April 19, 2024, 04:19:19 PM

Author Topic: Do we have a Football culture  (Read 4966 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Do we have a Football culture
« on: March 17, 2005, 10:09:36 AM »
I read on another island's forum aquestion pertaing to football culture. To question the legitamacy of our football culture is a bit erroneous. In deed we do have a footballculture as Brazil has one and England has one. Does it look the same ? That is the question.

If you were to examine the residual remnants of our colonial past, it would suffice to say that a culture of football is endimic to us as cricket.

To say we have an approach to it that is different from the U.S.A. would be more appropoe.

As West Indians, we do have a proclivity and perchant for approaching certain activities in particular ways. Sometimes we are successful and sometimes we are not. It is the same with the U.S. They do not always dominate on the world athletic scene.

Approaches to training , facilities and economics are just some factors. Motivation, talent, abilities and a range of variables also influence outcomes.

I do beleiev that if we can field a regional Cricket team to compete internationally, why do we not consider a regional football team? and Olympic Athletic team?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:34:50 PM by Tallman »

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a Football culture
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:43:43 AM »
Good post.  I would say we had a stronger culture in de old days.  Maple vs Malvern etc.  It was district against district, class against class etc etc.  and de club teams had big crowds out in de Savannah.  Until we see dat again, I would not say dat we have a strong football culture compared to England and Brazil.  Dem passionate from club up.  Our club football is poorly attended when compared.  De marketing weak though.  Yuh would like to see more people walking de street with let's say Connection Jerseys or Defence Force stickers on car bumpers etc.  We still toddlers in this regard.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:56:45 AM »
Yes I would agree with you. I grew up in the era when North South matches rocked the interest of the entire nation. Long before East and west were involved. The rivalry was so intense that if yuh from south you wanted to put it to the north .

Teams like Defense Force; Police, Malvern. Maple Serachers Juniors Lantern Giants Wonderers.

I mean football was way of life  a dream for youth man to one day represent his country. Intercol was an event.

There was a happening a buzzz when football season started. What happened to the glory days?
What happened to the passion the soul the rivalry? Have we diluted our game in the name of expansion? Have we moved ahaed without insight to planning?

How do we instill this passion among our youths for the game? I remember  not sleepping as I prepared to face St. Mary's from town. back them they had an opportunitstic player called Woodly; a flash in the pan for one season.

Man how can we revive soccer in the land?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »
Yes I would agree with you. I grew up in the era when North South matches rocked the interest of the entire nation. Long before East and west were involved. The rivalry was so intense that if yuh from south you wanted to put it to the north .

Teams like Defense Force; Police, Malvern. Maple Serachers Juniors Lantern Giants Wonderers.

I mean football was way of life  a dream for youth man to one day represent his country. Intercol was an event.

There was a happening a buzzz when football season started. What happened to the glory days?
What happened to the passion the soul the rivalry? Have we diluted our game in the name of expansion? Have we moved ahaed without insight to planning?

How do we instill this passion among our youths for the game? I remember  not sleepping as I prepared to face St. Mary's from town. back them they had an opportunitstic player called Woodly; a flash in the pan for one season.

Man how can we revive soccer in the land?

All that was killed when they changed the structure of the local football to a National structure. They made the NFL and got rid of POSFL<SFL<SFA etc.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
we have a Football culture but not.....
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 03:47:12 PM »
It just struck me that we do indeed have a football culture but we DO NOT HAVE A CULTURE FOR FOOTBALL.

That is we have not cultivated the level of our game to match the skills, finess, tactical strategies, training methods and level of play that would put us in the top ten.

Just think at one time with less than we know now we were ranked 29 in the world.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 03:51:18 PM »
As I ponder this question, I am taken  back with the images of the coach leading the team in sessions. If you look at the TNT  football  Federation site go to the article TNT regroups for Honduras. You will see a picture where BSC is  actually  way in front as the team appears to be jogging.

If this old man could outrun we team, we in trouble. This episode reminds me of the novel "THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA by Hemmingay. Read it and you will see the connections and the moral. Trying in vein to catch the big fish aganist all odds. Did the old man have the tools or the fortititude?

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 04:58:50 PM »
I read on another island's forum aquestion pertaing to football culture. To question the legitamacy of our football culture is a bit erroneous. In deed we do have a footballculture as Brazil has one and England has one. Does it look the same ? That is the question.

If you were to examine the residual remnants of our colonial past, it would suffice to say that a culture of football is endimic to us as cricket.

To say we have an approach to it that is different from the U.S.A. would be more appropoe.

As West Indians, we do have a proclivity and perchant for approaching certain activities in particular ways. Sometimes we are successful and sometimes we are not. It is the same with the U.S. They do not always dominate on the world athletic scene.

Approaches to training , facilities and economics are just some factors. Motivation, talent, abilities and a range of variables also influence outcomes.

I do beleiev that if we can field a regional Cricket team to compete internationally, why do we not consider a regional football team? and Olympic Athletic team?

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 03:35:06 AM »
If this old man could outrun we team, we in trouble.   ;D

Alberta Trini you jokey yes.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
lets revive the culture.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »
Good post.  I would say we had a stronger culture in de old days.  Maple vs Malvern etc.  It was district against district, class against class etc etc.  and de club teams had big crowds out in de Savannah.  Until we see dat again, I would not say dat we have a strong football culture compared to England and Brazil.  Dem passionate from club up.  Our club football is poorly attended when compared.  De marketing weak though.  Yuh would like to see more people walking de street with let's say Connection Jerseys or Defence Force stickers on car bumpers etc.  We still toddlers in this regard.

Simple reason why that is so,because everybody in trinidad hoping they get through with the immigration lottery or marli street works out for them,so they could start supporting the warriors or a local club of there choice from the land of green and greed.

A Lot of things were different in de old days,like tolerance,respect,love of country(strong patriotism)and pride in oneself,and listen yuh doh need to have a jersey or a bumper sticker to be a fan or maybe fannatic,yuh just have to show up in numbers that's all...............

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 09:04:21 PM »
When I think of Trinidad and Tobago's football culture, the first thing that comes to mind is flair. Whats honored in a country is promoted there. We glorify the technical ability of individuals to beats man. Therefore, when a small boy envisions himself being a good footballer, he imagines himself beating his opponent with pretty drag, spanner, et al. He will, as a consequence, develop this part of his game moreso than other aspects. Of course, there are other aspects to T&T's football culture such as quick short passes with some tintilating combinition plays.   
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 12:59:22 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more S.P. Trinidad and Tobago experienced a serious brain drain during the mid 80's and post coup of 1990. It is my opinion that most of our valuable human resources took to the hills during the recession and post coup that brought about this lame responce in trinbagoians. i visited trini in 05 and what i saw made me rolled my eyes in disbelief, the place was so boring to visit. it was early september and there was no sporting activities no where to be found day or night. the queen's park savannah was empty and lifeless , it looked more to me like a pasture for farm animals than a recreational  park.                                                                                                                       there was no small gaol night leagues any where in P.O.S.  no basket ball no kind of sweating any where except for a few folks running around the savannah in the evening. i remember when i was a boy we couldn't find a single square inch of space to play ball except on fridays, now it seems to me that it's a night life culture more than the sporting culture it once was.            positive.

The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »
Again I think we keep looking at what use to be and not what is. T&T has made giant leaps in keeping up with North America and their entertainment industry. Kids now have much greater access to all the different electronics devices, latest trends and fads. I am sure there exist a greater population of "latch-key kids" around T&T now than pre-coup days. We cannot accurately equate then with now if we do not look at the different factors which influence/d a specific cohort group and the psychosocial dilemma encountered by kids then and now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 07:40:24 PM »
We use to have a serious football culture until it was highJACKed. The passion for the game almost gome. It holding on not by a string but by cobweb. The WC just the delaying the inevitable demise. When JACK really, really, really gone, then there will be a revival.

Somebody spoke about having a regional football team. That can only happen when the British come back.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 08:19:18 PM »
We culture is EMPTY STADIUMS.  We need more better ticket promotions

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 08:47:48 PM »
We culture is EMPTY STADIUMS. We need more better ticket promotions
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
We use to have a serious football culture until it was highJACKed. The passion for the game almost gome. It holding on not by a string but by cobweb. The WC just the delaying the inevitable demise. When JACK really, really, really gone, then there will be a revival.

Somebody spoke about having a regional football team. That can only happen when the British come back.

Well let’s bring them back   ;) .
The difficulties of forming an Eastern Caribbean Football Federation are largely administrative.  The politicians do not really care that much and the general public would be in favor of an ECFF.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 05:49:11 PM »

Well let’s bring them back   ;) .
The difficulties of forming an Eastern Caribbean Football Federation are largely administrative.  The politicians do not really care that much and the general public would be in favor of an ECFF.

administrative or financial? ???  the travel costs are significant.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »
Good Morning Guys,
                             I was only kidding when I made reference to the caribbean football team in that manner. It would be great to have  an Caribbean team. But the reality is that FIFA will only allow independent countries to play in the WC. Strike one against it. The other thing is, does this includes Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba, PR, DR. I am not sure they will want to be in this. I may be wrong. These countries are very patriotic and independent to their flags and anthems. Do you think they will want to be subservient to a Caribbean anthem.  You see how we does argue about who should get pick or who should be dropped right here in TT. That is a whole can of worms. If is TT and the rest of the smaller islands including Guyana/Suriname(maybe???), that would be great also. Selection of the team will still be a niggling issue. But the the talent pool would increase vastly. Then there is cost and travel logistics. Just travelling between islands can be a pain in the behind. If we can overcome our insularity, then maybe that will be a step in the right direction. I am for it, but past experience tells me that it will be exceedingly difficult

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »
I think the passion for the game by Trinibago fan's are longer there...back in the day's yeah

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »
Good Morning Guys,
                             I was only kidding when I made reference to the caribbean football team in that manner. It would be great to have  an Caribbean team. But the reality is that FIFA will only allow independent countries to play in the WC. Strike one against it. The other thing is, does this includes Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba, PR, DR. I am not sure they will want to be in this. I may be wrong. These countries are very patriotic and independent to their flags and anthems. Do you think they will want to be subservient to a Caribbean anthem.  You see how we does argue about who should get pick or who should be dropped right here in TT. That is a whole can of worms. If is TT and the rest of the smaller islands including Guyana/Suriname(maybe???), that would be great also. Selection of the team will still be a niggling issue. But the the talent pool would increase vastly. Then there is cost and travel logistics. Just travelling between islands can be a pain in the behind. If we can overcome our insularity, then maybe that will be a step in the right direction. I am for it, but past experience tells me that it will be exceedingly difficult

Mexico and USA would certainly approve that move. All they would need to do then is to eliminate us all in one beating!

However, it would be fun though to hear the complete cacophony of Trinis, Cubans, Haitians, Bajans, Jamaicans, Surinamese yelling at each others:  I'm open!, Arriba, conon! F***q, Ojuela! Ban m pas la! Aqui! Oh lala! ;D

...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »
Good Morning Guys,

Mexico and USA would certainly approve that move. All they would need to do then is to eliminate us all in one beating!

However, it would be fun though to hear the complete cacophony of Trinis, Cubans, Haitians, Bajans, Jamaicans, Surinamese yelling at each others:  I'm open!, Arriba, conon! F***q, Ojuela! Ban m pas la! Aqui! Oh lala! ;D

:rotfl:  Dat was funny, Toussaint, but true!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>