March 28, 2024, 03:13:17 AM

Author Topic: Best ever T&T XI  (Read 16082 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Best ever T&T XI
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2006, 12:56:05 PM »
I have decided to make  list of my best ever 11 for T&T .

Shaka Hislop

Anthony Rougier

Brian Williams                                                                                      Marvin Faustin

Marvin Andrews

Ronnie Mauge                           Leroy DeLeon

Russell Latapy                          David Nakhid

Steve David                            Warren Archibald

Who is the local coach to add to the mix? Gally, BSC or SH?!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Best ever T&T team?
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »
Apologies if there's an older thread, couldn't find it. If you had to select an 11 with 5 subs who would you pick? Too ignorant right now to answer that, but definitely interested in hearing some opinions on the best the twin-isles had to offer.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
Nice topic ,this  is a subject  to last for decades... i have to admit too many excellent  players i've seen wear the red, white and black to name a best T&T XI . ah mean really good players .... Trinidad and Tobago is blessed with  real home grown  talent no doubt about that.....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
Nice topic ,this  is a subject  to last for decades... i have to admit too many excellent  players i've seen wear the red, white and black to name a best T&T XI . ah mean really good players .... Trinidad and Tobago is blessed with  real home grown  talent no doubt about that.....

It is difficult to pick a best XI, because of so many talented players that came thru.

XI vs Argentina in PanAm games 67.
XI vs Mexico in Haiti 73 for 74 WC
XI vs USA in Torrance for Italy WC
XI vs Bahrain in Bahrain
XI vs Sweden in Germany
XI vs England in Gemany

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:03 AM »

It is difficult to pick a best XI, because of so many talented players that came thru.

XI vs Argentina in PanAm games 67.
XI vs Mexico in Haiti 73 for 74 WC
XI vs USA in Torrance for Italy WC
XI vs Bahrain in Bahrain
XI vs Sweden in Germany
XI vs England in Gemany

Well you could start with what XI you think was the best out of that lot, then look at the team and decide who you could substitute. For England, I actually think our WC winning team had some considerable weaknesses ('Wingless wonders' after all), so I'm happy to sub in greats like Sir Tommy Finny (RIP, "Tom Finney should claim income tax relief ... for his 10 dependents.") and Sir Stanley Matthews (these two were probably the best footballers ever to play, because off the pitch these guys were perfect gentlemen and total professionals).

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »

Every thing is relative to the period ....

Check a nice read for the old timers by Professor Courtenay Bartholomew Date Published: 2010-12-08 Source: Trinidad Express

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Football_in_the_Savannah-111501984.html

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
My best TnT team ( started going games as a kid so from 98' onwards)

----------------------------------Shaka-----------------

----Cyd--------------Andrews----------Lawrence----------A.John

----------------------Dwight-----------Birchall

-------Carlos------------------Latapy---------------Dwarika

-------------------------------Stern

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
Like dtool said, everything is relative. Banton picked his team based on his age. I would not disagree with his choice because these guys played with heart to make it on the big stage. But I could also say Bert Grell could have played as a stopper or defensive mid-field with ease on that team. But Bert was from a different era. Football was different.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2017, 06:19:25 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F0Kiojie5QY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F0Kiojie5QY</a>

Goalkeeper:
Lincoln Phillips

Defenders:
Marvin Faustin, Selwyn Murren, Clayton Morris, Brian Williams

Midfielders:
Russell Latapy, Everald Cummings, Leroy De Leon

Forwards:
Warren Archibald, Dwight Yorke, Steve David
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:48:45 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »
Would have liked to have seen the guests build their XIs prior to filming. In my view, that would have permitted the discussion to be more penetrating than it was. Nevertheless, some golden nuggets still emerged.

Tallman, what's the distribution of caps among the guests?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
No Bert Grell?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
Marvin or Clayton.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Tallman, what's the distribution of caps among the guests?

Steve David (16)
Alvin Henderson - no data
Anthony Rougier (67)
Anthony Clarke (only played out football for T&T)
Narmada Wilson (never represented T&T at football)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
Marvin or Clayton.

But ent Grell was ah midfielder?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2017, 01:53:02 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F0Kiojie5QY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F0Kiojie5QY</a>

Goalkeeper:
Lincoln Phillips

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Forwards:
no stern John in that forward line up the highest goal scorer of all times in a red jersey and no molino and David nakid in that midfield?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »

Goalkeeper:
Lincoln Phillips

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Forwards:
no stern John in that forward line up the highest goal scorer of all times in a red jersey and no molino and David nakid in that midfield?

Lincoln Phillips, I never see him play, so its hard to say how good he was, but I will go with de majority.

Marvin Faustin, yes, left back, maybe Richard Theodore too.

Selwyn Murren,  I never see him play, so its hard to say how good he was, but I will go with de majority.

Clayton Morris, yes

Brian Williams, yes.

Russell Latapy, yes.

Everald Cummings,  I never see him play, so its hard to say how good he was, but I will go with de majority.

Leroy De Leon,  I never see him play, so its hard to say how good he was, but I will go with de majority.

Warren Archibald,  I never see him play, so its hard to say how good he was, but I will go with de majority.
Dwight Yorke, Yes for Man Utd. I prefer Stern John.

Steve David,  I never see him play, so its hard to say how good he was, but I will go with de majority. Ah feel Arnold Dwarika could be a good back up or even better he he days, he is only we top 3 goalscorers of all times for T&T even though he was a midfielder.

David Nakhid need ah mention, we best defensive midfielder ever.

And I feel Carlos Edwards could give  De Leon, a run for he spot.

Phillips
Faustin
Morris
Murren
Williams
Archibald
Nakhid
Latapy
Edwards
Stern
Dwarika

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »
Marvin or Clayton.

But ent Grell was ah midfielder?

Bert was a utility player. Could play anywhere in the back line and played a defensive midfield. Probably that maybe a problem trying to select him for a specific position. Then after the concacaf tournament  fiasco in 69, Bert never played for TT again. If allyuh selecting Archie and Dilly(two of my favorites) from that era, then Bert should be there.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
It is very difficult to pick the best players ever. The circumstances at the time are different.  Guys in the the 60s never get to play national like England, Brazil, etc. The played plenty club team who came on tour.  TT did play Arg. in two PanAm games in the 60s and 70s. I don't know how you qualify that.   Each best XI should be selected by the decade. Then there are players who straddle two different decades.

Sam says that Nakhid was the best defensive mid-field player TT had. I beg to differ.  Maybe against Caribbean teams. Not against the concacaf teams. I think he was one of the best  distributors of the ball. If Nakhid and Latas playing in the middle, I would prefer a defensive midfielder to be present because them two eh putting in hard tackles to win ball. I have seen Dwight, Latas, David play in WC in Virginia, and the US neutralized our middle and won 2-0.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:43:03 PM by Deeks »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
Richard Theodore was a central defender but also played as a right back.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
i agree with every thing except phillips.

i think earl spiderman carter was our best keeper ever!! better than lovell who was boss, better than murice and better than the flying dutchman who was a legend in the semi pro league who never got a look at by the national selectors.

and wham tuh sammy Llewellyn man? that bredda was poison in his time. sammy is ah must.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
Yep, Sammy was a boss player. He should be there too. And Carter is a legit choice also.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
It is very difficult to pick the best players ever. The circumstances at the time are different.  Guys in the the 60s never get to play national like England, Brazil, etc. The played plenty club team who came on tour.  TT did play Arg. in two PanAm games in the 60s and 70s. I don't know how you qualify that.   Each best XI should be selected by the decade. Then there are players who straddle two different decades.

Sam says that Nakhid was the best defensive mid-field player TT had. I beg to differ.  Maybe against Caribbean teams. Not against the concacaf teams. I think he was one of the best  distributors of the ball. If Nakhid and Latas playing in the middle, I would prefer a defensive midfielder to be present because them two eh putting in hard tackles to win ball. I have seen Dwight, Latas, David play in WC in Virginia, and the US neutralized our middle and won 2-0.

1996!  Drove 10 hours to see that game from Atlanta, was royally pissed at the end result
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>