April 27, 2024, 09:19:02 PM

Author Topic: Arena Out as US Coach  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Arena Out as US Coach
« on: July 14, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »
that side was doomed before they kick a ball. group was too hard for them.

bring back bora!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/national/2006-07-14-arena-contract_x.htm?csp=34

U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati announced today that Bruce Arena's contract as coach will not be renewed when it expires at the end of 2006, ending his eight-year tenure as the team's head coach.
Arena had been under fire ever since the U.S. squad failed to make it out of group play at the World Cup.

Arena is the longest-serving and most successful coach in the history of the U.S. men?s national team, earning 71 victories and compiling a .658 winning percentage, both all-time team records.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Out as US Coach
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 11:23:33 AM »
De man might be arrogant and ting but if he is not being brought back because of the US performance at the World Cup then someone in the US federation was truly believing dem FIFA rankings.  Dat team was not as good as in past years.

I say bring back Sampson. ;D

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:41:31 AM »
Really and truly Arena did a good job with this team i think he took them where they needed to be just they need a new man to give that little extra.
faact is no US coach ever make it to the quarters of a WC.  he wasn't afraid to give the youngsters a chance is what i really liked about him.
Heard a rumor he is going to NY red bulls

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
Really and truly Arena did a good job with this team i think he took them where they needed to be just they need a new man to give that little extra.
faact is no US coach ever make it to the quarters of a WC. he wasn't afraid to give the youngsters a chance is what i really liked about him.
Heard a rumor he is going to NY red bulls

Yeah Red Bulls need some kinda iinjection of life.  That market is too big and the franchise has too much money to be underperforming. 

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »
we will see klinsi in HC come 2009 lol

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »
If I may suggest Arena as TT coach what alyuh woulda think bout that..

The man have a winning record.

he plays a good style of ball.

and for those who say the Americans have no skill......

Imagine the man does churn out results with a pack of shithounds.

Imagine if he get players the calibre of the warriors under his guidance  ;D

Forget whim and Anton....Lets get Arena ;D

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 12:39:54 PM »
The thing is, he rolling with the "USA Stigma" hovering over him now. I really don't see him getting hired by a country other than the US. Allyuh think this is the end of his international career?
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »
The thing is, he rolling with the "USA Stigma" hovering over him now. I really don't see him getting hired by a country other than the US. Allyuh think this is the end of his international career?

No.  He is a good coach.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »

costa rica hired (and fired) steve sampson.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »
He would be a good fit for Jamaica.  I think dem want somebody higher profile tho.  But de RBZ could do a lot worse.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »
He would be a good fit for Jamaica.  I think dem want somebody higher profile tho.  But de RBZ could do a lot worse.

He would be a VERY good fit for Jamaica.  I like our choice in Wim.  It provides continuity and a Dutch presence which has seemed to help our standard of football.

Klinnsman really looking like the odds on favourite for the US Head Coach job now.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
trust me he has done as much as he can as the us coach they need to move on with a fresh start and a major overhauling of their football style, it sucks and clearly could not work at the world cup.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:51:10 PM »

Fruity arena as de northerners coach go be an interesting mix....yuh know dem doh like to see man walking wit dey hand on dey hips an ting.... :devil: :devil: :devil:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »
He will be replaced by Klinnsman....you heard it here first!!!!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 09:03:30 PM »

well dont bruce  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i wating long to see u pop down

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 11:15:28 PM »
If I may suggest Arena as TT coach what alyuh woulda think bout that..

The man have a winning record.

he plays a good style of ball.

and for those who say the Americans have no skill......

Imagine the man does churn out results with a pack of shithounds.

Imagine if he get players the calibre of the warriors under his guidance  ;D

Forget whim and Anton....Lets get Arena ;D
 we players might start calling football soccer and after what Bruce said about our country being in the world cup he will never get my support.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 12:11:03 AM »

No.  He is a good coach.

I think Trinidad would be lucky to get him but I think Arena might be no match for Whim and the dutch style of play. It surely out-does the US plain jane but semi effective way of play.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 12:13:42 AM »
He will be replaced by Klinnsman....you heard it here first!!!!!

Eh Eh we hear that long time.

But ah go give you the title of the FIRST one to say it TODAY :devil:

truetrini

Arena's magic was all smoke and mirrors
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 06:14:29 AM »

Jamie Trecker / Fox Soccer Channel

Ex-U.S. men's national team soccer coach Bruce Arena probably owes his international legacy to the best player he never had.

U.S. Soccer in the spotlight

Arena's contract was left unrenewed today by U.S. Soccer after a dismal 2006 World Cup showing that saw his tactics, personality and selections challenged. U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati lauded the ex-coach on Friday even as he kicked him out the door by saying Arena was responsible for "giving the sport credibility" and thanked him for making the American team a success.

Common sense says Arena leaves the job much better than he found it. When he arrived on the job in 1998, he took over a badly split team that had finished dead last in the 1998 Cup in France. Eight years later, American soccer is more respectable than ever, isn't it?

No, it isn't, and the phrases that Gulati charitably tried to bestow upon the man he was chopping today ring hollow to any observer who has closely followed this team.

Take attendance, a simple measure of attention: When Arena arrived on the scene, the national team routinely drew 50-60,000 people. As he leaves it today, it draws closer to 30,000.

Bruce Arena could only throw up his hands in despair as the USA went three and out at the World Cup. (Friedemann Vogel/Staff / Getty Images)

Can it be that Arena improved a team yet somehow attracted fewer fans to see this better product?

It is also hard to believe that American sports fans care about the two Gold Cup titles the men won under Arena (in 2002 and 2005) — it's quite clear that for most, these games simply don't exist. They weren't available on English language television unless you were willing to pay for them, and neither Cup win got much in the way of attention outside the soccer community.

No: American fans showed this year they care about success at the World Cup, and before the mythology is allowed to gel, fans should reminded that Arena did not take the team out of the first round in 2002 without some huge help.

A man named Park Ji-Sung did, and he plays for South Korea.

In 2002, on the final day of group play, the USA gained their berth in the second round thanks to the South Korean striker's 70th minute goal against a then 9-man Portugal. At the same time, the USA was busy throwing away their game, 3-1 to Poland, one of the worst sides in the tournament after having opened with a terrific win over Portugal, then escaped with a somewhat fortunate 1-1 draw against the hosts. Don't believe it: Watch that tape again see the South Koreans miss a sitter in the final minutes that would have changed recent American soccer history.

That was, in fact, a very typical American performance under Arena, who produced a squad that was capable of playing mesmerizing soccer one day, then confounding even the most die-hard fans with execrable performances the next. Arena's admittedly impressive 71-30-29 lifetime record is somewhat illusory; it obscures the fact that under Arena, the men were unable to shed their inability to win big matches in Europe or in Mexico City — arguably the places where U.S. soccer still has the most to prove.

While Arena clearly could make players believe they could perform, it was also clear that his bag of tricks was limited, and that he is not any more the psychological master of the game than the oft-derided Bora Milutinovic. Arena believed stridently that he could out-coach any team; Milutinovic was smart enough to realize that the American players were too incompletely developed to grasp tactical play and instead concentrated on putting them in roles where they could shine.

The differences were clear: When Arena got that lucky bounce in 2002, he wore it as if it were armor. And when his luck ran out, he was left to blame others.

To be fair to Arena, the coach walked into a chaotic situation in 1998 and worked hard to give the national team a different feel. His teams played hard the full 90 minutes and completely dominated weak regional opposition when they had poor teams on the run. He produced a team that could travel into Central America (with Mexico the notable exception) and the Caribbean and play its own game.

In addition, Arena's Americans could take on high quality visiting opposition and win at home. Even though the FIFA No. 5 rating was always wildly optimistic, there are few teams in the world who would be guaranteed a victory on United States soil. That's hugely different from even 15 years ago and much of that credit must go to Arena's watch.

But the reason Arena is gone today is because he could not accomplish the one mission left from 2002: He had four years to win important games in Europe to get his team ready for Germany 2006. It never happened. True, the ledger will show lots of wins on American soil — often against opposition far below the highest class — but there are no road victories over Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Holland, Germany, Italy Portugal or Spain to celebrate. Those are the types of nations the U.S. must defeat on the road if it wants true international respect.

Arena, a prickly man who won few fans in the business with his attitude, concealed a deep nervousness and insecurity about these failures with an almost laughable arrogance. That insecurity exploded in Germany this year when he ripped his club after their 3-0 loss to the Czech Republic in a way that made the players' failures seem almost as if they were a deeply personal insult. When the USA lost to Ghana, he blamed the referees, not the fact that his squad had managed just four shots all tournament.

Blame was a constant under Arena. While fiercely protective of his players, everyone else was fair game. Arena did make make some MLS players better during their times at national team camp, but he blamed the American league for all number of failings while doing little to shore up a youth system bled dry.

While he was graced with some solid talent playing abroad, he too often failed to improve them and more often than not, gave nothing back. The players that went over under Arena's watch — Landon Donovan, Cory Gibbs, Tony Sanneh, Clint Mathis — more often than not, came back swiftly.

What Arena's real legacy, however, may be is that he created a situation eerily reminiscent of the one he inherited from Steve Sampson. Whoever takes over as coach must confront a split team with retiring veterans. The advantage Arena had, however, won't likely be around for his successor.

Arena was fortunate enough to have a crop of young, quality players coming through the ranks. Donovan, Beasley and Pablo Mastroeni all blossomed on his watch in 2002 and seemed to foretell a bright future. Yet those same players failed him, badly, in 2006, and there are no replacements on the horizon.

What World Cup 2006 did show was that the American sports public is ready to embrace a national team that can play and beat the best. The media was ready to chronicle the achievement and the television ratings show that people were tuning in. All of that might be enough to lure a big-name coach with the thought that America is no longer a soccer backwater. If you can give credit to Arena for that, then he perhaps deserves the biggest thank you possible.

But it is also true that Gulati's decision to move on was a no-brainer.

In the end, Arena did do all he could. He didn't always perform with grace and a smile, but you cannot fault his effort. Unfortunately, as American fans found out this year, on the field, effort isn't enough.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Arena's magic was all smoke and mirrors
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 06:41:29 AM »
This article all back and forth.
Living in VA I've seen Arena coach from college to the MLS to the US team, and know that the man could coach, regardless of his attitude. But, like most of the coaches in this world, he ain't the greatest.

What I like about this article is the acknoledgement that the 2002 WC was part luck (Korea) part skill (Portugal 3-1) but then, that's every tournament.

What I don't like is the idea that you coach up a bunch of guys, they get noticed and picked up by Euro teams and then fall flat, and somehow you're responsible for that? Did Arena make Donovan shitty?
McBride seems to be doing quite well in the EPL. But say what, in the end, as the coach, all the blame falls on you.

And check it, I you win all your home games in the Hex, you're in the World Cup, What a great problem to have - I can qaulify for every World Cup, but then i need to get over the next hurdle.

As for american "fans" Most claim to like sports, but they only like the spectacle, and only if thier team is winning. So a smaller tournament like the Gold cup? not enough prestige, so winning it doh count.  (the tv thing doh help either - thanks Jack!) They feel they should be winning the World cup and all esle is boo

The biggest problems for US soccer are:
1. The MLS is a shit league. When it started, they had lots of skilled imports to complement the hard working yanks, no doubt, the 2002 crop learned form them. Now the entire league is a kick-and-run, defend-hard league, no beauty, no flair, no development of the players they need.

2. The players they need are in the USA already, but unless Fox News talking about it, nobody notices the millions of immigrants who love the game and posess the elusive element needed to make the difference. Instead of scouting the colleges, who produce the same level of kick-and-run crap. Too much rigid football, too much structure. They need to start looking at the hispanic leagues, and the african leagues, and the west indian leagues. We'll all bitch and moan about how they are pulling in non-american players, but they'll get what they are looking for.

As for Arena. I'd put him to coach my club team. He'll dig up players you never heard of, they'll play a very nice game and win a lot.

Yeah, he's still an assh%$
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:44:47 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline cascabel

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 07:44:32 AM »
The players they need are in the USA already, but unless Fox News talking about it, nobody notices the millions of immigrants who love the game and posess the elusive element needed to make the difference. Instead of scouting the colleges, who produce the same level of kick-and-run crap. Too much rigid football, too much structure. They need to start looking at the hispanic leagues, and the african leagues, and the west indian leagues. We'll all bitch and moan about how they are pulling in non-american players, but they'll get what they are looking for.

:beermug:   Hear, hear!!    :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Arena's magic was all smoke and mirrors
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
The biggest problems for US soccer are:
1. The MLS is a shit league. When it started, they had lots of skilled imports to complement the hard working yanks, no doubt, the 2002 crop learned form them. Now the entire league is a kick-and-run, defend-hard league, no beauty, no flair, no development of the players they need.

2. The players they need are in the USA already, but unless Fox News talking about it, nobody notices the millions of immigrants who love the game and posess the elusive element needed to make the difference. Instead of scouting the colleges, who produce the same level of kick-and-run crap. Too much rigid football, too much structure. They need to start looking at the hispanic leagues, and the african leagues, and the west indian leagues. We'll all bitch and moan about how they are pulling in non-american players, but they'll get what they are looking for.

I forever hearin dis mantra dat MLS is a "shit league".  Now you makin some decent points.  You outline why you thinkin de MLS is a shit league.  Now I eh agree entirely with you re: the MLS bein a "shit league".  But it seem to me dat if de league is jes a "run and kick league" as you state, then the problem may not be the league but the coaching.

I have a few questions tho:  MLS is a shit league compared to what?  If it eh EPL, La Liga, or Il Scudetto...is it a shit league?  Is de Bundesliga a shit league?  SPL?  Eredivisie?  Portugese League?  What would you consider MLS to be the equivalent of?

Is it better than the PFL?  Would our players be better off playing in PFL than in MLS?  Is Scott Sealey for example a better player now playing in the MLS than if he were playing at Wrexham for example?

What's your criteria for a "non shit league"?

Where does MLS fall short in your opinion?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 10:04:24 AM »
oh lawd

Arena gets boot, offer

BY MICHAEL LEWIS
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Bruce Arena 

One door closed for Bruce Arena yesterday. But he is in a position to open a new one today.
Arena, the most successful men's coach in U.S. Soccer history, won't have his contract renewed at the end of the year.

However, the 54-year-old Arena might not be unemployed for very long if he accepts an offer from the Red Bulls, who have approached him to coach the struggling MLS team.

He has until today to make a decision, according to league sources. If Arena joins the Red Bulls, he would want total control as director of soccer operations and coach of the cellar-dwelling team, which improved to 3-8-6 after yesterday's 1-0 win over the Colorado Rapids.

If a statement Arena made was any indication, he might not take the Bulls' position. "I am planning to take some time off to weigh my future opportunities," he said.

That led one educated MLS source to speculate that Arena could accept the Bulls' position but wait until next season to jump in while interim coach Richie Williams directs the team the rest of this season.

Arena, who directed the U.S. to a surprising quarterfinal appearance at the 2002 World Cup, did not fare as well in Germany last month as the Americans were bounced after a disappointing 0-2-1 first-round showing.

"Eight years is a long period," U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said during a conference call. "I'm not saying we need to change direction; the direction Bruce set is very positive. But having a fresh approach ... is the strongest factor."

A worldwide search for a successor will begin immediately, Gulati said. The name of former German coach Juergen Klinsmann surfaced as a possiblility. Klinsmann, who lives in California, resigned this week after guiding Germany to a surprising third-place Cup finish.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 12:13:48 PM »
I forever hearin dis mantra dat MLS is a "shit league".  Now you makin some decent points.  You outline why you thinkin de MLS is a shit league.  Now I eh agree entirely with you re: the MLS bein a "shit league".  But it seem to me dat if de league is jes a "run and kick league" as you state, then the problem may not be the league but the coaching.

I have a few questions tho:  MLS is a shit league compared to what?  If it eh EPL, La Liga, or Il Scudetto...is it a shit league?  Is de Bundesliga a shit league?  SPL?  Eredivisie?  Portugese League?  What would you consider MLS to be the equivalent of?

Is it better than the PFL?  Would our players be better off playing in PFL than in MLS?  Is Scott Sealey for example a better player now playing in the MLS than if he were playing at Wrexham for example?

What's your criteria for a "non shit league"?

Where does MLS fall short in your opinion?

I used to like the MLS, but somewhere along the way, they lost the plot. It's possible that playing in the summer is too hot. Coaching is a big factor. The coaches out here are about results. 10 1-nill wins is better than 4 3-2 wins and 5 3-2 losses. From a fans perspective, I want to see ball knock. Jogo Bonito, Anything below the premier division in europe is crap.
South american leagues are pretty entertaining, Central american... tata!

But then it depends on your expectations, a sunday afternoon game in book can be quite good, while watching Chelsea play is painful.

As for player development, it's actually a benifit to us.
Our players have the jogo bonito, but lack dicipline (which is why a dutch coach works so well for us now) so we gain the knowledge of structure.

It doesn't work the other way around you can't learn flair from a coach.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Red Bulls snap up Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 11:17:54 AM »
Red Bulls snap up Arena
By Andrew Scurr (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 18th July

Former USA national team coach Bruce Arena has been named head coach and sporting director of MLS side New York Red Bulls.

Arena was relieved of his duties with The Stars and Stripes after a disappointing World Cup campaign in Germany that saw them fail to reach the knock-out stages.

The Red Bulls were without a coach after Mo Johnson was dismissed following a poor start to the current season and Arena will be handed the task of bringing glory to one of the MLS' most high-profile sides.

The 54-year-old has spent the last eight years as USA's national team coach and guided the North Americans to two World Cup finals.

His most famous period in charge saw his youthful line-up reach the quarter-finals in 2002 as well as the lofty heights of fifth in Fifa's official world rankings.

However, with just one point from their three games at Germany 2006, the US Soccer Federation decided it was time for a change and Arena was not offered a new contract.

Arena had previously led DC United to back-to-back championships in 1996 and 1997 and Red Bulls fans will be looking to the former University of Virginia head coach to bring success to New York.

The Brooklyn-born tactician will take charge of all soccer operations, including first team, reserve team, academy teams and youth development.

Arena's first game in charge will be a friendly against Spanish giants Barcelona on August 12.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 12:33:30 PM »
Note how Arena will assume full control over ALL of the Red Bulls teams.  This may be a serious attempt to establish a legitimate pipeline of talent from within.  I assume that he will purge some of the lower level coaching staff and bring in legitimate coaches.  I say this because I know some of the coaches that have been associated with coaching at the lower level of the Red Bulls, and I will say that I question their aptitude to coach at that level, especially for  a professional tema that shoudl be bringing talent through to the senior level of the franchise.  Knowing Arena, it was either going to be FULL CONTROL OR NO CONTROL.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 12:52:59 PM »
Ah go send Arena ah e-mail, informing him dat Tobago United need a coach.  ;D
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Diana 18

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »
trinidad and tobago with Arena . . .  ::) >:( noooo jajajaj sorry  but . .  don´t like me the idea jajajaj :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Burning candles in our hands
Holding vigil in your glider
Pulling planets from the sand
Heart of honey you're my vise

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 01:11:38 PM »
   :rotfl:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:49:19 PM »

No.  He is a good coach.
this is de end fuh arena.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>