April 27, 2024, 08:48:17 PM

Author Topic: Lara considers quitting captaincy!!  (Read 2247 times)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lara considers quitting captaincy!!
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:48:01 AM »
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/current/story/252269.html

Lara considers quitting captaincy

Haydn Gill

July 3, 2006

Will Lara quit ... the front page of The Nation © The Nation

Brian Lara dropped a bombshell last night. He might be about to throw in the towel as West Indies captain - again. Frustrated by the turn of events since his appointment as captain for a third time, Lara revealed he would be reviewing his position in the coming days.

In a dramatic disclosure, he announced he had received a letter from the West Indies Cricket Board on the eve of the fourth Test match against India informing him he had been a member of the selection panel since May 28.

"There is a meeting coming up in a week and depending on who the selectors are, I'll definitely revisit my decision to captain the West Indies team," Lara told stunned reporters after West Indies lost the Test by 49 runs at Sabina Park, giving India a 1-0 series win. "It's painful what has gone on in the last couple of months, not just the Test matches, but the one-day matches. I have West Indies cricket at heart, but it's a situation where my reputation as a captain is being dragged down."

Throughout the series, Lara complained about not getting the teams he wanted and also expressed displeasure at not being a member of the main selection panel. As it turned out he was, but he never knew until last Thursday. "I made a couple of phone calls, and I'm totally blanked on certain situations," he said. "As captain, and not knowing I was a selector, I have to accept and move forward. "It did not affect my mood going into this Test match. I knew that I had a job to do, but these little inefficiencies are not becoming of a team or a board that wants to move forward."

On occasions, Lara said, his "hands were tied behind my back".

"I said in the press conference after St Lucia that in hindsight, the spinner should have played. Yet, two days later, he was dropped from the entire 14. How do you work these things out? You had seven batsmen; all of a sudden, you have eight. What do you need eight for?"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Lara considers quitting captaincy!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »
i would like to read how allyuh read this. in particular, what order do you think the following ppl stepping away from the WI cricket scene:

gordon,king and lara

i meself think it should be king first but that is because they need to change how they selecting the squad. when the captain is threatening to step down because he hands are tied he trying to incite change.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
i think after world cup lara callin it quits...
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »
i think after world cup lara callin it quits...

Yeah as an international player.. but he seems quite frustrated at the selectors so I feelin he go give up captaincy now..Listen to the audio interview and you go hear how disenchanted the man sounding

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 12:28:40 PM »
hold on bredda, lemme clap jefferz and de other assholes who will b de cause of dis >:( :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

relax bredda ... i think Lara referring to the first 3 test. The man asking for fire power and they not giving him. After Fidel get injured he ask for men like Tino best ...although a bit erratic still has some fire to trouble the Indian batsmen ...and the board continually keep blanking him.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »
hold on bredda, lemme clap jefferz and de other assholes who will b de cause of dis >:( :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Maybe if Lara had score more than 37 runs in test we wouldn't be feeding your seinse of importance.

A Captain's knock? Check Dravid, who did what was necessary.

(waiting for the bile now, I know, Lara can do no wrong)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »
Lara considers quitting captaincy

Haydn Gill

July 3, 2006

Will Lara quit ... the front page of The Nation © The Nation

Brian Lara dropped a bombshell last night. He might be about to throw in the towel as West Indies captain - again. Frustrated by the turn of events since his appointment as captain for a third time, Lara revealed he would be reviewing his position in the coming days.

In a dramatic disclosure, he announced he had received a letter from the West Indies Cricket Board on the eve of the fourth Test match against India informing him he had been a member of the selection panel since May 28.

"There is a meeting coming up in a week and depending on who the selectors are, I'll definitely revisit my decision to captain the West Indies team," Lara told stunned reporters after West Indies lost the Test by 49 runs at Sabina Park, giving India a 1-0 series win. "It's painful what has gone on in the last couple of months, not just the Test matches, but the one-day matches. I have West Indies cricket at heart, but it's a situation where my reputation as a captain is being dragged down."

Throughout the series, Lara complained about not getting the teams he wanted and also expressed displeasure at not being a member of the main selection panel. As it turned out he was, but he never knew until last Thursday. "I made a couple of phone calls, and I'm totally blanked on certain situations," he said. "As captain, and not knowing I was a selector, I have to accept and move forward. "It did not affect my mood going into this Test match. I knew that I had a job to do, but these little inefficiencies are not becoming of a team or a board that wants to move forward."

On occasions, Lara said, his "hands were tied behind my back".

"I said in the press conference after St Lucia that in hindsight, the spinner should have played. Yet, two days later, he was dropped from the entire 14. How do you work these things out? You had seven batsmen; all of a sudden, you have eight. What do you need eight for?"

© The Nation

read and learn jefferz, read and learn, ur not even at age tuh vote yet but yuh talking, shut yuh ass nah man
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:57:07 PM by TrinInfinite »

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 07:20:40 PM »
Why do we always like controversy?  ???  ???

Seems there was a miscommunication between Lara and the Board on the selection policy. Now this has led to a full blown controversy where Lara wants to quit as captain. Why can't the adminstrators and team not organise things properly in order to avoid these kind of problems and controversies?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 06:02:40 AM »
Why do we always like controversy?  ???  ???

Seems there was a miscommunication between Lara and the Board on the selection policy. Now this has led to a full blown controversy where Lara wants to quit as captain. Why can't the adminstrators and team not organise things properly in order to avoid these kind of problems and controversies?

gordon have to make some changes - the way that they were going before, giving so much of the selection power to the board and to king in particular, is methodical but it is alienating the players and the captain. there is no WI captain that will survive long if this situation persists. no other team is doing it this way. gordon have to pull the plug on this experiment gone awry. this policy isn't his - he inherited it. so he just needs to gather the support and change the selection policy.

my 2 cents

Offline essexgirl22

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 12:20:06 PM »
If I was Brian Lara I would walk out on the whole lot of them and leave them in the mess they are creating . He has nothing else to prove to anyone he has done it all during his career .

Those idiots who are saying if he did make 50 runs we would have won the match, please tell me why is it that people keep looking to him alone to save matches.

To  people like that dickhead  Bajan Tony Cozier........ :devil: :devil: :devil:  jealously boy........ what ever you all say you cannot take away his  RECORDS & ACHIEVEMENTS... so leave our Trini Boy Alone

1]; } ?>