Poll

Is Zidane to blame for France's loss?

Yes
22 (24.4%)
No
68 (75.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: July 11, 2006, 03:06:20 PM

Author Topic: Zidane  (Read 43044 times)

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane
« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »
Report: FIFA president says Zidane could be stripped of best player award

July 12, 2006

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- FIFA president Sepp Blatter says Zinedine Zidane could be stripped of his Golden Ball award for the best player at the World Cup due to violent conduct.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Wednesday's La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethic of the sport."

Zidane head-butted Italian defender Marco Materazzi in the chest after the two exchanged words on the field in extra time of Sunday's World Cup final. He was sent off and Italy won its fourth title on penalties.

FIFA's disciplinary committee opened an inquiry Tuesday into Zidane's behavior. Such inquiries are routine when a player receives a red card in an international match. World soccer's governing body has declined to say whether Materazzi's conduct also is being investigated.

Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball on Monday, ahead of Italy's Fabio Cannavaro and Andrea Pirlo. The ballot box was open until after the end of the final, making it unclear how many votes were cast before or after the incident.

Blatter said he was "very hurt" by Zidane's violent reaction and that "to see him act like that made me feel bad, for him and for fair play."

Legal challenge to World Cup result by French lawyer

AFP
July 12, 2006

PARIS (AFP) - A French lawyer plans to mount a legal challenge to the World Cup final result to establish whether the expulsion of Zinedine Zidane was within the rules.

Zidane, the French captain and playmaker, was sent off in the second period of extra-time of Sunday night's match in Berlin for a blatant headbutt on an Italian player.

But the off-ball incident was missed by the refree and his linesmen and it was only after consulation with the fourth match official that the decision to red card Zidane was taken.

Italy went on to win the World Cup shortly afterwards 5-3 on penalties.

Lawyer Mehana Mouhou, however, said he intended to ask a Paris court to question the fourth official to ascertain whether he had illegally used videotape to check what had happened.

"If a judge determines that illegal methods were used, the proper consequences must be drawn," he said.

"That means that Zidane should never have been sent off and it would be impossible to predict what the match result would have been and it should be replayed."

Mouhou said he was acting on behalf of "several football clubs."

LOL! It should be replayed ..that would go down a storm in italy. :rotfl: I wouldnt be suprised if an actual war broke out

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 12, 2006, 11:39:07 AM »
Some of you'll just don't get it do you...there are limits....are you competing fairly when you have to resort to taunts to instill a reaction from your opponent? Zidane might have been on the world stage but like most of us he is still human and is thereby subjected to frailty of human nature. Who amongst us have not have something said to us and have reacted negatively to it.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »
the press conference/interview is about to start in Paris. Does anyone have access to read/watch this interview what is going on live?

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 12, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »
Paris - French football icon Zinedine Zidane on Wednesday said he was sorry for head-butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final against Italy.

But he said in a French television interview that defender Marco Materazzi had brought on the gesture by insulting him with some "very hard words".

"I want to ask for forgiveness from all the children who watched that. There was no excuse for it," he said.

"I want to be open and honest about it because it was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children were watching."

Asked what exactly Materazzi had said, Zidane would only say that it was "very personal and concerned his mother and his sister".

Zidane was sent-off for the head-butt to Materazzi's chest in the second period of extra-time in Sunday's final in Berlin.

Italy went on to win the World Cup on penalties after the match had finished tied at 1-1 after extra-time.

While Italians celebrated their fourth World Cup crown, France and the rest of the world wondered just what had made the 34-year-old skipper and footballing genius act in the violent way he did in what was the final game of his career.

Source: Independent Online

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2006, 12:40:25 PM »
so he aint gonna tell us wat he said for real?  ::)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2006, 12:44:56 PM »

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2006, 12:45:09 PM »
Zidane is pure class..........I did not expect him to say what Matzzi told him. I always expected him to APOLOGIZE to all his fans for his behaviour. Real man does take blame when they wrong..........not point fingers.

ZIZOU I have faith bredda......thanks 4 the ups and downs  :beermug:

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »

Were u expecting him to come on national tv, in front of millions, and say, "his exact words were, 'your mother is a f****g wh@re' "?  :rotfl:

Could u imagine Beckham coming on d BBC and saying that?  

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »
righto..story done...chapter is closed

no racism..he stink talk de man family,, 3 times..zizou was wrong.....but shoulda kick him in he throat

zizou is still the king
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2006, 12:50:43 PM »

Were u expecting him to come on national tv, in front of millions, and say, "his exact words were, 'your mother is a f****g wh@re' "?  :rotfl:

yes

Offline trinfax

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Oh what a great thing Zidane did :-)
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »
Zizou at the time may not have realised what a great thing he was doing for the great sport of football by his actions.

Let's face it...his sending off had very little impact on the game. France still dominated in the 10 mins that was left, italy still couldnt score and Trezeguet would have still taken that penalty as a striker. So the result most likely would have been the same. We can make that assumption.

However, instead of talking about 'brilliant' football or tough defence,  we are forced to talk about something I don't think FIFA wants to talk about.. RACISM IN FOOTBALL. Which one is carrying more news, Italy's victory or the head-butt? And the reason for the that is there had to be extreme provocation to prompt his actions.

So FIFA with all his show with players standing on front of the "Say no to Racism" banner before games must admit that it is a major problem and no longer give it just lip service and finally deal with the incidents that are happening in Spain and Italy as we can see that they also manifest in players.

So, thank you Zizou. I think the Master used your greatness in another format. Not to pleasure us with beauty on the field as you had done for many many years, but to place on the front burner the ugly monster that is racism

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Oh what a great thing Zidane did :-)
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2006, 01:35:21 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2006, 01:38:30 PM »
It seems like the Zidane head butt had nothing to do with race.......All the race talk was based on speculation, that is slowly being laid to rest.

Zidane came out and said that Matterazzi insulted his mother and his sister, but did not mention race.

I haven't heard FIFA make any statements about fighting racism in response to Zizou's head butt.

I don't think that this incident has changed the landscape of football with respect to race....at least, so far it doesn't seem that way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 01:41:08 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline ttgapers

• dun know
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • ttgapers.com - the latest from the caribbean
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »
better article here (in more detail): http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373767&cc=5739

Zinedine Zidane has publicly apologised for his sending-off in the World Cup final, but claimed he did not regret his actions against Marco Materazzi.

Zidane, who was captaining his country in his final match before retirement, stated that Materazzi insulted his mother and sister in the seconds leading up to the incident, which saw the France midfielder thrust his head into the Italy defender's chest.

'I reacted badly and I would like to apologise for it,' Zidane told Canal Plus. 'I would like to apologise because a lot of children were watching the match. I do apologise but I don't regret my behaviour because regretting it would mean he was right to say what he said.

'There was no tension with Materazzi before or during the match.

'He just put his hand onto my shirt and I told him to stop. I told him that if he wanted it I could give it to him at the end of the match.

'Then he said very harsh words to me and repeated them several times. I left but then I went back towards him and things went very fast. The words he said concerned my mother and sister.

'I heard them once, then twice, and the third time I couldn't control myself. I am a man and some words are harder to hear than actions. I would have rather been knocked down than hear that.'

'Afterwards I explained to the referee that I had been provoked, but my behaviour is not forgivable,' Zidane said.

Without Zidane, who had earlier given France the lead with a penalty, extra-time finished with the score locked at 1-1, and Zidane's team lost the penalty shoot-out 5-3 to Italy.

Asked whether he plans to attend FIFA hearings into the incident, Zidane said that he would seek to defend himself.

'I will go and I will tell everything I have just said,' he added. 'The reaction is always punished but if there is no provocation there is no reaction. The guilty person is the one who provokes.

'If I reacted that way, it is because something bad happened. Do you really believe that 10 minutes before the end of my career I would be able to make such a bad gesture? The provocation was very serious.'

The incident was a sad way to end what has been a glittering career for Zidane, but he insisted he would not change his mind about retiring.

'This is a decision I have made and I will not go back on it,' he said. 'This is definite. I will not play again.'

Materazzi himself, who scored the equaliser for Italy on Sunday, made a statement of his own while Zidane was speaking on French television.

'I didn't mention anything about religion, politics or racism,' he said. 'I didn't insult his mother. I lost my mother when I was 15 years old and still get emotional when I talk about it.

'Naturally, I didn't know that his mother was in hospital but I wish her all the best.

'Zidane is my hero and I have always admired him a lot.'
ttgapers.com - the latest from the caribbean" style="border:0

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
i see this as two different things - racism on the pitch and racism in the stands.

honestly, i thought marc zoro had a chance to confront the latter issue by walking off the field in the game against inter. he was clearly upset. he would have caught heat for his actions but this more directly addresses the issue of racism in the stands.

imho, the latter issue is not addressed by the zizou incident.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »
It seems like the Zidane head butt had nothing to do with race.......All the race talk was based on speculation, that is slowly being laid to rest.

Zidane came out and said that Matterazzi insulted his mother and his sister, but did not mention race.

I haven't heard FIFA make any statements about fighting racism in response to Zizou's head butt.

I don't think that this incident has changed the landscape of football with respect to race....at least, so far it doesn't seem that way.

According to Reuters, Zidane actually denied that the word terrorist was used (dunno if that's true - anyone see the press conference?).

But trinifax point is still valid - regardless of what was said, it has gotten people thinking about racism.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2006, 01:56:46 PM »
I think that when something happens on the field between (or amoung) players to warrant such a drastic response that all players involved should be sent off, not just the one that reacted.  If the penalty was that strict, then players would think twice before goarded another one so badly as to see what happened in the final game.

As much as I was backing Italy, it tarnished the win in my mind.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »

yes

Well, if Becks was to do that, they would only be able to show it after the watershed, when lil kids like u have gone to bed  ;D

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »
Zizou at the time may not have realised what a great thing he was doing for the great sport of football by his actions.

Let's face it...his sending off had very little impact on the game. France still dominated in the 10 mins that was left, italy still couldnt score and Trezeguet would have still taken that penalty as a striker. So the result most likely would have been the same. We can make that assumption.

However, instead of talking about 'brilliant' football or tough defence,  we are forced to talk about something I don't think FIFA wants to talk about.. RACISM IN FOOTBALL. Which one is carrying more news, Italy's victory or the head-butt? And the reason for the that is there had to be extreme provocation to prompt his actions.

So FIFA with all his show with players standing on front of the "Say no to Racism" banner before games must admit that it is a major problem and no longer give it just lip service and finally deal with the incidents that are happening in Spain and Italy as we can see that they also manifest in players.

So, thank you Zizou. I think the Master used your greatness in another format. Not to pleasure us with beauty on the field as you had done for many many years, but to place on the front burner the ugly monster that is racism

I also put it to you that Crouch's pulling of Sancho's hair was an act of racism!! WE need to put this motion to FIFA so that discrimination against rasta/dreadlocks footballers can be combed out of the game!  I am sure BSC will agree with me! ;D
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2006, 02:26:02 PM »
PARIS (AP) -- French soccer star Zinedine Zidane apologized for brutally head-butting an Italian opponent in the World Cup final, saying Wednesday that he had been taunted with harsh insults about his mother and sister.

Zidane repeatedly apologized to fans -- especially to children -- in his highly awaited first comments since Sunday's match. But he said he didn't regret the abrupt, violent outburst that marked the end of his 18-year professional career.

"I tell myself that if things happened this way, it's because somewhere up there it was decided that way," the 34-year-old midfielder said in an interview on TF1 television. "And I don't regret anything that happened, I accept it."

Zidane, soft-spoken and relaxed in two television interviews late Wednesday, did not explain exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but he said it was about his family.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," he told the Canal Plus channel, stressing that Materazzi's language was "very harsh," and that he repeated the insults several times.

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy went on to win in a penalty shootout with Zidane -- an excellent penalty-taker -- in the locker room.

The act of aggression marred the end of the World Cup, with many warning it would tarnish Zidane's formidable legacy. Zidane retired after the tournament.

The France captain stressed that he felt no regret "because that would mean (Materazzi) was right to say all that."

"There was a serious provocation," said Zidane, who said he had never had tensions with Materazzi before.

"My act is not forgivable," Zidane said. "But they must also punish the true guilty party, and the guilty party is the one who provokes."

For days, sports fans around the world have been riveted by the question: What could Materazzi have said to set Zidane off in the last few moments of his career? Media from Brazil to Britain hired lip readers to try to figure it out, then came up with different answers.

Materazzi has acknowledged he insulted Zidane, without giving specifics. At nearly the same moment Zidane was on TV, excerpts from an interview that Materazzi gave were posted on an Italian paper's Web site. He denied insulting Zidane's mother.

"I didn't say anything to him about racism, religion or politics," Materazzi told the Gazzetta dello Sport. "I didn't talk about his mother either. I lost my mother when I was 15 and even now I still get emotional talking about her."

Zidane "has always been my hero," Materazzi said. "I admire him a lot."

Despite the head-butt, Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball award for best player at the World Cup -- though FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested Zidane could be stripped of the honor.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethics of the sport."

FIFA's disciplinary committee opened an inquiry Tuesday into Zidane's behavior. His red card was not unusual: Zidane was sent off 14 times in his career at the club and international level.

Despite his temper, Zidane is better known for his sportsmanship and dancer-like style with the ball. He is a national hero for the French and a symbol of a young, multicultural France. Born to Algerian immigrants, Zidane grew up playing on concrete in an impoverished neighborhood of Marseille.

President Jacques Chirac has had only kind words for Zidane since the match -- reassuring him that France still "admires and loves him." Many in France have already pardoned Zidane. A poll published Tuesday in Le Parisien newspaper showed that 61 percent of the 802 people questioned forgave Zidane.

Zidane said many people have asked him not to retire, but he said he would not change his mind.

"I won't go back on it, at least I hope so ... (the decision) it's definitive," he said.

Zidane told TF1 that he was "going to rest, and then move on to something else."

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2006, 02:57:01 PM »
no one blames Zidane and he has his legacy

what does Materazzi have? More years to play, but forever will be known as the player who taunted a legend and put an ugly face to de game

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2006, 03:08:37 PM »
no one blames Zidane and he has his legacy

what does Materazzi have? More years to play, but forever will be known as the player who taunted a legend and put an ugly face to de game

in italy he'll still b a hero 4ever. i sure he eh diggin no horrors...

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »
he in 20 years all they go remeber is
1. italy win the world cup
2..they go remember zidzne as a good player
fullstop

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »
fullstop

NO WAY!!

What allyuh remember bout the 94 final?? eh?

exactly!!

When man think back bout the 2006 final... de enduring memory will be how Zidane butt de man!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:46 PM »
94 final brazil win...
what else happen

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »
94 final brazil win...
what else happen

doh play stupid nah man....  :P

either dat or yuh didnt watch it
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »
fullstop

NO WAY!!

exactly!!

When man think back bout the 2006 final... de enduring memory will be how Zidane butt de man!!

no but duscam point prove right dey

of course Baggio miss de penalty

but even 10 years from then de main thing ppl remember is Brazil win

this Zidane thing won't last long, i feel ppl in 20 years ppl will remember Italy win it and that's all...ESPECIALLY since nobody blaming Zidane
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:42:04 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2006, 04:16:58 PM »
fullstop

NO WAY!!

exactly!!

this Zidane thing won't last long, i feel ppl in 20 years ppl will remember Italy win it and that's all...ESPECIALLY since nobody blaming Zidane

Doh get tie up. A lot of people do blame Zidane. In a poll done in France, more than 30% of people say they will not forgive him...and that is France. Read other soccer websites and plenty people have written off Zidane as an a$$. But he is too huge a star...he will be forgiven by the general public, and moreso, by the media.

By the way...why is it people always blame Baggio for missing 'De penalty' in 1994. Italy missed 3 penalties...Baresi and massarro missed as well. Never before has one man been blamed so much for other people's mistakes

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »
fullstop

NO WAY!!

exactly!!

Doh get tie up. A lot of people do blame Zidane. In a poll done in France, more than 30% of people say they will not forgive him...and that is France. Read other soccer websites and plenty people have written off Zidane as an a$$. But he is too huge a star...he will be forgiven by the general public, and moreso, by the media.

By the way...why is it people always blame Baggio for missing 'De penalty' in 1994. Italy missed 3 penalties...Baresi and massarro missed as well. Never before has one man been blamed so much for other people's mistakes

1. short term memory (Baggio kicked the last one)

2. Baggio was the biggest star on the team.....Iz always more fun to talk about the misfortunes of the biggest stars........When Becks kick away a pound of dirt and missed his PK in Euro 2004 against Portugal in the shootout, he wasn't the only one....but he was probably the only talked about over and over and over.............and over.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2006, 05:28:40 PM »
How about I remember Evani and Albertini were the only two Italians that scored their penalty.
Marcio Santos miss for Brazil I think.
Why d ass a defender was kickin dat penalty?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

1]; } ?>