April 25, 2024, 05:22:36 PM

Author Topic: offside rule ?  (Read 3927 times)

Offline santacruz

• Full Warrior
  • This year is the Dutch year!
    • View Profile
offside rule ?
« on: June 10, 2005, 11:21:06 AM »
what is the offside rule in regards to a keeper parrying a shot?cause real men talking bout the 1st goal was offside?somebody clear that up nah!
Fatima old boy graduate in '95 from Form 5, '97 from Form 6, lived in Santa Cruz.

jusme

Re: offside rule ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 11:29:51 AM »
I don't think he was offside.  I don't see why the rule wouldn't apply the same as it would to a hypothetical situation in which Jack had catch the ball and rolled it to him. 

In other words the fact that he received the ball off someone from our team keeps him onside.

Disclaimer:  This isn't intended as an explanation of the rule and I am not a ref, I just thought I'd put forward my reasoning for why it was a good goal (much to my dislike), because ppl arguing with me all over the place: home, work and everywhere.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 11:31:46 AM »
Read this: Law 11 - Offside rule. It includes diagrams which illustrate the rule.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:40:16 AM »

I only see the replays during the game but even if it was close I still doh think it was offside.

U have to look where the player was when the shot was taken and in real time it look offside but the replay to me show he was just in line.

I did see another offside call that went unchecked...the one with the scissors kick.  The guy who got the ball by the byline and corss it back....he look offside.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:51:17 AM »
When the shot was taken Borgetti was in an onside position so he is not offside,

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:54:10 AM »
When the shot was taken Borgetti was in an onside position so he is not offside,

CORRECT MR EXPERT! HE WAS ONSIDE.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 12:03:33 PM »
As far back as i can remember the Off-side rule has always been contraversal and is all because of the amount of different scenarios that's attached to it,so my position on it is left to the officials.The bottom line is where the player was when the ball was last played,was he interfearing with play.

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »
there is nothing controversial about this - he was off side - very offside. that rule is clear.

if the ball had gone past all defenders and keeper and he played it he would not have been offside if he was not offside when the ball is played

but

if the the ball rebounds from the keeper when you are in an offside position you are offside mate. its no goal. when the ball was played he was involved in active play and gained an advantage by being in that position.

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 01:33:56 PM »
If my 3 year old wasn't watching the game with me...two fists, a foot and the remote was going in the tv. I initially thought it was offside...but after TIVOing it...it was clear, he was onside when the shot was taken. However, I am not sure if he should be ruled offside after the ball was parried by the keeper.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 01:38:46 PM by BigToe »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 01:46:47 PM »
there is nothing controversial about this - he was off side - very offside. that rule is clear.

if the ball had gone past all defenders and keeper and he played it he would not have been offside if he was not offside when the ball is played

but

if the the ball rebounds from the keeper when you are in an offside position you are offside mate. its no goal. when the ball was played he was involved in active play and gained an advantage by being in that position.

You are incorrect.

Offside or onside is determined at the time that the ball is played forward by a team mate. When the ball came back off of Jack he was not offside because he was onside when the initial pass was made by his team mate.

He was never in an offside position because contact by Jack does not count as a forward pass by a team mate.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »
the first goal was not offside.  At no point was borgetti in an offside position.  Before the shot was taken, after the shot was taken or when he scored.  I've watched the goal over and over at least 10 times

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 01:51:57 PM »
I alos initially thought it was offside, but when the first shot was taken he was not offside. If he was and they gained and unfair advantage, then it would be considered and offside. But because he  was not offside after the first shot, and the ball came of Jack he cannot be considered offside. That is how I understand the rule...

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
contact by Jack does not count as a forward pass by a team mate.

You sure about that?  At least on the second goal Jack seemed like he was playing for the Mexican team  :'(

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
Re: offside rule ? Not only Jack to blame for 2nd goal.......
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 02:13:41 PM »
2nd goal was not Jack fault entirely, look at the replay, why d arse was Mr Rahim caught in no man's land ball watching while his man moved into a free position in the middle of we area.

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 02:24:42 PM »
If you don't know the rule you shouldn't be discussing football. It was a good goal no offside!!!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »
Guys up to now i have not seen the game or the Goal in question but i know the rules because it's my job,the key to any off-side is where the player is when the ball was last played,weather he is interfearing with play.Those of you that agree with this theory is right. 

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 05:10:22 PM »
well according to de link from tallman to fifa, see slide numbers 11 and 12 (correct me if i am wrong), but ent when de ball rebound off the keeper he was in ah offside position?

I agree when de shot was taken he was onside but when the ball rebounds off de keeper/or in some cases de crossbar he was in an offside position gaining an unfair advantage!

And that is what  slide 11 and 12 states to me!

but then again, i am a trini!! lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 05:52:15 PM »
Andre i think the difference is due to the fact that the ball came off the keeper indicates that the player was behind the ball not in front of it,how could he be Off-side.

jusme

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 06:32:20 PM »
Quotation: A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of The Referee, involved in active play by:
End of quotation

Everything else follows only if that statement is true.  Jack not on the man team.  therefore he was onside.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 06:45:58 PM »
Good Goal.  Time the ball was last played by his team mate he was in an Onside position.

Let's move on!!
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 07:18:37 PM »
Quotation: A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of The Referee, involved in active play by:
End of quotation

Everything else follows only if that statement is true. Jack not on the man team. therefore he was onside.

aye!! ytou deserve the prize for this kinda clarity...here is your final asnwer deepers

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 07:32:55 PM »

How alluh men doh know the offside rule by now?

True yuh does forget some things but not that.
Anyway, at least it go have something to argue about when men drinking   ;D

1]; } ?>