March 28, 2024, 07:53:59 AM

Author Topic: NFL players vs FOOTBALL players  (Read 6117 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
NFL players vs FOOTBALL players
« on: July 07, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »
I had an argument today with ah group fellars on which players in their respective sport makes more money.Who do you think makes more money,the NFL players or the FOOTBALL players?,i refuse to say soccer players and that's another argument by itself.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: NFL players vs FOOTBALL players
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 01:09:21 AM »
Ah feel football players might be more...just because pounds and euros  worth more than dollars...but that just my own opinion eh, ah did not do know research so doh kill me  ;D.. and doh feel bad by calling the sport by it's rightful name FOOTBALL!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 05:15:24 AM »
footballers.
even if not theyre more respected than playing the stupid game of american football

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
  • There is only ONE number 7. And its worn in Trini
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 06:09:13 AM »
Its called HANDball not football ;D

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 06:26:22 AM »
it depends top player probably make around the same amount, however I think that american football players make a little more only because of their signing bonuses

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »
if you had a contest for who would get most fit without using any weights,  who do you think would win? football of course. take away all the weight training from sports such as baseball,  american football,  or basketball and throw them into a full season of games. they wouldnt even last. now for a football player,  with all the running involved they're going to be the most fit. talent over strength.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 12:11:38 PM »
I think football because the monies that the players get in the American entertaiment game are not all guaranteed. There are a lot of "ifs" in the contracts.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:16:35 PM »
Which leagues are you comparing the NFL to? There are far more football leagues in the world than the one NFL. Have you considered the league minimum in the NFL versus the other football leagues.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »
The average salary for NFL players hit an all-time high last season (2000) as it surpassed the benchmark of $1 million for the third consecutive year.

The average salary of $1,169,470 reflected a 5% increase over 1999, according to NFL Players Association documents. It bested the previous high of $1,137,800 set in 1998.

Here are the top 25 NFL salaries from the 2005 season. (source http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx)

1   Vick, Michael  $ 23,102,750     Atlanta Falcons 
2   Hasselbeck, Matt  $ 19,005,280     Seattle Seahawks 
3   Pace, Orlando  $ 18,000,000     St. Louis Rams 
4   Jones, Walter  $ 17,701,320     Seattle Seahawks 
5   Brady, Tom  $ 15,654,180     New England Patriots 
6   Bailey, Champ  $ 13,507,625     Denver Broncos 
7   Smoot, Fred  $ 12,300,000     Minnesota Vikings 
8   Rolle, Samari  $ 12,000,990     Baltimore Ravens 
9   Henry, Anthony  $ 11,604,840     Dallas Cowboys 
10   Ogden, Jonathan  $ 10,665,550     Baltimore Ravens 
11   Stroud, Marcus  $ 10,640,000     Jacksonville Jaguars 
12   Woodson, Charles  $ 10,537,000     Oakland Raiders 
13   Baxter, Gary  $ 10,510,698     Cleveland Browns 
14   Bulluck, Keith  $ 10,251,980     Tennessee Titans 
15   Johnson, Rudi  $ 10,250,000     Cincinnati Bengals 
16   Samuels, Chris  $ 9,550,000     Washington Redskins 
17   Favre, Brett  $ 9,500,000     Green Bay Packers 
18   Roethlisberger, Ben  $ 9,498,840     Pittsburgh Steelers 
19   Lucas, Ken  $ 9,400,000     Carolina Panthers 
20   Muhammad, Muhsin  $ 9,335,407     Chicago Bears 
21   Manning, Eli  $ 9,305,000     New York Giants 
22   Rivera, Marco  $ 9,130,280     Dallas Cowboys 
23   Ferguson, Jason  $ 9,129,290     Dallas Cowboys 
24   Wahle, Mike  $ 9,100,000     Carolina Panthers 
25   James, Edgerrin  $ 9,081,000     Indianapolis Colts 

The average basic salary of a footballer in the English Premiership is $1,177,967 (676,000 GBP) a year, or $22,651 per week, according to a survey of professional players by the British newspaper The Independent (www.independent.co.uk). That figure typically rises by between 60 and 100 per cent when performance-related bonuses, including for actually playing, are added.

The basic pay represents an average rise in earnings of 65 per cent since 2000, the last occasion that a large-scale study was done. The average then was $712,644 (409,000 GBP) a year, or almost $13,937 a week.

The average basic annual Championship salary is now $341,O52 (195,750GBP), an increase of 53 per cent from six years ago.

The average yearly salary in League One is now $118,214 (67,850 GBP), and in League Two $86,422 (49,600 GBP).

Other sports in US:
NBA 1999 average salary $3,522,134
NHL 1999 average salary $1,194,206
MLB 1999 average salary $1,720,049
(source http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/FansInAction/Salaries/Main1.htm)
Here's an article on MLS salaries http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/06/AR2005070601876.html

So the answer is on average for the year 2000 the base salary is higher in the NFL

« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:50:02 PM by e-man »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 01:40:17 PM »
If you aren't talking about quarterbacks, I say it's football players, easily.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 01:49:40 PM »
If you aren't talking about quarterbacks, I say it's football players, easily.

Yeah, without the QB's the average would drop substantially, but then to be fair you'd have to remove the star strikers on the other side.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 01:52:27 PM »
thanks eman,our football is played around the world unlike the American football, and yet there stupid sport that is mainly supported in America has a better salary than the greatest sport in the world FOOTBALL STEUPS

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »
Those NFL players only get 15% of that money. ALL the bling they have is not theirs...its sponsored.

It is BEYOND ridiculous that the BIGGEST and most VIEWED sport in the world is unknown (per se) by the BIGGEST country in the world. Living in the US you can see, these people living in the a f*cking bubble

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »
Those NFL players only get 15% of that money. ALL the bling they have is not theirs...its sponsored.

It is BEYOND ridiculous that the BIGGEST and most VIEWED sport in the world is unknown (per se) by the BIGGEST country in the world. Living in the US you can see, these people living in the a f*cking bubble

Yuh care to elaborate on this statement? ???
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
wat you mean huh?
I talk to 5 fellas today. None of them even know about a missile launch on Japan...but they could talk the f*ck out of baseball eh. You ever see their NFL advertisments for fans? ALl the preparation and this and measure tape and kiss my @ss. How much of them does DO that. Compare THAT to the article in China bout the man who pulls his TV from a fire to watch the world cup, leaving his house to burn down. Stupid yes. Its all advertising for the US. they SO EASY to chain up

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 03:07:44 PM »
if you had a contest for who would get most fit without using any weights, who do you think would win? football of course. take away all the weight training from sports such as baseball, american football, or basketball and throw them into a full season of games. they wouldnt even last. now for a football player, with all the running involved they're going to be the most fit. talent over strength.
and this is relevant how?

Offline Agos

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
Saying to take out the quarterbacks and football players easily make more does not make sense because players at Chelsea,Man U and Arsenal make a decent amount more than the players from the other smaller clubs in EPL.And salary wise the biggest earners in North American sports make more than the higher payed football players in Europe.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 05:19:34 PM »
You people forget one thing...NFL players does get way more than footballers PER GAME! They does only play 16 or if they real lucky between 17 and 19 games a year. NFL preseason doh count as that is real tata! Based on pure salary Footballers earn more....mainly because they have more power than NFL players. Footballers have loads of options to earn a living, yuh could earn more playing in the obscure middle eastern leagues than most average NFL players would earn in a career...where NFL players could go, CFL,AFL or NFL Europe no other options really.

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
You people forget one thing...NFL players does get way more than footballers PER GAME! They does only play 16 or if they real lucky between 17 and 19 games a year. NFL preseason doh count as that is real tata! Based on pure salary Footballers earn more....mainly because they have more power than NFL players. Footballers have loads of options to earn a living, yuh could earn more playing in the obscure middle eastern leagues than most average NFL players would earn in a career...where NFL players could go, CFL,AFL or NFL Europe no other options really.

yuh raise some good points, but just cause dem boy not playing a game 3 times a week does not mean they not working.... trust me on this!

And comparing salaries is not going to work..... reason being.... in the NFL Bonuses which accounts for a considerable amount of their total earning are not counted as salary. They usually occur up front in year one, until the player signs another contract.  So most of those numbers posted above doh mean anything next yr.... etc...

Also comparing yearly median salaries in the NFL is a wasteful exertion of brain power... why? Because contracts are not structured linear, meaning pay progression does not automatically trend upwards.... Salaries are also highly incentivised, which make it more erattic. Getiing to playoffs, making the allstar team, gaining some performance objective etc. can all lead to volatility in those numbers.

And one more thing, CONTRACTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED, you can be shown the door at any point, thats why Signing bonus's have become so important......

It's true that the avg. salary for a stating QB is higher than any other position on the field, but you can argue only a special few earn that throughout the course of their careers, so excluding QBs doh help, and plus there are several other positions that get paid nearly just as much, ever heard of an Offensive lineman, especially LT....

To answer this question it will take a considerable amount of number crunching...... and I ain't talking A level maths either......

The only questions we can answer here are the obvisious ones
Footballers have more net gross as a group
Footballers careers tend to be longer
Footballers yr to yr earnings are more consistant
In football even the shithounds can make a decent living (career)
In football you have greater chances of earnings from endorsement (most players have a market that recoqnise them, in the NFL not all players are marketible, and audience (market) is limited)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:49:13 AM by marcus »

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 06:23:12 AM »
just to ask do you guys actually watch the nfl

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 07:13:54 AM »
Used to. I dont care for it anymore. But you dont need to watch the NFL to know if someone making money or not. That is all statistics.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 10:19:58 AM »
Because of the large number of players in lower less paid football leagues, it may be a difficult comparison except you compare only the top divisions e.g. Premier, Serie A, with the NFL.  There are no lower NFL leagues so the average salaries are elevated.  Further as someone stated earlier, NFL contracts seem high but are not guaranteed so the finalsalaries may be lower than first apparent.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 10:24:22 AM »

here's my take which is a little off topic, but you raise an interesting point - the nfl is marketed to a specific demographic. when i was younger, i would watch alot of nfl on sunday, mostly with friends that were interested in the game. i would keep tabs on football as well, but now i find nfl doesn't appeal to me as much as i fall out of the demographic.

i think the appeal of football is more broadly-based than american football.

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »

yes of course

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 04:21:15 PM »
I have never seen a game in my life..jus random clips.

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »

well I can see why thats possible, when I lived in london, it was real ketch ass to see NFL games, came on after midnight.....

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Two challenges ah haf like NFL
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 06:28:18 AM »

Last night after the game we sat discussing the use of video in football in the future.
The group was made up of two english, four aussies and one trini.

We all agreed that at some stage or the other because of cheating by players our respective teams were hard done by. (the english argument was debatable)

However we came to a kinda consensus that if the respective managers were allowed two video challenges to the referees' decisions per half (like NFL). Controversial decisions that could ultimately put teams out of tournaments and affect players carreers could work.

Time would not be affected because the game takes alot of time to restart with players protesting anyhow.

Lets face it time are changing and if we have the ability to improve on the beautifull game it will be a travesty not to.

Example : If Maradona's hand of god goal was disalloowed what could have been the outcome of that game ?

If Prossers dive was caught and no penalty was given , would Italy have gone on to win the WC ?

If Crouch's goal was disallowed , would TT have held England or even beaten them making progress further.

What is the take on this and should fans worldwide pressure FIFA to submit to change?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 09:44:06 AM »

well I can see why thats possible, when I lived in london, it was real ketch ass to see NFL games, came on after midnight.....

i dont particularly wanna see a game i think its stupid

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 01:19:09 PM »
Because of the large number of players in lower less paid football leagues, it may be a difficult comparison except you compare only the top divisions e.g. Premier, Serie A, with the NFL.  There are no lower NFL leagues so the average salaries are elevated.  Further as someone stated earlier, NFL contracts seem high but are not guaranteed so the finalsalaries may be lower than first apparent.

See: NFL Europe, CFL and Arena football league for lower divisions
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 05:41:42 PM »

i dont particularly wanna see a game i think its stupid

So why did you read and post.... if yuh did not care about it.... yuh looking for attention or wha

1]; } ?>