April 28, 2024, 12:10:33 AM

Author Topic: Soca Stickmen in Virginia Beach  (Read 2925 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Soca Stickmen in Virginia Beach
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:00:24 PM »
Yeah people the National Men's Hockey team will be in Virginia Beach from tomorrow morning to play against the US Men's Hockey team in a 4-match series. If you want to support feel free to come over if you're in the vicinity. We would appreciate it.

http://www.usfieldhockey.com/usfha/training_center.htm - Venue
http://www.usfieldhockey.com/news/2006/men_TRI_series.html - Match article

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Stickmen in Virginia Beach
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 06:40:24 AM »
maybe you should have put this on the main football board and have it be more widely seen at least for a few minutes before it get moved.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:33:14 AM »
 ;D It's no worries either way. If people see it... cool. If not then so be it.

An update, the matches changed due to travel problems we encountered to the 14th, 16th and 17th.

Friday 14th - USA 2 : 3 T&T (HT 2:1)
Dwain Quan Chan and Kwan Browne (2) the goal scorers.

Sunday 16th 4:00pm
Monday 17th 10:00 am

Then it's off to the CAC Games.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »
Series drawn. We lost yesterday 2-3 and drew today 2-2. Off to Dominican Republic for the CAC Games (main games are in Columbia).

http://www.usafieldhockey.com/

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
Dwolfman...Hardluck allyuh fellas ent win de Gold..we all know allyuh very capable  :)
Congrats to the women's team also  :)
Hockey in T&T seems to continuosly heading in the right direction.

i used to play with a team called Mayfield..i ent know if they still exist
them all day tournaments used to be reall good, even though ah cant remeber ever winning ah game..but talk bout woman and beers lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »
fyi

source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=160990013

Hockey men, Fermin clinch silver for T&T

Sunday, July 30th 2006

Members of the Cuban field hockey team celebrate after beating Trinidad and Tobago in the gold medal game at the XX Central American and Caribbean Games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on Friday.

Trinidad and Tobago earned two silver medals on Friday night to bring their tally to 17 as the 20th Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games come to a conclusion today in Cartagena, Colombia.

T&T's medal haul reads one gold, five silver and 11 bronze.

The first medal on Friday came in the men's hockey final, which was played in the sub-headquarters in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, while the other came via boxing in the person of T&T's Andre Fermin.

In Santo Domingo, it took penalty flicks to deny the T&T team from repeating as champions when Cuba won 4-3 on penalties in what was described as a hard-fought and thrilling final that spectators called "the best hockey final in CAC history".

In a high-class, end-to-end hockey game, the two teams failed to break a 2-2 deadlock at the completion of 70 minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of golden goal extra time.

The match then went to the lottery of penalty flicks, with Cuba coming out on top. It was a cruel twist of fate for a courageous T&T team that had battled back to level the scores at two-all when Cuba took the early lead.

More so for Wayne Legerton, T&T's two-goal hero.

Legerton's joy, by game's end, had turned into sorrow following his penalty flick miss that proved the difference between gold and silver.

Last night, the T&T women's hockey team were set to battle Barbados in the bronze medal showdown.

On Friday, T&T lost 6-1 to Cuba in the semi-finals.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:30:50 PM »
Forumites, this tie in the CAC final might not seem very significant, but it represents the significant improvement in Trinidad and Tobago's outdoor hockey.  The qualification for the Indoor World Cup was an achievement in itself, but IMHO we should be qualifying for that tournament every time because we are definitely better than the US. 

Outdoor hockey is totally different though.  We were a step behind Canada and Cuba, but just tieing with Cuba is HUGE for us(Cuba made it to the 2002 hockey world cup and are argueably on par with Canada).  Continue to make us proud fellas.....

dwolfman: give us some updates and maybe some pics nah  ;D

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »
allyuh cyah say I doh respond to the call.  ;D De man call for pics and that's what he get.

As you obviously know we, the men, won silver at the CAC Games recently concluded.CAC Hockey for those who want to look at it.

After our semifinal win

Also after our semifinal win

That's me in action against Mexico (semifinal)

Us and Cuba before our final began

Us posing with our silver medals

The top 3 teams celebrating after the medal ceremony

We have come a long way in terms of our hockey. We are looking forward to the Pan Am Games to break into the top 2 for the first time in over 40 years.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 06:27:02 PM »
Thanks for de pics man....

Brazil next year go be sweet for all yuh......

Good luck with the training bredda and continue to represent us well  :beermug:

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:45:06 PM »
Thanks licks. In a low profile sport like hockey it makes the effort worthwhile to know that we are noticed. One of our proudest moments was receiving our silver medals knowing that we put T&T on Pan Am map as true competitors.

Our focus now is the indoor World Cup, but we are looking forward to the Pan Am Games too.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »
Now I can add some of the pictures from Virginia since that is the title of the thread. Some more from CAC in here as well.

T&T defending against USA

One of the guys marking USA's best player

Action during the third game against the US

Both teams, coaching staff and umpires

T&T women's right back in action against Bermuda

More action vs Bermuda. Left back passing to centre back

The women show appreciating to the crowd after the Mexico game

The women in the stands

Us men in the stands

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 08:44:48 PM »
Now I can add some of the pictures from Virginia since that is the title of the thread. Some more from CAC in here as well.

Nice pics man  :beermug:.....Cowie real posing up in dat last pic  ;D

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 12:22:30 AM »
It's nice to see that T&T Hockey doing well.

I played for Fatima (outdoor mostly because I also played rugby) from 88 until I left for the US in 93 and during that time Team T&T wasn't doing that well.....of course that was before the artificial surface was around.

Is the improvement due to the artificial surface, better coaching or due to more players playing in England?

Dwolfman whenever you're posting hockey news drop me PM so I can keep up  :) .

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 10:29:47 PM »
No problem Panther X. I'll do that.

Our improvement is as a result of a few factors. Yes, the coaching is better... actually it is very good. The coach has more ambition than previous coaches who were content to travel every 4 years or there abouts. He's worked hard on upgrading our technical and tactical abilities as well as our international match experience. We also set our own goals and decided that it was time to translate the talent on the team into better results. We're confident, playing well and getting better.

It's helped that we've got a fairly young team who was never exposed to the old attitude. They've got the cockiness of youth, but are willing to learn their trade properly.

Yes, having the guys play in England has definitely helped. A few of them play premiership hockey and even those in the lower divisions play at a high enough standard that their game is sharp.

I wouldn't say that the turf is why we're doing better because it's been here for 9 years by now. It's helped us in some ways, but players have also developed bad habits. I think with our success we should use the facility to attract more quality teams so the T&T public can see us play and hopefully attract younger players to the game.

1]; } ?>