April 27, 2024, 11:12:52 PM

Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo Thread.  (Read 129136 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Re: It's Official Ronaldo: Europe's no.1
« Reply #600 on: December 04, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »
^^

Why discuss other players in a Cronaldo thread? ... but since you insist - do other teams have cheaters?
Yes.
But plain and simple, the man is a cheater.

If from the way I speak, the man is not an honest footballer, then form the way you speak, Cronaldo is not a cheater?

Are you even willing to go as far to admit that Cronaldo CHEATS? ... and in doing so, reaps individual and team rewards? But I'm sure since ManUre is/ was a big side before Chelsea had the big bucks, that it so entitles them and any of their players to cheat and get away with it.

Then too, because of ManUre's history, then they are solely entitled to spend big dollars - and no one else is allowed that priviledge?

Since when is/ was ManUre a bigger side than Real Madrid? ... or Liverpool for that matter?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »
ok yeah. Ronaldo is a cheater. He secretly changed ballots for him to win the award. He bribed people to vote for him. Real wanna spend big bucks to buy him cause they think he can cheat for them to win. Your boss scolari use to drop him from portugal side cause he is a cheat. He cheat on he gf, he cheat on BPL he cheat on you, but most of all he cheat on you.

Feeling better?

For the record, i even said it other threads, i dont like the fella, however, if he help Utd win again, then i  glad.
Whether i like the fella or not, he had an exceptional year regardless. If u cyah admit/ realize that, then there's nothing more i can say.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 04, 2008, 07:32:37 PM »
However its important to remember that the award is meant to recognize the best player in a calendar year; not the best player.

me personally, I find that a calendar year is a sufficiently long time that there is no difference between the two.

the best player won't necessarily be the best player in a given game and people does go in and out of form but if a man is better than everybody else over the course of a whole year then he's the best player in the world.  that's not to say that Messi/Kaka/whoever else can't overtake him.

daryn..

hypothetically, lets say that Barcelona had no dressing room turmoil and Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o et al were playing to their full potentials. Also Messi remained injury free and Barcelona won alot of stuff...

On the other hand, Tevez, Rio and Van Der Sar was hitting de night clubs, the team suffered injuries and had a below par season. Ronaldo had some injuries throughout the year, and despite being excellent when available, his achievements were sub par.

you would still think that the award should go to CR7 being the better player?

What's your point?

I don't think anyone claimed (or would dare to claim) that Ronaldo would have won if he and his team had a sub-par season due to injury and turmoil, and Messi had the perfect season.....That hypothetical scenario proves nothing.

If you want to make the point that Messi is better than C.Ronaldo regardless of the surrounding factors you have to create a hypothetical which puts them on even footing...

either they both suffered from injury/turmoil or both didn't...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #603 on: December 04, 2008, 07:53:01 PM »
ok yeah. Ronaldo is a cheater. He secretly changed ballots for him to win the award. He bribed people to vote for him. Real wanna spend big bucks to buy him cause they think he can cheat for them to win. Your boss scolari use to drop him from portugal side cause he is a cheat. He cheat on he gf, he cheat on BPL he cheat on you, but most of all he cheat on you.

Feeling better?

For the record, i even said it other threads, i dont like the fella, however, if he help Utd win again, then i  glad.
Whether i like the fella or not, he had an exceptional year regardless. If u cyah admit/ realize that, then there's nothing more i can say.

No no, I just trying to get a perspective from the supporters who feel Cronaldo is the best thing in a boots, nay Latapy.
It's a journalistic award - one which up to just recent history was not allowed to be presented to players other than European players at European clubs. However, if I were to point out the obvious bias towards Man U in the media, of course I would be delusional.
Real's motives behind getting Cronaldo is purely not solely a football move, much like the Beckham move. If it were football and football only, then they would not be waving such big dollar signs in front of him. Shirt sales translate to dollar signs too, and if Real's supporters demanded their hierarchy to sign any other player, they would surely take a look.
Funny thing you mentioned Portugal, because where are all those magical tricks in Internationals?

When he got Rooney sent off in the WC .... Remember what the England supporters at Man U say about him?
How about earlier in the summer when he wasted Man U for a move to Real .... what was said about him by his Man U fans?

I don't think anyone is saying that he didn't have an exceptional year ... but were the benefits and results enhanced by his cheating, is something that everyone needs to be reminded off before you cast your loyalties.

Let me put it to you this way.
If Trinidad makes it to the WC '10 in South Africa .... is all forgiven of Jack Warner?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 05, 2008, 05:25:09 AM »
i dont think anyone here would say that he is the best thing in boots. Utd fans just feel that the fella deserve the award for his great year.

I eh forgive him for how he was moving in the summer, or how he suddenly want more money. they should buss he throat next season. However, while he here and we winning, i hope someone can step up to replace him for the goals. It is very clear that when he is on the field its give utd an added advantage.
As for portugal, i doh care bout them and it doh bother me if dey loss. I support ronaldo on the Utd team, not as an individual or on any other team.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 05, 2008, 10:07:12 AM »
However its important to remember that the award is meant to recognize the best player in a calendar year; not the best player.

me personally, I find that a calendar year is a sufficiently long time that there is no difference between the two.

the best player won't necessarily be the best player in a given game and people does go in and out of form but if a man is better than everybody else over the course of a whole year then he's the best player in the world.  that's not to say that Messi/Kaka/whoever else can't overtake him.

daryn..

hypothetically, lets say that Barcelona had no dressing room turmoil and Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o et al were playing to their full potentials. Also Messi remained injury free and Barcelona won alot of stuff...

On the other hand, Tevez, Rio and Van Der Sar was hitting de night clubs, the team suffered injuries and had a below par season. Ronaldo had some injuries throughout the year, and despite being excellent when available, his achievements were sub par.

What's your point?

I don't think anyone claimed (or would dare to claim) that Ronaldo would have won if he and his team had a sub-par season due to injury and turmoil, and Messi had the perfect season.....That hypothetical scenario proves nothing.

If you want to make the point that Messi is better than C.Ronaldo regardless of the surrounding factors you have to create a hypothetical which puts them on even footing...

i think my point flew over your head..

i was addressing daryn who said that he believes being better in a calendar year is a sufficient enough time to adjudge a player as being the better player overall.. My point was that in any given season, there can be many factors that could push even the best player down the ladder temporarily. But that doesn't impact someone's assessment of who is better overall.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 05, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »

daryn..

What's your point?

i think my point flew over your head..

i was addressing daryn who said that he believes being better in a calendar year is a sufficient enough time to adjudge a player as being the better player overall.. My point was that in any given season, there can be many factors that could push even the best player down the ladder temporarily. But that doesn't impact someone's assessment of who is better overall.

Your last question was:

"you would still think that the award should go to CR7 being the better player?"

Of course if the odds and misfortune were stacked against C.Ronaldo and everything was in favor of Messi, Messi would more likely be awarded player of the year... or be considered the best player in that season.  I don't see how that hypothetical situation challenges whether a year is enough to time to form an opinion over who is the best player (As Daryn indicated it doesn't mean that Messi etc can't later on surpass him)....especially when the award is specific to a defined time period....Unless you think that people are branding C.Ronaldo the best player ever and for eternity based on his form last season.

All you did is imply obvious reasons why a player (such as Messi) may not be the best in any given year (injury etc)....so?   

so maybe to you your point flew over my head...to me there was no real point.  You were just stating the obvious.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
C Ronaldo to become a legend like Pele and Maradona?
« Reply #607 on: December 20, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
Ronaldo can emulate Pele and Maradona, says Ferguson

Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo has the potential to become as great a player as Pele or Diego Maradona, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson said on Saturday.

"The expectations are always so high with Cristiano because of his rise in the last two or three years since we got him as a young kid," Ferguson told a news conference on the eve of his side's Club World Cup final against Ecuador's LDU .

"He scored 42 goals last season -- his goal-scoring is the one area which for a wide player Cristiano is absolutely superb.

"Pele scored in a World Cup final as a 17-year-old and Maradona played for his country at 17. Cristiano was 18 so the signs are the same."

Ferguson's lavish praise comes during the latest war of words between United and Spanish giants Real Madrid over the future of the Ballon d'Or winner.

"His ability with two feet is tremendous," purred Ferguson. "You would never associate it with a Portuguese winger but he is absolutely magnificent in the air.

"He's 23 now and still a very young lad but there's a lot of things in his favour to go on and prove himself as a legend."

Ronaldo was among the scorers in United's 5-3 win over Japan's Gamba Osaka in Thursday's Club World Cup semi-final but was overshadowed by two goals from substitute Wayne Rooney.

SAME DESIRE

"Cristiano still has to recapture his goal-scoring form of last season but he still has the same desire to have the ball all the time," said Ferguson.

"Very few wingers can have such an influence on a game as Cristiano."
http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballNews/idUKT26622720081220?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Ferguson: Ronaldo can be a legend
2 hours ago

Sir Alex Ferguson believes everything is in place for Cristiano Ronaldo to go on and become one of football's true greats.

Ronaldo has already achieved plenty in his short career - appearing in the final of Euro 2004 with Portugal, lifting two Premier League titles and a Champions League trophy with Manchester United, plus a host of individual honours, including the prestigious Ballon D'Or.

"Pele scored in a World Cup semi-final as a 17-year-old. Maradona played for his country at 17. Cristiano was 18. All the signs are the same." said Ferguson.

"What you don't know about him, but can say about Maradona and Pele, is that their careers lasted for a number of years.

"Pele played in two World Cup finals, as did Maradona. Maybe Portugal do not have the profile to get to World Cup finals, the same as Brazil and Argentina - so you have to judge him a different way."

It means Ferguson feels Ronaldo must maintain the high levels that brought him 42 goals last year and amass major honours in the same way Ruud Gullit and Zinedine Zidane achieved to assume the mantle of greatness. He would have to do even more to be regarded in the same company as Pele and Maradona.

Yet the Scot knows Ronaldo has all the attributes required to reach those heady heights. It is little wonder then that Real Madrid have been so keen to get him - and United just as determined the Madeira-born player should stay where he is.

"Cristiano is superb," said Ferguson.

"He has timing getting into the box, ability with two feet - and you would never associate a Portuguese winger with such magnificent ability in the air. He is like an old fashioned centre-forward.

"There are a lot of things in his favour to go on and become a legend. The answers will come in the next few years."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h5FUvfl-ngALrugndqNAh5mPILNQ

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: C Ronaldo to become a legend like Pele and Maradona?
« Reply #608 on: December 20, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
How many world cups has he won...... :devil:.......you have be there at the biggest dance

Great player as he is,I think he has to perform on that level before being placed on the throne,just my two cents

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 20, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »
if and when he wins the world cup i think that will cement his place in the pantheon of the greats.  he is already somewhat of a legend to many around the world.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
How many world cups has he won...... :devil:.......you have be there at the biggest dance

Great player as he is,I think he has to perform on that level before being placed on the throne,just my two cents

how much world cups george best win? yet play in?

stop talking shit...a world cup winners medal doesnt define a player...yes it helps but is not his fault portugal shitty lol

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
" Yeah boy Christiano .. you is de best ever ...be bestest of the best ... better than pELE, MARADONA ....doh leave we nah !" Sir alex fergusson on bended knees  

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 20, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

stop talking shit...a world cup winners medal doesnt define a player...yes it helps but is not his fault portugal shitty lol

::)

George Best is not a legend like Pele or Maradona.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »

maybe you should read around... he right amongst them

legend 7

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 20, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »

legend 7

In any literature published outside of England, he probably not cutting a top 10 world's greatest players.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 20, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »

legend 7

In any literature published outside of England, he probably not cutting a top 10 world's greatest players.

ok..go drink yuh manutd flavoured haterade

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 20, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »

legend 7
if i didn't know better i'd think you're english

frrom wikipedia:
In 1999 he was voted 11th, behind Marco van Basten, at the IFFHS European Player of the Century election and 16th, behind Lothar Matthäus, in the World Player of the Century election.[2] Pelé named him as one of the 125 best living footballers in his 2004 FIFA 100 list and Best was named 19th, behind Gerd Müller, at the UEFA Golden Jubilee Poll. In his native Northern Ireland the admiration for him is summed up by the local saying: "Maradona good; Pelé better; George Best."[3]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:19:00 PM by Arazi »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 20, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »

legend 7

ok..go drink yuh manutd flavoured haterade

not hating man.. just being objective.

you should try it now and then.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 20, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »

I should hope not. No individual actual wins a world cup..and you don't have to be great to shine in one. It's the greatest misconception (imo) that people use the world cup as a barometer for greatness..especially when it's all about getting a million different things right in 7 games every four years. Luck more than anything dictates whether the stars are aligned in a player's favor. I'd like to think people don't actually think Maradona was the greatest of his generation (and possibly greatest of all time) because he won a World Cup. You mean, if Germany happened to win that final, people would actually think of Diego differently? That would be sad and perhaps a sign of valuing hype over substance. If you look at it objectively the 86 World Cup final was actually the worst of Diego's 7 performances that WC. He played a major role in getting them to the final..but then you saw the true strength of Argentine team to win it in the game that mattered most.

As for C ronaldo. Who knows. I'd imagine, anything is possible when you have that kind of talent and potential at 23

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 20, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »

I should hope not. No individual actual wins a world cup..and you don't have to be great to shine in one. It's the greatest misconception (imo) that people use the world cup as a barometer for greatness..especially when it's all about getting a million different things right in 7 games every four years. Luck more than anything dictates whether the stars are aligned in a player's favor. I'd like to think people don't actually think Maradona was the greatest of his generation (and possibly greatest of all time) because he won a World Cup. You mean, if Germany happened to win that final, people would actually think of Diego differently? That would be sad and perhaps a sign of valuing hype over substance. If you look at it objectively the 86 World Cup final was actually the worst of Diego's 7 performances that WC. He played a major role in getting them to the final..but then you saw the true strength of Argentine team to win it in the game that mattered most.

As for C ronaldo. Who knows. I'd imagine, anything is possible when you have that kind of talent and potential at 23

So how do you come up with a best player then?

He have to win more than 1 world cup to be in these guys books.

If you cannot perform on the biggest stage then you cannot be the biggest player in the world. There is no way club form alone could propel you to greatness like those players mentioned. We lowering the bar for this guy. Yes he is a great player, but by no means in the equation to Pele or Maradonna (not even the real Ronaldo).
I believe that right now football struggling for a consistently great footballer (we EPL supporters), but having said that if Barcelona were to be transplanted to the EPL supporters will be asking Ronaldo who?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 20, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
 lol, more of Ferguson BS before he offload a player.
 Ronaldo ent half as good as Scholes or Giggs , 1 more season for him at Manu.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 20, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »
Cruyff real good...Latas too
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 20, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
he is "The world BEST"
so the ManBoo fans say

until he leaves ManBoo
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 20, 2008, 02:43:32 PM »
The minute he put on a Real Madrid uniform..Sir Alex would be singing a different tune...

p.s I used to hear that "greatest" talk with the other Ronaldo...look where that end up..
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 20, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
The minute he put on a Real Madrid uniform..Sir Alex would be singing a different tune...

p.s I used to hear that "greatest" talk with the other Ronaldo...look where that end up..

Don't understand this statement. Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima is the greatest player of his generation & will be considered as one of the greatest footballers of all time.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 20, 2008, 04:02:10 PM »

If you cannot perform on the biggest stage then you cannot be the biggest player in the world. There is no way club form alone could propel you to greatness like those players mentioned. We lowering the bar for this guy. Yes he is a great player, but by no means in the equation to Pele or Maradonna (not even the real Ronaldo).
I believe that right now football struggling for a consistently great footballer (we EPL supporters), but having said that if Barcelona were to be transplanted to the EPL supporters will be asking Ronaldo who?

Not sure anyone says that he IS in the same frame as Pele or Maradona. SAF was talking very plainly about his POTENTIAL which could go either way... no one is lowering the bar. Also if Barca transferred to the EPL, Ronaldo would still get his props. Conversely, would you say that if CR7 transferred to La Liga, people would say "Ronaldo who?"
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 20, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »
CR7 still have years to go.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 20, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »

Elan. In many ways I agree with you. I know that to the vast majority of football fans, winning the world cup is the epitome and to shine in the world cup is to 'prove' you're on a different level. I for one disagree. A world cup winner's medal is the greatest accomplishment for most on the international football stage but it is no barometer for level of talent, ability, or one's influence on the game at large. Winning the WC didn't make Diego one of the greatest players..Diego's ability and performance made it a great WC. His reputation should not be devalued if he never won a world cup, nor should it be enhanced. What if he had been injured in the semifinal and missed the final (where he was pretty anonymous by his standards anyway) and Argentina lost. Same player..same performance. He'd actually still be the great Maradona imo. As far as I'm concerened, he wrote his name among the all-time greatest before a ball was kicked in that 86 WC final. In fact, if you didn't watch any game other than that final, you'd find it hard to believe that was the greatest player on the planet at the time. It's what Diego did in those games that captured the imagination. That should answer your question how I judge great players. It's different for everyone, but that's my take.

The way I see it, back in the day the WC was most people's chance to see, read or hear about the biggest stars competing against each other. In those circumstances, I could understand why people put so much emphasis on WC performance. Today we get to see a player like C. Ronaldo play in the EPL, Champion's League, European Cup, European Cup qualifiers, World Cup, World Cup qualifiers and international friendlies. His greatness should no longer depend on his national team's ability to win a tournament of 7 games that comes once every 4 years. To me, he should be judged on his actual performance and influence on games. Logic would dictate that best players, play on best teams and help them win things. But to assume that it has to be the WC is kinda hype.

Which leads to my final point...about performing on the greatest stage..well...The world cup is the biggest stage because of it's inclusivity, the nature of national pride and patriotism, and mostly good old fashioned marketing. As far as actual level of football..in my humble opinion, the best club teams are probably better than the best national teams. Before people get bent out of shape...For me, the World Cup means a million times more than the UEFA C League, or the European Championships but NOT because of the quality of football on show. You could argue that World Cup football still carries with it an emotional levity that adds to level of difficulty....I could fully buy that. But it's still 7 games, once every 4 years. And you need your teamates, technical staff and a great deal of luck to win it. I think you can be absolutely phenomenal without actually winning it. ALSO..I do know it's sometimes hard to describe the intangibles..I too use no. of world cup goals, number of championships to describe the greatness of a player, but essentially as a short hand way of saying he was brilliant at a level of football that most value highly.

And before you take this as me saying C Ronaldo should be already considered as great as Pele and Maradona. Nope.it's not. In fact..go back to the last line of my previous post and you should never get that impression. Not even the best right now imo.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:35:14 PM by Filho »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 20, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

where did it end up? he is one of the greatest of all time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 20, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »
greatness come with some luck and longevity(few injuries). The man young. He has time on his side to prove us wrong or right. Some people jumping the gun on this gratness argument.

1]; } ?>