April 25, 2024, 09:51:39 PM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors best behaved team in the world cup  (Read 4311 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors best behaved team in the world cup
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »
BERLIN (AP) -- Who's the baddest World Cup team of them all? A software company says Paraguay ranks at the bottom when it comes to misbehavior at the global soccer tournament.

Staff at the British office of Information Builders (IBI) tracked a string of alternative statistics during Germany 2006, including dives, feigned injuries, referee intimidation, and tantrums -- even players who didn't sing their national anthem.

According to their findings from watching TV broadcasts of the 32 teams' games, Italy leads in dives (32), France in tantrums (28), Paraguay in fake injuries (12), and Serbia and Montenegro in players not singing the anthem (31).

Croatia, France, Italy and Portugal are tied in bullying the referee incidents with five, although Croatia played half the games (three) than the others did.

Information Builders devised the "IBI Foul Play Index" by awarding points for yellow and red cards, bullying the referee, dives, fake injuries and tantrums. The total is then divided by the number of games played.

Paraguay leads the tournament with an index of 45, followed by Italy (40) and the Netherlands, Ivory Coast and Portugal (37).

France, Italy's opponent in Sunday's final, is tied with Germany, Switzerland and Togo for 14th at 26. England, tied with South Korea, is 19th at 23.

Trinidad and Tobago was the best behaved team the tournament, with a Foul Play Index of just 14. Next were Brazil, Costa Rica and Sweden (all 15) and the U.S. (16).

T&T were nailed for just four dives, three tantrums, two fake injuries and three players not singing the anthem.

Angola, Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Spain all scored perfect marks in anthem participation.

Information Builders is using the information to promote its software, which organizes data.

FIFA has its own Fair Play Index, but declined to provide it when asked Friday.

___

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DID: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has admitted diving in order to trick referees during his playing days in Switzerland.

Diving, simulating fouls, faking injuries and players pleading with referees to pull cards on rivals have become a scourge of the World Cup. Blatter, as head of the sport's governing body, and the likes of Franz Beckenbauer are outspoken critics of it.

But Blatter has admitted in a TV interview to be aired on CNN International that he was less than a model of sportsmanship when he played in the Swiss league.

"I was not a perfect player, I have to say, being a striker. A striker cannot be a perfect player," Blatter said in the interview. "I also argued with the referee but I tried to argue in a polite manner.

"I tried also to get some advantages by joking with a player and then falling down by saying 'but he touched me.' And in fact it was not that. I did it."

Blatter said he could understand why players tried a bit of gamesmanship.

"All players -- especially attacking players -- they do it because you go into the 18-yard area and then you lose the ball because somebody takes it away," he said. "You are frustrated, and then in the frustration you do two things, either you try to get the ball back and then you commit a foul or then you say 'but he touched me,' and then you fall down.

"I can understand the players acting like that. But now they are at the level of the World Cup and they are the professionals, so they should think about that."

___

ON THE BLOCK: A little piece of the World Cup could be yours.

Hamburg auction house Dechow says the organizing committee has chosen it as a partner in disposing of tournament equipment -- and ensuring that not too much will end up in the garbage.

"A lot of the inventory can be reused, even if it is just to take a piece of the World Cup home, and enjoy that even if it has no practical use," Dechow manager Jan Broeker told the daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on Friday.

So what will be on offer, exactly?

"No turf, but otherwise we are still gathering what we can offer," Broeker said.

He added that some stadium managers and cities had expressed interest in keeping World Cup equipment, perhaps for museums _ "but we are hopeful that we can auction the corner flags, as well as one or two trainers' benches and perhaps even a goal."

Auction dates have yet to be set, but "we hope we will be through with everything in the second half of August at the latest," Broeker said.

___

ITALY'S WONDERWALL: Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher plans to take in Sunday's World Cup final, wearing a special outfit at the request of Italy's Alessandro Del Piero.

The Manchester City fan, who has already seen Germany-Italy and England-Sweden, told www.fifaworldcup.com that Del Piero is an Oasis fan.

"He comes to see us when we're over in Italy and he's been to see us in France," Gallagher said. "We did an interview with him once for the Gazzetta dello Sport and we got to know him. He gives us shirts and he gave me a pair of his boots once, but I had to split them with (brother) Liam -- he's got one boot and I've got the other."

Gallagher said Del Piero, upset that he was not starting against Germany, told him he would score off the bench.

"After the game, he said I'd become his lucky mascot so I've got to go to the final and wear the exact same clothes and underwear and socks to bring him good luck."

Gallagher said he had been impressed with several Mexican players and Argentina forward Carlos Tevez, calling him "the little rough-looking fellow."

"Apart from Tevez, I'd go for (England's) Owen Hargreaves."

___

THE CLEAN GAME: Thirsty fans at the 2006 World Cup consumed drinks in 5.5 million refillable cups that were sold in stadiums in an effort to cut down on waste generated during the tournament, a leading German environmental group said.

The DUH praised the reusable cup initiative for helping make World Cup 2006 "the cleanest game ever."

Organizers for the 2008 European Championship, to be held in Switzerland and Austria, have already expressed interest in a similar concept, the DUH said.

___

SAFE HANDS: Italy's Gianluigi Buffon can enter the World Cup record book Sunday.

Buffon, who has only given up an own-goal at the tournament, has not been beaten for 453 minutes to rank fifth in the all-time ranking for goalkeepers. A shutout against Italy will give Buffon, last beaten in the 27th minute of Italy's second group game against the U.S., the tournament record.

The current mark is held by Italian Walter Zenga, who went 517 minutes without conceding a goal at Italia 90, going five matches before Argentina's Claudio Caniggia scored in the 67th minute of the semifinal.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors best behaved team in the world cup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:07:40 AM »
could we win some kinda 'sportmanship trophy?" hahahahahhaaha

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:52:58 AM »
and three players not singing the anthem.[/b]

What were the 3 instances?
Same player?

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »
im sure argentina dived

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:11:26 AM »
Best Behaved...Yes

But according to PEG et al...most horribly dressed  ;D  ;D

YES AH CHOOKIN FIRE!!....is friday dammit
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
After watching the games over, it appeared as if Yorkie was fumbling the words to the Anthem...

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 10:32:58 AM »
laad , so birchall singin and dwight was fumblin it ... but it doh matter , we know they can sing it !
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
funny... most teams would be celebratin dis... buh when de players mudda's find out dey go get one setta cuttass and cuss...

is Trini broughtupcy...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 12:04:49 PM »
funny... most teams would be celebratin dis... buh when de players mudda's find out dey go get one setta cuttass and cuss...

is Trini broughtupcy...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nuttin like yu mudda bussin yu ass for not singing.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »
After watching the games over, it appeared as if Yorkie was fumbling the words to the Anthem...

dat is just how de man does sing!!

lol

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 12:17:52 PM »
this is like winning Miss congeniality in de Miss universe competition  ;D

consolation ting
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:20:05 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 12:19:18 PM »
this is like winning Miss congeniality in de Miss universe competition  ;D

for real ;D

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
who throw them 3 tantrums??

think i remember yorke talking to the ref bout something in the  sweeden game but no tantrums
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 02:46:57 PM »
Best Behaved...Yes

That's a good fire Dutty.....chook that friggin' fire, I right there with yuh. De man went off on how bad we dress and how we're Third World.....He even use Italy as a "professional" role model because they wore suits. (Italy leads in the department of poor behaviour)......

I rather my boys look "third world" and behave with class........

PEG meh boy where yuh ?!!?! haha happy Friday boss, iz no scene just ole talk  :beermug:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:53:43 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »
FIFA Fair play award here we come.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
FIFA Fair play award here we come.

Only teams which qualify for the second round are eligible for this award according to some sources (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_awards ). FIFA doesn't officially publish its criteria but rather says only:

"The FIFA Fair Play award is given to the team with the best record of fair play according to the points system
and criteria established by the FIFA Fair Play Committee."

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 05:36:44 PM »
so it wud be brazil  ???

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 05:53:11 PM »
Yorke must have fumbled in the Sweden game when they played the shortened version. We all fumbled. As 4 not singing the anthem in the past that was Jack.

A g/friend of mines who ain't know sqaut about football but watched the game with Bahrain ask me how come they white boy singin the anthem and not the keeper.

I was impressed that she knew that the keeper dressed differently. That is how much unity the SW brought to the nation my g/friends were watching football.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 06:35:48 PM »
Best Behaved...Yes

That's a good fire Dutty.....chook that friggin' fire, I right there with yuh. De man went off on how bad we dress and how we're Third World.....He even use Italy as a "professional" role model because they wore suits. (Italy leads in the department of poor behaviour)......

I rather my boys look "third world" and behave with class........

PEG meh boy where yuh ?!!?! haha happy Friday boss, iz no scene just ole talk  :beermug:

PEG nah female????
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »

PEG nah female????

If she is....addendum "PEG girl where yuh ?...happy friday...iz no scene just ole talk"  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Great world cup facts
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »

just got an email with these facts

Dwight Yorke and his T&T teammates had the best
behaviour record with a Foul Play Index of just 14.

Next were Brazil, Costa Rica and Sweden (all 15) and the US (16).

T&T were caught for just four dives, three
tantrums, two fake injuries and three players not singing the anthem.

Angola, Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador,
Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Spain all scored perfect
marks in anthem participation.

According to their findings from watching TV
broadcasts of the 32 teams' games, Italy lead in
dives (32), France in tantrums (28), Paraguay in
fake injuries (12), and Serbia and Montenegro in
players not singing the anthem (31).

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
GERMAN CHANCELLOR RECOGNIZES T&T
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 05:53:58 AM »
GERMAN CHANCELLOR RECOGNIZES T&T
by Shaun Fuentes

July 7, 2006 

German Chancellor Angela Merkel met FIFA Vice President Jack Warner and a former boss of the FIFA Joao Havelange made special reference to the national flag on what was yet another day of pride for Trinidad and Tobago in Germany.

Warner and Havelange with the T&T flag behind in Berlin on Friday

Though the “Soca Warriors” have long left German soil, their name seems to have been embedded on the minds of those there as Merkel and World Cup Organizing Committee Chief Franz Beckenbauer made mention of how delighted they were to have tiny T&T create such a stir as the Organizing Committee held a farewell function in Berlin ahead of the final weekend of competition.

“The German Chancellor said thanks to FIFA for organizing and conducting such a successful World Cup as this one. She thanked Mr Beckenbauer and the members of the LOC and when she was introduced to me she and Beckenbauer were no short of words for Trinidad and Tobago. And then of course you had Joao Havelange pointing and smiling at our country’s flag as it stood proudly among the 32 countries at the chancellery,”  a beaming Warner told TTFF Media.

“The Chancellor also thanked the previous Government of German for having successfully laid the foundation for this event which foundation her new Government followed scrupulously.”

Some 50,000 volunteers, security personnel and others who contributed were also thanked including the fans who numbered 3.2 million. FIFA President Sepp Blatter was also presented with Germany’s highest award.

Warner: CONCACAF can stand proudly

Warner, in his capacity as CONCACAF President also made a statements to the effect of his confederation being able to hold his own despite the fact that only one of the four nations advanced beyond the first round.

Special mention of course was made of T&T’s fighting performance which continues to get rave reviews and the showing of the Mexicans in their narrow loss to Argentina.

“CONCACAF still has a lot to be thankful for especially over the fact of how T&T performed and this is still the talking point here in Germany and all over the world. It is on the basis of that that several offers have been made by countries for matches against T&T - all of which are being considered now,” Warner said.

“While it is true that we in CONCACAF are disappointed in the performance of the USA and Costa Rica, Mexico still made us proud in proceeding to the next round and playing valiantly against Argentina - so, in a word, CONCACAF's stocks are still very high,” he added.

Warner is also seen with Chancellor Angela Merkel

Soca Warriors best behaved in Germany

And even though Leo Beenhakker’s team had to play almost all of the second half against Sweden without defender Avery John because of  a red card, the “Soca Warriors” were listed as the “Best Behaved” team of the tournament. This is according to an analysis done by the Staff  at the British office of Information Builders (IBI) which tracked a string of alternative statistics during Germany 2006, including dives, feigned injuries, referee intimidation, and tantrums -- even players who didn't sing their national anthem.

Dwight Yorke and his T&T teammates had the best behaviour record with a Foul Play Index of just 14. Next were Brazil, Costa Rica and Sweden (all 15) and the U.S. (16).

T&T were caught for r just four dives, three tantrums, two fake injuries and three players not singing the anthem.

Angola, Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Spain all scored perfect marks in anthem participation.

According to their findings from watching TV broadcasts of the 32 teams' games, Italy leads in dives (32), France in tantrums (28), Paraguay in fake injuries (12), and Serbia and Montenegro in players not singing the anthem (31).

Croatia, France, Italy and Portugal are tied in bullying the referee incidents with five, although Croatia played half the games (three) than the others did. FIFA has its own Fair Play Index, but declined to provide it when asked.

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Great world cup facts
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 07:10:48 AM »
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 12:01:20 PM »
If i remember clearly i don't think i saw Cyd Grey singing the anthem although it doesn't matter to me, he was looking very focused and that was reflected in his performances

1]; } ?>