April 20, 2024, 12:46:30 AM

Author Topic: Luton Town eyes Brent Sancho.  (Read 14104 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Luton Town eyes Brent Sancho.
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
By: Kevin Hatchard (clubcall.com).

Luton Town have registered an interest in signing Trinidad and Tobago international defender Brent Sancho, but are likely to miss out, writes Kevin Hatchard. 
The Gillingham centre-back has been on excellent form at the World Cup, forming a strong partnership with Wrexham's Dennis Lawrence as the Soca Warriors have drawn 0-0 with Sweden and frustrated England for 83 minutes of a 2-0 defeat.
Clubcall understands that Hatters boss Mike Newell has enquired about the player's availability, and would like to bring him to Kenilworth Road. The Hatters are in need of defensive cover, as they had to play striker Steve Howard as an emergency centre-back towards the end of last season.
Gillingham are willing to do business if they receive an acceptable cash offer, but clubcall has learned that Luton face fierce competition for the player's signature.
Several top European clubs are chasing the 29-year-old, and Belgian giants Anderlecht are the most prestigious of those clubs. Newell is hoping that Hatters star Carlos Edwards can convince his international team-mate to join him at Kenilworth Road, but it is by no means certain that Edwards will not also be the subject of several offers this summer.
Meanwhile, Mark McGhee is known to be chasing 2 strikers currently. One of them is thought to be Trinidad & Tobago forward Jason Scotland. Scotland scored 15 goals in 35 games for St Johnstone, as they finished second in the Scottish First Division resulting in a call-up to play for Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup Finals.
Port Vale's Chris Birchall is reportedly a target for Portman Road boss Jim Magilton
The 22-year-old midfielder impressed many observers with his displays for Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup and Ipswich are set to make a £150,000 according to reports on Sunday. Birchall has been with League One Port Vale for the whole of his career to date, notching up 91 appearances to date.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:23:02 AM by Flex »

MickeyRat

Re: Luton Town eyes Brent Sancho.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 07:28:11 AM »
Ah like that man.  De Rasta stocks on the rise.   :afro:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:55:24 AM »
Look at them now, I remember when ManU let go Yorke and TnT stocks went down for a few years well.  Now everyone want a Trini on dey team :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:05:47 AM »
What about Cornell and Kenwayne, anything for them yet?

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:11:22 AM »
I heard a rumour, that Brent had a big big falling out with the Gillingham chairman, who told Sancho he would never play for teh Gills again. This would be a good bit of business for both teams and for the guy himself.

Luton are a decent championship side and have a very good manager, a move to Anderlecht, although it may sound better, may not be such a good call.

It will also please my Luton supporting Trini friend.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 08:12:48 AM »
I heard a rumour, that Brent had a big big falling out with the Gillingham chairman, who told Sancho he would never play for teh Gills again. This would be a good bit of business for both teams and for the guy himself.

Luton are a decent championship side and have a very good manager, a move to Anderlecht, although it may sound better, may not be such a good call.

Pompey, could you explain the above statement in bold?  Just curious, since you may have more info. 
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »

Pompey, could you explain the above statement in bold?  Just curious, since you may have more info. 

On the surface it is a good move because Anderlecht plays in the champions league regularly but I'm not sure about the standard of the Belgian football but Belgians are rather dull as a people  ;D.

Yes I know I am not Pompey.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 08:25:06 AM »
Look at them now, I remember when ManU let go Yorke and TnT stocks went down for a few years well.  Now everyone want a Trini on dey team :devil:

I just hope some of our young  players in the pro league benifit from tihis also.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 08:32:30 AM »

On the surface it is a good move because Anderlecht plays in the champions league regularly but I'm not sure about the standard of the Belgian football but Belgians are rather dull as a people  ;D.

Pretty much what I woud have said though. ;D

He is also more likely to play regular first team football at Luton.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 08:40:56 AM »
I hope he chooses the Championship.......i think the standard would be a bit higher than in the belgian league, but i dont know for sure.

Yes anderlecht plays 6 games in the champions league each year, but what about the standard of the other 35 games.

I hope he stays in england and eventually gets into the premiership.

for de next world cup, it will be nice to have at least 10-15 of our players playing the top leagues abroad.

players like

carlos edwards
collin samuel
kenwyn jones
chris birchall
kelvin jack
brent sancho
cornell glen
densil theobald
aurtis whitley
atiba charles
scott sealey

feel free to add any players i might left out.

nb: TI, do not put hardest......lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 08:48:43 AM »

The Belgian Jupiler League is a good standard that US defender Onyewu played there. Some years back Gent give real madrid a run  Anderlect beat manu united  in group play i think KOLLER played with them at that time.

but he should stick with luton
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 09:02:43 AM »
I hope he chooses the Championship.......i think the standard would be a bit higher than in the belgian league, but i dont know for sure.

Yes anderlecht plays 6 games in the champions league each year, but what about the standard of the other 35 games.

for de next world cup, it will be nice to have at least 10-15 of our players playing the top leagues abroad.

players like

carlos edwards
collin samuel
kenwyn jones
chris birchall
kelvin jack
brent sancho
cornell glen
densil theobald
aurtis whitley
atiba charles
scott sealey

If Kenwynne stays where he is, I hope he doesn;t play in the Premiership ;D

Actually, scum fans (our pet name for S**thampton) all say that he is a good player, but he has an appalling first touch which really lets him down. He will be working under a good manager in George Burley so that should do him the world of good.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 12:23:03 PM »
Based on what you all are saying I also  rather Brent at luton. Anyone in here knows which clubs are interested in Edwards I think he should only accept prem clubs offers

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 12:38:02 PM »
Luton town are also interested in signing Kenywyne Jones AND Cornell Glen !
i will be kinda disappointed to see Glen in a league one team.......
but yuh never kno ..it mite work out for the best

TrinInfinite

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »
4get luton town, go to de belgium club, dey playing in the champions league, luton town eh reaching dey, ah higher standard of ball in the champions league :beermug:

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »
EPL is NOT NECESSARILY the league to aspire to for improvment.  Plenty people jes have EPL on the brain and think is the be all and end all.  Yeah..it go be nice to watch and follow we players on TV (unless yuh goin to teams like Potsmouth and West Ham when yuh lucky to see dem twice fuh de year IF dey get pick dat day) but EPL & British Leagues is not where football begin and end (although ah sure if have some who will strongly disagree).

Check the Brazilians and Argentine's for example.  More often than not, their prodigies go to Holland FIRST (especially Brazil e.g. Romario, Ronaldo etc)...THEN to Spain.

If you want to learn to play FOOTBALL at the highest level....go to Spain

If you want to improve technique and LEARN the right way to play football...think of it as beginners....go to Holland

If you want to increase speed and endurance....play in the EPL

If you want to learn to play attrition football....play in Serie A

All of our players tend to go the British route and there is a good reason for that...mainly culturally and language.

But it is NOT NECESSARILY the best place to develop our players IN MY OPINION
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 02:10:01 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »

The Belgian Jupiler League is a good standard that US defender Onyewu played there. Some years back Gent give real madrid a run  Anderlect beat manu united  in group play i think KOLLER played with them at that time.

but he should stick with luton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcG7FJWcxM <<<< Onyewu (Good Video)

On the top i think that is a good move for Sancho decent club that are likely to stay in the championship next year, at this rate somebody will have to set up a Luton-Trini Supporters Group ;)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 01:56:13 PM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 02:05:04 PM »
Any move upwards from Gillingham is a good idea.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »
I think a move to anderlecht is the best bet....a good showing in the champions league would bring more interest to him

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 03:59:32 PM »

players like

carlos edwards
collin samuel
kenwyn jones
chris birchall
kelvin jack
brent sancho
cornell glen
densil theobald
aurtis whitley
atiba charles
scott sealey

Of that list, I can safely say that Theobald wont be playing in a top European League........EVER. The highest league he MAY get to in England is League One (old 3rd div.)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 04:01:28 PM »
Of that list, I can safely say that Theobald wont be playing in a top European League........EVER. The highest league he MAY get to in England is League One (old 3rd div.)

I'll save this post for further reference.  ;)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »

yes do that because some of these guys just rediculous. Typical Crab in the Bucket mentality.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 06:06:51 PM »
From all this hype i hope they invite some scouts to our league and market some of our younger players.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 06:17:52 PM »
From all this hype i hope they invite some scouts to our league and market some of our younger players.
If they are good enough I hope they get a Wp  :-\

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
By: Kevin Hatchard (clubcall.com).

Luton Town have registered an interest in signing Trinidad and Tobago international defender Brent Sancho, but are likely to miss out, writes Kevin Hatchard. 
The Gillingham centre-back has been on excellent form at the World Cup, forming a strong partnership with Wrexham's Dennis Lawrence as the Soca Warriors have drawn 0-0 with Sweden and frustrated England for 83 minutes of a 2-0 defeat.

Sancho and Lawrence should package themselves together so they can continue their formidable centre-back partnership in one of the top league in Europe.  I mean if they can shut out the likes of Larsson, Ibrahimovic, Owen, Rooney, Crouch (minus the hairpulling) then imagine what they can do against the average EPL, La Liga or Serie A strike partnership.  Not to mention at a top team they will be surrounded by a much stronger supporting cast of wing-backs, midfielders and strikers who can possess the ball and put pressure on the opposition instead of having to face 90 minutes of pressure themselves.  Together they should be able to start for a mid-table EPL club at least!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:39:19 PM by arrow »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 06:38:55 PM »
Any move upwards from Gillingham is a good idea. Could not say it better especially after he suffer the man after the Bahrain game.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
no sticking- transfer wheels in motion already
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 06:45:41 PM »
Tottenham sign Ivory Coast midfielder Zokora

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) - Ivory coast midfielder Didier Zokora has joined Tottenham Hotspur from French Ligue 1 team St Etienne, the English Premier League club said on Friday.

The 25-year-old played at the World Cup finals in a tough Group C which also featured Argentina and Netherlands.

'Didier was regarded by a lot of people as one of the best midfield players going into the World Cup and he proved that in the group stage,' said Spurs manager Martin Jol.

'A lot of clubs were after him. We had to compete for his services and he is a very good signing,' he told the club's official website.

Tottenham did not give any financial details but British media said they paid St Etienne just over £8 million ($14.66 million) to sign the player on a five-year contract.

Zokora, who came through the ASEC Abidjan academy that has been responsible for developing many of the Ivory Coast squad players, joined RC Genk of Belgium in 2000.

After four years in Belgium he switched to France where he made 66 appearances for St Etienne.

'I'm extremely happy because there are a lot of really good players here and I'm glad to be joining them,' said Zokora. 'The core of the team is very young and we can build for the long term. This is something which really attracted me to the club.'
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2006, 05:30:11 AM »

yes do that because some of these guys just rediculous. Typical Crab in the Bucket mentality.
How is calling a spade a spade 'crab in the bucket mentality' steups. What on earth has Theobald done to suggest that he WILL make it into a top European team. Certainly not any performance I have seen. De man cant even make Falkirk first team. Because Beeinie decide to start with him in the WC you getting tie like a market crab?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 06:15:40 AM »
if dey want him to play as a central defender he going tuh have tuh cut off de " Cruoch rope"
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>