March 28, 2024, 08:45:22 AM

Author Topic: What do we want in a coach? : Seriously ; let's be logical here...  (Read 30655 times)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What do we want in a coach? : Seriously ; let's be logical here...
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »
Carlos Queiroz x Portugal coach can help us, also Klinnsman needs some work.

Terry Fenwick can be a good assistant coach, he knows tt players really well and can get the best out of them most of the times.

Other options are Hugo Sanchez (Mexico), Brazillian Dunga, Chilean Pelligrini, Italians, Ferrara and Donadoni and Massimiliano Allegri.

Meh pick one

JA can have sven or scolari. LOL

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What do we want in a coach? : TNT we want ah coach!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »
The question has not been fully answered. People have bandied about names of prospective coaches but have yet identified the qualities we ought to have in one who  would best qualified to coach TnT. So what if the  SW forum members were given the job to be ' headhunters' , to search out and to select the next  coach for our senior team, what would we  want in a coach?

Would we want someone who :
  • Familiary with the culture
    Understands the demands of  coaching in TnT
    Skillful tactician
    Strong technical knowledge
    Knows how to manage egos
    An Ability to get the best from the most underskilled players
    Could stand up to the bureaucracies of the TTFF
    Will not be puppet ' of you know who
Works well with underachievers

What else ???????? a savior? messiah?  a magic maker? a......

that above description sounds like Bora Milutinović in a nutshell

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
We want a "special one" ...but no wait, he will hadda play attractive football too...hmmm..
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
We want a "special one" ...but no wait, he will hadda play attractive football too...hmmm..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But why is it that some cyar get serious and ARTICULATE THE SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND TRAITS WE LOOKING FOR IN A COACH.
As long as we are inept at doing so, the powers to be will put  anyone who can do  and be affordable and be a puppet  do the job. As you know when you don't have a sound plan, any plan would do.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2010, 07:33:37 PM »
Guess what A Dutch coach after Leo's success is the answer; Look for the play he was most present here in Trinidad a while ago. He coached Chelsea - Guess?

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
Guess what A Dutch coach after Leo's success is the answer; Look for the play he was most present here in Trinidad a while ago. He coached Chelsea - Guess?

eww hiddink.. i rather we keep latas

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2010, 08:11:35 PM »
i think dunga will be the best choice for us. he believes in hard work and organization, he also has ah fitness oriented view of the game, things we truly lack. if not him then rud gullet, or kilssman to straighten out that discombobulated defense.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
Some people quick to name  a person but WHAT do We want to see in a coach for TnT? What should this person be able to do for our program besides the obvious..... what qualities should this person possess?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »
Some people quick to name  a person but WHAT do We want to see in a coach for TnT? What should this person be able to do for our program besides the obvious..... what qualities should this person possess?

Required Qualities in our coach whether local or foreign:

1. Demand respect from Jack (no more blacklist/I pick the team!) :mackdaddy:
2. Demand regular games against decent opponents (Jack & Anil in power so money for games is no problem.) :challenge:
3. Always select our best available in form players  :applause:
4. Instill in our players that losing against Caribbean opponents whether home or away is totally unacceptable even in friendlies! :duel:
5. Reward men who perform well with more caps :thumbsup: & reward men who don't perform well with bench or no more call-ups :thumbsdown: until they consistently doing thing with their clubs that gives you no choice but to look at them again. :thumbsup:
6. Have our team playing a decent brand of possession football where we can string 10+ passes together at speed, run off the ball, whip in decent crosses and take decent shots at goal when our opponents are tired of running after a ball that they cannot get hold of unless collecting it from their net!  :P
7. Always take full blame for our loses! Do not blame the players and make statements like our local players are not good enough when is you who keep picking the same local under-performing players over & over & over again!  :shameonyou:
8. Must win the Caribbean Cup & qualify T&T for the Gold Cup or else don't even wait around to be sacked!  :loser:
9. Decent showing in the Gold Cup, we must finish higher than all other Caribbean teams that also qualify for Gold Cup or else must be happy to walk (again don't even wait around to be asked to leave, yuh not ready for World Cup!).  :-*
10. Do not take the Caribbean derby against Jamaica lightly and if you make the mistake of losing to them at home be assured that your job will be on the line! Trinis living around the world need to be able to walk the streets with our heads held high and our rep as Kings of Caribbean football in tack!! :wavetowel:
11. In fact this person should get worried for their job as head coach :nailbiting: if T&T falls below Ja in the FIFA rankings even for 1 month while they are in charge. :devil:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:13:45 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »

a good right hook
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
Doh call names yet...consider what we really want in a coach for TnT .

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »
Doh call names yet...consider what we really want in a coach for TnT .

To be honest AB.Trini this thread is a complete waste of time until we get what is required from our administration!

I contributed above to the thread but only because at the time I had nothing better to do!
Did you read my contribution?

As good as it was all that I suggested is a waste of time until the root of our football problems is dealt with!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
Time to back to nursery school for the TTFF. Back to the basics at all levels of football programs. We eh really know what we want much less for a coach.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2012, 04:44:17 AM »
Have the TTFF really studied this question?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
No nonsense Bruce Arena- understands the regional competitions- experienced a measure of success against us and with the USA national team. Not a far stretch for our players in terms of system of play.

Or

The return of the native son- Stephen Hart- effective in developing youth teams- had experience  at the Canadian International level. Familiar with TnT. Could bring a renewed perspective to our players.

Or

A long shot- Campo I think he was a former Mexican coach.

Again like Bruce Arena not as high priced or high profile as European coaches.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
Our footballing problems cannot be fixed by any "coach".  We may get temporary patches of "success" (like qualifying for a World Cup) but our football's state of despair needs way more than a coach to fix it.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
In my humble opinion We still need to seriously ask the question before we appoint coaches

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »
What is the answer?

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
What is the answer?

the answer is simple, somebody who could put up with BS and enjoy coming to work.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
What are we looking for in a coach?
No nonsense Bruce Arena- understands the regional competitions- experienced a measure of success against us and with the USA national team. Not a far stretch for our players in terms of system of play.

Or

The return of the native son- Stephen Hart- effective in developing youth teams- had experience  at the Canadian International level. Familiar with TnT. Could bring a renewed perspective to our players.

Or

A long shot- Campo I think he was a former Mexican coach.

Again like Bruce Arena not as high priced or high profile as European coaches.

Ah Love it

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »

People are we satisfy that the right choice was made?
People are we happy that  the mandate given to this coach is being fulfilled?
People was the hiring of this coach a TTFF initiative?
People are we ready to fully support the initiatives of the TTFF?

If NO to all of the above then why we all so quiet about the TTFF?

The carousel continues
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:13:56 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »
Quite compelling when there is little attention paid to the context of our football, our football ethos the attributes of a competent successful coach- instead it appears once more that we resort to nepotism, back room deals . Personal favours .  Incidieous  bias and  friend friend ting.
Is it any wonder that we continue to stagnate and be stymied in our progress.
Yet we seem to be alarmed and offended when an outsider points out the obvious in our approach to the game- recall Wim' s statement of the under the coconut limieing attitude now another states the obvious about our lack of serious intent

We clamour for positive results yet we keep doing the same things over and over hoping we will get the desired outcome - INSANITY- INCOMPETENCE at the highest level attempting to direct the course of our programs
But then in the familiar TnT refrain -"what we go do" that is how it is"

On to WC qualifiers 2022
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:45:07 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
Quite compelling when there is little attention paid to the context of our football, our football ethos the attributes of a competent successful coach- instead it appears once more that we resort to nepotism, back room deals . Personal favours .  Incidieous  bias and  friend friend ting.
Is it any wonder that we continue to stagnate and be stymied in our progress.
Yet we seem to be alarmed and offended when an outsider points out the obvious in our approach to the game- recall Wim' s statement of the under the coconut limieing attitude now another states the obvious about our lack of serious intent

We clamour for positive results yet we keep doing the same things over and over hoping we will get the desired outcome - INSANITY- INCOMPETENCE at the highest level attempting to direct the course of our programs
But then in the familiar TnT refrain -"what we go do" that is how it is"

On to WC qualifiers 2022

What's your opinion about the firing of Hart?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »
Personally I advocated for Hart- I probably could do a search to find  when we began tooting his horn- for so many reasons I thought that we had finally found a coach who understood our game , our context and our players - I relished inthe early success he had with this team and with the program but then the wheels fell off. Reasons one can only surmise. I am not saying any coach is beyond reproach however inmyopinion, there appeared tobe external factors and disruptions which seeped into what was a cohesive unit.

I think the success of a team like this involves more than a coach and in my opinion  Coach Hart was not given the supports or treatment toco duct business to sustain success.  I think if all supports were given and tne results were not forthcoming I could see justifiable reasoning for dismissal.  I mean would it not have made sense to have a Terry Fenwick as a technical advisor or someone else with some credentials to work on Hart's team?  Surround the man with a supportive qualified staff and let's see what could have happened?

Players doing bs and getting reprimanded should not be seen as a slap on Harts tenure - why did the TTFA not come out and publicially denounce and take a strong stance aganist playes who demonstrated a lack of discipline? Why would certainly TTFA officials allegedly be interfering and soliciting players regarding coaching practices - utter unprofessional! So in many ways I think that Coach Hart is a good fit for TnT but I believe certain players let him down and certain personnel around him did the same -
Ironically it felt like a coup!!I would always continue to support our national teams but don't have to agree with some decisions- then again there may be things that they knew that we have not - I support  but will not blindly follow those who claim to lead.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2016, 10:44:08 PM »
Personally I advocated for Hart- I probably could do a search to find  when we began tooting his horn- for so many reasons I thought that we had finally found a coach who understood our game , our context and our players - I relished inthe early success he had with this team and with the program but then the wheels fell off. Reasons one can only surmise. I am not saying any coach is beyond reproach however inmyopinion, there appeared tobe external factors and disruptions which seeped into what was a cohesive unit.

I think the success of a team like this involves more than a coach and in my opinion  Coach Hart was not given the supports or treatment toco duct business to sustain success.  I think if all supports were given and tne results were not forthcoming I could see justifiable reasoning for dismissal.  I mean would it not have made sense to have a Terry Fenwick as a technical advisor or someone else with some credentials to work on Hart's team?  Surround the man with a supportive qualified staff and let's see what could have happened?

Players doing bs and getting reprimanded should not be seen as a slap on Harts tenure - why did the TTFA not come out and publicially denounce and take a strong stance aganist playes who demonstrated a lack of discipline? Why would certainly TTFA officials allegedly be interfering and soliciting players regarding coaching practices - utter unprofessional! So in many ways I think that Coach Hart is a good fit for TnT but I believe certain players let him down and certain personnel around him did the same -
Ironically it felt like a coup!!I would always continue to support our national teams but don't have to agree with some decisions- then again there may be things that they knew that we have not - I support  but will not blindly follow those who claim to lead.

Excellent analysis... :beermug:

I share many if not all of your points, had SH been supported and given the proper support and in the event he had failed despite all the support, then of course, let him go, but this never happened, he was undermined from the beginning which created an environment which was toxic and the intro of the dictator created a downward slide... with people undermining the staff and hart at every turn, as well as certain players..

I will always support my nation but not this corruption and this regime...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:54:18 PM by Controversial »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »
The Coach must be a charismatic leader.
Must be a visionary.
Must not be out dated i.e modern Coaches utilize statistics, understand the value of a team psychologist, athletic trainer, fitness trainers, physiotherapists, physical Therapist(notice I didn't say physician).
Must be able to delegate
Possess great organizational skills
As well as other points which have already been made on this board
Must be able to count to three ( unfortunately none of the Trinidad coaches besides Beenhaaker knows how to do that)
Must be a winner.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »
Now we back to the drawing board- blaming the coach- we really should ask the question:
What do we need in a TTFA administrative body?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Here we go again- until we look at the fundamental principles on page one of this thread we are doom to the heights of stupidity in our approach to any successful program inTnT. The ship n sinking real fast!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »
The ship sink real fast!!!!! The ship done sink. Is just the captain refuse to bail out. Still have the bullion on board.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2020, 06:49:19 AM »
Up till this day- even though we have a coach in place some people still talking about the merits of how that coach was selected?

does anyone know if there was a selection committee and what the criteria was/ is for that said position?

What was the criteria for deciding on a base salary?
Was the awarded salary based on - experience?  Previous coaching success? 

What is the comparative salary among coaches in the region?
How much is the Jamaican national coach paid?

Could we have some sense and  sensibility when it comes to decision making from the TTFA?

1]; } ?>