May 01, 2024, 04:53:53 AM

Author Topic: Losing your accent  (Read 35824 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: how come it so easy to lose a trini accent?
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »
Try going through ah drive thru in rural America and see how frustrating it is to order ah "powade".
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
wais a "powade"   ???

No I being serious and I trying to pronounce the word in meh head in all kinda accent...what is that?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:55:18 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
wais a "powade"   ???

No I being serious and I trying to pronounce the word in meh head in all kinda accent...what is that?

i too... you sure you eh mean ah "powah-ade"
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
steups apart from makin sure u enunciate your Rs, speak slower and avoid mispronunciations, americans understand u just fine........have spoken to 'nough CSRs and tech support people in the last couple years to realize dat Trini does jus play d ass
Breds, i find trinis does tote to much feelings fuh small ting oui, the ppl who want tuh talk yankee whether they are in foreign for a week or 70 yrs, it's still their prerogative.

IMO, that's like telling ah trini he cyar like ackee and salt fish just bc we doh eat it in trinidad, and i did have trinis who ask me why i was eating that. mind you, those are the same trinis who will go into a japanese restaurant tuh eat sushi, not that anything wrong with eating sushi, but they always finding fault with the way other ppl live while they themselves are guilty of other things.

IMO it's small mindedness when anyone could find enough time to focus on the way other ppl chose to conduct their lives, especially when the lives of others don't directly collide with theirs. as the saying goes "small mind discuss people".  truer words have never been spoken.   :)

and your point is what exactly......I made mine..........d required adjustment is slight at best.......and mostly grammatical.....how it is dey does understand "well spoken" jamaicans, dem doh change dey accent for nobody, and we well...............I never leave trini shores and I could pull off Scottish, Irish and even ah drunken Russian accent with little effort :laugh: ..............I feel we have ah serious identity crisis goin on in we head....eddar dat or we jus talented :P
I pity the fool....

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
wais a "powade"   ???

That's how elmer fudd does say 'parade'

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Try going through ah drive thru in rural America and see how frustrating it is to order ah "powade".
again enunciate dem damn Rs  ;)
I pity the fool....

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
I would say that even when I speak slowly and correctly, many Americans have a hard time understanding me, so I would not be so quick to judge some foreign-based Tobagonians and Trinidadians for changing their accent.

Although speaking with proper syntax is very important, some Americans just can't seem to understand the way some of us pronounce our words. It is very frustrating for me to repeat myself when I know I have expressed myself clearly (to my ears anyway).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
steups apart from makin sure u enunciate your Rs, speak slower and avoid mispronunciations, americans understand u just fine........have spoken to 'nough CSRs and tech support people in the last couple years to realize dat Trini does jus play d ass

You really think that your experience with " 'nough CSRs and tech support people" is representative of how comprehensive the Trini accent is to the average American ear?

...I never leave trini shores

This right there says it all.  You would do wise to remind yourself of this fact before you set out to criticize others for something you know nothing about.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:15:00 PM by Bakes »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
how it is dey does understand "well spoken" jamaicans, dem doh change dey accent for nobody,

Yuh talkin' sh*t.  It have plenty Jamaicans twangin' dey yankee real hard... Dem does switch code like a programer...

Stay dey and get tie up. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »

You really think that your experience with " 'nough CSRs and tech support people" is representative of how comprehensive the Trini accent is to the average American ear?

Are they not American....and as such ...capable of being a reasonable sample
...I never leave trini shores

This right there says it all.  You would do wise to remind yourself of this fact before you set out to criticize others for something you know nothing about.

proof of interaction is proof of interaction..........I'm talking about no 10min chit chat here I talking day/hours long  support sessions over a phone(this alone adds variables of difficulty) for over a two year stretch, across many american accents,  even dropped of into casual moments with my speech and I found the most  difficult thing for them was the Rs...... seemed to trip them up something fierce, now I will concede that familiarity may have played part in it, but I dont think it is in all cases, as I hardly ever spoke to the same person twice and it was aloooooot of sessions................I interact with tourists that intimated that they were new to trini  and Traveling in general..we got along fine 'cept for them Rs and the THs ...............anyways I just got me that passport and a frien tryin to inveigle mih to run up state side with she so a goh be able to further test that theory soon enough..... but again I don't see the need for a wholesale switch unless you feel the need to be all 007 or something........time will tell though
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:22 PM »
Interacting with tourists and CSRs will never give you a true feel for interacting with a broad cross section of people in a society.  Next thing yuh go tell we is that all Trinis speak with ah "Convont" accent like dem news people.  At least foreigners would be justified in thinking that by looking at Trini broadcasts, no?

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:39 PM »
lol.......

dis bredda iz pure kicks... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wcjJVIRCrA&feature=relmfu   
Ah say it, how ah see it

truetrini

« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2012, 01:41:57 AM »
wais a "powade"   ???

That's how elmer fudd does say 'parade'

hahahahahahahahaha :rotfl:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2012, 06:00:40 AM »
I've lost a lot of my trini accent but I still have the inability to properly enunciate my "th's"

Talk about Trini's loosing their accent, what about identity... A couple years ago the wife and I threw a party and one of our guest brought an Indian woman. Trini Indians are a bit different in appearance from India's Indians (no... not because our indians fail to bobble their heads when they speak) but some of the words she used in constructing her sentences were more or less trini... like "it have." Only trinis I know use this phrase, so I asked her which part of trinidad she from, she say she's from India... with faint hints of a trini accent.  :-\

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
One big thing I noticed is that here in the UK people tend to understand me better on the phone..Well at least when ordering takeout..In the hospital it is level pressure to get people to understand me. Still never change my accent. Just slow down and speak as clear as possible.
Back in Trini...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
de trini accent is to be preserved when abroad.

is a definite p*ssy wetter...if they could understand u.

from living in the us, i find i could talk 100% trini to african americans and hawaiians and they will understand. the rest is only get bout 50%.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
I've lost a lot of my trini accent but I still have the inability to properly enunciate my "th's"

Talk about Trini's loosing their accent, what about identity... A couple years ago the wife and I threw a party and one of our guest brought an Indian woman. Trini Indians are a bit different in appearance from India's Indians (no... not because our indians fail to bobble their heads when they speak) but some of the words she used in constructing her sentences were more or less trini... like "it have." Only trinis I know use this phrase, so I asked her which part of trinidad she from, she say she's from India... with faint hints of a trini accent.  :-\

Trini accent/dialect as we know it today has a very large indian influence. 

Not surprising that you hear similarities between accents from Trinidad and (certain parts of) India - I recognize the similarities very often as well. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
One big thing I noticed is that here in the UK people tend to understand me better on the phone..Well at least when ordering takeout..In the hospital it is level pressure to get people to understand me. Still never change my accent. Just slow down and speak as clear as possible.

this what I do......to good effect............ah goh see wais d scene when ah start to travel otherwise.......I still dont get d sense that assimilation is necessary as people make it out to be, especially states side, not saying doh make adjustments, mind you, that goes without saying....I just question d degree of said adjustment, dais all
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:33:01 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »

Yeah, when I lived in the UK as long as I spoke slowly people never had a problem understanding me. So i never bother trying to change the accent or delve up in the "mate, innit and blimey" like the others, i just talk with my same accent but more slow and deliberate..

I used to be one of them men who would say i eh conforming or code switching for nobody and laugh at the men who did..

When i moved to the States though i realize that people had difficulty understanding me even if i spoke slowly. If i didn't want to get level "Huh ???" it was necessary to enunciate certain words like Americans... Words like Battery and Connecticut, anything with t's.

Although I never totally switch up my accent, i did have to maintain a kinda compromise lingo where i kinda drag out my speech. What i will say though is that I found that from a professional standpoint, not having a full on American accent was a handicap.

It cool on a social level and is no scene if yuh doing a normal 9-5, but i found that it was a question when i started interviewing for jobs in more decision making or critical capacities. I got questions like how i managed communication with clients with my accent etc, which at the end of the day is one extra question i know the next man coming through that door would not have to deal with.

To each his own yes.

trinis like him i tend to stay away from.

these are the kinda trinis who like tuh put flags on their rare view mirrors or don the red white and black custom license plates. they make it to every boat ride, and knows everyone's business, and often bring petty strife to yuh door step, especially if yuh have a trini woman that they know and want.

I could so relate to this yes, here it is i thought it was only me notice this with the foreign based trini cliques. Crab in a barrel mentality run rampant.

truetrini

« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »
Breds in America you have to make little modifications, and even so, is still huh? in my ass regular and I here long time.

One time in teh military I ask my boss to elave to go to the furniture store, she watching me and saying..what?  Huh?  over and over, until ah Jamaican come in and say it in ah yankee accent...I start to adjust after dat.  anything with ah t or r...yuh have to make adjustments.

Buh I find black americans hard to understated too

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
Breds in America you have to make little modifications, and even so, is still huh? in my ass regular and I here long time.

One time in teh military I ask my boss to elave to go to the furniture store, she watching me and saying..what?  Huh?  over and over, until ah Jamaican come in and say it in ah yankee accent...I start to adjust after dat.  anything with ah t or r...yuh have to make adjustments.

The problem isn't because ah yuh accent... is because yuh does talk like yuh does type  ;D

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2012, 02:57:06 AM »

The problem isn't because ah yuh accent... is because yuh does talk like yuh does type  ;D

I think this time yuh could blame it on his medification
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2012, 05:49:09 AM »
*steups*

allyuh mad oui,, I livin in dis place so long, I does be dreamin with a freshwater accent
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2012, 06:43:52 AM »
Are we talking about dialect or accent?

Many confuse the two.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
I more does call it a "switch", according to the context.  But on a serious note, if I break out in a pure dialect, it's like a language of its own.  From my time living and working in the UK for a bit, it is easier to retain a Trini accent speaking standard English, as we stress the same syllables as the English.  But think about it, Americans have problems understanding an English accent too, and it's because they pronounce their words similar to us.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Losing your Caribbean Accent: Selling out or Blending in?
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
Losing your Caribbean Accent: Selling out or Blending in?
By Karel McIntosh (Outlish Magazine)

Are you a sell-out if you lose – or switch – your accent? Or are you just doing whatever you think is necessary to be accepted in a new culture?

Experts say that your accent is pretty much ingrained by 17. So I often do a mental double-take, when I hear adult, Caribbean immigrants spouting Yankee or Cockney – a seeming rejection of their sweet, native sound, which is music to the ears of fellow countrymen on foreign soil, who can’t help but smile when they hear that familiar lilt. And I wonder, what’s the real difference between people who keep their accent, and those who don’t? Can you naturally lose your accent, or do you choose to lose your accent?

There are many sides to this story.

Firstly, there are people like me, who believe that your accent is a part of your cultural identity. It’s what you naturally sound like, so you should keep it. I wouldn’t switch, and didn’t have to while I worked and studied in England. But there are those who insist that they need to change their accent to sound less ethnic, fit in, and get ahead in the corporate world – especially if they’re of a minority race. They switch their native accent off at work, and on in personal settings.

Nothing drove this home for me more than the surprise I got, when I called a friend in New York, and heard a very American version of her usually Trini voice telling me to leave a message. I jokingly told her to tell her Trini alter ego to return my call, and when she did, she explained that she’d changed her greeting, so that when companies called her for references for Trini friends, they’d give more credence to an American voice.

Other people go to the extreme – adopting a foreign accent full time. Some people, however, refuse to do this – regardless of how long they’ve lived abroad. And they never experience any serious problems due to sounding different, aka having an accent. All they do – like thousands of other immigrants – is speak slower and clearer, avoid dialect, and stick to Standard English, so that people can easily understand them, and not laugh when they say tuhtee-tree instead of thirty-three. Right Rihanna?

Not everyone can retain a strong accent in this multicultural world though. Ever heard a London-based Trini speak with a hybrid accent? It’s a mix of British and their Caribbean accent. Or a relative in Miami who says some things in Yankee, and then switches to shouting, “Wham to you boy?” the next? What about those who sound almost as bad as those actors who make a mess of a Caribbean accent?

I guess they never actively set out to dilute or lose their accent. It just happened. Why?

“I would say working in the oilfield…having an accent is never an issue since you encounter someone with an accent different from yours every day,” says New York and Africa-based Jenny from Trinidad. “But I’ve been told that my accent switches depending on who I’m talking to. When I first started university in ‘The States’, I found out I’m a fast-talking Trini, so I slowed down and eventually I guess I lost my accent to the point that, whenever I returned to Trinidad, people would make fun of me for talking Yankee. This really annoyed me, but more importantly I felt like somehow I had lost my identity, especially since Americans could always detect my Trini accent…but most Trinidadians always hear me with a watered-down accent.”

This is the hurtful part for people who genuinely love their country and never meant to lose their accent – the feeling of being a sell-out, or having people laugh at them, or – as we Caribbean people say – ‘watch dem funny’. I guess if you’re from the Caribbean, gave up your accent, and hang out with other people who do the same, no one will ‘call you out’. But, when you land home, like Jenny, you’re sure to get it.

But I can see how one’s accent may weaken. Have you ever found yourself unintentionally talking like someone you spend a lot of time with, or picking up their inflections? Maybe that’s it. Mimicking by accident…until the real thing gets partially buried.

People’s reason for switching accents, in most cases, has nothing to do with being ashamed of where they’re from. And it isn’t about comprehension – since a simple change in pace and switch to Standard English can remove room for miscommunication. It has more to do with issues like stereotypes and prejudice…stereotypes and prejudices that aren’t an issue only in adulthood.

Cy, who left Trinidad, as a young boy, but still retains his accent, says: “Whilst growing up in the UK, I actually encountered a few issues re accents. In school, I was seen as an alien, as my Caribbean accent didn’t fit in with the Caribbean accents that the students had been used to. They were accustomed to hearing Jamaican and Vincentian accents, but certainly not Trini. I was called Welsh on a number of occasions due to the similarity of the two accents. Some even went as far as criticizing me for trying to put on a Caribbean accent, and laughing at me at my failed attempt. The irony being that I wasn’t trying. I was just being me and I felt different. Not sounding British wasn’t the problem, but not being accepted was difficult to deal with as a teenager.”

This isn’t uncommon for people who migrated as children or teens. And, if this type of harassment made school a living hell for them, or scarred them, can you really blame them if they change their accents to avoid that treatment in their adult years? After all, not everyone may have been as attached to their accent as Cy, who went on to make his ‘Trinidadianness’ work for him, as a manager in the construction industry, converting icebreaker mimicry of his accent into meaningful conversations that drove sales.

But intercultural communication will sometimes require speakers to adapt how they speak – especially if they have a heavy accent, or use dialect. Right?

Aaron, a Trinidadian professor living in the US, who migrated as a teen, says: “I don’t see the need to adopt an American accent, and I truly don’t understand why some other immigrants tend to do that. I think once you make your words clear, construct real sentences and use Standard English, you will almost always be understood regardless of your accent.”

Francis, a Jamaican, who was born in the US, and worked there for over 20 years, before moving back to Jamaica, has a different take, however.

“There is research that shows that Americans think that people with accents aren’t as intelligent,” he says, in a still-strong Jamaican accent. “I got a lot of smiles and nods because people couldn’t understand me at first, and then I learned I had to modify my accent to be understood. The faster that one adopts an accent, the easier it is to join the mainstream, and this is where the power and money lie. There are some Jamaicans who picked up stronger accents in a year than I picked up in 20. I refused, as I always intended to come home.

“I worked in an ultra-liberal research environment (AT&T Bell Labs) that was ram packed with foreigners. In some other male-dominated places, I would have been ‘encouraged’ to become less ethnic. Jokes, digs, slights – they all would have become part of the reality to get me to become more ‘mainstream’.”

Francis’ rational is informed by the Conservative perspective.

“There are certain keywords that Americans use (and especially people like Mitt Romney) to talk about the need for others to conform to the standard,” he explains. “It’s important to know that one’s choice of accent places you in one of their three buckets, like it or not.

1. The White bucket – quite a few Caribbean people pick up ‘mainstream’ accents, marry white people, and stay away from Black friends and relatives. Some even become Republicans.

2. The Black bucket – most end up sounding like Black Americans, who they assimilate into more often than not.

3. The Other bucket – a few stick to their guns, and end up being seen as outsiders. They eat curry goat, wear costumes on Eastern Parkway, and jerk anything in sight.

Each person makes an unconscious choice as to which group to join. It affects everything from that point and shapes their family’s destiny.”

This is why he also believes that immigrants’ children are more likely to be more successful than their parents, “simply because their parents’ accent, experience and cultural norms don’t help their professional success”.

But Aaron (the Trini professor) doesn’t see it this way.

“In my humble opinion, if you’re working somewhere, and even when you speak clearly, you’re going to get negative responses just for having an accent, then you’re not working in a healthy environment. If an accent is so intolerable, then such a working environment is one where prejudice and bigotry can easily surface, if it has not done so already.”

In the article, “Can you lose your accent”, Yan Guo – Assistant Professor at the University of Calgary (Canada) explores this dynamic. Guo acknowledges that “The native accent is unnecessary for intelligibility, even from the point of view of native speakers.” She also goes on to confirm what some suspect, by stating “that a native accent often serves as a marker for White English”, and that “a native accent signifies [that someone is] intelligent, educated and competent”.

Which can help explain why non-native accents are devalued in some social circles.

Therefore, some people’s fear of prejudice is justified – especially when one acknowledges the prejudices towards immigrants and racial stereotypes that are attached to accents. Maybe this is why some people switch their accent, even before they know if it will be an issue.

Kevin, a Trinidadian architectural designer in Canada, says: “Canadians have always said positive things about my accent, and I have been encouraged to not change it. It is an immediate icebreaker in certain circles, since some folks are curious about where I’m from…although, I’m not naïve enough to imagine that people are not sometimes judgmental. Because Canada is a country that is sensitive to ancestral heritage, so much so, that many Caucasian Canadians identify, not as Canadian, but as ancestors of their forefathers – Irish, French, Hungarian etc. – issues with accents are, to a large extent, equated with a lack of world exposure.”

After all, it’s 2012, and it is normal to hear foreign accents in metropolis areas.

“I’ve moved from Trinidad, a melting pot of races, to London, a melting pot of accents, so my accent is not an issue,” says Latoya – a manager. “I can hear at least one of the 80,000 Jamaicans on the train to work every day! I’m proud that I specifically sound Trini, as people just love how we ‘sing’ when we talk.”

And there are some benefits to bringing out your full arsenal of Caribbean dialect. Like comedian Russell Peters says, “West Indians…they have a very interesting way of speaking…they put words together in a very interesting fashion.”

I’d even say it’s an art. And, if not practised, you’ll lose it.

“I find there are certain things I just can’t express in a Canadian accent,” says Toronto-based, Barbadian Reuben. “I need to get Bajan to do them justice. I know that some folk at my workplace sometimes have a hard time understanding me, especially if ah vex. But I don’t feel a way about it. Comes in handy fa cussing people…especially when they don’t understand they dotish rass gettin cuss.”

If you’re not a rebel like Reuben, or an advocate for accents like Aaron, maybe you keep those interesting things West Indians say to yourself. But saying it in your mind, or when you’re venting to a friend or family member, will go a long way in helping you to maintain your Caribbean sound.

If you’ve lost your accent somewhat, and you’re lucky, your accent will grow stronger, when you’re talking to other Caribbean people. So do it as much as possible to reclaim it. You could even try staying up-to-date with the latest slangs back home.

Being a cultural chameleon may be a part of some people’s coping mechanism, and I can’t judge people who’ve lost their accent harshly, if they really experience prejudice that they can’t handle. Hopefully, they’ll be lucky enough to realize the immigrant’s dream of getting a great job, and being fully accepted – accent and all.

However, if you don’t deal with those types of issues, and you still insist on losing your Caribbean accent, all I can tell you is this. Yuh see yuh accent? Try yuh bess, and be ready to pull it out at a moment’s notice. It’s how we West Indians instantly recognise each other, and, for a moment, feel as if we aren’t that alone in whatever part of the world we choose to explore.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:29:06 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Losing your accent
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
I had an experience once in my university days. Me and a bredrin going down to the recreation room on campus to play some pool. Both of us trini. Bounce up a guy playing by himself. On sight i could have sworn he was american, yankees hat and knicks vest. He asked "Sup dawg, ya'll tryin to play a game?" I was like "Yea, no scene".

D man switch up immediately upon recognizing our accents, "Aye allyuh from Trini or wah? I from Grande". Well me and meh bredrin nearly dead wit dat one. I agree with most that you have to make slight modifications for simply your own sanity from people asking you to repeat yourself.

But the american girls love d trini accent. When me and meh bredrin jump on d shuttle on campus, them american girls literally staring at us while we talking trying to understand what we are trying to say. We would intentionally speed up to confuse them, real kicks.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
G and yuh wasn't even white..hahaha u self know de kinda confusion when i talked in howard that took place.
who is d one with the freshwater accent in dat story tho? name and shame!
Back in Trini...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3U-r8T31Ns" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3U-r8T31Ns</a>
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
I had an experience once in my university days. Me and a bredrin going down to the recreation room on campus to play some pool. Both of us trini. Bounce up a guy playing by himself. On sight i could have sworn he was american, yankees hat and knicks vest. He asked "Sup dawg, ya'll tryin to play a game?" I was like "Yea, no scene".

D man switch up immediately upon recognizing our accents, "Aye allyuh from Trini or wah? I from Grande". Well me and meh bredrin nearly dead wit dat one. I agree with most that you have to make slight modifications for simply your own sanity from people asking you to repeat yourself.

But the american girls love d trini accent. When me and meh bredrin jump on d shuttle on campus, them american girls literally staring at us while we talking trying to understand what we are trying to say. We would intentionally speed up to confuse them, real kicks.

Funny one for you.

Me and meh cous at TGIF in lower Manhattan one Friday night a few years ago.  From our table he noticed a young lady whom he dated a while back in Miami sitting a few tables away with a few people including an "openly gay" gentleman.  Their table was quite raucous, so you could hear the openly gay guy in a seemingly thick American accent.

Anyway, dinner done, meh cous, reminsicing on this young lady and perhaps she was well, connect by the exit and start to talk.  Her friends were by the bar walking up and down.  Anyway, finally they came over to the door where she and my cous were speaking and her gay friend, again in American accent said, "yo, time to go hon, let's bounce".  So meh cous tell she someting in his trini accent to de effect, "see you later", at dat point de soldier buss out "all yuh from trinidad"  :rotfl:  nearly dead yes, was a moment
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>