April 26, 2024, 11:15:11 AM

Author Topic: Yorke's A-League future still up in air.  (Read 3814 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Yorke's A-League future still up in air.
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:01:14 AM »
Yorke's A-League future still up in air.
By: The Age.

Dwight Yorke has returned to Sydney FC training along with speculation - fuelled by him - that he may not play out the final season of his two-year deal with the A-League champions.
Always the professional, the former Manchester United star emphasised his commitment to give 100 per cent while at the club, but he was non-committal about his future in Sydney.
The Trinidad and Tobago captain well knows the mechanics of world football, that while you and the club may have signed an agreement, there is no iron-clad guarantee either party will see out the deal.
So when asked, after his first training session since Trinidad bowed out of the World Cup in Germany last month, whether he would still be wearing Sydney colours at the end of the A-League season, Yorke honestly replied: "I don't know. You just never know in football."
Particularly when international clubs are still showing interest.
"I'll be quite honest, there is interest as we speak, but it's not for me to discuss that," said the 34-year-old, who's tenure at the club had been speculated about since Sydney claimed the inaugural title in March.
"We'll wait and see, but at the minute I'm back here reporting to training.
"I am here to do my job until otherwise. I signed a two-year contract and my obligation is to fulfil that two-year contract. Whether that continues or not I don't know."
But while other clubs might be biting, it is unlikely Sydney would let Yorke go. Or at least, let their reported $900,000-a-season blue chip investment depart for anything less than a substantial fee.
"We have every intention of retaining him for the season and defending the championship with him," said Sydney FC chief executive Tim Parker, who added there had been no official offer from a rival club for Yorke.
"It's flattering that there's a lot of interest in him and not unexpected given his terrific performances.
"But as far as we're concerned we hope that he's on board for the entire season. I think we have answered the one question of `is he coming back?'."
One thing Yorke is sure of is that he is still some way from peak fitness after a much-needed month off.
As well as his A-League commitments last season, Yorke clocked up a mountain of frequent flyer points travelling to and from the Caribbean, Central America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East to play for Trinidad. He also undertook a two-month training stint with Manchester United to stay fit ahead of Germany 2006.
"I haven't kicked a ball since the World Cup," said Yorke, who rated his current fitness as "shocking".
"The management staff has kindly given me amply time to recharge the battery and hopefully I've done that.
"I can't wait to start again and its been fun to be back here with the lads.
"It'll be three to four weeks (before he gets back to full fitness), and my target is the first game of the season (on August 27)."
New Sydney coach Terry Butcher, who was absent from training due to an A-League coaches forum, has already ruled his marquee player out of Sydney's pre-season cup game with New Zealand Knights this Saturday, with the following week's match against Perth Glory in Wollongong likely to be the earliest Yorke will play.
Sydney FC's Yorke staying put: coach.
By: Sydney Morning Herald.

Sydney coach Terry Butcher has hosed down the possibility of star playmaker and captain Dwight Yorke moving overseas before his contract expires at the end of this A-League season.
Yorke said on Monday it was uncertain whether he would still be wearing a blue shirt come March as there had been strong interest from overseas clubs, ignited by the 34-year-old's World Cup campaign with Trinidad and Tobago.
But Butcher denied Tuesday there had been any overtures for the Sydney skipper and said Yorke had told him he was "100 per cent behind Sydney".
"Can I categorically state now that Dwight Yorke will not be leaving Sydney FC," Butcher said.
"There's been no communication from any club in the world about Dwight Yorke and as far as we're concerned and as far as Dwight's concerned, there's only one thing on his mind and that's doing well for Sydney FC this season.
"I can categorically put that to bed now and say Dwight's back now, he needs a bit of work with his fitness, which he will get, and we are delighted that he's back with us ... he's here to stay."
The Sydney coach described the return of Yorke as like having "a new signing" as he had been absent up until training on Monday as he recovered from his exploits in Germany.
Yorke will not play against New Zealand in Auckland on Saturday with the opening A-League clash with Central Coast on August 27 the target for his comeback.
Sydney's injury worries lessened with news key defender Mark Rudan (ankle) is back in training after missing Saturday's Pre-Season Cup 2-1 win over Newcastle.
Initially expected to be out for up to three weeks, Rudan is set for an early return against the Knights.
"We thought it was (going to be up to three weeks off) but it was more of a knock than an actual strain," Butcher said.
But the news was not so good for new recruit Jeremy Brockie (knee), with Butcher saying the Kiwi striker needed further conditioning work and was likely to miss two more matches.
Despite an unbeaten start to the pre-season, Butcher wants his team to improve in all areas of the park and believes mental strength is the key to a successful title defence.
"We need to have a strong mental ruthless streak where we can convert chances and get come clean sheets," he said.
"No goals against gives you a good platform to work on and if we can improve in that area and other areas I'll be delighted."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:59:42 AM by Flex »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke's A-League future still up in air.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:08:27 AM »
Particularly when international clubs are still showing interest.
"I'll be quite honest, there is interest as we speak, but it's not for me to discuss that," said the 34-year-old, who's tenure at the club had been speculated about since Sydney claimed the inaugural title in March.
"We'll wait and see, but at the minute I'm back here reporting to training.

Premier league, premier league, premier league!!  :drool: :praying: :drool: :praying:

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:23:15 AM »
it go B A NICE SATURDAY MORNIN

to see yorke line up against carlos in a bolton watford prem clash
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »
Dwight parting words to Sydney FC

Thanks it was great.  I was able to lime with meh partner Lara after we qualified as the WI was in Australia but it is time for me to move on.

All the best to the socceroos see u in 2010
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 05:10:38 AM »
Yorke raises future doubt
By Mark Buckingham -  Created on 24 Jul 2006
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Exactly how much do you know about the beautiful game? Find out here.

Related links
Player Pages:
Dwight Yorke
Dwight Yorke concedes he is unsure if he will fulfil the final year of his contract in Australia with Sydney FC.

The veteran attacker proved a big hit down under last season and helped Sydney to finish the campaign as champions.

But an impressive World Cup showing for Trinidad & Tobago has put Yorke back on the radar of European clubs, with Plymouth Argyle having decided a bid would be too expensive.

Yorke has other offers in the pipeline and the 34-year-old is uncertain whether he will be playing for Terry Butcher's side in the coming campaign.

"You just never know in football," admitted Yorke.

"I'll be quite honest, there is interest as we speak, but it's not for me to discuss that.

"I signed a two-year contract and my obligation is to fulfil that. Whether that continues or not I don't know."

The former Manchester United star has returned for training with Sydney, whose chief executive Tim Parker remains hopeful of hanging on to Yorke.

Parker said: "We have every intention of retaining him for the season and defending the championship with him.

"It's flattering that there's a lot of interest in him and not unexpected given his terrific performances.

"But as far as we're concerned, we hope that he's on board for the entire season.

"I think we have answered the one question of 'Is he coming back?'"

1]; } ?>