov't wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket for the land, but it would cost them in lost revenue from the sale of said land.  Land in Trinidad is more valuable than ever before.  Maybe the gov't thought that would be too much.

And to compare T&T's reward to Jamaica's sound real fishy.  Men get a million dollars and still not satisfied?  That is classless if it true.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 08:03:24 AM »
 Men get a million dollars and still not satisfied?  That is classless if it true.

Could not have said it better.

Offline ffreturns

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 08:15:08 AM »
I knew something was wrong from the get go the PNM could never be trusted and until that party is dismantled T&T will always be playing second Fidel to JA and people want to say they should win a game if Simoes was coaching T&T they would have won a game much respect to Yorke for speaking up.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 08:17:52 AM »
I knew something was wrong from the get go the PNM could never be trusted and until that party is dismantled T&T will always be playing second Fidel to JA and people want to say they should win a game if Simoes was coaching T&T they would have won a game much respect to Yorke for speaking up.

Ahh boy,, vybez icky like yuh get ah new handle  :loser:

by de way is castro yuh mean or  :violin:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline saintsman

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »
a million dollars is enough, they ain't win a match, though they did played hard and good football. But what bothering me is the typical way they looking at what other people get and crying foul. And allya want to know why trini crime so high, is cause everyone want what the next man have, just never satisfied with what you have. For one the players fee at least doubled for the world cup, they get 1mil. And for most of the players they going to get better contract deal with clubs. I say stop crying and act like men who love your country. A man like that would not go running to the press with sad story. Only thing I agree with is that the rest of the technical staff need to be appreciated. Besides that show love to your country cause all ah we support and money come out we limited pocket for the love of you.

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »

Boss:

What shit ya talking. We tied Sweden, playing a half with 10 ten men. An we kept Engerlund level for 85 minutes and if not for a cheat, may have held on for a tie.

In my books, that is far better than beating Japan. At least, we didn't get 5 in we cyat.

Yorke and the player who remained anonymous are absolutely correct.

Fact is, sport is sport and politRics is just that, Tricks. The two of them together is like mixing oil and water.

Our Warriors made it to the greatest show on Earth and made us proud while there. They should be rewarded adequately. Manning, like i said before, is clueless and obviously can't even remember what he did or said yesterday. He told Yorke, the team captain and arguably the most famous Caribbean athlete, one thing and did something completely different. Typical.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 09:50:23 AM »
Yuh know in TNT is monkey see monkey do, so when Brian Lara get a piece ah land round by de zoo, that set a standard in de minds of of sportsmen,an here we have now an achievement as good or even better than what Lara did, and never mind what we did in de world cup I am just talking about getting there. Ah set ah petty cash pnm puppets saying 'yuh know how much ten days yuh ha to wuk to make ah million dollars. While Manning saying 'how many Trini's it take to move ah billion dollars out de treasury'.  ONE, an he goes by the name of THE COUNT OF MANNINGCHRISTO, an he just loves to count, ONE BILLION , TWO BILLION , THREE BILLION for me AH AH AH AH........
An Mr. Dutty next time yuh come WN sweat we go have Manning ice cream truck dey fuh you 'spinners' an all because last time yuh take two sip ah de 1919 an spread out like blue band on de field ah did'nt know if to laugh cry or call 911.
An back to de class thing, Dwight  Yorke showing real class because he not asking for his benifit but for his team mates.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 09:57:51 AM »
Yuh know in TNT is monkey see monkey do, so when Brian Lara get a piece ah land round by de zoo, that set a standard in de minds of of sportsmen,an here we have now an achievement as good or even better than what Lara did, and never mind what we did in de world cup I am just talking about getting there. Ah set ah petty cash pnm puppets saying 'yuh know how much ten days yuh ha to wuk to make ah million dollars. While Manning saying 'how many Trini's it take to move ah billion dollars out de treasury'.  ONE, an he goes by the name of THE COUNT OF MANNINGCHRISTO, an he just loves to count, ONE BILLION , TWO BILLION , THREE BILLION for me AH AH AH AH........
An Mr. Dutty next time yuh come WN sweat we go have Manning ice cream truck dey fuh you 'spinners' an all because last time yuh take two sip ah de 1919 an spread out like blue band on de field ah did'nt know if to laugh cry or call 911.
An back to de class thing, Dwight  Yorke showing real class because he not asking for his benifit but for his team mates.

You shoulda call 911...is de douen lick mih dong

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 10:22:41 AM »
I could have told DWIGHT them promises to meet with him wasn't going to amount to nuttin.  Speech for speech sake. Hope he ent planning to do nuttin with that Ambassador title either. 
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 11:33:19 AM »
I could have told DWIGHT them promises to meet with him wasn't going to amount to nuttin.  Speech for speech sake. Hope he ent planning to do nuttin with that Ambassador title either. 

Lord ato So that 2010 WC a national objective is all old talk to boy. I just hope he keep that promise
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
Well, I have been hired to help where I can with speed, fitness and motivation, so if it on my watch I can say I will do my part.  Football doing well in 2010 ent up to PNM, (or any government) thank God.  It is up to people who know what it takes to succeed at a world class level.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
Once again, they are trying to compare trini with Ja. People talking around land. I was in Ja when they came back and the land these player getting wasn't in Norwood, Beverly Hill, Meadowbrook i.e. Westmoring, federal park(over the QPR area). These are some of the pricey area in Ja. They were getting land from Portmore(swamp land) and country areas. In other words, Caroni swamp and Mayaro. One qusetion what are they getting from tttf? i.e match fee for the three games and qualifying.What that in dollars value? ??? ??? ???
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »

Maybe we wouldn't be talking about if the players should be happy or not if Manning and Yorke had discussed this as agreed.

If you agree to talk to the Captain to discuss it and you don't do that there will be problems.  How it is Manning still has not spoken to our Captain?

I will wait to see if Dwight confirms or denies the report.  Ince and Wolfe I would ignore but this is the Captain who has exuded nothing but class since his appointment.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 12:43:15 PM »

Maybe we wouldn't be talking about if the players should be happy or not if Manning and Yorke had discussed this as agreed.

If you agree to talk to the Captain to discuss it and you don't do that there will be problems. How it is Manning still has not spoken to our Captain?

I will wait to see if Dwight confirms or denies the report. Ince and Wolfe I would ignore but this is the Captain who has exuded nothing but class since his appointment.

As Yorke rightly said it is the principle involved.....Is not about being satisfied what yuh get an keep quiet...he is appreciative of the money....but we are now on a professional level with the game and him as well as the rest of the team was not treated as professionals when the Prime Minister reniged on his word.  That is  not a man of prinicple....so to dismiss it as "Just be satisfied with what yuh get" ....is being naive to say the least..and is one of the founding reasons why such attitudes go unchecked..especially when it comes to the Prime Minister of a country
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »
if that story is true... it is a real pity because I feel that yorke has acted very professionally...manning could have done much better....

its amazing some of the players that are talking though...men like ince ( who had to beg and beg beenie to forgive him and make it back in the team) and men like wofle ....is it me or is this a question of overblown expectations....

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »
Is Yorke a financial advisor nowadays?  ::)

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 02:20:58 PM »
Well, I have been hired to help where I can with speed, fitness and motivation, so if it on my watch I can say I will do my part.  Football doing well in 2010 ent up to PNM, (or any government) thank God.  It is up to people who know what it takes to succeed at a world class level.

Yes I was wonderin wat d government go really be able 2 do bout dat except maybe jus continue doin wat dey was doin all along & jus encourage people 2 support d team if anyting else.
Luv Kat

1]; } ?>