March 28, 2024, 12:36:22 PM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors collect their bounty  (Read 1845 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors collect their bounty
« on: June 30, 2006, 11:04:49 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:  Well done T&T Government.  Allyuh eh lapse dis rounds.  Well done.

TTFF praises the Government for its efficient disbursement of awards.  Source: Trinidad Guardian[/size]

T&T midfielder Carlos Edwards receives his reward from Minister of Sport of Youth Affairs Roger Boynes at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, yesterday. Photo: Karla Ramoo

BY NIGEL SIMON

The short wait for the million-dollar reward packages promised by Prime Minister Patrick Manning to the Soca Warriors came to an end yesterday.

At a welcome-home rally for the team last Saturday, Manning unwrapped a $31-million package, bringing an end to speculation on what rewards were to be bestowed upon the players for qualifying for the World Cup on November 16.

Each of the the 24 players who represented T&T in Germany received $1 million ($750,000 UTC units and $250,000 cash).

The presentation was made by Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes in a brief ceremony at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, yesterday.

The players present to collect rewards for their historic achievement at the 2006 Fifa World Cup in Germany against Sweden, England and Paraguay were Aurtis Whitley, Densill Theobald, Kenwyne Jones, Atiba Charles, Carlos Edwards, Anthony Wolfe, Collin Samuel, Silvio Spann, Kelvin Jack, Jason Scotland and Cyd Gray.

Fellow national players, team captain Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Shaka Hislop, Dennis Lawrence, Marvin Andrews, Avery John, Brent Sancho, Cornell Glen and Evans Wise were not on hand to receive their rewards.

However, they were represented by family members.

Yorke was represented by his brother, former national cricketer Clint, Latapy by his younger brother Mark, and Hislop by his father George.

Vannesa John collected on behalf of defender Dennis Lawrence, Micah Andrews for his brother Marvin, Brenda Mc Creer-Hunte for Wise and Avery John, Keith Sancho for his son Brent, and Patricia Glen on behalf of her son Cornell.

England-born duo Ian Cox and Christopher Birchall were not present and will collect their rewards at a later date, along with Stern John and goalkeeper Clayton Ince.

Team captain Yorke got $1 million in UTC units and $250,000 cash. He left earlier in the week for Australia, and was issued a diplomatic passport.

In his brief address, T&T Football Federation (TTFF) second vice president Raymond Tim Kee praised the Government for its efficient handling of the presentation of awards.

“When I was told the awards would be ready for the players on Thursday, I was very happy and at the same time somewhat surprised,” he said.

“Perhaps, if this is a sign of how things will be handled now, then we can now look forward to better preparations for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.”

Tim Kee was quick to point out to the players, though, that if they didn’t put good use to the gesture presented to them by the Government, their rewards could evaporate quickly.

“A million dollars can evaporate in very quick time if you don’t seek financial advice,” he warned.

“I have known of too many people who have millions one day and then, the next day, they have nothing. Don’t get caught up with the fancy cars, but invest in real estate and let your wealth grow.”

Looking ahead to the 2010 World Cup, Tim Kee said:

“We at the TTFF know what we have to do and that process has already started.

“The private sector also needs to come on board from the beginning and support the team and their goals.”

Boynes made it clear that the rewarding of the members of the technical staff was still being discussed by the Government and would be made public once it was agreed by all parties involved.

UTC ready to disburse $

The Unit Trust Corporation yesterday received a cheque for just over $21 million from the Government to establish accounts in the UTC for the Soca Warriors’ reward.

UTC executive director Michael Alexander confirmed his office received the cheque from the Ministry of Finance at noon.

He said there were no terms and conditions attached to the cheque. The UTC, however, immediately acted on behalf of the team that went to Germany and those players who did not. It dispatched letters to each player through the Ministry of Sports to visit the UTC’s office to discuss personal details.

Alexander said the $21,050 million represented the reward for 38 players—24 who were part of the team in Germany and 14 others.

The footballers who represented T&T will receive units valued $750,000 while those who did not make the team will receive units worth $200,000.

Alexander said it had not been established in which of the UTC’s five investment schemes the funds would be invested. —SC

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors collect their bounty
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 11:10:56 PM »
This is good no sticking.. Well done..
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 11:15:35 PM »
Trinidad Express Version

Warriors get $24m in cheques

Anna-Lisa Paul alpaul@trinidadexpress.com

Saturday, July 1st 2006
[/size]

Members of the Soca Warriors pose with their cheques after receiving them at a ceremony yesterday at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain. From left are Densil Theobald, Silvio Spann, Kelvin Jack, Anthony Wolfe, Colin Samuel and Carlos Edwards.

More than $24 million worth of cheques was presented to the Soca Warriors yesterday as they received the financial rewards promised to them by Prime Minister Patrick Manning for their accomplishments at this year's World Cup Finals in Germany.

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation senior vice-president Raymond Tim Kee expressed surprise that the cheques had been prepared so quickly, as the presentation was made in under one week of Manning's promise.

Speaking at a ceremony yesterday to hand over the cheques at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, Tim Kee appealed to the players to seek professional financial advice as "$1 million could evaporate in a quick time".

Warning the players to beware of "fancy cars as they depreciate every day", Tim Kee told them they should "look toward real estate which appreciates every day".

He issued a challenge to the corporate sector to invest in sporting events beforehand, and not after the fact, as money was needed to ensure the comfort of players, coaches and assistants before major events.

Each of the 24 members of the Soca Warrior Squad and their representatives received $1 million, comprised of $750,000 in units from the Unit Trust Corporation and $250,000 in cash.

Presenting the cheques, Sports Minister Roger Boynes assured the 16 national players who did not make the Germany squad that they would receive $250,000, made up of $200,000 in units and $50,000 in cash.

Captain Dwight Yorke, who came out of retirement to lead the team was rewarded with $1.25 million, made up of $1 million in units and $250,000 in cash.

Pledging Government's commitment to ensuring the team for World Cup 2010 in South Africa was adequately prepared, Boynes said it was necessary to set aside funds early enough to facilitate necessary training sessions both locally and abroad, as well as friendly matches with other nations.

That last statement in bold is VERY ENCOURAGING.  If they move the same way with that like they move with the disbursement of these "rewards"....things really hopeful fuh true.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:20:30 PM »
But who's responsibility is it ?.. Gov or TTFF?

They have to be carefull that they are not mashing the toes of the TTFF and we must all rememebr too that there are other sports in T&T that need gov attention...

But I am highly optimistic that the right decisions will be made.
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 11:30:58 PM »

They have to be carefull that they are not mashing the toes of the TTFF and we must all rememebr too that there are other sports in T&T that need gov attention...

I jes happy that Government APPEARS TO BE investing in sport.  Perhaps this WC experience opened some eyes dat crusty wit too much yampee in dem.  Me eh know.

No disrespect to any other sporting organisation....but World Cup Football...more than any other event or individual achievement....and our greats' indvidiual achievements have been outstanding no doubt....has given our twin island republic as much exposure and goodwill.  As the TIDCO man say...you cannot BUY the kind of PR we got during this World Cup.  Now I know my statement above might upset some people and it was no way meant to slight or diminish their sport or achievement but for me....I stand by that statement.

Hopefully this is the impetus that Government needs to TRULY INVEST IN SPORT & CULTURE as a viable industry, for doing so will by extension invest in the nation's youth and this could well lead to a sense of pride and happiness forTrinbagonians everywhere.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 05:31:52 AM »

I jes happy that Government APPEARS TO BE investing in sport.  Perhaps this WC experience opened some eyes dat crusty wit too much yampee in dem.  Me eh know.

No disrespect to any other sporting organisation....but World Cup Football...more than any other event or individual achievement....and our greats' indvidiual achievements have been outstanding no doubt....has given our twin island republic as much exposure and goodwill.  As the TIDCO man say...you cannot BUY the kind of PR we got during this World Cup.  Now I know my statement above might upset some people and it was no way meant to slight or diminish their sport or achievement but for me....I stand by that statement.

Hopefully this is the impetus that Government needs to TRULY INVEST IN SPORT & CULTURE as a viable industry, for doing so will by extension invest in the nation's youth and this could well lead to a sense of pride and happiness forTrinbagonians everywhere.
So you running for office now? ;D

Good talk boy.
TnT Patriot

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 05:51:42 AM »
I'm surprised Wolfe didn't boycott the awards ceremony

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 07:52:52 AM »
:applause: :applause: :applause:  Well done T&T Government.  Allyuh eh lapse dis rounds.  Well done.

TTFF praises the Government for its efficient disbursement of awards.  Source: Trinidad Guardian[/size]

T&T midfielder Carlos Edwards receives his reward from Minister of Sport of Youth Affairs Roger Boynes at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, yesterday. Photo: Karla Ramoo

BY NIGEL SIMON

The short wait for the million-dollar reward packages promised by Prime Minister Patrick Manning to the Soca Warriors came to an end yesterday.

At a welcome-home rally for the team last Saturday, Manning unwrapped a $31-million package, bringing an end to speculation on what rewards were to be bestowed upon the players for qualifying for the World Cup on November 16.

Each of the the 24 players who represented T&T in Germany received $1 million ($750,000 UTC units and $250,000 cash).

The presentation was made by Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes in a brief ceremony at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, yesterday.

The players present to collect rewards for their historic achievement at the 2006 Fifa World Cup in Germany against Sweden, England and Paraguay were Aurtis Whitley, Densill Theobald, Kenwyne Jones, Atiba Charles, Carlos Edwards, Anthony Wolfe, Collin Samuel, Silvio Spann, Kelvin Jack, Jason Scotland and Cyd Gray.

Fellow national players, team captain Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Shaka Hislop, Dennis Lawrence, Marvin Andrews, Avery John, Brent Sancho, Cornell Glen and Evans Wise were not on hand to receive their rewards.

However, they were represented by family members.

Yorke was represented by his brother, former national cricketer Clint, Latapy by his younger brother Mark, and Hislop by his father George.

Vannesa John collected on behalf of defender Dennis Lawrence, Micah Andrews for his brother Marvin, Brenda Mc Creer-Hunte for Wise and Avery John, Keith Sancho for his son Brent, and Patricia Glen on behalf of her son Cornell.

England-born duo Ian Cox and Christopher Birchall were not present and will collect their rewards at a later date, along with Stern John and goalkeeper Clayton Ince.

Team captain Yorke got $1 million in UTC units and $250,000 cash. He left earlier in the week for Australia, and was issued a diplomatic passport.

In his brief address, T&T Football Federation (TTFF) second vice president Raymond Tim Kee praised the Government for its efficient handling of the presentation of awards.

“When I was told the awards would be ready for the players on Thursday, I was very happy and at the same time somewhat surprised,” he said.

“Perhaps, if this is a sign of how things will be handled now, then we can now look forward to better preparations for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.”

Tim Kee was quick to point out to the players, though, that if they didn’t put good use to the gesture presented to them by the Government, their rewards could evaporate quickly.

“A million dollars can evaporate in very quick time if you don’t seek financial advice,” he warned.

“I have known of too many people who have millions one day and then, the next day, they have nothing. Don’t get caught up with the fancy cars, but invest in real estate and let your wealth grow.”

Looking ahead to the 2010 World Cup, Tim Kee said:

“We at the TTFF know what we have to do and that process has already started.

“The private sector also needs to come on board from the beginning and support the team and their goals.”

Boynes made it clear that the rewarding of the members of the technical staff was still being discussed by the Government and would be made public once it was agreed by all parties involved.

UTC ready to disburse $

The Unit Trust Corporation yesterday received a cheque for just over $21 million from the Government to establish accounts in the UTC for the Soca Warriors’ reward.

UTC executive director Michael Alexander confirmed his office received the cheque from the Ministry of Finance at noon.

He said there were no terms and conditions attached to the cheque. The UTC, however, immediately acted on behalf of the team that went to Germany and those players who did not. It dispatched letters to each player through the Ministry of Sports to visit the UTC’s office to discuss personal details.

Alexander said the $21,050 million represented the reward for 38 players—24 who were part of the team in Germany and 14 others.

The footballers who represented T&T will receive units valued $750,000 while those who did not make the team will receive units worth $200,000.

Alexander said it had not been established in which of the UTC’s five investment schemes the funds would be invested. —SC

is only teet from Spann and Theobald  ;D.... hope the players take the advice regarding investing de money.....and not tink playin play whe is an investment.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 01:07:33 PM »
Exactly they did not stick. One less thing for Anil to watch on Spalkwatch. I want to cee how long it go take for TTFF to pay salaries. I sure that ain't goin to make the SPALKWATCH.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 06:13:53 PM »
I'm surprised Wolfe didn't boycott the awards ceremony

de man front an center showin all angles of he cheque.....

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>