April 19, 2024, 02:21:08 AM

Author Topic: Latapy playing on  (Read 4632 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Latapy playing on
« on: July 13, 2006, 05:31:30 AM »
Latapy playing on.
By Simon Fudge.

Falkirk midfielder Russell Latapy says he will play on for one more season, but will not halt his lavish lifestyle in the process.

The 37-year-old looked set to hang up his boots this summer after appearing for Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup finals in Germany.

The veteran believes his body can hold up for another campaign in the Scottish Premier League, as Latapy enters his fourth season with The Bairns.

The ageing Caribbean star is aiming to move into coaching after he retires, but insists his lifestyle will not affect him on the pitch this term.

"I can still play and contribute, but my body is going to decide and right now I feel in decent shape," Latapy told the Daily Record.

"Maybe I'll play more at the start of the season when the nicer surfaces suit me better. But I definitely want to concentrate more on coaching.

"People talk about what I do off the field, but I've lived this way all my life.

"I'll be 38 next month and I'm probably still going to play, so I don't think my smoking and drinking is really a problem."

Latapy has had a distinguished club career, having spent time in Portugal with Porto and Boavista before spells in Scotland with Hibernian, Rangers and Dundee United.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 06:05:48 AM by Flex »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy playing on
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:13:40 AM »
why does his lifestyle always come into play?

I have never seen latas on the field gasping for breath or holding his rib cage!

i wish these reporters would just lay off de man!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »
yeah judge him for what he does on the field and from what i saw in Germany, maybe more folks should try drinking and smoking, just kidding kids. ;D

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »

That smoking is why he didn't play more in the WC.
But is his choice and I don't think he had a problem with it.

If any of our younger players had that same attitude we would crucify them.

Hopefully his future teams don't have discipline problems when he is the head coach.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »

I have never seen latas on the field gasping for breath or holding his rib cage!

He might have been letting on why he didnt get playing time in  Germany. I suspect that Latas is not" fit"  and I doubt dat Beenie was impressed when Latas said to beenie and I quote.." If yuh couldn't get we fit all dat time, yuh could get we fit in 1 day" But in Latas defence, is only 2 man dat finish de 2 mile run (fitness test) and Stern quit on de dam run . So true enough Latas might not have been fit but neither was most of the Team let alone Stern John however He played a considerable amount of minutes with his non running self. Sounds familar, well Latas was pre-accused of not being able to run wid de pack. Better de people did say they weren't prepared to play that midfield meastro style...  Riquelme, Ballack, Ronaldhino, Zidane  allyuh get my drift. Non ah dem fellas dont run. Instead we would  play  attack when we not busy defending  . I really hoping Wijm go  live in Trinidad and get a good Trini wine (pun intended) and add a little Samba to his and our lives. We dont have to Samba like Brasil which seemed almost over-samba'd in dis WC but rather like Ghana, France &  Germany. They  all had effective short passing without leaving de back door expose. France had on of de dreadest midfields in de entire show and used it to destroy de Samba boys.  Dey say Latas cuss Evans Wise for running and crossing all de time? thats probably what dey tell Wise to do however Latas wasn't feelin dat. Immediately man could see the conflict of interest . Its Latas style why he didnt get no sweat. His bounce de ball style didnt fit int  de plans and in all fairness we probably couldnt play like that unless we had a coach that could harness and understand those abilities or we would have conceded more. Im ready for free flowing ball with a tight mid and back line. Like France and Germany.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »

He might have been letting on why he didnt get playing time in  Germany. I suspect that Latas is not" fit"  and I doubt dat Beenie was impressed when Latas said to beenie and I quote.." If yuh couldn't get we fit all dat time, yuh could get we fit in 1 day" But in Latas defence, is only 2 man dat finish de 2 mile run (fitness test) and Stern quit on de dam run . So true enough Latas might not have been fit but neither was most of the Team let alone Stern John however He played a considerable amount of minutes with his non running self. Sounds familar, well Latas was pre-accused of not being able to run wid de pack. Better de people did say they weren't prepared to play that midfield meastro style...  Riquelme, Ballack, Ronaldhino, Zidane  allyuh get my drift. Non ah dem fellas dont run. Instead we would  play  attack when we not busy defending  . I really hoping Wijm go  live in Trinidad and get a good Trini wine (pun intended) and add a little Samba to his and our lives. We dont have to Samba like Brasil which seemed almost over-samba'd in dis WC but rather like Ghana, France &  Germany. They  all had effective short passing without leaving de back door expose. France had on of de dreadest midfields in de entire show and used it to destroy de Samba boys.  Dey say Latas cuss Evans Wise for running and crossing all de time? thats probably what dey tell Wise to do however Latas wasn't feelin dat. Immediately man could see the conflict of interest . Its Latas style why he didnt get no sweat. His bounce de ball style didnt fit int  de plans and in all fairness we probably couldnt play like that unless we had a coach that could harness and understand those abilities or we would have conceded more. Im ready for free flowing ball with a tight mid and back line. Like France and Germany.

Ah hope yuh not trying to say the TnT was not fit for this WC if that is what yuh saying, in part of yuh post, that eh true and as for Latas he beat out and almost double the 'beep' scores of Jones and Glenn.. yuh hear meh almost double .Latas scores on de 'beep' test 11 and Glenn and Jones score bout a 5.8 to ah 6 .So doh talk bout Latas wasn't fit...
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:08:24 PM »

Ok...Latas fitter than Glen   ::)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »

yuh feel meh, Berris how yuh go argue a 38 year old man fit. Latas said he aint fit. Yuh aint see meh quote or what however Latas can make up for fitness with skill and experience. Whats Stern john's excuse. He surely has experience but has some how surrendered his skill.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:28:13 PM »

yuh feel meh, Berris how yuh go argue a 38 year old man fit. Latas said he aint fit. Yuh aint see meh quote or what however Latas can make up for fitness with skill and experience. Whats Stern john's excuse. He surely has experience but has some how surrendered his skill.

I never say Latas fitter that Glenn what I'm saying is that the physical running 'beep' test that is requested for all players to take to show yuh level of fittness,Latas double Glenn and Jones timings,which get Wim so mad that he say if he was incharge he wudda send both Glenn and Jones  home. Yuh say 'dey say' r u  impling someone close to the players or maybe some ah de players dem selves is the 'dey' ...if so just go back to source and ask them bout Latas not just beating beating Jones and Glenn in the 'beep' but almost doubling they score ....who knows mabye de test lie or the 'beep' machine broken or wasn't working, right ? becuz it impossible for ah 38yr old Latas to physically perform better than and much younger  Jones or Glenn ......right? steeeuuuuppppsss
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »
Well berris boy yuh make it worse because a 38 yr old fag smoker and hard drinker beepin better than de young boys and couldnt get no sweat as a result of speed? sounds kinda fishy maybe style,  not speed because he is de champion beeper right :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
How Stern do on de Beep test?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 02:37:20 PM »

Ah hope yuh not trying to say the TnT was not fit for this WC if that is what yuh saying, in part of yuh post, that eh true and as for Latas he beat out and almost double the 'beep' scores of Jones and Glenn.. yuh hear meh almost double .Latas scores on de 'beep' test 11 and Glenn and Jones score bout a 5.8 to ah 6 .So doh talk bout Latas wasn't fit...

breds........yuh source hadda be wrong.....jones and glen cyah possibly get "5.8 to 6"on a beep test......a U14 could get more than dat.......unless is some odder version of de beep test you talking about.....

but I'm positive they take the international standardized beep test, and every man on dat team should be getting at least 13 on dat beep test....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 02:46:57 PM »

Yuh done know Berris avoidin dah one like de flikkin plague!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »
Well berris boy yuh make it worse because a 38 yr old fag smoker and hard drinker beepin better than de young boys and couldnt get no sweat as a result of speed? sounds kinda fishy maybe style,  not speed because he is de champion beeper right :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It have nuff man like yuh self dat is  come on here an just blow smoke thru dey ass .It doh make sense trying to explaing nuttin to you if you cud say Latas eh get ah sweat becuz of 'his style of play'  'his bounce de ball play did not fit in with  de plan' ah mean yuh want to try and come accross as yuh know bout 'beep' test and who fit and who eh fit,yuh want tuh make ppl feel yuh know bout football and daiz de kinda ah jackassness yuh talking.
You eh have an idea bout de game ......... yuh feel meh!!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 02:56:38 PM »

breds........yuh source hadda be wrong.....jones and glen cyah possibly get "5.8 to 6"on a beep test......a U14 could get more than dat.......unless is some odder version of de beep test you talking about.....

but I'm positive they take the international standardized beep test, and every man on dat team should be getting at least 13 on dat beep test....

I eh wrong..... like yuh eh here wha ah say or 5.8 to 6 while Latas get 11....and Wim say if he wuz he incharge he wudda send both ah dem home ....go and do more inquiring if yuh doh know....

p.s Palos just for yuh info Stern never fail ah beep test ...daiz for all de bumpers too !!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:09:37 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 04:48:11 PM »

If any of our younger players had that same attitude we would crucify them.

True dat. 

When some of our ballers (Dwarika, Hardest, etc.) look back on their career and ask "Why they did not fulfill their full potential?"  I hope they are honest with the obvious response (Lack of self-discipline).  But life is all about being contented and in Latas case it appears that he is quite contented.  Who can vex him??

Blessings.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »

I eh wrong..... like yuh eh here wha ah say or 5.8 to 6 while Latas get 11....and Wim say if he wuz he incharge he wudda send both ah dem home ....go and do more inquiring if yuh doh know....

p.s Palos just for yuh info Stern never fail ah beep test ...daiz for all de bumpers too !!

cool...jes do meh a favour nah....ask yuh source what beep test dey take, and what's de cutoff....

cause i ain't know any versions of dat beep test where 11 is satisfactory for any elite athlete(including golf).....thanks

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 05:59:39 PM »

unlike Roberto Carlos...

Offline croc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 01:52:12 AM »
imagine how good Latas would have been If he did not smoke and drink so much....just ah thought.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 08:07:23 AM »
imagine how good Latas would have been If he did not smoke and drink so much....just ah thought.
Exactly.

Offline Falkirk and proud

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 10:05:30 AM »
I for one am glad Latas is playing on,Although i think he will not start as many games and will be more of an impact player,But what an impact he will make ;D
The Falkirk Stadium where a genius plays.

Offline Ned

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 05:28:01 AM »
Latas played in Falkirk's 1-0 friendly defeat away to Dutch side Groningen yesterday :

Full Story

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 12:52:57 PM »
Latas played in Falkirk's 1-0 friendly defeat away to Dutch side Groningen yesterday :

Full Story

I think we should give Russell Latapy a new nickname to replace 'The Magician'!
How about 'The Duracell'?!  ;D
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>