April 29, 2024, 08:11:04 AM

Author Topic: Mason makes his mark  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Mason makes his mark
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:48:54 AM »
Jamaican-born Germaine Mason showed signs of raising the bar in British high jumping after a solid debut at the European Cup in Malaga.

Two years ago, the 23-year-old claimed World Indoor bronze for Jamaica but he has now been cleared to represent Britain via a passport from his father.

Mason shrugged off a nervous start to finish third with a decent leap of 2.27m - one centimetre below his season's best.

"It was a bit shaky but I was really pleased to compete for Great Britain in front of so many people," said Mason.

"I did not expect there to be so many British fans watching in Spain."

The 23-year-old Mason was persuaded to represent Britain by his mother six years ago, but, after being told he would have to sit out the 2003 World Championships and Athens Olympics, he put the decision on hold.

The IAAF finally gave Mason the green light to compete for Britain in April.

"My mum told me I should compete for Britain because they support their athletes much better," said Mason.

"I was a bit hesitant at first, but I finally made my move and now I'm happy.

"There is no support system or funding in Jamaica. You have to go out on the circuit and make what you can in earnings.

"Now I get lottery support, the medical attention is good and everyone is treating me a lot better. I'm very grateful.

"Everyone on the team has come round and welcomed me as a newcomer.

"I've noticed the difference even now. My body is feeling really good and I'm ready to jump a decent height."

Mason's season's best of 2.28m makes him the British number one ahead of Commonwealth silver medallist Martyn Bernard, fellow youngster Tom Parsons and the experienced Ben Challenger.

But the Jamaican, who trains in Texas and only arrived in the UK at the beginning of June, is ready for the domestic competition to hot up as the summer goes on.

"I'm not familiar with the high jumpers in Britain at the moment, I only know Ben," admitted Mason. "But I wouldn't want to come here and have an easy ride.

"It will be good to have a challenge in Britain and I'm looking forward to the competition."

Mason is more clued up on who he could face at this summer's European Championships.

The Gothenburg event will be his first major competition since winning bronze at the 2004 World Indoors.

"The Europeans have dominated high jump for years so they have always been my main competition," said Mason.

"Olympic champion Stefan Holm, Russia's Yaroslav Rybakov and Swede Linus Thornblad are all jumping good. But they are not that far from me - they're in striking distance."

1]; } ?>