April 24, 2024, 10:15:34 PM

Author Topic: Fenwick: - "Soca Warriors were marvellous"  (Read 2295 times)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Fenwick: - "Soca Warriors were marvellous"
« on: July 02, 2006, 11:07:35 AM »
Former England, Tottenham Hotspur Queen's Park Rangers & Crystal Palace player and current CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh coach Terry Fenwick talked last Friday morning - before the Argentina
v Germany kickoff - about what's left of the World Cup.

Source: - Trinidad express

You played in the World Cup yourself?

A: Yeah. I played in 1986. I got my 20 England caps under Bobby Robson; 1986 is remembered for the two astonishing goals Maradona scored against England. It was the quarter-final and politically it was very demanding. The whole buildup to the game revolved around the Falklands War rather than a football match, which was a bit disconcerting. I thought England and Argentina and England were the possibly the best two teams and it was unfortunate that we met in the quarter-finals. Even today I still think, man for man, England had a better squad than Argentina - but what Argentina did have was this guy called Maradona. I think he won the World Cup almost singlehandedly. That game is remembered for two fantastic goals.

You were involved in one of them?

[Chuckling softly] That's something I'm trying to forget. I'm remembered for being the guy who didn't stop Maradona. I'm sure over the course of his career there's thousands of footballers he's left in his wake but because that was the quarter-final of the World Cup Probably the biggest talking point of the game was what is now known as the Hand of God goal. Anywhere else in the world, that wouldn't have been allowed. Handball is cheating but, very perceptive of Maradona, he quickly named it the Hand of God goal which had the rest of the world sort of swooning. Definitely wasn't the hand of God if you're an Englishman - but that was the measure of the man, he scored that goal that shouldn't have been allowed and within five minutes he scored what is now seen as the best goal ever scored in the World Cup finals, when he takes the ball from inside his own half and beats five or six Englishmen before slotting it into the net.

It really wasn't you alone who failed to stop him?

That's right. He waltzed around Peter Reid and Glen Hoddle before getting to Terry Butcher, Kenny Sansom and then the very last guy was myself. Really, professionally, I should have taken him out. I was on a yellow card and it was a split-second decision. I tried to stop him obviously but he was travelling at such pace and had such movement and such a low centre of gravity that it was difficult to get anywhere near him.

And I let him go and it was a great goal but it's something I've regretted from that moment for the rest of my life really. I'm sure the good of the game wasn't in me mind because I wanted to win it for England. I was always renowned in England for being a hard tackler.

There's a famous picture of you grinning after breaking Paul Warhurst's leg in a tackle?

That's not at all true. Paul Warhurst, who was involved in that tackle with me, will tell you I was the first one to speak to him in hospital to see how he was. I was tough and hard but certainly didn't go out to maliciously hurt anybody. That wasn't my game at all. That photograph at that time, I wasn't sure what had actually happened. It wasn't until after the game it was known it was a break. I certainly wouldn't have smiled at that. It was taken out of context by the British Press.

There's also the incident with you as Jabloteh coach elbowing Gefferson Goulart - that wasn't a pleasant incident?

It wasn't. It's something I want to forget. I've done me penance.

What's the difference between first and second round games for players?

In the early stages, you've got chances to recover. Once you hit the knockout stage, if you're not performing at your peak, you're out of the tournament and that leaves no margin at all for error. In the first group games, the coaches use different players but now you'll see that they're playing what they consider their best team, even if they're picking up yellow cards. It's cutthroat and exciting. The adrenaline is absolutely pumping once you get past them early stages.

Your game gets lifted then?

I saw that when I went to Germany and saw the Trinidad and Tobago v England game. I fully believe the Soca Warriors performed far above what their capabilities were. I thought Coach Beenhakker did a wonderful job in keeping them very well organised and compact. What an astonishing result against Sweden, who I think are a very good international team. For Trinidad & Tobago to get a result against them of any sort was absolutely marvellous. That lifted their confidence to another level going into the England game where, again, for 83 minutes, it was difficult to establish which one was the big hitter in world football and which was the newcomer. Again, I think players performed above their levels. In particular, I thought the defenders were excellent. Cyd Gray I would single out as somebody from my club here in Trinidad who plays in front of, at best, two and 3,000 people, performing in front of 45,000 - and looking comfortable.

Unless you were in Nuremberg, you couldn't know how powerful the English support was in that stadium?

As an Englishman, I've seen that support all over the world. If it was an England-Germany final, there'd probably be more Englishmen than Germans in the stadium. [England] support is phenomenal. In that particular game in Nuremberg, three-quarters of that stadium was covered in St George's crosses. They reckon there was over 70,000 Englishmen without tickets in the town centre. That shows you the passion involved.

And it's in that context that the Warriors did well?

[Gasps] Oh! Aurtis Whitley and Cyd Gray! They've never had anything near that intense pressure on them in a game situation. They are used to PFL football and probably the last three games, Bahrain, Mexico, were the biggest they ever played. In the World Cup finals, when you've got such a partisan crowd [as the English] against you I thought [the Warriors] showed a lot of resolve and character to perform at the level they did.

Had we got to the second round, would our game have risen even higher?

You're then on the crest of a wave. I do believe the big guns always come to the front because they've got that extra quality and they're in front of big crowds, week in, week out, and it doesn't faze them. As a coach, I've got to move emotion to one side. Professionally, Trinidad and Tobago, their achievement was in qualification. I didn't expect them to get one point in the group stages if I was being quite frank! For them to get that point against Sweden was fantastic for the team and nation. It lifted morale, team spirit and the level of performance. The late goals in the England game burst the bubble; and I never fancied them against Paraguay, who, again, I think are a very good team. We can't underestimate the three teams Trinidad and Tobago have played against. They're World Cup competitors who've been there a number of times.

If you were national coach, what would you have done differently?

That's an awful question for me because I think Leo Beenakker has done a fantastic job. He's got the team believing in themselves and appreciating their role within the team system. He's got them winning. I don't think there's too much anyone could have done differently.

What are England's chances?

I think they can only get better. They've been awful in the first games. For the first time in my lifetime, England has more than one world class player, maybe five or six within the squad. They haven't performed so far and need to now come to the front. They've got good results without playing well. If Ericksson can get them playing better as a team, there's no reason they can't go the whole way.

They've been luckier than Argentina to draw Ecuador and Portugal rather than Mexico and Germany?

It looks like a much better run-in but that's the World Cup. I think their biggest hurdle will be Portugal, not Brazil.

Who will get to the final?

I think England-Germany. People will not agree with that. They'll look at the obvious, Brazil and Argentina but, you know, in football, you need that pinch of luck and I think England are carrying a bit of luck at the moment. They had luck against Trinidad and Tobago. In my eyes, that game looked like it had a draw written all over it until the Crouch goal, which we've all seen afterwards was a foul.

Argentina have scored lots of goals and they look fluent but I think they've played against very poor opposition. [Only] Mexico took them to wire, and I think Mexico were unfortunate. Brazil, when they've come up against well-organised opposition, have struggled.

I favour the strong European sides rather than the two classical South American sides. Germany were criticised after the first game, 4-2 win against Costa Rica but since then they've been absolutely awesome.

Where England struggled to come to grips with Sweden and drew 2-2, Germany absolutely blew them away within 15 minutes. The home nation is getting it together. They look to me to be the strongest, fittest team in the tournament. England [as a finalist] is probably more from the heart than the head because they have to come across Portugal and Brazil but the World Cup is about upsets. Today, I really fancy Germany rather than Argentina. And then whoever they play in the semi-final they will win.

Editor's note: England

were knocked out of the World Cup yesterday by Portugal in

a penalty shootout.

Kingman
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 11:10:23 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick: - "Soca Warriors were marvellous"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »
Ah just hope he market baptiste and a few others
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 11:17:53 AM »
nice one...he really tried to be a diplomat...lol

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 11:18:37 AM »

kerry really need to get out there cause he might be a big one for us in 2010...

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »
It is so nice when he talks to the local press like an angel. When he is out of the country he talks all the shit he wants. >:(
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 04:46:59 PM »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »

kerry really need to get out there cause he might be a big one for us in 2010...

yup he needs to
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:29:50 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 08:26:31 PM »
This fella speaks with a forked tongue.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:25:40 AM »
I read dat article yesterday and thought what a turn around in opinion  :o....hhhhmmm interesting....

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »
Foock You Fenwick !!!!!!!!!! now yuh want to jump on de Waggon....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:51:53 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 07:57:55 AM »
I read dat article yesterday and thought what a turn around in opinionĀ  :o....hhhhmmm interesting....

Everyone now has a turn around opinion of TNT now. Remember the talk was  to advancement out of group B the depended on how much goals they could score against us. So fenwick was just suprise that we played so good as everyone else

1]; } ?>