March 28, 2024, 05:09:15 AM

Author Topic: What do we want in a coach? : Seriously ; let's be logical here...  (Read 30647 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
All this talk about Beenie and what Jamaica proposing for Sven, I mean has someone really sat down and mapped out what we want in a coach? Have we considered  creating a profile of what our coach ought to  bring to the table?  Have we done a Needs Assessment to identify what are our specific goals and challenges we have for this coach? Which person best fits our context? who will be the selection committee and who will decided the agenda for this coach? How well could this coach work with our PFL?

Do we want a man to come in the last minute and take seasoned professionals and 'fine tune' what another coach was working on?

Do we want a coach who could train and develop  potential talent?

Do we want a master tactician?

Do we want ah man who could build a solid cohesive system and have an organized team with a balance of scoring and defending?

Do we need a coach who could blend foreign talent with local?

Do we want a coach to just  get us through to the WC?

I think those who are given that responsibility ought to make make public the criteria they are looking for  in a person to coach our national team.

At this time, there appears to be a clamoring for a  man with a reputation as oppose to examining the contextual needs of our situation. I mean if Sven had all the top EPL players at his disposal and could not achieve the level of success as expected , what predictable success would he get out of coaching Jamaica? Is qualifying for the WC we (TNT and Jamaica) are best hoping for?

On the other hand, is Mr.Beenhakker the complete package to meet the alleged ( not sure what these are)needs for our program?

Public debate and  a public disclosure should focus on this if it's public taxpayers funds which would be used to subsidized the cost of  coaches salaries.

Possible Porcesss
P.S. we starting with a blank slate: we will solicit responses from focus groups: THE PLF executive, the public, the player s local and foreign, the TTFF, ummm.. special advisor JW, umm.. former  coaches, local coaches..... mouth men like A.Corneal....

Now we take all that information and we begin the process of finding common trends, common needs and gathering data on needs and  the best fit.

We bring the group back together again to start looking at  submitting names of possible candidates and examining which of these candidates best fits our profile.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:22:42 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What do we want in a coach?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »
Very Well Said...... ;D Leh me answer yuh questions in what I want in a coach.

Do we want a man to come in the last minute and take seasoned professionals and 'fine tune' what another coach was working on?
Nah me eh want that....it go come like somebody else mix de batter fuh de cake and he come shameless shameless and take it out de oven and sharing it out lovingly....dat eh make sense.

Ent dah wha dey for?? Of Course!! By doing this we have a consistent supply of quality.....and thus not making good performances a flash in the pan.

Of course!! All dat is wha does make a team the best. Skill and tactics.....necessary ingredients in sucess.

Do we want ah man who could build a solid cohesive system and have an organized team with a balance of scoring and defending?
The balanced game is often the best game.....so  yeh i would like that too. Unbeatable on all fronts.

Yes....because the only way the local talent can become foreign talent.....is by getting a chance. The experience necessary. Also....by realising that the hungry local talent can step up and challenge their place...the foreign talent go hadda realise dat dem cyar lapse....thus bringin out better performances overall. Complacency is a performance inhibitor. Let dem know dat we serious.

Necessary attributes would also be a sense of seriousness and willingness to get the job done. Long term planning and understanding a must.Willingness to pass on knowledge and improve our football allround at all levels a definate asset,as well as a love/appreciation and understanding of the Local Society. Now....the question is.....does such a coach exist and if he does....how much he charging??
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What do we want in a coach? Let's create a coach's profile for TNT
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »
If the SWN want to organize a public panel to look at this profile ah go be interested.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »
Jose (he is de perfect coach)

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:57:37 PM »
benitez

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:24:18 PM »
WHY ARE THSE COACHES GOOD CANDIDATES? HOW DO THEY FIT THE PROFILE?

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »
ALberta TRini - Excellent post- BUT- By the time one goes through that process in T&T , the Gold cup is upon us and most of the best coaches in the World Taken. You have to move immediately.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 01:56:08 PM »
injunchile,
Yuh hit a upon ah good point; yuh see if we continue to do things the way we have alwys done things , we will continue to get waht we have always gotten.

This hurry up last minute thing have to stop; careful planning, organization and structure could go a long ways in producing sutainable systems and programs.

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What do we want in a coach? : TNT we want ah coach!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
I hear Jamaica is trying to get Scolari. 
If TTFF knows what's good for them, they better try to take Scolari... (Beenhakker vibsing like he has no intentions of staying.)  Scolari will get this team to play both defensively and attacking, and the style will blend well with our T&T style.

Outside of that Jose is a good choice.  ;D
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 05:57:37 PM »

Are we just flattering ourselves calling all these big name coaches?

How much is the budget we have for a coaching staff anyway.  Whoever we get I hope he is more co-operative with our TD and doesn't reneg on promises to help with coaching seminars (unless he never made those promises or it wasn't his fault).

I want to see a coach who is going to develop a young team and perhaps help develop/nurture some promising players.
They have to be able to hold their own off the field too and maintain the no nonsense relationship with players, officials and with the fans.  Does not get involved in bacchanal (some big coaches is still fall in that).
Must have good relationship with player's clubs.

I think Wim is the best choice for us for now....but the question is do we re-assign him after two years?  I could see that happening if we bring in Leo but would that work if it's another coach who will have a different philosophy?
Shaka should be ready to work with Brow in 2 years.  Anton remain as assistant coach (unless they can find something for him in Europe to get some more experience).  Is Anton still the youth TD?

Qualifying for 2010 is no sure thing so we should have something tangible to show if we don't make it....are our local staff better off...how many young players we unearthed/developed, did we help our reputation which makes a big difference for getting warm ups and trials.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 06:59:11 PM »
All this talk about Beenie and what Jamaica proposing for Sven, I mean has someone really sat down and mapped out what we want in a coach? Have we considered  creating a profile of what our coach ought to  bring to the table?  Have we done a Needs Assessment to identify what are our specific goals and challenges we have for this coach? Which person best fits our context? who will be the selection committee and who will decided the agenda for this coach? How well could this coach work with our PFL?

Do we want a coach to just  get us through to the WC?

I think those who are given that responsibility ought to make make public the criteria they are looking for  in a person to coach our national team.

At this time, there appears to be a clamouring for a  man with a reputation as oppose to examining the contextual needs of our situation.  I mean if Sven had all the top EPL players at his disposal and could not achieve the level of success as expected , what predictable success would he get out of coaching Jamaica? Is qualifying for the WC we (TNT and Jamaica) are best hoping for?

On the other hand, is Mr.Beenhakker the complete package to meet the alleged ( not sure what these are)needs for our program?

Public debate and  a public disclosure should focus on this if it's public taxpayers funds which would be used to subsidized the cost of  coaches salaries.

Possible Porcesss
P.S. we strating with a blank slate: we will solicit responses from focus groups: THE PLF executive, the public, the player s local and foreign, the TTFF, ummm.. special advisor JW, umm.. former  coaches, local coaches..... mouth men like A.Corneal....

Now we take all that information and we begin the process of finding common thrends, common needs and gathering data on needs and  the best fit.

We bring the group back together again to start lookin at  submitting names of possible candidates and examining which of these candidates best fits our profile.

I thought your processing to be adequate....   I think  one of de focus groups gotta  be de SW.net massive we go have some input for them to...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 12:41:05 PM »
The way  some people are thowing out names is like we already short listed candidates and have some I mind. Classic case of  CART BEFORE THE HORSE!!!!!!!!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
The way  some people are thowing out names is like we already short listed candidates and have some I mind. Classic case of  CART BEFORE THE HORSE!!!!!!!!
leh me trow dis into the mix ...USA apparentlly offered Klinsmann 3 million USD.  Is that the going price for a national coach?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
If leo goes to Poland I hope we have a plan in place.

Question does 3 million guarantee you a place in WC? 

With 3 million u.s.  could we not  have a solid  coaching team , nutritionist, sports psychologist etc? How much yuh think it will cost us to  groom LATAS during the next two years and then bring on  a high powered consultant to work with him for the remaining two?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:06:28 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »
Boy, Klinsman almost make yuh want to contribute to he 3 millioin price tag because "Dat is Coach"  It just must be different styles but Klinsman wokkin sah. Dem boys playing a free cheerful game. Not afraid to make passes or to hold de ball if yuh need to. always trying to break and dont really have to rely too much on "de #10". I think Beenie may be a good coach but his style is unlike dat of Klinsman and I rather Klinsman style. De man does jump higher than any player when de Team score, genuine outward display of joy possible stemming from being younger but heck since when young wasn't good especially when yuh could still bolster de backbone.  Give me something like Klinsman and I'd be happy.  Man Germany is not afraid to shoot de dam ball.  Hey maybe Yorke, Shaka & Latas just may have a chance if we could in addition buy good help.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »
Klinsman did a great job with Germany but comparing him to Beenhakker and TnT is not possible because of the calibre of players on both sides.  Beenhakker developed a strategy based on the players he had, not the players Germany had.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 04:39:12 PM »
The TD was the man who recommended Beenie. He said that he likes the Dutch method of team preparation and based on the # of Dutch coaches at the cup it appears he is right.

Right now our stock high. Teams want to play us. We need to develop a solid local base to represent when the foreign based engaged. We also need to tap into the young players of promise in college in the US.

We need a coach right now who want to develop talent and work with upcoming players. I don't think that is beenie. Beenie to me seem a fine tuner but then again he is credited for developing Zlatan.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 11:12:03 AM »
While there may be merits in appointing Beenie's assistant as the new head coach, I am leery of the process.

If in fact he is appointed, he will bring continuity of  what Beenie was doing. He should be cheaper as he does not have th e same  profile as Beenie.

The debate would be by some  as to what sets him apart from a local assistant?

Again I think we had an opportunity to follow a process for hiring but we again resorted to a haphazard way of doing things.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
While there may be merits in appointing Beenie's assistant as the new head coach, I am leery of the process.

If in fact he is appointed, he will bring continuity of  what Beenie was doing. He should be cheaper as he does not have th e same  profile as Beenie.

The debate would be by some  as to what sets him apart from a local assistant?

Again I think we had an opportunity to follow a process for hiring but we again resorted to a haphazard way of doing things.

what is haphazard about hiring Wim?  He has been the assistant for a while and Anton has also been the assistant so basically there is a continuation of roles for the most part.  Just Wim have a bigger role and they added another Dutch assistant.
My definition of haphazard would be the recycling of a local coach or hiring a foreign coach who would have to start from scratch.
When you say haphazrad..are u trying to same Wim is no big name coach so it is a bad choice?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 11:29:38 AM »
Real madness it is not about Wim; it is about the process. Think back to past experiments prior to Beenie.

I am not disputing the choice of coach, I am hoping that there were some thought given to our needs and whether or nnot this candidate has the  credentials to complete the taask. Read my first post in this thread.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 11:39:10 AM »
i hear what yuh saying and I think wim is de logical choice which we are not known for making in de past.  I would be worried if we hired someone totally new to the scene although Beenie and Wim was new when they first came.  At least we had some success with those guys, so my thing is doh fix what isnot broken.

One may argue that we did not win a game or score a goal but the team had a respectable showing and we should build on that.  The grass is always greener on de the other side so ppl can argue that a coach like pekerman or scolari (if these were actual options) or any other big name coach would be a better choice.  I am sure they consulted the players as well b4 making a decision.

We just to have to sit back and see what happens in the next 12 months.
Makes no sense on questioning the choice of Wim without giving him chance.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 11:52:13 AM »
For many reasons this looks like a logical choice but......we have been down the road with choices which looked logical and reasonable before.

PROCESS PROCESS... WHO MAKING DECISIONS WHO MAKING ALL THE DECISIONS...... PROCESS...NEEDS ASSEMMENTS .The imapct of this hiring will affect many sectors of TNT football why not have more imput? PROCESS????/

qualities in a coach:

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=18857.msg194173#msg194173

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 12:03:50 PM »
For many reasons this looks like a logical choice but......we have been down the road with choices which looked logical and reasonable before.

PROCESS PROCESS... WHO MAKING DECISIONS WHO MAKING ALL THE DECISIONS...... PROCESS...NEEDS ASSEMMENTS .The imapct of this hiring will affect many sectors of TNT football why not have more imput? PROCESS????/

qualities in a coach:

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=18857.msg194173#msg194173

So what are you saying..you keep referencing the qualities you want in a coach.

Are you saying Wim is a bad choice.  Since you are sure about the qualities of a good coach/structure who should be the next coach.

As for it being a logical move..i don't see much of those in local sports.  You might be able to enlighten me, you don't have to provide examples in football alone..you can use any sport in TnT.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »

Alberta, who specifically do you think should have been included in the discussions.

I can't say for sure but I think the following were probably in the loop to some extent:

JW
Leo
Groden + TTFF exec,
Anton (and by extension Alvin)
Latapy
Yorke
Boynes (in a kind of round about way since they talking through the papers)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »
Please  WIM  consider  working with people who  have the BEST interest of TNT not those who are after their own self aggrandizing.

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=18857.msg194119#msg194119

MickeyRat

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »
What we don't need right now is another Trinidadian coach.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »
BRING BACK BSC!  ;)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 09:36:51 PM »
People are we satisfy that the right choice was made?
People are we happy that  the mandate given to this coach is being fulfilled?
People was the hiring of this coach a TTFF initiative?
People are we ready to fully support the initiatives of the TTFF?

If NO to all of the above then why we all so quiet about the TTFF?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2006, 12:55:19 AM »

Apart from not liking the process to select Wim, you seem to not like him as coach. (neither Leo)

I not sure how you feel so strongly about it when we really have had nothing to base a judgement on.

You don't find it a bit premature to make judgements on whether he suitable or not?

I don't know if the man will manage because the current situation is totally different from before, BUT it too early to tell.  Anyone who critising him from all now might have another agenda (nothing wrong with that if they feel it is for T&T benefit I guess)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 07:17:18 AM »
My Beef ahs never been with the credentials nor the abilities of these men as coaches. I wonder as to the scope and depth of their mandate, their commitment to our program on the bigger scale and to the overall direction of the TTFF PERIOD.

Obviously these coaches are knowledgeable, and have vast experience which could be beneficial to our football development.

1]; } ?>