April 27, 2024, 12:52:33 PM

Author Topic: Foot in the present....Eye to the future....  (Read 3340 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Foot in the present....Eye to the future....
« on: July 21, 2005, 07:56:21 AM »
 What are the  foundations of our dreams for the WCQ? FAITH, HOPE & A  PRAY? Suffice to say we need more  assurances that our reality could be shaped with more than just whismical speculations.

Reality check: we are not in the elite class of superpowers of the football world. however when an opportunity presents itself for one to 'rub shoulders' with the best, we ought to do more to appraise ourselves.

Presently some  players are preoccupied with their respective clubs. For many this is the world of work, a livelihood and a career. Here our preoccupation is with the success of the TNT team qualifying for the World Cup.

As some  have alluded to, our cultural proclivity is to work in what is known  in cultural studies as ' Present Time Orientation' Emphasis on the future is not as prevalent in our thinking as we may wish it to be. One could see that with each WCQ year, we are faced with some similar challenges. We could attribute these to the fact that given our present sysytem  and pool of  higly calibre players, we will continually have to put up with a mix foreign based squad and club commitments.

On the other hand , we are in a catch 22 situation. If we develop and produce solid capable home grown talented players, these players are lured to foreign teams and contracts. This means of livelihood and career for an individual player now takes precedance over representing one's country. The same country which invested time, resources and money to develop that player, is now at the mercy of that players, desire. That same player whose career began on this soil, would now turn around and demand payment for representation on the national team.

What options do we then have? (these options are my humble opinions and  my thoughts  out loud; I do not profess to be an expert nor an authority on the inner working of the TTFF; there are men who are more knowegeable, wiser and have amore feel for what is going on. Simply I am exploring and putting out  possible thinking for reactions.)
OPTION #1: Develop a solid local squad; invest money in training and exposure to international matches and have these players as the core  of a national team. Find a reputable coach; build his/her capacity, knowledge and skills to work at a high level with our players.

OPTION #2: Select a team completely foriegn based players; hold camps in the U.K. hire a foreign manager and treat the players as if th enational team was a professional team.

OPTION #3: Keep doing what we are doing now.

Given how we are  culturally wired and if we are aware of this is it not possible for the powers to be to separate our 'Trini' style and to think progressively for the betterment and future success of the sport and the development of our game?

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=448.msg2369#msg2369

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 08:04:25 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Foot in the present....Eye to the future....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »
alberta dont take this the wrong way..do you have a job?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:07:58 AM »
Duscam,
Don't take the wrong way "That is my business"  but I appreciate the question hahahahahha and the iimplication is not lost.

The question is do you have one?

If I choose to spend  time writing my opinions then it's my time correct? My postings are first and foremost inquiries around the state of football inTNT and where  we are  going as a nation in the sport.   I have little interest in who is the Best goalkeer in the world or which U.K. football team or footballer is making waves etc..... On the other hand , I do not deny nor debase another person for sharing that information and keeping the board  lively. I rEAD ALL POSTING WITH RESPECT AND WITH INTEREST.

My interest is very focused based on my past research on  ethnicity, and culturral thinking  in relation  to sports performance.So Mr. Duscam, I rest my case and now yuh know.
 Dont take it the wrong way.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 08:17:42 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 11:14:23 AM »
Alberta Trini- You seem to have a very analytical Mind. A wonderful gift to be endowed with, and I know that Discipline and hard work has brought you to this point of your being.
Think on this- In a book"From Good to great ", the writer is of the view that one has to get the right people on the bus before the Leader can drive the bus.
I am not.sure that we have the right people on the Bus for this W/Q campaign. It seems to me that we also have to ask some people to get Off the bus.

Part of our Football culture problem is that THE GOOD IS OFTEN THE ENEMY OF THE BEST

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 12:09:13 PM »
I think the best bet is the Bet that comes about Naturally.

Making the World Cup is not a good football Goal for a Nation. The Better Goal is becoming world class in football.

We should strive to be better than the current worlds Best. Making a world cup is a consequence of being a good football team.

Our National goal and structure should be around developing world class teams and players at all age levels.

Because we are World Cup focused we follow the following pattern of trying to assemble teams to participate before each major qualification at all levels.

If we were striving for continous football improvement we would constantly be trying to improve irregardeless of games or fixtures in which case your point about

Training teams and UK camps versus Local players would be a mute point.

We need to develop a plan that will enable us to have players continuously improve and get better clubs

The Answer

Is for us to have clubs to create great players good enough to comand high transfer fees and hence have big money comming from player sales.

This money will allow the local league to have some funds comming in to sustain the local game.

Eventually the national team will sustain itself by either foreign based good players in the mode of Brazil or Argentina or Local based good players in the Mode of Costa Rica or Mexico.

At the end of the Day it is about good players and good players come from good clubs...

The lack of strong football clubs in TnT is the number 1 problem

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 12:24:46 PM »
Alright!!!!  alright !!!! thinkers in the house!!!!!!  thinkers in the house!!!!!!

I reading, I reading
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »
We seem to have beaten this debate to death over the years. those new to the board are only recycling debates.

Any country can be a one off. New Zealand, El Salvador, Honduras, Canada, Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti etc have all been to the dance and I respect them for that. In my view T&T's approach and dear I say Jack's is to get to the dance, in a short cut fashion. Roll the dice maybe is we turn!!!!!!
Countrys that have success and are consistent in football have a FOOTBALL STRUCTURE. Some are far more elaborate than others but they have a structure. For some football is part of their culture, it is in their blood, while others have a different approach ( example USA).
For those that lack a structure they have Academy and / or several players applying their trade in top flight football. Eg. Senegal's Team had 21 of the 22 players playing outside of Senegal in the French 1st Division. Similarly at present Ivory Coast where 16 of its members come from one Academy established years back by a french coach named Guillion (spelling?).
Trinidad was at one time extremely passionate about Football, as a matter of fact extremely passionate about sport in general. Cycling use to sell out, with people travelling from North to South to East and vice versa to watch. It was the same with football and cricket.
Sadly this passion for the local game is dead, man can sit home and watch the best almost every night in leagues World Wide.
Compound that with a total disregard for Sport in schools, communities etc. by the private businesses and government and what you have is present.
Trinidad may one day make it to the WC, this rounds is as good as any. But the truth is we have not invested in the sport in a planned manner that guides us to the best possible potential for success. Sad to say but it the same lack of foresight for long term objectives that have our economy, government, education, medical, social issues on a whole  in the state it is in. Modern Football like all the arts require study, application, dedication and discipline, a football education now is thorough. But without a path that at least promises reward for such study and dedication, why do it?
One day, maybe one day Trinidad will indeed have this structure. Maybe getting to a WC is what is required to attain it. Howevber, I doubt that because the it did not happen for the "one off's" More than likely the financial rewards for getting to the WC, will enter pockets who feel they deserve the reward and the game will remain for ever a roll of the dice.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
Boss post Observer

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 02:56:12 PM »
Great post sah.  Ah knew yuh had it in yuh.

Now repeat after me......Jack Warner is de greatest ting to happen to T&T football since de ball itself.

;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 02:56:43 PM »
so i guess that means no...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 10:24:19 AM »
Duscam,
Boy if yuh must know meh business................... yuh wrong again anyway...... doh try tuh figure me out.just keep yuh corner....

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 11:58:29 AM »
alberta dont take this the wrong way..do you have a job?

Allyuh men is something else.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 12:02:37 PM »
Duscam,
Boy if yuh must know meh business................... yuh wrong again anyway...... doh try tuh figure me out.just keep yuh corner....

Alberta,
U post away..I feel u will reach 2,000 b4 I reach 1,000.... ;D

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 12:10:06 PM »
ehehe Real AH taking a break from holidays ; this is meh break time shhhhhhhhhh .

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »
Well ah think there is more eyes to the future rather than feet  first for August 17.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »
The conversation  start; the future of our footbal structure have to begin now.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 09:22:53 AM »
Alberta ..

Yuh tink T&T and Canada have de same challenges llooking into the future?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 09:35:50 AM »
Peca,
Relatively speaking most countries  do have similar challenges. Canada on the other had appears to have a well developed youth program , excellent  provincial calibre tournaments and a national program with what appears to be a solid infrastructure.  Not to mention they appear to have an organize process for funding.

I believe and it's only my opinion, that Canada does not have the  quality  and natural talent that we seem to possess. On the one hand they seem to have the  pieces of the puzzle to be a formidable  strength but....they have a mental hurdle to cross. If Canada would accept that they are a country comparable to TNT  and fight  for football supremacy rather than take the approach that they are one  and one with the states!!!!

Consider that with the  availability of diverse immigrants from football playing nations to draw upon, Canada should be in  a better position than we but with their team, I  ascribe part of their failure to a mind set.  They seem to Oprah  teams like Trinidad and central American teams with a  'mighty and thou' attitude and the respect accorded tot these teams are often lacking. I have picked this up from many of their coaches, and players and you get that feeling permeating  from the general populous. These are just my humble opinions.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 09:51:31 AM »
Peca,
Relatively speaking most countries  do have similar challenges. Canada on the other had appears to have a well developed youth program , excellent  provincial calibre tournaments and a national program with what appears to be a solid infrastructure.  Not to mention they appear to have an organize process for funding.

I believe and it's only my opinion, that Canada does not have the  quality  and natural talent that we seem to possess. On the one hand they seem to have the  pieces of the puzzle to be a formidable  strength but....they have a mental hurdle to cross. If Canada would accept that they are a country comparable to TNT  and fight  for football supremacy rather than take the approach that they are one  and one with the states!!!!

Consider that with the  availability of diverse immigrants from football playing nations to draw upon, Canada should be in  a better position than we but with their team, I  ascribe part of their failure to a mind set.  They seem to Oprah  teams like Trinidad and central American teams with a  'mighty and thou' attitude and the respect accorded tot these teams are often lacking. I have picked this up from many of their coaches, and players and you get that feeling permeating  from the general populous. These are just my humble opinions.

So possibly, if T&T duplicate the infrasture and funding model, without the mindset, that might be the answer.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 10:03:50 AM »
So possibly, if T&T duplicate the infrastructure and funding model, without the mindset, that might be the answer.

Pecan,
 What you are saying may partially work, but remember cultural context also pays an important part of  successful implementation. It may not be that easy to replicate from one  context to the other. For example Britain has afootball league TNT also has afootball league but the comparisons stop. Why is it that a country the size of Canada cannot sustain a successful football league? ( size demographics, travel) ummm.. well they do it for other less known sports like the Canadian football( not soccer) league? But note that in that sport, it is one with a history dating back to the 40's-50's  played by predominantly Canadians!!!

In Trinidad we may have a mindset about football but is it good enough to provide sustainable success is the answer. I would like to  first hand judge the support of our pro league games. My knowledge and lived experience of what  the TNT midset for football was emerged from the late 60's early 70's. When North  South  were games that griped the nation. Undoubtly much has changed from then. 

So I wish the answers were simple to say this is the remedy to success. Why is it that Brazil are forever present in the World Cup?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:05:21 AM by AlbertaTrini »

1]; } ?>