March 29, 2024, 09:19:16 AM

Author Topic: How rife is taunting in football?  (Read 3290 times)

truetrini

How rife is taunting in football?
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »
How rife is taunting in football? 

By Richard Hookham 

Zidane sees red after his moment of madness against Materazzi

Whatever Marco Materazzi said to warrant Zinedine Zidane's head-butt and dismissal in the World Cup final, his deliberate incitement certainly had the desired result.

While the Italian defender was laying splayed out following Zidane's shocking assault, he knew his wind-up tactics had worked a treat.

Disciples of the black art of provocation could have only sat back and saluted the way Materazzi set the trap for Zidane with a diatribe of allegedly inflammatory taunts and a less-than-subtle squeeze of the Frenchman's left nipple.

Disastrously, Zidane took the bait and became another high-profile victim of the ancient art of sledging - a tactic which, when carefully deployed in football, can be as effective as any clever tweak of team formation.

In Italy, winding up an opponent is part and parcel of the game and a basic way of trying to get one up on your opposite number

Mark Hateley

But how common are the wind-up tactics deployed by Materazzi which sparked such a devastating reaction from Zidane?

According to former England and AC Milan striker Mark Hateley, they are seen as a fundamental and legitimate way of gaining an advantage.

"In Italy, it's part and parcel of the game and a basic way of trying to get one over your opposite number," Hateley told BBC Sport.

"That sort of things goes on all the time. It's non-stop with the defenders, especially. They pinch you, try to annoy you by telling you you are playing really badly. I've even known spitting.

"They try and get a reaction from you, it's always been like that and it always will be."

Hateley, who made 66 appearances for AC Milan between 1984-1987, insists that provocation is common at all levels of football, regardless of the country.

"It starts in the tunnel as soon as you come out of the changing rooms - balls might start to get kicked around and a 'stray' one might 'accidently' hit an opponent," added Hateley.

Hateley saw plenty of sledging during his 32-cap England career 

"Already, you've got someone fuming before they're even out on the pitch!

"Most teams target their opponents' weaknesses. For example, if one particular defender is slow, you put your fastest man up against him to try and break him down. If he has a temperament problem, you work on that too.

"Players can lose focus and concentration because they are being distracted with their marker always on their case.

"Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm really disappointed that in this case it worked on Zidane, regardless of what was said to him."

Former England star Chris Waddle agrees that winding up opponents was common in the game when he played.

But he says, in his experience, it always stopped short of personal insults.

Waddle said: "It was never an issue when I played, either here in England, playing abroad for England or playing in France for Marseille.

"Every team in England has its wind-up merchants, some teams have three or four.

"The stuff dished out was mainly mickey-taking stuff, a bit of banter which you shrugged off and accepted as part and parcel of the game.

"It was mostly along the lines of 'I've won this or that, what have you won?'

Every team in England has its wind-up merchants, some teams have three or four

Chris Waddle

"I've also heard some really funny stuff which had you in stitches."

"But I don't think I never heard anything really nasty or personal in all my years of playing, and I can only think that the episode with Zidane and Materazzi was a one-off."

Hateley believes that Italy's tactics in the World Cup final may also have led to Zidane's frustrations boiling over.

The 45-year-old ex-Rangers hitman, who also plied his trade in France with Monaco between 1987 and 1990, felt Zidane and his team-mates were becoming increasingly frustrated at failing to create a winning goal.

"Because Italy don't play that far up the field it's difficult to get behind them," Hateley said.

"You are looking for the killer pass but they just sit in there. They are masters of just soaking up pressure.

"That, coupled with the verbal taunts and the little kicks and tugs can be a recipe for disaster if the opposition have players who overreact.

Zidane showed how not to deal with provocation by flooring Materazzi

"I'm sure we'll eventually hear what Materazzi said to make Zidane snap, but in reality the Italian defence did their job."

Hateley insists, however, that whatever role Materazzi played in tainting Zidane's reputation in his swansong match, the World Cup winners deserved to be crowned champions.

"The way they conducted themselves off the field was a great credit to them," said Hateley.

"They were one the best teams to mix with the locals in Germany and made a lot of friends. Hopefully, this episode doesn't overshadow that."

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Re: How rife is taunting in football?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »
Glen Hoddle can talk, he's white. Zizou is of arab decent. Glen never had anyone call him a terrorist, homo, monkey and they call him a homo in the 80's and he didn't retaliate, he was a fag!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
Glen Hoddle can talk, he's white. Zizou is of arab decent. Glen never had anyone call him a terrorist, homo, monkey and they call him a homo in the 80's and he didn't retaliate, he was a fag!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

They quoted Chris Waddle not Glen Hoddle......too bad you're not a footballer or they would taunt you about your inability to read.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:48:55 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »

They quoted Chris Waddle not Glen Hoddle......too bad you're not a football or they would taunt you about your inability to read.

Oh lorsh ah shame for him! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »
Kicker thanks for the correction, but when I was playing and watching football your father was still jurking off in the cane field.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 12:23:09 PM »

They quoted Chris Waddle not Glen Hoddle......too bad you're not a footballer or they would taunt you about your inability to read.
lawd!!! PRESSHA!!!   :rotfl: :rotfl:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinfax

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 01:04:21 PM »
Kicker thanks for the correction, but when I was playing and watching football your father was still jurking off in the cane field.

I thought the trini word was jocking!!! :-)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »

How classy.....

Sorry about the joke ttcom. If I knew you were gonna stain yuh g-string over a little harmless picong, I woulda used better judgement.....cheers  :beermug:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:16:31 PM by kicker »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »
Kicker doe study he....Whey the man just tell we he is a old man who cyar read yes.... :rotfl:

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »

instead of playing and watching football yuh should ah be studying yuh school work

that way yuh could read and understand a lil better

Més que un club.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 01:42:07 PM »

come on granpa use some windex and clean orf dem bi-focals nah man
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »
i is play amateur ball and f**k with people head. it all over.

favorite things to say:
1. don't try that again or you will regret it.
2. you eh shit. you playing like a lil bitch.
3. what the f**k you trying to doing?...after stripping the ball.
4. what type of faggotry is that?
5. where the f**k you think you going? -  before roughing him up.
6. ...and my absolute favorite - when you get a indecisive attacker in a one on one situation, put your hand out and beckon him to you. if he foolish enough to come and try a nutmeg, strip the ball and pass it. good demoralizer.

i is a dirty baller. them spanish boys used to call me "sucio" in miami.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:50:01 PM by Andre »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 01:51:37 PM »

6. ...and my absolute favorite - when you get a indecisive attacker in a one on one situation, put your hand out and beckon him to you. if he foolish enough to come and try a nutmeg, strip the ball and pass it. good demoralizer.

and hope that despite his perceived indecisiveness, he doh somehow pull off a deadly spanner that leaves yuh on de ground beckoning for a stretcher, a gatorade & a sub....

but yeah, mental tactics are as much part of the game as anything else.....

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 01:53:36 PM »

and hope that despite his perceived indecisiveness, he doh somehow pull off a deadly spanner that leaves yuh on de ground beckoning for a stretcher, a gatorade & a sub....

but yeah, mental tactics are as much part of the game as anything else.....

and a ankle or spine depending on how he spanner yuh

Més que un club.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »
i doh get beads so. man will end up on the ground first and i will take mih card.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 02:36:48 PM »
ttcom get real quiet with dat one yes.
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 02:51:47 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 03:05:38 PM »

Oh Gawd kicker go easy on pops nah he forget to wash the yampie out he eye.................

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 03:07:48 PM »

How classy.....

Sorry about the joke ttcom. If I knew you were gonna stain yuh g-string over a little harmless picong, I woulda used better judgement.....cheers  :beermug:

I think he meant to say he father was the one in the cane field,and today that's why he have a problem with he sight.

1]; } ?>