April 27, 2024, 02:10:39 PM

Author Topic: Yorke, Shaka heads list of pros for Miami, Guatemala outings.  (Read 13976 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke, Shaka heads list of pros for Miami, Guatemala outings.
Issued By: Shaun Fuentes.

Trinidad and Tobago coach Bertille St Clair has finalized an 20-man squad for next week’s training camp in Miami ahead of the March 26 2006 World Cup qualifying encounter against Guatemala at the Mateo Flores Stadium.
St Clair, just back from England where he met with some of the T&T pros, will have the services of 13 overseas-based professionals for the period and should have striker Scott Sealy in the team for the match against the Guatemalans. Sealy will not be available for the Miami camp as he leaves on the weekend to join Kansas City Wizards for a camp in Costa Rica.
Among the players in the team include Portsmouth goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, Crewe Alexandra goalie Clayton Ince, Glasgow Rangers defender Marvin Andrews, Dundee’s Brent Sancho, Wrexham duo Carlos Edwards and Hector Sam, Coventry City striker Stern John, Stoke City utility player Kenwyne Jones, Real Salt Lake defender Marlon Rojas and Birmingham City’s Dwight Yorke.
Also making a return to the side is Japanese-based midfielder Silvio Spann and Gillingham defender Ian Cox. The rest of the team includes W Connection defender Atiba Charles, just back from a trial with Oldham Athletic, CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh duo Kerry Baptiste and Angus Eve, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Defence Force’s Anton Pierre and defender Nigel Henry.
Meantime, T&T is expected to play a training match against a team to be named shortly in Miami as the previously arranged encounter against Honduras for March 22 has been cancelled as both teams are in the same group for the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup. The match date had been originally carded before the recent Gold Cup draw.
St Clair, who will have sessions at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 4pm on Thursday and Friday prior to the team’s departure on Sunday, was optimistic going into the Guatemala clash.
“I think the squad of players we have put together is a well rounded one and we expect that the guys will really rise to the call in what is our first away game of the round, “ St Clair told TTFF Media. “We will be gathering in Miami before the match and this is an important phase because as you know, the majority of our players are from outside and this gives us a chance to get together before the match itself and I expect that the period before the game will be well spent getting ready for the big one.”
Injury concerns to Ince (broken finger) and Glen (ankle) have surfaced over the past couple weeks but both men should be ready in time for the match.
“Fitness is a key component in any team and we will monitor the players very closely but we expect that they will be ready in time. Aside from that, the rest of the team is in good shape and we are remaining positive about our chances in Guatemala,” added St Clair.
His opposite number, Ramon Maradiaga, also called a squad of 21 for the match and conducted a training session on Thursday at the FIFA Goal Project facility, Guatemala City. Los Angeles Galaxy’s Carlos Ruiz and Guillermo Ramirez will spearhead their attack.
Maradiaga said he expects crowd support to work in his team’s favour.
"We need to win the game, its important to us get the three points at home, beat Trinidad and get prepared for the hard game on March 30 against the US team,” Maradiaga said on Wednesday.
"We hope to be supported by our fans on Mateo Flores stadium and be able to give them a great soccer show. "I don’t know if I or someone else will be at Miami to watch Trinidad but we surely want to see what they have to offer."

Trinidad & Tobago Team:

Goalkeepers:
Shaka Hislop (Portsmouth), Clayton Ince (Crewe Alexandra).

Defenders:
Marvin Andrews (Rangers), David Atiba Charles (W Connection), Anton Pierre (Defence Force), Brent Sancho (Dundee), Ian Cox (Gillingham), Marlon Rojas (Real Salt Lake), Nigel Henry (Charleston Battery).

Midfielders:
Silvio Spann (Yokohama FC), Kerry Baptiste (San Juan Jabloteh), Angus Eve (San Juan Jabloteh), Leslie Fitzpatrick (Alanta Silverbacks), Kenwyne Jones (Stoke City), Carlos Edwards (Wrexham).

Forwards:
Stern John (Coventry City), Dwight Yorke (Birmingham City), Cornell Glen (FC Dallas), Scott Sealy (Kansas City Wizards), Hector Sam (Wrexham).

Guatemala Team:

Goalkeepers:
Miguel Klee (Coban), Paulo Motta (Municipal), Ricardo Trigueño, Suchitepequez).

Defenders:
Angel Sanabria (Coban), Nelson Morales (Coban), Denis Chen (Coban), Gustavo Cabrera (Comunicaciones), Nestor Martinez (Comunicaciones), Carlos Quiñonez (Comunicaciones), Pablo Melgar (Municipal).

Midfielders:
Mynor Davila (Aurora), Fredy Thompson (Comunicaciones), Gonzalo Romero (Municipal), Carlos Figueroa (Municipal), Carlos Castillo (Xelaju), Guillermo Ramirez, LA Galaxy).

Forwards:
Dwight Pezzarossi (Comunicaciones), Hernan Sandoval (Comunicaciones) Juan Carlos Plata (Municipal), Carlos Ruiz (LA Galaxy).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:57:33 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke, Shaka heads list of pros for Miami, Guatemala outings.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:32:49 PM »
I like the look of this team. Oh gosh this team looks solid on paper.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:34:12 PM »
Why not play soem warm ups aganist Cuba and Jamacia?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 12:35:04 PM »
I would have like to see Dwarika, Rougier, Seaton and Smith training also...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:37:17 PM »
yeah why these players not on the squad?

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 12:56:09 PM »
how Nigel Henry make this WC squad before Avery John I will never know.  Glad that Cox is back and that horn-child Derek King not there though.  Wonder if Nakhid will be joining the team in Miami?  A shame that Theobald still injured.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:32:32 PM »
Maradiaga said he expects crowd support to work in his team’s favour.
"We need to win the game, its important to us get the three points at home, beat Trinidad and get prepared for the hard game on March 30 against the US team,” Maradiaga said on Wednesday.

Guess we still de horner chirren in concacaf eh! Maradiaga say dey need 3 points and den get ready for the hard game.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 02:21:01 PM »
I notice the same quote Tongue.  Let them talk man... let them talk.  We winning 2 - 0

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »
Didn't they beat us 4-0 last year? That's probably why he's confident

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 02:31:37 PM »
I like the line up as well but, that has never won us any games. It comes down to goals only, not what's on paper.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 02:46:32 PM »

Dey beat us 4-1 last year but we have and edge on dem in WCQ. We have played dem 7 times in WCQ, winning 3 times, losing twice and drawing twice.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 02:50:27 PM »
Fellas,
 Ah hope this is not "Goat Mouth" but...Ah like the team.
 The only problem I see is "who the coach decide to play"

GOOD LUCK Fellas

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Full Force ON the "wetbacks"
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
You know it is about time our team STOP  MYSTFYING and propelling the Mexicans to such a high degree. LET'S come at them with FULL FORCE.

Pound for pound we should be just as tough. Player for player we should match their skill level. We ought to match them in toughness. I mean these Mexicans are not big in stature nor as durable in nature.

Where are we giving way to them? ummm.. HEART NATIONAL PRIDE  FITNESS? Could they run and keep on running  for longer periods of time compared to us?

Let's slow down their game, bottle up their attach and pressure the ball  so that they hurry their passes.

It's about time we  use that quotation from thier coach and  go after them. I say this to my teams: FEAR NO ONE but RESPECT ALL.
Let's break down this team player by player and tehn look at tendencies. If you want a predictor of success we have to look at  PAST performances. The Mexicans have had successful past performances; they have cultivated atradition of success and  performining on the world stage. We have to debunk this belief and raise the level of our game. Unfortunately our measurement in our past performances  does not bode well for us. We need to alter that and begin to establish a legacy for the players of today and the youths of tomorrow.

I would like to offer my  skills as a team motivator/  sports psychologist free of charge to TNT team.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 03:25:26 PM »
And yuh know what funny, de last time we played Guatemala Conrad Smith was de only player to score for T&T after coming on as a sub.

I guess if MetroStars sign him he might get the notch.... then the TTFF will respect him...

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 03:27:22 PM »
I would like to offer my  skills as a team motivator/  sports psychologist free of charge to TNT team.

-- Alberta Trini

Alberta, you might want to sharpen up your reading comprehension skills first.  Those comments were made by the Coach of Guatemala, not Mexico.  Guatemala is the team that fellas are talking about here.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
oops
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 03:30:54 PM »
nuff respect; ah oversigth on my part ; ah have it out fuh dem mexicans.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 03:31:17 PM »

Dey beat us 4-1 last year but we have and edge on dem in WCQ. We have played dem 7 times in WCQ, winning 3 times, losing twice and drawing twice.

we haven't played them in a Competitive match in 4 years, and you;'re still counting matches that the Strike Squad played (16 years ago!).  Alot of things changed, based on the most recent result, and our form of late, Maradiaga's comment is not out of place.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 03:34:58 PM »
But Rocwelll, the stats are the stats.  How you could fault Tallest for merely stating what the history books show?  Truth be told, we have experienced more success in World Cup Qualification than Guatemala has.  We are veterans in this final stage, and now have to take that next step.

Tallest, is Guatemala a regular in the final round of CONCACAF qualifiers?

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 03:41:52 PM »
Yorke, Shaka heads list of pros for Miami, Guatemala outings.
Issued By: Shaun Fuentes.

Meantime, T&T is expected to play a training match against a team to be named shortly in Miami as the previously arranged encounter against Honduras for March 22 has been cancelled as both teams are in the same group for the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup. The match date had been originally carded before the recent Gold Cup draw.

since when does that mean we cant play them??they were a perfect warmup. wheres the 2nd friendly ttff!!!!!!!!!!
Hart for president

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
, Guatemala FULL FORCE in yor arse
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 03:44:06 PM »
I beg to differ with the fact that the coach's prediction is out of place. If we  go by the fact that PAST performance is an indicator of  aptitute or apredictor for present performance, then we should have awell contested match aganist Guatemala.

Now Mexico will be another story.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 03:45:32 PM »
But Rocwelll, the stats are the stats. How you could fault Tallest for merely stating what the history books show? Truth be told, we have experienced more success in World Cup Qualification than Guatemala has. We are veterans in this final stage, and now have to take that next step.

Tallest, is Guatemala a regular in the final round of CONCACAF qualifiers?

The stats are irrelevant as they go all the way back to 1968.  I we played them in the last couple of years I could understand.  The most recent WCQ against them was in 1996 (and we lost).

Veterans?  I'm sorry but we not veterans at anything.  Have we made it to a World Cup yet?    Which other national team fears us?  Trinis must get rid of these delusions of grandeur.  Everyone in this region sees us as a team that is only this far beacause of a lucky draw (lucky being a word they wouldn't use).  We haven't even won our games convincingly.  We must earn our respect, and we haven't done anything.  Veterans learn from the mistakes of the past and we still fail miserably every time we get to the final 6.

Let's hope we prove the Guatemalan head coach wrong.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »
I beg to differ with the fact that the coach's prediction is out of place. If we go by the fact that PAST performance is an indicator of aptitute or apredictor for present performance, then we should have awell contested match aganist Guatemala.

Now Mexico will be another story.

Look, statistics never tell the whole story.  Past performance is ony significance for the recent past.  before last year, we last played them in 2001.  You gentlemen want to count match that were played decades ago as a predictor for the future?  At this point most of those matches are just pleasant memories, like when Kerry Jamerson scored the two winners in '89

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guatemala outings.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2005, 04:01:57 PM »
true dat; Past performances must be relevent and consistent not miles apart or decades ago. I hear yuh .Nuff respect.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »
I believe we beat them 3-1 in the gold cup in 98 under Bertille. That was de last competitive game. Goals from Nixon 1 and Stern John 2. Nixon had them busy with pace ah remember.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Days of yore; bring dem back.Least we forget
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2005, 04:43:43 PM »
The high-water mark of Trinidad and Tobago football came on July 23, 2000, in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, when an 86th minute goal by Russell Latapy gave the home team a famous and well-deserved victory over Mexico in the semifinal round of the 2002 WC qualifiers. The game was the second in an incredible run of four, in which the Soca Warriors also blitzed Canada home and away, and crushed Panama at home. The goal tally in the streak: Trinidad & Tobago 13, Opponents 0. T&T was catapulted into the Hexagonal, and even a meaningless 0:7 loss to a revenge-minded Mexico couldn't dampen their enthusiasm.

But it fell apart almost immediately. They opened with a disappointing 0:1 loss on the road to Jamaica, then an 0:3 loss at Costa Rica. A home draw with Mexico kept them in the fray for the moment, but an amazing 5 straight losses buried them in last place. Toward the end of the schedule they got a tiny piece of revenge, crippling Honduras' chances with a win in San Pedro Sula, but it was small consolation.

T&T haven't been the same since. In 2003, for the first time in 10 years, they failed to qualify for the Gold Cup, losing out first to Cuba, then to Honduras and Martinique in the repechage. Later that summer, they lost both to Haiti and the hosts in the St. Kitts & Nevis football festival. The longtime Caribbean kings seem lost, without direction or coherence.

But they are indeed the kings--make sure you remember that. The emergence of Jamaica, and the spotlight on the 1998 Reggae Boyz, have obscured one of the most dominant regional records on the books. Of the 11 Caribbean Cups from 1989 to 2001, T&T won 8. They finished second twice, and third once. Their record in those years: 40 wins, 3 draws, 9 losses.

Can the Soca Warriors recover their former glories? They took a big step in January by re-appointing Bertille St. Clair as head coach. St. Clair led the team from 1997-2000, taking them to the 2000 Gold Cup semifinal; he's also coached the U-23s. He's a no-nonsense sort who has the respect of his players, and knows how to plan for the long term.

There's plenty of talent there, too. Stern John (Birmingham City) is a reliable striker, and emerging star Cornell Glen (Metrostars in MLS) might be a perfect partner. There's quality in midfield with Carlos Edwards (Wrexham) and Arnold Dwarika (Beijing Guoan). The defense might be less sure, but in goal is Shaka Hislop (Portsmouth), at 35 still capable of the spectacular save. T&T's most famous son, Dwight Yorke (Blackburn), may or may not play, but even without him St. Clair has the nucleus of a solid squad. And don't forget that Trinidad has one of the stronger professional leagues in the region, with a number of local players ready to play key roles on the side.

But however good or bad T&T is, they're going to make the Hexagonal.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2005, 05:17:21 PM »
Yeah, but is the performance on the field that matters. I hope de boys come through good this time.
well yes

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2005, 05:23:07 PM »
I believe we beat them 3-1 in the gold cup in 98 under Bertille. That was de last competitive game. Goals from Nixon 1 and Stern John 2. Nixon had them busy with pace ah remember.

You are mistaken, the match you refer to was a game against Honduras (Gold Cup '98).  The last competitive match took place in the 2000 Gold Cup, which we won 4-2

Offline hooligan

• New Warrior
  • Doh push yuh foot...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2005, 06:39:32 PM »
Any one of allyuh really think dis side could compete with the blossoming powerhouse concacaf teams it have out there. Jamaice blessing us with licks rather consistently when it matters and we have not registered a good result from our top squad for years against legitimate compettion.. so why fool ouselves into thinking that a victory is de benchmark of our football abilities... we should be happy with a draw and some good work out of the midfield... gawd boy, ever since latas overs de sweat we sufferin'... talk yuh talk

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2005, 04:15:05 AM »
Allyuh eh notice that this is de first time since St Clair took over as T&T coach Derek King was not called.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D........................... YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rojas injured, Nigel Henry is no left footer, Seabra cant play for T&T, Cox is no left footer,,,,, but still no Avery John... ???

Richard or Rick, how good is Henry really, now dont hold back eh,,,, be straight...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 04:20:12 AM by Sam »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2005, 10:21:05 AM »
Sam you wicked eh!

But its true its the first time the man ent get call in a while.

The squad picking itself, anton pierre go be the left foot man in the back, with cox, dog and sancho as the others.

The middle go be jones, edwards, tiger and eve

with yorke and Stern upfront.

Tell me I lie there, Flip that formation anyhow you want but them is bertie boys.

I hope we get a friendly game......they have plenty team in Miami that could give them a competitive sweat. They could go in any park too, the fields up there perfect.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>