April 27, 2024, 05:55:18 PM

Author Topic: The Forgotten Warrior: where's Maximus' Chaconia Gold?  (Read 9635 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
The Forgotten Warrior: where's Maximus' Chaconia Gold?
« on: July 01, 2006, 07:56:27 PM »
Attillah Springer
Trinidad Guardian

The forgotten warrior

Many a pilgrim trekking out east

Moving through trenches like soldiers

Like priests

The weak and humble desire to rise

The repentant sinners

Live up in his eyes.

—Thanks for D Music, Andre Tanker

All things considered, I suppose $1 million is sufficient. Not that you can put a dollar value on what the Soca Warriors have done for our sense of who we are.

Maybe I’m just too cantankerous and hard to please but I was hoping to hear the Government rushing to build national sporting academies.

Maybe a football scholarship to UWI or its new UTT in the name of Latas or Dwightie so that the good bright ballers from here don’t have to depend on grants from US universities to get a further education.

And yes, the guy gives me the heebie jeebies, but surely the Government was being just a little bit petty by not recognising the contribution of our big man in the football business, Jack Warner.

But thank Jah the men who made us so proud don’t just have ball skills. Thank Jah I’ve heard them talking about sporting academies and about using sport as an intervention for this nation’s much berated youth.

Because I watched the look on the father of the nation’s face and I see like Father Patrick don’t really have any idea of what it is to love his nation.

He knows nothing of spirits lifted when he appears on the news speaking through clenched teeth, denying us the pleasure of seeing those famed dimples.

But one thing that really upsets me in this whole self-stroking charade put on by the Government in a belated attempt at celebrating the achievements of the Soca Warriors is this.

The twelfth man on the side. The reason why so many of us really took this football thing to heart even with all the fear and trepidation and memory of November 19, 1989, still fresh in our tear ducts.

I want to know where is Maximus Dan’s Chaconia Gold. Where are his accolades for creating a song more resonant and emotive than the national anthem?

Fighter is more than just a praise song for the Soca Warriors. Fighter is a nation-building song, a God Bless our Nation or Our Nation’s Dawning for the soca generation that has no recollection of that first unfurling of the red, white and black.

It’s not very often that we can really say that we have a song that demonstrates that kind of newness, that kind of freshness that rescues this modern soca music from its mediocrity.

In any other civilization the artist holds a valuable place in the society. The griot is a decorated man or woman. The one who sings the story of his or her people is well respected and decorated for the beauty of his voice and the eloquence with which he depicts the nation’s history.

When the story of T&T is written and they recall the first time we went to the World Cup, what will be said of Fighter.

How will they capture the goosebumps on the arms of every Trinidadian/Tobagonian in those stadiums? How can they document the hoarseness of thousands of people roaring in one voice oh oooh oh, oh oh.

In this time of snack-box soca and regurgitated melodies, Fighter stands out as a clarion call to those of us whose spirits flag. Who are disillusioned and not at all hopeful about the soca, about the politics, about the society.

I only have words. I’m not an overpaid stuffed shirt and unfortunately I’m way too poor to make Maximus the kind of award he deserves.

So thank you, Maximus, for the upliftment. Thank you for being consistent in your words and never falling for the seduction of fluff and fakeness that keeps this local music industry alive.

Thank you for being yourself, and having the kind of humility that only true warriors understand.

Thank you for singing out before we even qualified, for not jumping belatedly on a theme song bandwagon.

Thanks for the music, Maximus and hopefully one day this society will give you the accolades more deserving of a warrior of your stature.
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Warrior: where's Maximus' Chaconia Gold?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »
thanks fuh de song but that doh deserve no blasted medal

we go have to give sherwyne and marshall one too fuh making we wine whole carnival too

stupessssssssss
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 09:37:10 PM »
he gettin chaconia for soundin like a yardman, dis man mad or wha, come on, yuh might as well give beenie a chaconia too bc tt is his 2nd home, schupssss

Ahmmmm....I think Beenie DID get a Chaconia Medal.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 09:58:53 PM »

I want to know where is Maximus Dan’s Chaconia Gold. Where are his accolades for creating a song more resonant and emotive than the national anthem?[/b]

Ah eliminate much ah the post becuz ah wanted to highlight the 2 sentances that make  most of what yuh just say day as pure  TA TA.  :puking: 
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 10:58:58 PM »

I want to know where is Maximus Dan’s Chaconia Gold. Where are his accolades for creating a song more resonant and emotive than the national anthem?[/b]

Ah eliminate much ah the post becuz ah wanted to highlight the 2 sentances that make  most of what yuh just say day as pure  TA TA.  :puking: 

Breds....wasn't Sin write de article.  She jes repost here fuh we on de board.  Ah tink wha yuh say should be directed to Attilah Springer.  Now me eh know if Sin endorse wha Springer say or not but in de absence of dah knowledge...cyah say nutting else.  Respeck.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 04:15:13 AM »

Ah eliminate much ah the post becuz ah wanted to highlight the 2 sentances that make  most of what yuh just say day as pure  TA TA.

Breds....wasn't Sin write de article.  She jes repost here fuh we on de board.  Ah tink wha yuh say should be directed to Attilah Springer.  Now me eh know if Sin endorse wha Springer say or not but in de absence of dah knowledge...cyah say nutting else.  Respeck.

Berris, relax yourself eh. This board is a place to discuss issues related to T&T football. I thought the article was interesting and topical, even if I don't agree with all of it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 04:19:43 AM by sin »
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 05:51:27 AM »
Hhhhmmm....yeah I really like de song....was de best one out dey....but ah wouldn't go as far as giving him a medal.....

To make a better contribution to de Arts and Culture, de government should invest (and de corporate sector too) in the thing all round.  And of course de same could be said about football and sports in general....Ah just really hoping this achivement by the Soca Warriors really open this government (and any in the future) eyes to the potential of things like Sport, Music and Culture has.

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 05:57:07 AM »
yeah but dey did not even carry maximus to germany

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 06:03:08 AM »

Maximus was sitting a few rows behind me at d Paraguay game. He also performed in Dortmund. I dunno who paid for him to be there, but he was there. If he was already sponsored by Angostora/whoever den d govt cant pay for him as well.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 06:41:43 AM »

Maximus was sitting a few rows behind me at d Paraguay game. He also performed in Dortmund. I dunno who paid for him to be there, but he was there. If he was already sponsored by Angostora/whoever den d govt cant pay for him as well.

When de gov't (1 - 2 weeks before the tournament start) finally name de list ah people to go ....ah THINK Maximus was one ah dem but ah eh too sure, somebody goh correct mih....but he was dey cuz ah have mih pic wid him to prove it!!!.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:29:22 AM »

When de gov't (1 - 2 weeks before the tournament start) finally name de list ah people to go ....ah THINK Maximus was one ah dem but ah eh too sure, somebody goh correct mih....but he was dey cuz ah have mih pic wid him to prove it!!!.....

Along with Destra his main gig was with Angostura in Dortmund and Munich. Could be that the gov't then also gave him a side gig with their contingent since he was already there anyway.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 09:55:46 AM »

Ah eliminate much ah the post becuz ah wanted to highlight the 2 sentances that make  most of what yuh just say day as pure  TA TA.

Berris, relax yourself eh. This board is a place to discuss issues related to T&T football. I thought the article was interesting and topical, even if I don't agree with all of it.

Sin, no disrespect to you sorry if sound that way,as Palos say ah shud of direct my response to the original writer and that is what ah thought ah was doing,no problem ah go take yuh advise and 'relax'meh self ....cool?
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »

Along with Destra his main gig was with Angostura in Dortmund and Munich. Could be that the gov't then also gave him a side gig with their contingent since he was already there anyway.

D Government did take him 2 Germany ... it wasn't publicly finalized in d newspapers until about a week or two before d tournament, BUT, if u did look on his website & that of other artistes who were rumored 2 b amongst d T&T contingent, dey already had d dates 4 d various performances in Germany listed on dey sites & stuff ... Now I dunno Maximus myself, but I do know other people in d music industry who work closely wit Maximus & dey told me (b4 d tournament) dat Maximus (& sum a d other artistes) was goin Germany & dat d government was involved in organising 4 Maximus 2 go to Germany 2 perform.
Luv Kat

MickeyRat

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 06:23:50 PM »
If it eh the money now is the medal.

Can I have one?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 07:22:12 PM »
I for one think Maximus should get recognition of some sort.
Those of you who were there know that Fighter was the football anthem.
The song represent T&T as much as the fans and the players on the field.
When I reach back to my hotel in Dusseldorf, i was roused from my sleep at 5 in the morning by a familiar chant. At first I thought I was dreaming, but then I realize it was men making noise in the hallway. Me and my father was the only Trinis in that hotel. Had plenty English and some poles and others from around Europe.
You could say what yuh want about Maximus accent, the man songe make sense, they positive, and "Fighter" and I believe also "Victory" are songs for the ages.
So doh begrudge Maximus his accolades, he deserve them.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »
Soooo...the man who sing ''Portrait of Trinidad" otherwise known as Trinidad is my land, and of it I am proud and glad...got what? And what about Trini to D Bone? if that had come out during a World Cup year u doh think it woulda be even bigger than it was in a patriotic sense ? Allyuh men tryign to degrade national awards and make it easy for everybody to get one...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 08:37:05 AM »
Nah man,
It have all kinda ting that does go into making a song great, or just another track on the album.
Yes, Portrait of Trinidad is a classic, and really, Sniper should have a national award for a song that could be considered a second anthem.

i don't thik that the Chaconia Medal is in order for Maximus, (and I think Attillah is suggesting it merley as a tool to provoke debate) all i am saying is that The song Fighter was as much a part of the Soca Warriors World cup experience as was the play on the field. I believe that the song Fighter will be a part of T&T football for a long long time, and I think that Maximus Dan should be recognized (even if is only a newspaper article) for what may very well be his lasting contribution to T&T.

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 10:32:38 AM »
Since we giving out medals

What about Bunji, Chris Garcia, De Fosto, Ronnie mc Intosh, Nigel Fabien, Super Blue, In fact leh we go back to Lancelot Layne and Sound Rev. Oh what about Naya George, Patrice Roberts, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
No doh stop there,
The creator of the anthem,  the pledge, designer of the flag,  .............................................
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 11:14:58 AM »
So you feel the creator of the anthem (His name is Patrick Castagne btw) shouldn't get a medal (meaning some sort of national award) for the National Anthem?
What should people get medals for then?
Certainly it can be argued that all the soca warriors did was play 3 football games, didn't win any, and worse yet, didn't even score a goal.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 01:04:49 PM »

i guess this is what they could have done, but not no damn medal, is evrybody should get one. Best we give one to all the warrior moms for making their sons too

truetrini

How come Lincoln Phillips eh get ah million either?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »
What part he play in de team development etc.?  Isn't he directly in charge ah all national teams in T&T as it regards development?

How come me eh hear he name call out yet?

I go have tuh call meh boy and ask what de arse going on!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »
Nobody eh answer the question yet? What is worthy of a medal or national award then?

By the arguments i seeing here, the warriors shouldn't get nutten either.

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »
Nobody eh answer the question yet? What is worthy of a medal or national award then?

By the arguments i seeing here, the warriors shouldn't get nutten either.

National awards are at the discretion of the govt and wrought with ambiguity and, at worst, partisan pandering for political milage.
It should be like a Nobel prize with appropriate categories. Or, alternatively  an audience withthe president/prime minister could a be a reward (like the do for NCAA, NBA, NFL, etc. champs)

"The Nobel Prizes are prizes instituted by the will of Alfred Nobel, awarded to people (and also to organizations in the case of the Nobel Peace Prize) who have done outstanding research, invented groundbreaking techniques or equipment, or made outstanding contributions to society.

Prize categories
Nobel Prize in Physics (decided by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences)
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (decided by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences)
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (decided by Karolinska Institutet)
Nobel Prize in Literature (decided by the Swedish Academy)
Nobel Prize in Peace (decided by the Norwegian Nobel Committee, appointed by the Norwegian Parliament, Stortinget)
Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics (decided by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences) " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_prize
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 02:23:30 PM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How come Lincoln Phillips eh get ah million either?
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »
What part he play in de team development etc.?  Isn't he directly in charge ah all national teams in T&T as it regards development?

How come me eh hear he name call out yet?

I go have tuh call meh boy and ask what de arse going on!

Ask him whats up with the national under 20  team :(  oh and also ask him if he could do another Q&A on the site
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »
ask him why ttff did such a poor job selling and distributing tickets as well.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »
Certainly it can be argued that all the soca warriors did was play 3 football games, didn't win any, and worse yet, didn't even score a goal.

That argument should end with somebody getting a buss head.
People could diminish the team as much as they want but truth be told the majority of people are proud of the team and appreciative of their efforts from the start of WCQ all the way to the finish.  The government supposed to be representatives of the people so the award would be given on behalf of the people.

Maximus should get some recognition through the usual means....we have annual music awards and maybe other culture awards but a national award for a song is a bit much.

The principle reason for the germany "experience" is because of the football TEAM (not individuals though the award has to be given as such).  They are the PRINCIPLE reason...not everything else that went along with it.  Everything else from fan and artiste support followed from the team's efforts.  I don't believe the results in the WC diminsh what they have done and as a matter of fact most would say they did the country proud ON the field.

I believe you when you say Atillah posed the question to stir debate.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 02:44:05 PM »
Since we giving out medals

What about Bunji, Chris Garcia, De Fosto, Ronnie mc Intosh, Nigel Fabien, Super Blue, In fact leh we go back to Lancelot Layne and Sound Rev. Oh what about Naya George, Patrice Roberts, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
No doh stop there,
The creator of the anthem,  the pledge, designer of the flag,  .............................................

.. and Yorke mother for giving birth and.. and... and where do you draw the line?????
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 02:48:20 PM »
Attilah just saying her piece..... personally I doh think he should get no Chaconia Gold, but ah must admit, it did bring tears to meh eyes to hear that sweet refrain resonating thru the stadium when the Warriors played. Oh an me eh even studying if trini to de bone dis or if portrait of trinidad dat, i wasn't in germany to wine to dem other fellahs songs, all i know is de feeling i get when i hear trinis singing de man song......ah hope(until something better comes along)to hear dat chant for years and years to come anytime de Warriors playing.....
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 03:25:19 PM »
STOP!!! the ridiculous questions!! STOP!!!

what next?  how come the roti man eh get a million? how come the employees at Crown Point Plaza eh get ah million how come the fans at SWN eh get ah million?  how come the supporters at the SWO eh get a million for all the suggestions and all the scouting and all the  brainstorming for improving the team?

Look at all those diehards who paid hard earned wages to go support the team at Gold Cup, in England, and in Germany? How come them eh get ah million?

I mean come on; let's not get carried away with the ridiculous and sublime.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:31:52 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
How come I eh get a million???
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 03:26:47 PM »
Everybody looking for a million...well throw me in too nah.

I used to run down to internet cafe all kinda 4 am in Winter and listen to commentary and type for man who eh have radio access on homeview.

Shit give me a million too... ;D

I go take it, even in Guyanese currency.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>