March 29, 2024, 02:45:52 AM

Author Topic: Soca Warrior Carlos Edwards  (Read 1432 times)

Offline fire

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Warrior Carlos Edwards
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:24:33 AM »
Soca Warrior Carlos Edwards
SEAN DOUGLAS Tuesday, July 4 2006
Trinidad Newsday

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,40141.html

Pride of Patna

Patna Village in Diego Martin is bursting with pride at the fantastic performance of its own born and bred Soca Warrior, Carlos Edwards, in the World Cup against Sweden, England and Paraguay.

Carlos’ grandmother, Edna Griffith, sat in the gallery of her Patna house nestled among breadfruit and mango trees where Carlos had grown up, expressing quiet pride.

“I feel very proud of him. He’s a very nice boy and very respectable. I wish all the best for Carlos. I pray for him.”

Neighbour Jerome Dass saw Carlos as a good role model. Carlos’ warning to young people to stay away from drugs when Diego Martin honoured him and fellow Warriors on June 27 impressed Dass.

“What amazed me most was what he said to the youths. ‘Come off the marijuana and stay away from the guns’.”

Neighbour and distant-relative Vaughn Romaine, said Carlos has impressed local youths like his own son: “He’s seeing Carlos got successful. Carlos uplifted them. Carlos will make a big change around here.”

Carlos sister, Kamaria Lessie, praised her uncle Robert Peterkin for bringing out Carlos’ potential. She said when she saw Carlos on television at the World Cup: “My heart fell onto my toe. I was happy.” She was pleased with the Warriors. “I have a good feeling that in 2010 he might be team captain.”

Sister Akila Edwards said Carlos’ anti-crime warning would be heeded because many youngsters look up to Carlos as a big brother. “I’m looking forward to being in South Africa in 2010 and I’m confident we will be there.” Chjioke Edwards bore a close resemblance to his big brother Carlos who he felt good about. “I tell myself the next four years, I’m going to be there too.”

He recalled another brother Clifton Edwards once playing for Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive School in an Intercol match against Carlos who was with St Anthony’s. “Three goals scored in the game - Clifton scored one and Carlos scored two, ha ha.”

Chijioke’s favourite moment watching Carlos was when he took a long-shot at the goal against Sweden. “He makes me feel to play football now.”

All the youths in the neighbourhood now have more inspiration to play football.

He thought Carlos would inspire people to stay out of mischief.

“I wish him all the best and to have another World Cup, maybe two, and if I’m lucky enough maybe I could play alongside him.”

Robert Peterkin, Carlos’ maternal uncle said he had coached Carlos from age six or seven years old, when he played for Patna United, and when he went on to captain St Anthony’s College in 1998 to win Intercol.

Peterkin coached the brothers Carlos, Clifton and Chijioke, taking them around to play different games. “Carlos told me he wanted to be a professional footballer at around age 11 years. So I told him if you want to be a professional footballer, don’t smoke, don’t drink and have respect for people.”

He recalled guiding Carlos playing football at Diego Martin Junior Secondary for whom he had scored 40-plus goals in a tournament.

“He got a scholarship to go to St Anthony’s College and then he went to Defence Force who won the professional league. Then he went to Wrexham in Wales and then to Luton Town. He’s now done it all by playing in the World Cup.” Peterkin said Carlos had done his family and his country proud.

Noting that the Patna Village Recreation Ground was to be renamed in honour of Carlos Edwards, he pleaded to the authorities to upgrade the field. The turf had bald patches and the spectators stands needed repairs.

Peterkin still coaches local children. In his day he played midfield for many teams like ACM Motown and Diego Martin, and thinks Carlos may have emulated him.

“I was a very fast player just like him. I told him don’t smoke or drink if you want to make it. Everybody thought I would have made it but I did not, but he did what I said and he made it, and that’s what I’m proud for.”

He recalled that Carlos failed his common entrance but persevered. “Clive Pantin got him in junior sec and he went from strength to strength. He just didn’t ‘stay’ because he failed.”

So what is it about Carlos that has made him successful? “His mind. Carlos is a strong-minded person. What he goes after to try to achieve, nothing would keep him back. He got damaged three times in England but he came back.”

And Carlos’ physical form? Peterkin quipped: “Maybe the little Grenadian breed we have in us. It’s a mixture. The type of food we grow up on too - plenty breadfruit and yam - good food for sports.”

Carlos father, Carlton Edwards, admitting to having been worried that as a youngster Carlos was playing too much football at the expense of his schoolwork. “He was always adamant in whatever he set out to do and football was his thing.” Carlton said that from a tender age people were saying Carlos had great ability. “I wasn’t an active one into it because I’m into church work.

His uncle and teachers played a more active role. Anywhere I went I’d hear, ‘you have a good son in the making.’”

It seemed that others saw Carlos’ potential even before his father.

As Carlton used to play football in minor leagues, people thought it was strange that he wouldn’t go to games to support his son. “I told them look I have shifted my actions and feelings and I don’t have the time.

“But even though I had never attended his games, when I saw the Sweden match I just smiled and said, ‘well, that’s part of me, how I used to play.’ When I looked at the games and saw his performance, I gave him full marks.”

Carlton praised Peterkin and Carlos’ other uncles.

“I never thought of him reaching to those heights, even though people had always told me that he had great qualities. I knew he was good, skillful.”

Carlton was touched when he saw Carlos receive the Chaconia Gold medal.

“Wow, you were here and all of a sudden you are in the spotlight. I was speechless. I wish him all the best in the future, and that he would recognise good things. Character is the key.”

Carlos mother Elizabeth Edwards recalled Carlos playing well as a youngster but never dreamt he’d go as far as he has reached.

She recalled watching him in the World Cup. “He put all out to play because I’d asked him to score a goal for me.”

“When they qualified for Germany I said, ‘right, my boy reached where he is going.’ He made us proud and independent.” She said that today when people call to congratulate her on Carlos she feels very proud.

Things had been tough growing up but Carlos had made it, she said as she recalled his old school coach, Mr Grovenor, helping with uniform and schooling.

“Carlos came from a poor family, poor but still not poor. Despite the background that we came from, we tried our best to show that we are still somebody.”

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warrior Carlos Edwards
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »
Nice article. If it was not 4 sport Carlos and Dwight would have fallen through the cracks like so many of our youths who failed that dreadful Common Entrance. 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:44:58 PM »
This type of motivation goes a long way,
looking for the next set of Diego Players coming through on the Carlos Inspiration

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 03:51:42 PM »
wonderful read.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>