April 29, 2024, 05:10:43 AM

Author Topic: Asafa powell just smash the 100 meter record  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Asafa powell just smash the 100 meter record
« on: June 14, 2005, 12:31:03 PM »
This man is pressure.bORWN AND BURNS WHERE ALLYUH
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Asafa powell just smash the 100 meter record
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 12:32:54 PM »
Powell breaks world 100m record 

Powell believed he would break the men's record this season
Jamaican Asafa Powell set a new men's 100m record of 9.77 seconds at the Athens Olympic Stadium on Tuesday.
The 22-year-old bettered American Tim Montgomery's previous mark of 9.78, which he set at the Paris Grand Prix in September 2002, by 100th of a second.

The world record will be consolation for Powell, who had gone to the Athens Olympics as favourite only to trail home fifth behind winner Justin Gatlin.

Powell topped the 2005 world rankings but now goes into the history books.

The 22-year-old spoke confidently about surpassing Montgomery's mark after he clocked 9.84 - the joint-third fastest time in history - in Kingston last month.

And in calm conditions in Greece, Powell's promise paid off as he streaked home ahead of Ghana's Abdul Zakari and compatriot Michael Frater in record time.

Britain's Jason Gardener finished a disappointing ninth in 10.29 while Mark Lewis-Francis did not qualify for the final.

American Jim Hines became the first man to dip below the 10-second mark in 1968.

Since then the world mark has been lowered nine times - twice by nine-time Olympic gold medallist American Carl Lewis.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 12:44:39 PM »
wait a minute...didn't someone just post this...?

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=1906.0

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 03:01:14 PM »
Big props to Asafa.  So the Fastest man in De World hails from we brothers up north.  Nice.  Here is something for Burns and Brown to shoot for.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline bada

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 03:29:29 PM »
Congrats to Asafa - it was on the cards, surprisingly it has happened very quickly this season.

Anyone have the drug question at the back of their mind though? Once you break the 100m record (especially a record that was held by a drug cheat), people may always wonder.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »
Here we go again. Why rain on the man parade today by useing the term "drug" ? Jamaica has traditionally produced great athletes!
Now only if our footballers would stop @#@ing around and deliver

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
To Reggaefan
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 06:08:53 PM »
RF get serious, you can't be upset with people who question the ligitimacy of  that time. While I want to give Asafa Powell the benefit of the doubt, good sense does not permit me the forget the Tim Montgomery the former record holder was charged with taking steroids.

Congratulations are in order anyway.

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 06:20:04 PM »
Congrats to Asafa!!!

Next ting man running below 9.75 sec!!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 06:55:54 PM »
what the ass going on with brown and burns bwoy

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 07:03:50 PM »
Easy triniman....they will reach where they going soon enough

Give props to we jakan brudders in the meantime...It go have plenty time for them to repay us in the future  ;D

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 07:21:42 PM »
no name no diss how could a man who is 22 years old who nev donminated at the carifta or who neva ran at the carifta all of a sudden at 22 become a world beater. i hope he is clean

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »
I hear yuh....but nevertheless

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 06:46:20 AM »
stop crying like a baby Triniman. If it was Darrel Brown that had smashed the record I bet you you wouldnt be questioning the legitimacy. BTW, Powell was teh favorite going into the final of teh men's 100M at the last olympic. Powells older brother was a sprint sensation in the 1990's during JAmaica's boys champs. His brother also represented Jamaica.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 06:55:46 AM »
What Powell have to do with a T&T football forum ?? take yuh argument somewhere else nah,,,, yuh get yuh big up already now do like a bamsee and split nah.. yuh want we to kneel down and worship yuh now...

Glad for yuh... he did good.

PS: They should change the name Jamaica to Foreign Jamaica.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 06:57:42 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 07:16:56 AM »
Having another bad day Sam? And what do you mean "Foreign Jamaica"? Powell Left Charlemont high school 5 years ago....and is a product of the Jamaica's UTECH. So too Usain Bolt.

Jamaica gave the world Donovan Baily and Lindford Christie, is that what you mean by "Foreign Jamaica" (we gave the world Ben Johnson too, but I am not sure many care to know that  ::) )
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 07:21:28 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 08:00:07 AM »
You guys funny.  Yes this is football website but there are always topics that end up here that are not football related.  Anyway, once again congrats to Asafa Powell.  Everybody "clean" until proven otherwise (a whole other issue).  We should not point fingers at Asafa and start the drug talk.  If it was Justin Gatlin that broke the record, Americans would be excited and not start any drug talk (although they are probably the most guilty).  If Burns or Brown broke the record and RF start that drug talk, we will all be vex, so don't do RF like that.  Powell has been running fast for the past 2 years and he was quite consistent in the years prior to that, he is not really a "newcomer", I have been following him for about 4 years.

Instead of pointing fingers we need to understand what Jamaica and Bahamas are doing right.  They keep kicking our a*s in track and field.  It is not that we don't have the talent or Jamaica has more talent than us.  So we need to stop hating and handle our own business.  Let RF gloat, a world record in 100 m is something to gloat about. We will be gloating to everybody who want to hear and those who don't care when we qualify for Germany.  Every dog has its day.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 08:32:30 AM »
Dat boy is flying, pulling up at the end of races and still running sub 10 secs FLYING!!!A Jamaican came 3rd in that race and a Jamaican woman won the women's 100m. 

When TnT when?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 09:02:57 AM »
Dat boy is flying, pulling up at the end of races and still running sub 10 secs FLYING!!!A Jamaican came 3rd in that race and a Jamaican woman won the women's 100m. 

When TnT when?

When Ato Boldon was mashin up de track becoming the first human to run multiple sub 10 100's and sub 20 200's IN THE SAME DAY...to date de human STILL wit de most sub 10 and 20 in history...or when D Brown take silver from Kittian Kim Collins in the World Championships ah wasn't hearin yuh bump yuh gum bout when T&T nutting.

Allyuh jes love to criticise fuh criticise sake.  When T&T nationals do good allyuh doh say BOO.  Let somebody else do sumting and is a setta dotish talk.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »
My issue is not with our athletes, otherwise I would have said When Brown when!! or mentioned another athlete by name.  I think all our athletes out there on the circuit and in the colleges are doing commendable jobs, but I think there is a lack of support from the TnT Gov't for most of these athletes.  The kind of support that would create a larger pool of talent from which to draw new record breakers, the kind of support that would allow these athletes to maintain an easier lifestyle while living and training abroad.  How many of us know talented kids at home, be it acedemically or athletically that need a lil assistance in moving on to the next level, be it obtaining that college scholarhsip or even just the means to pursue their chosen path?  How many of them are contacted by someone in the Ministry of Sports to say "do you need help contacting coaches and colleges? Are you a member of a local club and if so are you able to make it to practice and games or meets?

so again I bump my gums and ask...
When TnT when??

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 03:19:35 PM »
Good question Mr Mc! Should we balme the government or the people who vote them in?

Basically we are not maximising our talents in many arears and are not helping our talented youngsters to bloom to their maximum potential!  :'(
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »
aye soca pro yuh forget

ah gorn at the end

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 03:54:51 PM »
The government is mostly repsonsible for the poor state of sports in TnT especially track and field. It does not matter whether it is PNM or UNC, they are all on the the bandwagon mentality.  Somebody win a medal, they want to pose with for picture an dtalk about support.  No support when the man or woman have to borrow money from their grandmother to go training.  I know of youth man who could have been a good sprinter but he did not even have a pair of shoes to run in.  He used to be scorching up all dem grass field barefeet and beating man in their Nikes. He got some shoes but he gave up track because in his words ." Trinidad only care about football, and even football dem does F**K up" 

Inaddition to the government lack of support, the administration is also at fault.  However, they blame the government for evrything.  It is when Ato and his father open up their mouth then a lot of people realise how terrible the admoinistration is.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 04:20:53 PM »
Unless a government establish sport as a priority and provide clear criteria as to what that priroity is, it eh make no sense blamin government.

Most people does look to "government" to bail dem out.  In case we forget...de "government" is de people the majority of citizens who vote elect and entrust with the management of the country.

To put it in perspective.....yuh think US Soccer is a "priority" of de US government?

Real Madness have a point.  The biggest single problem we in the West Indies have with regards to sport is the problem of administration.  They does bring een foreign players, foreign coach, foreign psychologists etc as some kind of panacea but de administration remain de same.  This is throughout the sporting disciplines although there may be a few exceptions.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 04:50:50 PM »
The Gov't or the Administration, some agency of higher authority needs to be providing some support.  If I am not mistaken Powell still lives and trains in JA, attending the Univ. of Technology.  Who among us thinks that Ato could have accomplished what he did had he remained in Trinidad, attended UWI, and had to rely on the Govt/Adminstration and his own personal finances to train and travel to compete?
As for soccer being a a priority of the US Gov't, it may not be high on George W's list, but in 2000 the US soccer Federation (or whatever they are called) stated that the US intended on winning the 2010 World Cup.  Since then there has been increased emphasis on development at the younger levels.  Here in south florida, there are numerous teams in many leagues and tournaments in and out of state.  It might be just me but I think the US is serious bout that 2010 WC.

Aint no reason why we the people cant step in and fill the void that we so easily blame the Gov't for creating.  I remember once hearing Ato speak of forming A.T.O. Athletes Towards Olympics, I could not wait for that and wondered how I could be involved, but I guess I too am guilty of being reactive and dependent instead of proactive and independent.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 05:43:26 PM »
As for soccer being a a priority of the US Gov't, it may not be high on George W's list, but in 2000 the US soccer Federation (or whatever they are called) stated that the US intended on winning the 2010 World Cup.  Since then there has been increased emphasis on development at the younger levels.  Here in south florida, there are numerous teams in many leagues and tournaments in and out of state.  It might be just me but I think the US is serious bout that 2010 WC.

I agree.  The US does intend to win World Cup 2010 but this is LARGELY the result of vision, planning, implementation and execution of the US Soccer Federation (or whatever they are called) and not Government involvement.

Any government that is accountable to it's people will in turn ask any organisation to which it dispurses funds to be accountable for those funds as well.  This appears to be a major problem for some of our sporting organisations.

At the end of the day, Government is there to assist when needed.  They are not there to run the various sporting disciplines unless dey name Cuba.  How can they anyway when as in the case of T&T football, the government CANNOT interfere in the running of any FIFA sanctioned local Federation?

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 05:56:46 PM »
The problem with all sports in T&T is that it suffers from the Vicious Cycle.

Gov't care about Numbers....especially Number of people because people equal votes.

People aint supporting sport in numbers
Gov't aint supporting sport

If the people were supporting in numbers the gov't would see them as a block of votes with power....

But the people have no power ( in numbers) so the gov't don't see a need to support sport in any major way.
Try outlawing Fete and see what go happen. Is riot  :D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 06:09:50 PM »
Try outlawing Fete and see what go happen. Is riot  :D

Dey try outlawin teefin de oddah day and men threaten to bruk people outta jail too.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 06:17:20 PM »

Dey try outlawin teefin de oddah day and men threaten to bruk people outta jail too.... ;D ;D ;D

Good one. Only in T&T.  ;D

1]; } ?>