April 28, 2024, 08:30:26 PM

Author Topic: Zidane short-listed for Golden Ball award  (Read 6652 times)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Zidane short-listed for Golden Ball award
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »

BERLIN, July 6 (Reuters) - France playmaker Zinedine Zidane, who will end his glorious career in the World Cup final against Italy on Sunday, has been short-listed for the prestigious FIFA Golden Ball award.

The winner of the prize, which is given to the most valuable player in the 32-team tournament, will be announced on Monday.

The nominations were dominated by Italy and France with hosts Germany earning two spots and Portugal one.

Four Italians were nominated by FIFA's Technical Study Group - keeper Gianluigi Buffon, central defender Fabio Cannavaro, midfielder Andrea Pirlo and fullback Gianluca Zambrotta.

France, who face Italy at the Olympiastadion, had three players short-listed - Zinedine Zidane, striker Thierry Henry and midfielder Patrick Vieira.

Germany's playmaker Michael Ballack and striker Miroslav Klose were also selected along with midfielder Maniche of Portugal, who play the hosts in Saturday's third-place match.

OLDER PLAYERS

'It's going to be difficult to pick a winner this time,' Franz Beckenbauer, Germany's organising committee president, said after the nominations were announced.

'The one thing that can be said is this is the first time there are not any new names. I'd say one of the older players... will take it -- I liked Henry and Zidane and Figo, even though he isn't on the list.'

The winner will be picked by FIFA accredited journalists and announced the day after the final at the end of the month-long tournament that began with 32 teams on June 9.

In 2002, Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn won the Golden Ball, an honour presented six times since 1982.

Italy's Paolo Rossi won the first award before it went to Argentina's Diego Maradona (1986), Italy's Salvatore Schillaci (1990) and Brazilians Romario (1994) and Ronaldo (1998).

The nominations are: Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Maniche (Portugal), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Thierry Henry (France), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Patrick Vieira (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Zinedine Zidane (France)

Kingman
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:20:14 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline voodoofoo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane short-listed for Golden Ball award
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:16:30 AM »
For me it is Zidane or Klose... but I think Zidane will get it because he in de final...

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:19:51 AM »
FRANCEEEEEEE...............Zidaneeeeeeeee........... :applause: :applause: :applause:
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

truetrini

The MLS needs to try and lure Zizou
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 02:04:38 PM »
dat will do wonders for the league in de USA

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The MLS needs to try and lure Zizou
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »
I dunno about wonders, but it would be a plus.....I don't think any one player by himself could have that huge an effect on an entire league........would be great for the fans.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 02:32:19 PM »
So nobody cyah ride out in the sunset anymore? Men must get ole an quale up in da shit league called MLS.
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »
So nobody cyah ride out in the sunset anymore? Men must get ole an quale up in da shit league called MLS.

hahahaha

take win boss...meh belly hurting meh now

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
Zidane getting ZERO..

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »
Zidane not getting it ...
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »
cannavaro

maybe buffon, but i would like to see a defender get it
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 04:29:59 PM »
he get the golden boot (out) already...

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 04:30:36 PM »
i think guttosso ( cant spell it ) has done real well he shud have been up ther

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 04:40:55 PM »
he get the golden boot (out) already...

:rotfl:  ;D  :beermug:  :rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Zidane wins Golden Ball! Wha de A*s is dis?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 03:58:51 AM »
Forget the headbutt...Cannavaro was the player of the tournament in my opinion  ???

From BBC

Zinedine Zidane won the Golden Ball award for the World Cup's best player, despite being dismissed for headbutting Marco Materazzi in the final.
France captain Zidane polled 2012 points in the vote by journalists at half-time during Sunday's match.

The midfielder, 34, beat Italians Fabio Cannavaro (1977 points) and Andrea Pirlo (715 points) in the ballot.

He scored a penalty early on in the final but was red-carded in extra time as France went on to lose on penalties.

The former international player of the year and 1998 World Cup winner announced last month that he was retiring from football after the tournament.

On Sunday, he put France ahead from the spot in the opening minutes but was sent off after slamming his head into Materazzi's chest during the tense second period of overtime, which ended 1-1.

It was to be his last act as a professional player and, with the French missing his prowess in the ensuing penalty shootout, Italy went on to claim the World Cup title.

Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn won the Golden Ball in 2002, while other previous winners include Brazilians Ronaldo (1998) and Romario ('94), Italy's Salvatore Schillaci ('90) and Argentine great Diego Maradona.

Germany striker Miroslav Klose was the Golden Shoe winner for the tournament's leading scorer with five goals.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane wins Golden Ball! Wha de A*s is dis?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 04:24:30 AM »
Cannavaro get tief bad bad bad, but we always knew they had a bias against defenders for this kind of thing...

What i want to know is how come Ronaldo 'antics' play against him getting young player of the tournament and Zidane's own didn't stop him from getting golden ball...

:bs:

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 06:48:51 AM »
HAIL ZIZOU...................... :beermug:

I eh care nuff man bashing u for youTemporary Insanity.............And this award is voted on by sports journalist and they gaveit to Zizou before the head butt incident....If I hadatiemmachine I woulda roll bac the clock yesterday and make them replay that game :)

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 06:48:59 AM »
Zidane wins Golden Ball award.

Zizou tops poll
By TERRY LAND

ZINEDINE ZIDANE has been awarded the Golden Ball as the best player at the World Cup.

The Frenchman has been nominated despite his sending-off in the final last night.

Playing in his final match before retirement Zidane was dismissed in extra time for headbutting Italy’s Marco Materazzi.

The prize was decided by media votes, cast before Zidane was
shown the red card.

Zidane received 2,012, Italian captain Fabio Cannavaro finished second (1,977) and his team mate Andrea Pirlo was third (715).

Brazil and Spain shared the fair play award.

Zidane was disappointing in France’s opening games and was suspended for their crucial final group match against Togo.

But he returned to give match-winning performances against Spain, Brazil and Portugal before his final brainstorm.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Disgraced Zidane wins World Cup Golden Ball
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 07:27:08 AM »

BERLIN, July 10 (Reuters) - France captain Zinedine Zidane won the FIFA Golden Ball award as the outstanding player of the World Cup despite being sent off in their final penalties shootout defeat by Italy on Sunday.

The prize was decided by media votes, cast before Zidane was shown the red card. Zidane received 2,012, Italian captain Fabio Cannavaro finished second (1,977) and his team mate Andrea Pirlo was third (715).

Brazil and Spain shared the fair play award.

Zidane's mark on the 18th World Cup finals will never be forgotten - for good and bad reasons.

His successful seventh minute penalty for France against Italy meant he became the fourth player to score three goals in the history of the showpiece final.

But his sending off in the 111th minute meant he also became only the fourth player to be sent off in a World Cup final.

Zidane's early spot kick added to the two headed goals the French playmaker scored in the 3-0 win over Brazil in the 1998 final on home soil in Paris.

Zidane also scored in France's second-round 3-1 victory over Spain and he netted from the penalty spot in their 1-0 semi-final victory over Portugal.

To cap a vintage World Cup - until the final itself - Zidane, 34, set up Thierry Henry's winner in the 1-0 victory over champions Brazil in the quarter-finals.

The final was Zidane's last competitive match.

Other Fifa awards from the World Cup finals:

Golden Shoe (top scorer): Miroslav Klose (Germany)

Most Entertaining Team: Portugal

Best Goalkeeper: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)

Best Young Player: Lukas Podolski (Germany)

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Disgraced Zidane wins World Cup Golden Ball
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 07:31:13 AM »
Zizou is the master always an forever. thanks for a great World Cup Zinedine we hope Matarazzi gets what he deserved A  GOOD KICK IN THE ASS!!

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Disgraced Zidane wins World Cup Golden Ball
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 07:38:41 AM »

Other Fifa awards from the World Cup finals:

Golden Shoe (top scorer): Miroslav Klose (Germany)

Best Goalkeeper: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)

Best Young Player: Lukas Podolski (Germany)

Kingman

I agree with all dem awards except for the

I thought Ghana should of gotten it  ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 07:46:41 AM »
Sorry to say, but Zidane didnt' deserve it. With the kinda emphasis that FIFA puts on fair play, there is no way he should have won. He received two yellows and a red card. He sat out a game due to suspension, and was ejected from the final for the kind of offense that usually warrants a two game suspension. If, as implied previously, C. Ronaldo's behaviour against England jeopardized his chances of winning best young player, then the whole system is hypocritical....

Zidane's play this World Cup was not even consistently outstanding.........

The votes were probably tallied before the final.

Congrats to him anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 07:51:46 AM by kicker »

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 07:48:17 AM »
Congratulations to Zidane. He deserves it.

Zidane is one of the great players of the modern era. He is France's talisman. The man gave it his all at this World Cup especially in that game against Brazil. He will be missed.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 10:29:31 AM »
Congrats to Zidane. Sad to see him leave the game

Offline rowdy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »
@kicker:

The prize was decided by media votes, cast before Zidane was shown the red card.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:33:43 AM by rowdy »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 11:50:48 AM »
@kicker:

The prize was decided by media votes, cast before Zidane was shown the red card.

yeah thanks for the heads up. I figured as much.....I posted my opinion on him winning before I read the article

cheers :beermug:

truetrini

Zidane wins World Cup's best player award
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 09:51:45 PM »
Zidane wins World Cup's best player award
Story Tools:       
  Print    Email    Blog This   
Associated Press 

BERLIN (AP) - France captain Zinedine Zidane, sent off for headbutting Marco Materazzi late in Sunday's World Cup final loss to Italy, won the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

Zidane polled 2012 points in the vote by journalists covering the tournament, beating Italians Fabio Cannavaro (1977 points) and Andrea Pirlo (715 points) in the ballot.

Zidane, who put France ahead with a penalty kick in the opening minutes, was given a red card after slamming his head into Materazzi's chest during the tense second period of extra time.

It was his last act as a professional player and one that was widely criticized in France and abroad.

With the score locked 1-1 after 120 minutes the French missed Zidane's prowess in the penalty shootout, which Italy calmly won 5-3 to collect its fourth World Cup title.

Zidane, 34, a former international player of the year and 1998 World Cup champion, announced last month that he was retiring from soccer after the tournament.

He wasn't particularly outstanding in France's opening draws with Switzerland and South Korea and missed the last group match against Togo due to suspension. But Zidane produced some vintage performances in the wins over Spain, Brazil and Portugal in the knockout phase.

Photo gallery ...
World Cup final

liver Hinz | Jamie Trecker
Nick Webster | Bobby McMahon

Voting for the 2006 Golden Ball closed at midnight Sunday. In previous tournaments, the ballot has closed at halftime in the final and the winner announced soon after the match.

Italian captain Cannavaro could be considered unlucky in the voting.

He led an Italian defense that conceded only two goals in the tournament: an own goal against the United States and Zidane's penalty.

The final was his 100th cap for Italy.

"I got my award, that's it right there," Cannavaro said, gesturing toward the World Cup trophy sitting on the table in front of him. "I'm extremely pleased with what I have."

With fellow central defender Alessandro Nesta injured, Cannavaro played every minute of Italy's seven games.

Many pundits tipped Cannavaro as the winner, including 1986 winner Diego Maradona.

"Fabio Cannavaro was the best player of this World Cup," the Argentine great said. "Yes, it was a tournament without one dominant player, but Fabio was huge."

Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn won the Golden Ball in 2002. Other previous winners were Brazilians Ronaldo (1998) and Romario ('94) and Italy's Salvatore Schillaci ('90).

Germany striker Miroslav Klose was the Golden Shoe winner for the tournament's leading scorer. He won with five goals. Ronaldo won the award in 2002 with eight goals.

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane wins World Cup's best player award
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »
That was nice T-no- prisoners i enjoyed that,i would say he well desverd it...

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 01:17:02 AM »
This is ah shit decision, and i say this with no reference to the head butt!!

Zidane was nowhere to be seen in the opening rounds!

Cannavaro was a boss throughout the tournament and deserved this award.  Zidane is a big player, but he did not deserve it.

FIRE for de people who make this decision!!

ah cyar love this!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »
de people who make this decision!!

lemmings again...

ah well at least I can't blame FIFA for this one

1]; } ?>