April 28, 2024, 04:06:24 PM

Author Topic: They may never....  (Read 8624 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
They may never....
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »
Them Yankees will never "get" football....and it's ok....but this was a funny article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060705
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:39:25 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: They may never....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »
His ignorance is funny if nothing else.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
True dat...he nicely inject a lil humor into he level of cluelessness
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:38 PM »
Doh worry about whether they "get" it or not.
It come like soca. They doh get it, so what, i like it and I will watch it and would you please sit down and shut up.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »
True dat...he nicely inject a lil humor into he level of cluelessness

Cluelessness is not even the word
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:03:16 PM »
There was an article about America's "heroic" performance against Italy. It claimed that likes of Trinidad and Tobago would be more appreciated because there is more romance to the story of some crap like that. Articles like this one justify the absurdities the American football journalists and bloggers had to write to defend their sport. The talk about 'soccer' growing in America was brought into perspective when I watching Sports Centre a few months ago and heard that the attendance at a lacrose match over 14000(that is similar to MLS attendances).

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:14:28 PM »
they say in 2010 the uis will be over 40 % mexican.  notice no mexicans on sports center - they only talking to part of the population.  galavision, univision and telemundo and telefutura are all us based channels where even the weathermen wouln't write weird crap like this.   but it was funny though, and he didn't try to dis the sport until the last paragraph.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 08:21:11 PM »
I guess the guy enjoy watching sorry arse teams in baseball, basketball, football(true name handball), ended their in last place every year without any recourse. i.e. move to a lower league. All US sports  promote losing is OK. Only the coach get the boot. Also the idiot World Cup involve 192 countries not 12 states with two teams each. Let me stop venting.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 08:23:22 PM »
leh we look at the upside
is a start
at least the man watch bits and pieces and say he like the Word Cup even if it is for the wrong reasons

if he could influence 2 or 3 others it might snoball

is just wishfull thinking...............I know

Més que un club.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 08:25:16 PM »
the bottom line is that americans have no respect for de game of football.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »

the bottom line is generalization is not wise. many americans love, understand and follow football religiously. most do not...so what? the sport has a small loyal following....since when is it a mandate that football has to be the most popular sport in every country. dissing americans because football is not their favorite sport is illogical and smells of herd mentality. concern yourself with the level of education that the true fans in the US have and what they have to say. everyone else ain't no different from Brazilians, Argentines or Trinis that don't love football..they just doh matter in any football debate

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »

the bottom line is generalization is not wise. many americans love, understand and follow football religiously. most do not...so what? the sport has a small loyal following....since when is it a mandate that football has to be the most popular sport in every country. dissing americans because football is not their favorite sport is illogical and smells of herd mentality. concern yourself with the level of education that the true fans in the US have and what they have to say. everyone else ain't no different from Brazilians, Argentines or Trinis that don't love football..they just doh matter in any football debate
i have spoken to alot of americans,whether it at work,train,street or casual talk,none of them could have answered simple questions.maybe where you hail from bredda,but where i am,they couldn't give ah damn.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 09:04:37 PM »
bill simmons writes mainly for amusement -- i read his articles a lot and he's just playing the fool half the time. basically he writes for the audience and feigns ignorance to appeal to the football (soccer) ignoramuses that is the US reading audience. I wouldn't take him too seriously

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 09:06:25 PM »
bill simmons writes mainly for amusement -- i read his articles a lot and he's just playing the fool half the time. basically he writes for the audience and feigns ignorance to appeal to the football (soccer) ignoramuses that is the US reading audience. I wouldn't take him too seriously

That's the take I got from reading it. He's not that clueless. Look whose picture he picked to represent diving. He knows what's up.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
Anyone who is familiar with Bill Simmons would not use him as an "American" benchmark..especially in a "soccer" capacity...his writing is primarily for comic relief...take it for what it is and just laugh.

And dey still cuttin' our ass going and coming.......what does that say ?

But seriously....You're right "soccer" still only has a cult following here......but it's catching on. I was surprised amount of fellas I know who have no clue about the game were actually watching all the games on the weekend...and trying to get live feeds to watch games during the week etc....it catching on man. The mere fact that someone like Bill Simmons would have a World Cup column is testament that the sport is becoming more mainstream here in the States.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 09:10:54 PM »

true.....we shouldnt fight them down because they dont like it..but should w eallow dem to disrespect and belittle it because they dont fancy it. it seems if it isnt important to the usa..it shouldnt be important to any one else and they...try to make it seem less....than it is.  in the same breath though they obviously ignorant they try and fight down the sport. how childish is that.  fire for them as a commentator said ..u guys play soccer the rest of the world will play football.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »
it have a "behind god back" here in the us? i would love to know ah place here in de usa where at least NOBODY eh know nothing bout football.....anyway here in de midwest, kids-and dey parents-soccer-ah mean football-crazy, just now the word soccermom go be included in the dictionary.....football will never replace baseball, basketball, and de other football in the us, and yuh know what, nothin wrong wid dat as far as i'm concerned.......
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 09:15:14 PM »
The truth is that football will catch on in the US. The "soccer" generation is now growing up - a partner of mine tell me he and his friends grow up playing baseball-- now all he nephew and niece and them growing up playing "soccer". The truth is that America is secretly embarassed they arent in love with football -- they wish they could have such passion and national pride in a sport that the whole world cares about -- educated people in the US watching the world cup and trying to learn the game so they wouldnt look stupid-- man who never watch football before streaming games on they PC in work and thing to watch.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »

That's the take I got from reading it. He's not that clueless. Look whose picture he picked to represent diving. He knows what's up.
not being clueless and being knowlageble is 2 different ball games. i know enough about ice hockey not to sound dotish..but am i knowledgable..nopes....and even though he knows "stuff" he jus uses that be scarstic and poke fun. steups americans to ego and ethnocentric
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:39:05 PM by Organic »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 09:27:22 PM »
I just waiting for de time when I pass by all de parks dey have around by me and instead of men throwing a frisbee or tossing an american football (not that anything wrong with that) they kicking small goal instead.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »
Overheard conversation on June 8th:

"Hey man are u following the world cup this year?" 

"Where is it this year? Nah not really."

"How come?"

"I dunno, ya know....are there any U.S. clubs in it this year?"  ??? ??? ???

Just give up.  I will say though, doh hate on their sports - you don't have to go there to prove your point....most people like myself who have spent a lot of time here will tell you that their "football" is extremely entertaining.  BASEBALL is a mess and boring as hell, but they could say that about cricket and they would have a point if you looked at it objectively.

Let's agree they will never "get" the beautful game, and I wish everyone would stop trying to make them.  It's ok....we have 4 billion others to watch.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:20:57 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 05:55:55 AM »
But the real question here is, does the world cup need america or america needs the world cup,I'll say this,since I've been watching the world cup over the years,they've been very vocal in dissing the beautiful game and it has continued to grow by leaps and bounds and still remains the number one sport worldwide with or without there participation.

The core of the problem with america is if they not winning,it ain't good,so something must be terribly wrong,Lets be serious here the most powerful country in the world eluded by the world cup.while it may not be getting much play throughout the high profile media,it's at the back of there minds,so meanwhile let's poke fun at the game.

The Saga continues until next time in near future,but Hopefully I'll be here waiting..............       

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
USA is the only country that play among themselves and call it a WOrld Series- Amazing.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 06:38:37 AM »
Arrite Arrite.....Why we doh hush and stop fighting down people ? All the worship we claim to worship football in Trinidad we only just grace the world stage for the first time......

A stupid comical sports article and the common he say she say is not a sign of disrespect to the game. The unprofessional attitude that we've had to the sport for our entire existence is disrespectful to the game....

You want to talk about disrespect to the World's greatest game, take a look in the mirror and see the abundance of wasted talent that has emerged from our own soil, the unprofessional attitude, the  ignorance of what it takes to make it on the World Stage, and the disgraceful performances that we have tolerated and put up with for God knows how long, the idiot coaches that we have allowed to guide our team at the highest level, and the still glaring lack of infrastructure that we have in Trinidad with respect to the World's greatest game......

We say that the U.S. will never get "soccer"....we as far I'm concerned we eh get it yet either because they cuttin' our ass going and coming, and they have proven to have more of a clue of what it takes to compete at the highest level............

And doh get tie up with our "fans" either....outside of this board (and even inside of it to some extent)...plenty Trinis doh have a clue.

We could stay here and fight down people..... all we doing is just foolin' ourselves with ole talk.......

Thanks for article Ato, it was funny.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 06:42:19 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 06:52:53 AM »
And doh get tie up with our "fans" either....outside of this board (and even inside of it to some extent)...plenty Trinis doh have a clue.

Well said..

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 06:53:41 AM »
Change in foreign policy  :D

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 07:06:24 AM »
that shit was funny. i like:

4. There's something fascinating about the underlying baggage in every game. My buddy Kurt e-mailed me last week, "If you're a Nazi war criminal who escaped the Allied forces after WWII, who do you root for tomorrow: Germany, who propelled you to the top of their system, or Argentina, who took you in and helped hide your crimes against humanity?"

5. The postgame ritual of players exchanging sweaty jerseys cracks me up. Imagine if some Czech guy, drenched from running around in 95-degree heat for an hour and a half, handed you his shirt. Ah, gee, thanks … Can't wait to put this in my duffel … No, really, this is great.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 08:01:16 AM »
Arrite Arrite.....Why we doh hush and stop fighting down people ? All the worship we claim to worship football in Trinidad we only just grace the world stage for the first time......

A stupid comical sports article and the common he say she say is not a sign of disrespect to the game. The unprofessional attitude that we've had to the sport for our entire existence is disrespectful to the game....

You want to talk about disrespect to the World's greatest game, take a look in the mirror and see the abundance of wasted talent that has emerged from our own soil, the unprofessional attitude, the  ignorance of what it takes to make it on the World Stage, and the disgraceful performances that we have tolerated and put up with for God knows how long, the idiot coaches that we have allowed to guide our team at the highest level, and the still glaring lack of infrastructure that we have in Trinidad with respect to the World's greatest game......

We say that the U.S. will never get "soccer"....we as far I'm concerned we eh get it yet either because they cuttin' our ass going and coming, and they have proven to have more of a clue of what it takes to compete at the highest level............

We could stay here and fight down people..... all we doing is just foolin' ourselves with ole talk.......

Thanks for article Ato, it was funny.

Well said kicker...but nobody want to hear that because ignorance and broad stupid generalizations about the US is the hobby of choice on this board.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 08:04:29 AM »
That article was boss.
The Sports Guy is always real kicks.
Not only was it funny, but a lot of his comments were true or at least had some element of truth to them.
The man made it clear why it isn't as highly regarded in the US
"That's why pro soccer will never catch on here: Nobody wants to watch a bunch of second-rate guys playing a sport that isn't that interesting in the first place. Fundamentally, it can't work. "

With the exception of "a sport that isn't that interesting in the first place," he has a point.
And at least the man understands the life and death consequences of the wold cup
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 08:13:44 AM by Marcos »
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2006, 08:12:03 AM »
USA is the only country that play among themselves and call it a WOrld Series- Amazing.

Yeah..hahaha i always used to find that arrogant until I learned of the true origins of the title at school. Actually...those competitions were sponsored by a now defunct newspaper called 'The World'. Hence the name. It was just a clever pun that lent a little grandiosity to the proceedings. Nothing to do with arrogance. There is a baseball world championship and the winner of that is considered the real world champ, by most Americans too. They consider the olympic basketball champ as world champions...that is why they send their 'dream team'. They take it very seriously. Some American fans don't know that though and can be very arrogant and insular about their sports...so you're right on some level...but not entirely. The USA is made up of diverse individuals like every where else in the world..some cool...some not so cool. Many ahte football...many love football. Let's stop fighting down an entire nation...not all Americans are arrogant egotistical football hating insular bastards. Not even close

1]; } ?>