April 28, 2024, 01:23:42 PM

Author Topic: Why do Americans dislike football?  (Read 14744 times)

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why do Americans dislike football?
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:11:09 PM »
I'm just very confused with why some Americans dislike football (soccer) so much, dat even after de world cup dey still bashing de number one sport in de world. There is dis sport talk radio in south Florida, called 790 am (de ticket), dey always have something negative tuh say about soccer. Today de host of one of de programs, even made a suggestion dat Americans should stop playing and supporting a game wid 22 players running up and down on a field,  wid 2 big goal post, which dey cannot score in.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:22:16 PM by Tallman »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
*coughs*retard*coughs* sorry i have the allergies badly today

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:26:32 PM »
Don't study it man. We like the sport, some of them like  it others don't.

It is unfortunate that a lot of the mainstream media make jokes about soccer but that is just the way it is.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »
Can anyone spell S-O-U-R-G-R-A-P-E-S...

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
when they came to the 'new world' they did not want the old world 'stuff' to have a hold on their new society, so they repackaged rounders and called it baseball, also modified rugby and called it football, and  basketball came from canada so that was ok... it seems football 'soccer' has 'wheel an come again' to a new generation of americans, but there are other americans who will never accept it from the point of view it's not american...and that has to do with programing.....

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why do Americans dislike football?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »
They just don't want to support another sport, that has the potential too take away their top 2 sports, baseball and American Football, so they will always try to find negative things to say.

This is what gets me, their game they call football, 99% of the game is played with the ball in their hands but they call the game Football, just don't get it.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:56:15 PM »
they try with the NASL but it didn't catch.  :(

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
Actually, very few Americans are like that. Some like it. Most couldn't care less either way. Very few hatefully bash it, though.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »
This is what gets me, their game they call football, 99% of the game is played with the ball in their hands but they call the game Football, just don't get it.

It was derived from Rugby football - so football - The game is also played "on foot" (see http://www.footballresearch.com/articles/frpage.cfm?topic=a-to1633) even though the ball is played with the hands.

and then Association football ended up being called soccer to differenciate.

btw For all those who hate to call Association football "soccer" - do you have an equal disdain for calling Rugby football "rugby"? Or is it just that because the Amerikans call it that - The South Africans seem to prefer "soccer" to "football" at least in the English speaking news outlets. But in Afrikaans it's also "sokker" - so you gonna hate the SA's for calling it that, too?

To me it's just a name - just semantics. If you're into sports you'll play the game if it presents a challenge - if it's competitive - doesn't matter what it is - american football, aussie rules football, rugby, soccer whatever. Yeah I know a lot of couch potatoes up here who just watch what the boob tube puts in front of them - so they don't care for soccer - but for us kids growing up in the US who play outside in the school yard - we play anything - I would say as far as pick up games go I gave equal time to all the sports played up here including "soccer".

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 08:41:08 PM »
I'm just very confused with why some Americans dislike football (soccer) so much, dat even after de world cup dey still bashing de number one sport in de world. There is dis sport talk radio in south Florida, called 790 am (de ticket), dey always have something negative tuh say about soccer. Today de host of one of de programs, even made a suggestion dat Americans should stop playing and supporting a game wid 22 players running up and down on a field,  wid 2 big goal post, which dey cannot score in.

Daiz tuh tell yuh how dotish dey is (for de imps and dem I eh talking bout all Americans eh)Dey have many football leagues in south florida and Romario and Zhinio playing right dey in Miami,they had de Fusion  in de MLS and Ft Lauderdale strikers,I feel is becuz they cyar dominate de sport and puff dey chest,dey choose to be ignorant and disrespect it(sound familar) I glad leh dem pelt kick at dey stones becuz some ah dem want to learn and some just cyar accept it. :banginghead: :banginghead:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 09:05:16 PM »
A lot of print and radio bash it to get a raise outta the pubic.They do it to get you mad,then they laugh 
is wicked they wicked,. ;D .

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 09:06:14 PM »
like all things new, it will take alotta time for acceptance....and it doesn't help that the U.S. typically gets a solid ass whoppin' from the World's better teams.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 09:11:46 PM »

Americans like dominance plain and simple . You eh notice when a team wins the NBA ,MLB, NFL   they get the title as world champions!!. They cannot dominate football (soccer) so they will bash it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:15:34 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 09:18:14 PM »
They good butcher we players name in de WC if yuh didn't know better in de first 15mins of de Paraguay game yuh wudda think  is only Dwight and Stern was on de field,everybody was either Yorke or John in dem eyes ... ::) 
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »
If they doh like it they doh like it,Americans doh force the world to like the NFL or Baseball.And ppl always forcing  them tah like "soccer",what"s up with that leave d ppl nah   :rotfl:.It easier to get them to watch "soccer" than to get ah foreigner to watch a ice hockey game ;).PPl like what they like

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 09:54:13 PM »

Americans like dominance plain and simple . You eh notice when a team wins the NBA ,MLB, NFL   they get the title of world champions!!. They cannot dominate football (soccer) so they will bash it.

They slowly getting push away in Basketball and Baseball of lately too. Maybe they might start bashing it soon   ;D  Don't worry who bashing what. Some people just plain narrow minded and subjective when they broasdcast. Goes to show that they are not competent enough for the job.

Kingman

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:25:48 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 10:21:30 PM »
Its about economics padnah. You can't stop a "soccer" game every 5 mins so the sponsors can get airtime. They especially learn't that lesson when the USA was hosting the Worldcup. Because of this, the big networks feel they won't draw much advertising money for soccer, and this is where the big money is for the networks, the Athletes, the sports announcers, everybody. If you notice, The NFL, NBA, NHL etc...all have breaks and timeouts all game long. These are more for TV and the sponsors, than they are for the sport. They were designed this way.

The creators of American Sports felt that the perfect spectator sport involves lots of goals, pure physical matchups, and innovative ways to attract money. Soccer as currently designed is none of this. It is simply "The beautiful game". The American sensibility as far as sports are concerned cannot come to terms with the simple nuances of soccer, ie, the play on the field is about as important as the goals scored. A tie for them just won't do. In American Sports, you cannot for instance say after a Football or basketball game that so and so played better, but just did not win and go away happy. Their sports don't involve enough on field creativity for the pure enjoyment of the fans to make a tie game satisfactory. Someone MUST win every game. Is this better? It's actually debatable.

Not only that, the current Sport announcers have learn't their craft at a time when "Soccer" was not really a big sport in the US. Thus, they know NOTHING about the sport. They have to learn something new that may not be financially beneficial to them so why bother. If cricket started to grow in popularity, it would be met with the same resistance, though cricket is probably a little more sponsor friendly for the TV.

It all boils down to money padnah. The only reason "Soccer" is getting more airtime is because it is too popular now to ignore. If it was up to Americans, the game would change so quickly you wouldn't believe,ie, unlimited subs, no offside(so more goals would score), time outs, no penalty kicks (Sudden death after overtime...there must be a winner).....and so on, all to attract sponsors and create their view of the "perfect spectator sport".

In doing so however, the game will become all about speed, fitness and goals,(actually kinda like whats happening now anyway) and real skill will be lost.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »
They live in ah box if it ain't American it ain't good,i have had countless arguments with several American about our football being the best sport in the WORLD,and as far as someone said in ah post about Africans calling the sport soccer i have 6 african guys that i play football with that refuse to call it soccer so i guess it's not all Africans that call it that.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 01:07:52 AM »
Americans do not appear to like any sport that cannot produce an outright winner every time. For instance, why does the NBA go into OT, if the scores are tied after FT? Simply to ensure someone wins the game I presume. Maybe if all drawn football matches went straight to penalties, Americans may support it more.

Also, I think corporate America do not like the idea of sponsoring a programme and having to wait 45 minutes before the can run their adverts. Without the support of corporate America, the sport cannot develop to the level it is in Europe.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 05:01:23 AM »
Wow ........ok i"ll be the devils advocate and defend them.
So let me get this right,you ppl want americans ,to stop supporting the Boston Red Sox,Philidalphia Eagles,New York Yankees,Deroit Red Wings,Notre Dame,,Duke,Seatle Seahawks ,NY Jets,Nascar,Boston Celtics and Dallas Cowboys.And start supporting Chelsea ,Arsenal and Real Madrid.   ;D
Also I don"t agree with Americans won"t like a sport if they didn"t invent it....well they didn" invent
track,longjump or the other olympic sports or golf,pool,table tennis,darts,lawn tennis,marsial arts,cycling ect.But they love those sports.Or they don"t like" soccer" cause it don"t have enough commercials  ???  Nah i think it's more of a tradition ting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:17:18 AM by Compre »

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 05:20:39 AM »
When i was in USA on holiday a while ago none of them seemed to like football coz they said it was for wimps and real men would play american football and not soccer.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 05:31:15 AM »
LoL ,and did that hurt your feelings  ;D jk :beermug:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:40:40 AM by Compre »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »
The internet is laden with "anti-soccer" sites, I don't understand it. The major theme of the haters is it is a sport that negates physical prowess to give the average weak European a chance to succeed at a sport. Most of them sound too ignorant to even take them seriously. I heard one fella comparing football to eating rice to prove that if something is the most popular doesn't mean it's the best.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 06:41:21 AM »
The internet is laden with "anti-soccer" sites, I don't understand it. The major theme of the haters is it is a sport that negates physical prowess to give the average weak European a chance to succeed at a sport. Most of them sound too ignorant to even take them seriously. I heard one fella comparing football to eating rice to prove that if something is the most popular doesn't mean it's the best.

The internet is laden with everything. That rice analogy is funny !!

What does "best" mean anyway ?....To the majority of the people in the World, it's the best.......doesn't mean it is the absolute best or the best for everyone. I've met people from Brazil who don't really like football......

Those who don't like football.......oh well.......are they really worth an entire thread on a FOOTBALL forum ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 07:26:22 AM »
dem faggots hates immigrants.. and is only us who plays de game... dem faggots feal sey like dem nuh know that dey are also  immigrants. this sissy ass sports them does be playing and calling themselves world champions does mek mi belly cringe.. I does feal like slap dem at wrk everytime dey start talking bout Roundersl. Americans also hate football because it is a fast pace game and they cya call time out..Americans love there "timeout"  This is de reason why I support American football team because they represents Immigrants and I am one... this is de reasons why people who live here should support "AMERICAN FOOTBALL"....

warmonga...
(when i sey football I anint mean the sissy version of rugby , ok)

Black Lives Matter..

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006, 07:37:37 AM »
LoL ,and did that hurt your feelings  ;D jk :beermug:

it did wen dey was sayin shit about them sayin they r de best at everythin, thats wot they want 2 think so they just dont count football ( soccer ) as a real sport

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 07:46:33 AM »
dem faggots hates immigrants.. and is only us who plays de game... dem faggots feal sey like dem nuh know that dey are also  immigrants. this sissy ass sports them does be playing and calling themselves world champions does mek mi belly cringe.. I does feal like slap dem at wrk everytime dey start talking bout Roundersl. Americans also hate football because it is a fast pace game and they cya call time out..Americans love there "timeout"  This is de reason why I support American football team because they represents Immigrants and I am one... this is de reasons why people who live here should support "AMERICAN FOOTBALL"....

warmonga...
(when i sey football I anint mean the sissy version of rugby , ok)

TATA ALERT!!!  TATA ALERT !!!

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

diz de most amount ah bullshit ah read in ah while ....
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 11:00:06 AM »
Can anyone spell S-O-U-R-G-R-A-P-E-S...

They should start bashing basketball and baseball too...the rest of the world kicks their ass there too. Hahahahaha.

Offline fourdjs

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2006, 11:34:14 AM »
Hi,
long time reader, first time poster.

There are two classes of americans that dislike soccer.  The first are the ones that never played the game, or played it very little.   They truly don't understand that game but they are not haters they just don't appreciate the game.   One comment i get is that its dumb because they only use their feet and never their hands.  (keeper dont count).    These are truly the minority.   The majority are the "soccer haters".    They like the others,  don't understand the game, never played it and believe that the US should be the best at everything, and it truly pisses them off when they see how visible the World Cup is internationally, how much passion the rest of the world has for a sport that they just can't compete at this time.   Trust me,  they know that soccer and especially World Cup Soccer has an international appeal that dwarfs any of the other sports that they play,  ie. Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and of course NFL.   

Here in the US, i listen to sports talk radio, and during the world cup the sports radio hosts are the most pissed off soccer haters.   They attack it with such anger calling all their listening audience to join in  thier tirade about how stupid soccer is.  It really is quite funny to listen to.    Its kind of like they know it is catching on and that they are going to do everything in their power to beat it down.   

Offline skatetackle

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »
Reason is that they cannot find a way to dominate it so they slam it. Setup two goal and put ah weapon in their hands and then they go appreciate it!

1]; } ?>