April 17, 2024, 07:06:48 PM

Author Topic: Gally says T&T football have too much bad mind....from Express  (Read 18732 times)

truetrini

Where was Russell Latapy?
By: Bc Pires (Express).
[/size]

Former Trinidad & Tobago striker and coach of the Strike Squad that just failed to qualify for the 1990 World Cup, Everald "Gally" Cummings talks freely about the Soca Warriors and the World Cup.

Q: Were you satisfied with the Soca Warriors' performance?
A: Satisfied to the point that we were not disgraced; but our way of playing, I was not satisfied with.

What would you have done differently?
A: I'd have put in more offence. World Cup is about showcasing your style of play but I don't think we were allowed to play our Trinbagonian way. We do have our own style of play, contrary to what a lot of people believe. I proved that in 1989.

But we were successful in drawing the first game v Sweden?
A: It's a great achievement to tie your first World Cup game; but I thought we should have played a little more football after. The Africans showed they're not afraid to match their skills with anybody. They looked like heroes.

1.3 million people want to know why Russell Latapy didn't play in the England game?
A: I would have played him. In the last 15 minutes, England was frustrated, you could have seen it. If we had put Latapy on before [English coach Sven-Goran] Erikkson substituted his own, Erikkson would have had to put on a defender, not an attacker. In a way, when Latapy is on the field, is a threat to Beenhakker.
The team is a better team when Latapy is on the field; we all know that, we all saw that! But Beenhakker wants that team to play defensive and Latapy is offensive; and because of Latapy's leadership qualities and his inspiration as a player and a person, he knows the team will go forward too much. So he has to keep it out! In other words [chuckling], Latapy has such a strong personality that Beenhakker is afraid of him.

It was a deliberate ploy to retain control by the coach?
A: That's my feeling! That's what I see!

But Latapy came on in the last game and we lost?
A: Because he came on when we were one-down! Latapy was the last substitution in the last game! He should have started.

He smokes 40 cigarettes a day, though, and doesn't have the lungs?
A: Rubbish! How much did Ronaldinho run in this tournament? And he's still the best player in the world. Didn't Latapy play the whole game against Guatemala? And we won? Stern John scored. Stern John, Dwight Yorke, are better players, the entire team is a better team when Latapy's on the field.
Latapy's experienced enough, whether he smokes cigarettes or not. If you let the ball do the work, you're not going to be tired. We coaches all see things differently but I think there times in games that were earmarked for him [like] the last 20 minutes.

But you were pleased with us getting to the World Cup?
A: Oh yeah. Since I left Fatima college I've dedicated myself to our football, nothing else. Some people do it part-time and halfway. If is one person who has been involved in football all my life, is Gally Cummings. I didn't go away and coach foreign teams, I stayed right here and worked with our boys for our football and it was a dream to see our team get to the World Cup; and it finally came true.
Sitting there in the stadium looking at the first game, you couldn't help but come to tears, seeing your boys performing for the whole world. The cultural contingent was also making us proud. It was like a Jouvert morning. I saw my country, for the first time in a long time, doing the thing I've always advocated: marriage of culture and sport.

We lost the football and won the party?
A: Reminds me of 1989 when we lost the game and won the country!

So do we become the next Costa Rica or Jamaica?
A: We qualify without a proper structure in place. If you had looked at England, you'd have seen [future England coach Steve] McLaren sitting down next to Erikkson. I've always advocated that, if you bring a foreigner here, have somebody [local] there who can carry on. And the right person, not just somebody' friend. We shortlist coaches very funny in this country. I don't understand who does it or how.
Somebody mightn't like BC Pires but the thing about it is, they must like what you can do for the country. Sometimes Beenhakker says to newspapers, "I'm only going to talk to you for two minutes". And nobody says anything. I know Lincoln Phillips has been trying to do a job but I can say it has been done before.
I was technical director on two occasions and had a proper structure in place from the Under-15s go right up to the national team. So there ain't nothing new that Lincoln is doing. We must focus on the national team. We don't want to end up like Jamaica. Costa Rica and those Latin countries have always had structures and that is why they always go to the World Cup. And they're all on the same page: one agenda. In Trinidad we have too much vindictiveness, politics and bickering interfering with the issue itself.

If you could make one change, what would it be?
A: I would change the philosophy of our football administration and its vindictiveness.

What stage of the World Cup produces the best games?
A: When teams get into the second round. During finals, you don't see the best games. Anybody could win, really. It has to do with which team scores the first goal, or what decision a referee might make. In the middle of the tournament is where you see the good football.

What can FIFA do to improve the quality of play from quarter-finals on?
A: Make sure that, before World Cup, players are rested properly. If you looked at Brazil, some of them looked very tired.

There's another question: what happened to Brazil this year?
Is not what happened to Brazil; is what happened to France! France had been playing a kind of lackadaisical, slow, boring kind of football but [against] Brazil, it was different. People say Brazil didn't play well against France but it was [more like] France didn't allow Brazil to play well. France have three [midfielders] of world standing: [Claude] Makelele, [Zinedine] Zidane and [Patrick] Vieira.
Those are six-footers! And you're trying to bring up little fellas like Kaka and Ronaldinho against them. Zidane, on a good day, is the best footballer you could see. France closed the middle with those players and forced Brazil to the sides, where they have their more aged players, Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

So who do you like for the final today, then?
A: Well, boy, to be honest, I always like Zidane and these guys how they play. But they have a team where things ain't bound to go right.
Because they focus on [Thierry] Henry in front alone. Whereas Italy have different people who could score goals and they play until the fat lady sings. I would say France has a better all-round team; but Italy have what it takes to win.

So you're hedging your bets?
A: [Nodding, smiling] I hedging.

Will we see penalty kicks to decide the game?
A: I think this one will be decided, maybe late in the game, but I don't feel we'll go to penalty kicks. I don't think penalty kicks is a nice way to lose a World Cup.

But there's no greater excitement for the viewer?
A: As a coach, I could tell you penalty kicks is nerve-wracking. Preparation and having the best players don't guarantee you success. England proved that! But I think this was one of the best World Cups I've seen. Being in Germany, I thought it was one of the most organised, with respect to security, to people having fun, representing their country in a free spirit. I was at the Fan Fest.
My wife, Roslyn Khan-Cummings, is the deputy PS of the Ministry of Culture and the chef de mission of the cultural contingent. I was there through Mykon Travel Ltd and I saw for myself. I travel in the buses with the Strike Squad and the '73 team-and when I mention those players, I feel very sad. I don't think they were treated properly. I really thought we, the '73 and '89 squads, would have gotten the opportunity to visit our Soca Warriors and wish them all the best in Germany but that wasn't to be.

Was that bad organisation or bad mind?
A: It wasn't badly organised at all. I wouldn't use, "bad mind", I would use [pauses, shrugs shoulders] actually, yeah, it was bad mind in truth because it started from here. If a [private] company [Mykon Travel Ltd] have to take you there and your football association don't' really care, it's a bad thing for the youngsters to see. I'm a living example of that. You hear all kinds of names calling in football and you don't hear mine, and I have done more than most.
I've given my life to the country and others have given theirs abroad-and they come back and hold big jobs and I'm out only because I have an opinion of my own, and it appears you can't have that these days. People in this country seem to always go for people they can control. I've seen foreign coaches come here when they want, make all the money, go on vacation when they want-and be treated like kings.
The kind of way we treat our own has to change. I proved myself. I don't think anybody did the kind of job I did with the kind of resources I had in '89. I've done enough to be holding an office. I'm not begging for anything; I deserve it!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:48:35 AM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gally says T&T football have too much bad mind....from Express
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:46:37 PM »
Gally comment make me feel to piss..steeeps
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 11:13:49 PM »
I don't know what it is about Gally but while you read you can't help but think he bitter about everything. 
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »
Rise up my people....rise up!

Talk yuh talk Gally you isah boss. Dem cyar stop yuh atall....

They will never want yuh in dey because yuh talk yuh mind . TTFF and dem jes wa to be 'Massa' and doh wa the slaves to rise up.

Speak yuh mind pardnah speak yuh mind.

Hold it dong !
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:34:35 PM »
de part about Beenie keeping Latapy out the England game doh make any sense. what purpose it serving for the coach to sabotage the team?

trinis love ah conspiracy theory...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 11:53:38 PM »
Maradona was allowed to visit Argentina during the Cup, so maybe a visit from the '73 and '89 teams would have been a good gesture.  Even if it were for a short time.  But then, there is a lot of bitterness  that is emanating from these groups, for various reasons. 

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:10:24 AM »
Gally had some good poits, his point of playing Latas in the last 15 mins against England makes sense but it easy to say that after the fact.  However, he is very critical of Leo when he himself used to preach shit about latas and yorke cant play at the same time..how they play the same way...up to this day i cant see where latas and yorke are the same type of players.  It appears that he wants the job of national coach, i doh blame de man for 2 reasons..he had some success in the past and every coach has the ambition of coaching the national team.  But i think he going about it the wrong way by criticising Beenhakker..he should talk about what he is capable of doing to be successful and not what Leo did wrong..he sounding like Hugo Sanchez.  In the meantime he needs to caoch a lil local club or ah national youth team and demonstrate he could still handle his business...coaching Carapichaima Snr Comp doh cut it.

Offline skatetackle

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 01:06:27 AM »
Sounds like sour grapes, he time come and gone like all the other so called "experts" and critics.  :)  They all have the same gripes. He talk about all the foreign coaches and the people who leave TnT, the players leave TnT too, but they all come together for the common cause though when their number is called. Latapy will most likely the next local based coach and surely didn't mind sitting out his time in Germany, and if Benhakker was scared of opening the defence with Latas on it's was only in the best interest of conceding additional goals.
As a fan I would agree that Latas should have been on the field but who am I to say. Technically there are arguments which could be made both ways but I'm sure an open debate could settle this.... Leo vs Gally  :devil:

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 01:45:23 AM »

gally hull yuh ass
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 01:47:29 AM by marcus »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 02:06:52 AM »
40 cigs a day huh ? That's two packs (I think) a day.......Latapy doesn't smoke that much, at least I hope not.

Kaka & Ronaldinho eh little - I've seen them close up...Gally eh know what he talkin' bout.

.....and yeah he sound a little bitter
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:34:58 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 03:02:33 AM »
Gally real bitter for real, Angustura could bottle his sweat and sell it.

Its hard to take the few points he does have serious when his opinion is laced with such Venom.  He doh like Leo and Lincoln Phillips at all.  Is one thing if the men in the positions doing a bad job, then you could make a case for having the job, but both the coach and the TD are doing good work.
What is Gallys current occupation, what he doing right now to say he should be TD or head coach, or does he think he deserve it based on past performance?
Somebody tell gally yuh do big up yourself by putting down the next man, even I think Latas should have played the last 20mins of each game, but to say he fraid of Latas personality that is why he did not play him...come on man!
I would like an explanation of why he did not play (defensive liability is not good enough) but being afraid of his persoanlity is rubbish.
The more I read that article the more Gally sound like Al Bundy "I scored 4 touch downs in 1989"

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 03:03:18 AM »
altho i agree with him regarding more playing time for latas during the WC, if we opened up our game to play more offense instead of defense, we wouldve been conceding goals left and right.
Hart for president

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 05:54:16 AM »

gally hull yuh ass

in truth ... sour grapes ...
Snake in de balliser

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 06:36:01 AM »
de part about Beenie keeping Latapy out the England game doh make any sense. what purpose it serving for the coach to sabotage the team?

I totally disagree with you,I'll tell you why,gally said it right in the last 20mins of the game england was fustrated,spent,bringing on latas would've stalled erickson plans of bringing on a forward,because of latas attacking capabilities,enoug said talk done wrong move on beenies part and I agree with gally on this one.............peace.   

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 06:44:38 AM »
Easy for Gally to speak when he is not under stress of the job. eg: "Latapy and Yorke can't play together" What happen to that Gally?

Anyway he made some very good points and yes Gally should be involved in T&T Football somewhere

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
  • There is only ONE number 7. And its worn in Trini
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 06:47:35 AM »
That interview with Gally shows this mans SORE ATTITUDE. And he knows that on his best day with angels in the heavens and demons from hell at his side, he as coach could NEVER make it to the World Cup, EVER EVER. from this interview you can see He has too much PRIDE in himself...FIRST problem. Typical typical attitude. TALK dont get you to world cup Gally. SO the next best thing to do is to speak in hind sight. You seeing allot of these kinda talkers on the forums these days, woulda coulda shoulda, fox and the grapes. loosers...all of them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:49:48 AM by shivadee »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 07:17:20 AM »
This man sound like he swallow a bitter pill dry dry without water and it stick somewhere in he gullet.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

MickeyRat

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »
Stupss.......

Didn't we have this discussion last week?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 07:25:23 AM »
Gally had some good poits, his point of playing Latas in the last 15 mins against England makes sense but it easy to say that after the fact.  However, he is very critical of Leo when he himself used to preach shit about latas and yorke cant play at the same time..how they play the same way...up to this day i cant see where latas and yorke are the same type of players.  It appears that he wants the job of national coach, i doh blame de man for 2 reasons..he had some success in the past and every coach has the ambition of coaching the national team.  But i think he going about it the wrong way by criticising Beenhakker..he should talk about what he is capable of doing to be successful and not what Leo did wrong..he sounding like Hugo Sanchez.  In the meantime he needs to caoch a lil local club or ah national youth team and demonstrate he could still handle his business...coaching doh cut it.

how did Carapichaima Snr Comp do by the way?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 07:36:41 AM »
Gally,
If perchance you're reading this, permit me to say my two cents.

Every Trinbagonion is PROUD of the '73 AND '89 teams. No one and nothing can erase the sentiments and memories those two teams have creared. No one doubts your great love and committment to the local game and its unique kaisoca Soccer. However, your approach to the administration (even if you feel you have legitimate reason for agnst) is counter productive, and actually leaves a bad example for others to follow. There is too much "I" in your language. Lincoln is successful partly because he seems to know how to work with others (who may somtimes be antagonistic toward him). Any, be it Trinidad or anywhere in the world, groun you work with will pose ego problems and pettiness issues. You just need to put the game before yourself.

Just my two cents.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 07:39:31 AM »
pettyness galore
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »
lol, hmm, he does sound alot like sour grapes in truth. he might have a few good points about Latas there, but, as some people said before, it is easy to say those things in hindsight and especially so when you weren't the coach incharge. It probably would have been nice for the 72 & 89 teams to have visited with the current team, but I wonder if anyone even bothered to make the necessary arrangements for that to happen, also we have to consider if Beenhakker would have allowed it, given that he wouldn't know those players and probably wouldn't have wanted his men around people with negative vibes (assuming that the members of those teams were a little jelous of not having the opportunity to play in the world cup themselves).

There's really alot of things to consider there before making statements like what Gally made about the coach etc.
Luv Kat

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 07:52:19 AM »
I find Gally make good points, maybe "not all", but "some" was good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:53:29 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 07:57:18 AM »
Gally may have a legitimate beef.

What is he supposed to do if he is deliberately overlooked for appointments because of the bad relationship he has with people in charge?
Seriously...what else can he do but go to the public.  I don't think he needs to tear down the coach but I suppose once he gone public he will say what he feel?

I don't like how he throwing words for Lincoln as if he is an adversary.  Would he refuse a position as U-23 coach?

If one of the problems people have with him is that he is difficult to work with, then he is just reinforcing that now with the way he is cutting down people for no good reason...NONE...there is no good reason for doing it.  I find it pointless to criticize Leo at this point after the fact.  U take the good with the bad....fact is if we followed someone else's game plan or approach we probably wouldn't have been there in the first place.

My suggestion is to focus his criticism to those that deserve it in the administration but do not unfairly attack your FELLOW coaches....yes...Leo is your fellow coach...doesn't matter if he from foreign.  And you should consider people who go abroad to work then come back bring experience which may have been their intention in the first place so don't be foolish and say I was here longer than you!!

It would be great to see a SW.net interview with Gally that is frank and honest and extensively addresses attitudes and the real problems we face.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 08:01:39 AM »
I know the man personally,because he coached me at a time when college football in trini was boss,he was always involved in every aspect of the game,so I ask of all don't judge because you may disagree with him for taking a stance on what he saw as the teams flaws on a coaching level,he would be doing an injustice to himself if he did,nt sound off at some point,if anyone is qualified to do it,is gally he earns that right.

I would like guys on this site to think for second,if no one objected or expressed how they feel it would'nt be a democracy and at the end of the day don't matter what you do or say you'll be criticized for doing it anyway.      

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »
This a straight case of Gally Cummings having a problem with Lincoln Phillips!!

I know Lincoln Phillips has been trying to do a job but I can say it has been done before.
I was technical director on two occasions and had a proper structure in place from the Under-15s go right up to the national team. So there ain't nothing new that Lincoln is doing

I've given my life to the country and others have given theirs abroad-and they come back and hold big jobs and I'm out only because I have an opinion of my own, and it appears you can't have that these days.

His comments are filled with so much venom, its not funny!!

altho i agree with him regarding more playing time for latas during the WC, if we opened up our game to play more offense instead of defense, we wouldve been conceding goals left and right.

this is so true supporter!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 08:24:17 AM »

I totally disagree with you,I'll tell you why,gally said it right in the last 20mins of the game england was fustrated,spent,bringing on latas would've stalled erickson plans of bringing on a forward,because of latas attacking capabilities,enoug said talk done wrong move on beenies part and I agree with gally on this one.............peace.   

Is allright to look back and criiticize.  Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.  Ask Gally why he let the US beat TT in 1989.  Was it bad coaching?  Why didn't he do this or that?  Blame him!  (Ah guess we did that)  But did he like it?  Did he think that was  appropriate?  What goes around comes around.  Why would you mess with a team or change the philosophy that holding England for 83 minutes?  Beenehaker gamble and he loss.  He is in place to make strategic opinions on coaching.  We tried - for the first time, I mght add -  and did creditably. Tough luck but let's stop the personal attacks and accusing this person of bad mind and this group of vindictiveness etc, etc.  Nobody truly thought we could contain England for that long.  In the end we had a good experience and we must build on it.  But with his attitude of sour grapes, he surely is not the appropriate person to lead the team to 2010.  Talk about bad mind and vindictiveness.  That is Gally Cummings!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 08:29:57 AM »
I know the man personally,because he coached me at a time when college football in trini was boss,he was always involved in every aspect of the game,so I ask of all don't judge because you may disagree with him for taking a stance on what he saw as the teams flaws on a coaching level,he would be doing an injustice to himself if he did,nt sound off at some point,if anyone is qualified to do it,is gally he earns that right.

I would like guys on this site to think for second,if no one objected or expressed how they feel it would'nt be a democracy and at the end of the day don't matter what you do or say you'll be criticized for doing it anyway.      

Pinto ... don't try to shroud Gally's overtly negative and destructive points in a democracy argument ... he has seen an opportunity where he can stake a personal claim ... in self intrest ... b/c of all the local coaches who could do anything with a team it will be him ... he's a good coach ... but he should not discredit the team and coach for what they have achieved ... to make himself a better candidate he should be suggesting ways to improve and build a solid foundation for TnT football.  his approach is entirely wrong at this point ... unless the powers that be swallow their pride for the sake of our country we would be waiting another 40 years or more for this opportunity to come again.
Snake in de balliser

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 08:36:49 AM »

Kappy. . . .I wit yuh on this one.

wrong approach. . .
Pinto ... don't try to shroud Gally's overtly negative and destructive points in a democracy argument ... he has seen an opportunity where he can stake a personal claim ... in self intrest ... b/c of all the local coaches who could do anything with a team it will be him ... he's a good coach ... but he should not discredit the team and coach for what they have achieved ... to make himself a better candidate he should be suggesting ways to improve and build a solid foundation for TnT football.  his approach is entirely wrong at this point ... unless the powers that be swallow their pride for the sake of our country we would be waiting another 40 years or more for this opportunity to come again.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 08:46:45 AM »
The man sounds like an egotist... He is so desperate for recognition and for the post itself...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

1]; } ?>