April 25, 2024, 05:03:33 AM

Author Topic: Stanford 20 / 20 Thread  (Read 7612 times)

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:28:11 AM by Tallman »
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stanford 20 / 20 Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
any links to live audio for this tournament?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:03:44 PM »
y isnt bravo playing?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »
y isnt bravo playing?

he gone to play wit Kent in the English County Championship...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:10:18 PM »
yeah gil thanks.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:02:38 AM »
hey guys,
just checked into this topic, and most of the threads seem to be on the 20/20 games. Have you seen any of them? I tried to look on- you know me- "any sports' supporter - but this game is (steups) hate to say it - boring no $#@$  - who are these guys playing? too many interviews- seeems to be a lot of talking to people like coaches (who??) people like Viv and Andy just giving pips to Stanford - like he needs a cheering section !! sorry, so far the games are not inspiring me to give my time. maybe when T & T play I'll try harder -
question tho' - is this trying to replace the Carib cup games? why 20 overs instead of 50? I think this is an attempt to bring the game into TV land - an hour long show - I just don't think this can increase the popularity of the game. the WI team is suffering from lack of concentration skills as it is - will just make it worse.

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »
hey guys,
just checked into this topic, and most of the threads seem to be on the 20/20 games. Have you seen any of them? I tried to look on- you know me- "any sports' supporter - but this game is (steups) hate to say it - boring no $#@$  - who are these guys playing? too many interviews- seeems to be a lot of talking to people like coaches (who??) people like Viv and Andy just giving pips to Stanford - like he needs a cheering section !! sorry, so far the games are not inspiring me to give my time. maybe when T & T play I'll try harder -
question tho' - is this trying to replace the Carib cup games? why 20 overs instead of 50? I think this is an attempt to bring the game into TV land - an hour long show - I just don't think this can increase the popularity of the game. the WI team is suffering from lack of concentration skills as it is - will just make it worse.

The 20 20  is an attempt to enhance the excitement level of the sport and generate interest.. its not to replace any of the establised formats ( One dayers and test matches )

Shorter games, large prize monies, more attendances,.. i think thats the plan,

I dont thing Stanford and the WICB are seeing Eye to eye on this atal tho .. I my self am not certain on whats happening with that synerfy.. BUTTT, I think its a good step in the right direction to increase the excitement level.!

T&T plays on the 25th

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
unfortunately tho' I don't find the games exciting at all ..at all.. at all
 >:(

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
unfortunately tho' I don't find the games exciting at all ..at all.. at all
 >:(

Thats cause T&T en play yet  ;D

I say T&T and the Old men in the finals

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
I think we are suffering the problem which teams in South Africa, Australia and England had in their first seasons. They believed that it was necessary to try to hit every ball for six or four and this led to a lot of small totals. Now, these teams score two hundred plus in this format. The game is now in its third season in South Africa and England.

It will take us a little time to develop the right strategies and tactics and adjust to this format.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 04:20:58 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: @ Nevis Killing St.Kitts

Who liked Kierian Powell's performance? Only 16
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:23:21 PM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 11:57:48 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: @ Nevis Killing St.Kitts

Who liked Kierian Powell's performance? Only 16

I saw that one shot and his whole innings... if he really has the mind to combine with that talent.... then he can easily be the next Brian Lara

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 12:36:11 AM »
He have de right last name...now unlike pow pow he must learn to bat for a day.

MickeyRat

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 05:15:51 AM »
Wha Vibes!

Just a quick hello.  I understand T&T won last night, great stuff.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 08:03:16 AM »
Shaky start notwithstanding, I think 20/20 is the future of cricket.
No It won't replace the other forms of the game, but not everyone has 5 days to watch a test, or all day for a 1 dayer either.
This short form, lots of runs, and a decent duration is where the money will be.

I'm actually surprised that the WICB didn't look into it first as a way of increasing thier revenue. They get pips now.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 11:19:53 AM »
Stanford success highlights WICB's woes

Tony Cozier

July 23, 2006

Allen Stanford: providing a model in organisation, player and public relations, and not least, accountability for the WICB and its regional affiliates to follow © Joseph Jones
The contrast could not be more stark, the coincidence more ironic.

In the same week that its auditors reported to the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) that its accumulated debt had reached US$34.9 million, rendering it effectively bankrupt, the richest tournament the game has ever known, anywhere, and involving all the territories under its jurisdiction, was in full triumphant swing, not five miles away from where it has its headquarters.

While the WICB has remained solvent only through money borrowed against the expected, but not guaranteed, windfall from its hosting of next year's World Cup, Allen Stanford, the Texan tycoon who has based part of his global financial operations in Antigua for more than two decades, has been delighting daily in the success of the 20/20 Tournament he conceived and financed with an amount that would instantly erase the WICB's liabilities.

There has been widespread scepticism since Stanford launched his project last October, promising US$28 million in prize money and infrastructural investment in West Indies cricket and proclaiming that his "vision for the Stanford 20/20 Tournament is that it will be a catalyst for a resurgence of the love for the game, that it will signal a return to the glory days".

The initial response was typical. The most frequent misgivings surrounded the motives of an American billionaire with a controversial background in Antigua - and white to boot - pouring so much cash into a game that has been a West Indian passion even longer than baseball has been America's.

Even if he really was convinced his money was the magic wand to reverse the prolonged decline in the fortunes of West Indies cricket, surely his choice of a glorified form of tip-and-run betrayed his naivety. Although he employed 14 of the greatest West Indies players as his board of directors and dubbed them "legends", Stanford himself realised the attitude was inevitable.

"They'll be asking who's this rich Texan coming to take over our sport?" he mused at the time. He won't, of course, but against the almost daily evidence of the WICB's continuing mismanagement and the squandermania that has contributed to its parlous financial position, the idea is not so preposterous.

Had the WICB done its job, a Stanford 20/20 would have been redundant. Had it properly utilised its sizeable sponsorships from Sky TV, Cable & Wireless and now Digicel, it would not have had to close its academy, slash its first-class tournament in half and ponder its future.

Apart from the financial, Stanford is providing a model in organisation, player and public relations, and not least, accountability for the WICB and its regional affiliates to follow. He has assigned each of his directors to the 19 territories involved in the tournament and charged them with ensuring that an operating expenditure summary is submitted for the US$100 000 given to upgrade facilities, training and coaching. Each must also account for the further US$15 000 a month to be used for maintenance and salaries.

These are significant sums - and not simply for the smaller islands. They have been widely welcomed, and with a few exceptions (Barbados reportedly among them), already put to use.

Yet, as was revealed in the Enoch Lewis report on WICB spending a few months back, such allocations have tended to be consumed by "administrative costs" such as first-class air travel, five-star hotels, international telephone calls, and "third party fees and meetings".

There is hardly a West Indian cricketer who could pick out WICB president Ken Gordon or vice-president Val Banks in an identity parade. It may upset some but, as any politician knows, it makes a world of difference
Wherever else Stanford's money is bound, the showpiece is the 20/20 Tournament itself. It is the first of its kind in the West Indies, so he was drifting into virgin waters. The unprecedented prize money (US$1 million to the champions, US$500 000 to the runners-up, the multiple thousands for Man of the Match and Play of the Match) were enticing enough to create interest, but it was impossible to know how the new format would be accepted by a public weaned primarily in the traditional game.

As in England and South Africa, where such tournaments have been going for three seasons, the concentrated action, the matches under lights, the colourful outfits, the music, the razzmatazz have all attracted a new clientele.

The crowds at the cricket ground Stanford has purpose-built in the midst of his complex of offices, restaurants and gym-club, adjacent to the VC Bird International Airport, have grown every night to beyond the 4 000 capacity. On Wednesday and Friday, the gates had to be closed. The majority have been women, teenagers and children, and they have reflected Antigua's strong mix of Caribbean people.

On Friday night, in their team's first matches, Guyanese and Jamaicans, waving their flags, wearing the colours and shouting their support, clearly outnumbered locals. The noise will be heard in Kingston and Georgetown when the teams meet in the quarter-final on Friday night. The cricket in the first two weeks of the tournament, mostly involving the smaller, least experienced teams, has been predictably sub-standard, especially the batting. But this was a rare occasion for firemen, taxi drivers, postmen, customs officers and the like, whose cricket is confined to weekend club matches, to show off their talents in televised matches before bigger attendances than they have ever known. Whether they were in their 40s, as many were, or in their teens, as five from Anguilla were, whether they were 300 pounds or 100, their enthusiasm and energy was boundless and the feature of the contests.

And a few youngsters have attracted attention. No talent was more instantly recognisable than that of Keiron Powell, a tall, slim 16-year-old left-hander from Nevis, who pulled the first ball he faced effortlessly for six and then reeled off two exquisite cover drives that had the legends making quick mental notes.

If there is a brash American touch to Stanford's omnipresent involvement - shaking hands with every player, hugging the winners, joining in each team photo-shoot, presenting every cheque, mingling in the stand with admirers - everyone knows who he is, and who is behind the tournament.

There is hardly a West Indian cricketer who could pick out WICB president Ken Gordon or vice-president Val Banks in an identity parade. It may upset some but, as any politician knows, it makes a world of difference.

source - www.cricinfo.com
Back in Trini...

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 06:55:01 AM »
I personally find this tournament is one of the best things to happen to cricket in a while.. Long live 20 / 20

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 08:22:20 PM »
Ah doh know if anyone posted this link yet, but video coverage is here:

http://www.ab.gov.ag/gov_v2/index.php

Go to the side menu and click on ABS TV.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
I think we were all pretty sure we would take it home in the end.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 08:32:03 PM »
Errrrrrrrrr

What Was That?!?!?!?!?!

Big Head Mentality Will Eventually Kick You In The Face
unlucky TNT but
Congrats To Guyana

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »
aghhhhhhh

Well done Guyana...

But weeey , that is cricket...
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »
aghhhhhhh

Well done Guyana...

It was a great game wasnt it. Powell should get a call up I believe.

Dem last two overs were hot.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »
aghhhhhhh

Well done Guyana...

I jes vex about dat over where Dillon concede 5 leg byes and drop ah return ketch. Steups. But I eh go lie, ah like dem nail biting finishes.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »
aghhhhhhh

Well done Guyana...

I jes vex about dat over where Dillon concede 5 leg byes and drop ah return ketch. Steups. But I eh go lie, ah like dem nail biting finishes.
I think everyone does boy. LOL you could feel the heat Ganga & Sarwan got in a little arguement.

Sarwan, a true captain stepped up to the plate when he was needed.

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 11:31:04 PM »
aghhhhhhh

Well done Guyana...

I think everyone does boy. LOL you could feel the heat Ganga & Sarwan got in a little arguement.

Sarwan, a true captain stepped up to the plate when he was needed.

Man I got so pissed off in the end with them dam free hits and leg byes.. STUPES>. But it is a hell of a game.. Stanford did well to organize this for us, and every one global saying this tournament was the Best organized thus far..

CONGRATS guyana.. Allyuh "Eat ah food " 1 mil US..

Our boys collect a lil 3 million TT.. Dat en so bad either...

Both teams did well.. Hell of a finish..

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 09:02:01 AM »
Errrrrrrrrr

What Was That?!?!?!?!?!

Big Head Mentality Will Eventually Kick You In The Face
unlucky TNT but
Congrats To Guyana

indeed... and yuh know close to the end of the game I knew they would win even though they had alot to do... with Sarwan.

MickeyRat

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
Congrats Guyana!

Offline joadav

• New Warrior
  • Tortola BVI here I come!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
wow that was excitement!  I really enjoyed the game I could hardly sit still... T&T did well to get up to 175 but alas we lost so congratulations Guyana! It was a matter of who wanted it more!
*ht007

TrinInfinite

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:41 PM »
sars was de danger man and deonarine come on and slap a big 6 to win, but i think tt will bounce back in the regionals and reclaim the odi and tests under ganga :beermug:

we will win the 20/20 next time and in all honesty i really could care less for it, i rather the longer versions than this americanized version of cricket....

1]; } ?>