April 28, 2024, 09:38:56 PM

Author Topic: Zizou and Materazzi both banned  (Read 4518 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Zizou and Materazzi both banned
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
well well well, at least zidane ent have tuh worry bout playing again!!

www.skysports.com

France legend Zinedine Zidane has been handed a three-match ban for his World Cup final headbutt on Marco Materazzi, whilst the Italy stopper has received a two-match suspension for his part in the unsavoury incident.

Three time Fifa World Player of the Year Zidane brought his illustrious career to a close on a shameful note as he thrust his head into the chest of his Italian adversary to earn a red card in extra time of The Azzurri's victory in Berlin on July 9.

The controversial incident attracted intense focus and Materazzi was forced to defend himself against accusations that he provoked Zidane using insults directed towards the Frenchman's mother and sister.

Although the defender denied insulting Zidane's mother both players were called to a Fifa hearing in Zurich, and after the former Real Madrid midfielder stated his case on Thursday punishments have been handed out to both parties.

Despite retiring from professional football Zidane has been banned for three games, although he will spend three days carrying out community service with Fifa instead, as well as being fined 7,500 Swiss Francs (£3,260).

Materazzi has received a two-game ban, ruling him out of Italy's first two qualifiers for the 2008 European Championships which come against Lithuania on September 2 and France four days later.

The Internazionale star has also been fined 5,000 Swiss Francs (£2,170) for his role in provoking Zidane into the famous attack, whilst both players acknowledged that the defender's comments were not of a racist nature.

"Zinedine Zidane has agreed to do community service work with children and youngsters," read a statement from Fifa.

"As Zidane has now retired from international football, the committee took note of Zidane's pledge to do three days of community service work with children and youngsters as part of Fifa's humanitarian activities.

"In their statements, both players stressed that Materazzi's comments had been defamatory but not of a racist nature.

"During the course of their hearings both players also apologised to Fifa for their inappropriate behaviour and expressed their regret at the incident."

Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren also confirmed that the fourth official had not seen the incident on a television replay before informing referee Horacio Elizondo, as had been suggested in some quarters, after both officials spoke with the disciplinary committee.

"I would like to reiterate that the fourth official saw the incident with his own eyes and did not see it on the monitor.

"The fourth officials are trained to see off-the-ball incidents and not just concentrate on the action where the referee is involved and the regulations state they are to report any violent incident to the referee."

Following the controversy Zidane will, however, keep the Golden Ball award he won for being the World Cup's best player, despite indications from Fifa president Sepp Blatter that he could be stripped of the accolade.

"It [taking the prize away from Zidane] wasn't even discussed at the meeting," Herren stated.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Zizou and Materazzi both banned
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:59:23 AM »
ah like this story, it have ah real happy ending!!

dem sounding like dey real kiss and make up!!

ah love it!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:03:52 AM »
I really, really don't agree with the banning Materazzi part... Terrible precedent set by FIFA...

In de semis, de ref give a call and zidane call de man "hijo de puta" which means son of a whore.. Where's the inquest here?? When totti spit on de danish man, christian poulsen, it was to retaliate to some abuse, where was the inquest there???

EPL this year, lewwe watch rooney reel off every cuss in de book on de ref for bad call... Lewwe watch de linesmen in spain get called "hijo de puta" left right and center...

FIFA only acted cause its zidane, i still think his actions were inexcusable... If they ban materazzi for provoking, i hope cause their disciplinary committee have real wuk coming their way...

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:09:23 AM »
It also sounding like Materrazzi admitted saying something that FIFA deemed suffucicent enough to warrant a 2 match. I feel they know exactly what was said but closing the matter.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
Omarldinho, where did you get this
" In de semis, de ref give a call and zidane call de man "hijo de puta" which means son of a whore.. Where's the inquest here?? When totti spit on de danish man, christian poulsen, it was to retaliate to some abuse, where was the inquest there???"
Could you post the link. Thank you

Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 09:13:33 AM »
Omarldinho, where did you get this
" In de semis, de ref give a call and zidane call de man "hijo de puta" which means son of a whore.. Where's the inquest here?? When totti spit on de danish man, christian poulsen, it was to retaliate to some abuse, where was the inquest there???"
Could you post the link. Thank you

read it in an article either on bbc or the independent i will look to see if i can find it and post it otherwise just take my word for it on this one   ;)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 09:16:47 AM »
It also sounding like Materrazzi admitted saying something that FIFA deemed suffucicent enough to warrant a 2 match. I feel they know exactly what was said but closing the matter.

I agree with you jayerson.  I think they did banned matterazi to deter further incidents of provocation!!

ah love it!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:20:40 AM »
Zidane shoulda lost the Golden Ball as well......

No way should a player who was ejected in the final for such an action in addition to being suspended previously in the same tournamt for 2 yellows be the World Cup's MVP......I love Zizou, but that eh right.

The ban is academic because Zidane has retired.........a 3 grand fine to Zidane is like a shilling falling outta my pocket....... and we know that FIFA community service will be a big joke.......

....ultimately Zidane has not been punished

This was one big waste of time pappy show
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:36:14 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 09:30:41 AM »
Look de beginning of de article here.... feel free to pay de £1 if you want to read de rest of it...

Joan Smith: Zidane a hero? No. He has struck a blow for misogyny

http://comment.independent.co.uk/columnists_m_z/joan_smith/article1180164.ece

He could have treated the insult with contempt and walked away
Published: 16 July 2006
Professional footballers describe each other as hijo de puta (son of a whore) all the time. They do not mean it literally, and the captain of France, Zinedine Zidane, who was sent off after butting an Italian defender during the World Cup final, can hardly complain about being the recipient of an insult he himself is said to have employed against two referees during the tournament.

I suppose we have to entertain the possibility of linguistic confusion here; I cannot help wondering whether Zidane thought Marco Materazzi had described his mother as an amica di Prescott, which would be truly awful.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »

Professional footballers describe each other as hijo de puta (son of a whore) all the time.

that eh sounding like football that sounding more like form 1 Fatima where modda talk was the order of the day

Més que un club.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »
farce...

plus Zidane was never the best player in the tournament anyway. shoulda never even come close to winning the golden ball. Was not great in the first 2 games...banned for the 3rd. Ok against Spain. Brilliant against Brazilch, decent against Portugirls and very good against Germany until the shameful headbutt. FIFA is run by a pack of shithongs...but we cool so long as Concacaf keep that half a spot  ;D.
Materazzi right to get banned. Some men go watch their mouth now. Others will not, but who cares...catch who you can. But banning him was ll becasue the recipient was Zidane...the untouchable. And what kinda fines is that...steeups..best they make de man do 40 pushups and done. Jokers
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:19:04 AM by Filho »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 10:19:38 AM »
farce...

plus Zidane was never the best player in the tournament anyway. shoulda never even come close to winning the golden ball. Was not great in the first 2 games...banned for the 3rd. Ok against Spain. briliant against Brazil, decent against Portugal and very good against Germany until the shameful headbutt.

against Italy
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 10:49:05 AM »

good for both of them.

glad to see situation resolved

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 11:13:09 AM »
I really, really don't agree with the banning Materazzi part... Terrible precedent set by FIFA...

In de semis, de ref give a call and zidane call de man "hijo de puta" which means son of a whore.. Where's the inquest here?? When totti spit on de danish man, christian poulsen, it was to retaliate to some abuse, where was the inquest there???

EPL this year, lewwe watch rooney reel off every cuss in de book on de ref for bad call... Lewwe watch de linesmen in spain get called "hijo de puta" left right and center...

FIFA only acted cause its zidane, i still think his actions were inexcusable... If they ban materazzi for provoking, i hope cause their disciplinary committee have real wuk coming their way...

I agree with Omarldinho FIFA only step in because of the Worldwide condemnation of Zidane's actions by footballers and especially non-footballers alike. Many onlookers felt what Materazzi said had to be soo bad to warrant such an action by Zidane. But dat is rubbish, Zidane lose his cool unprofessionally  and FIFA bite the chain. So every retaliatory action now in a game, someone gonna complain that they were provked into such an action as an excuse and will demand that FIFA treat their case alike. Rooney could say the balls stamp was cuz of repeated insults from the Portugese players  saying his mudda give birth to a Shrek! U'll seeing what type of ridiculous cases we cud get in the future ?

FIFA bow to Worldwide pressure from people who probably didn't even watch a WC cup but saw the headbutt over and over on their evening news and were apalled and demanded a amicable solution for all involved.

Maybe FIFA should moderate in the Israeli-Lebanon-Gaza Crisis !! STEUPS
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:16:25 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »
farce...

plus Zidane was never the best player in the tournament anyway. shoulda never even come close to winning the golden ball. Was not great in the first 2 games...banned for the 3rd. Ok against Spain. briliant against Brazil, decent against Portugal and very good against Germany until the shameful headbutt.

against Italy

right..right..thanks for the correction

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »
Inter concern over Materazzi ban  [/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5202724.stm

Materazzi will miss Italy's next two matches because of a Fifa ban
Inter Milan president Giacinto Facchetti fears Fifa has set a worrying precedent after banning Marco Materazzi for insulting Zinedine Zidane.
Fifa handed Italy defender Materazzi a two-game ban for his part in Frenchman Zidane's World Cup final dismissal.

But Inter president Facchetti backed his player insisting: "Cases like this rewrite laws and create precedents.

"It forces disciplinary committees to call both players involved in provoking reactions and reactions."

Zidane was handed a three-match suspension for the dramatic headbutt on Materazzi that led to his sending-off, the standard penalty for violent conduct.

I wish to underline the disproportion for the penalty inflicted on Materazzi

Inter Milan president Giacinto Facchetti 

However, as the 34-year-old has retired he will instead spend three days doing humanitarian work for Fifa.

But following an investigation, Materazzi was also punished with a two-game ban and fined £2,170 after being found guilty of provoking Zidane.

Facchetti added: "While the respect and the consideration I have for Fifa remains, I wish to underline the disproportion for the penalty inflicted on Materazzi and the one inflicted on the French player."

Guido Rossi, the man brought in to clean up the game in Italy after the recent corruption scandal, hinted that the Italian Football Federation would not appeal against Materazzi's ban.

The judgement rules the 32-year-old out of the Azzurri's Euro 2008 qualifiers against Lithuania on 2 September and France four days later in a rematch of the World Cup final.

Rossi said: "The definitive verdict of the Fifa disciplinary committee will be respected by us.

"But the episode will remain consigned to the TV images and to the public opinion of the entire world."

Zidane spent 90 minutes at his private Fifa hearing on Thursday, while Materazzi appeared before a separate Fifa panel on 14 July.

He maintained throughout his hearing that his comments to Zidane were neither "racist, religious, or political" and he added: "I also said nothing about his mother."

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 07:04:02 AM »
Inter concern over Materazzi ban  [/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5202724.stm

But Inter president Facchetti backed his player insisting: "Cases like this rewrite laws and create precedents.

"It forces disciplinary committees to call both players involved in provoking reactions and reactions."

The judgement rules the 32-year-old out of the Azzurri's Euro 2008 qualifiers against Lithuania on 2 September and France four days later in a rematch of the World Cup final.

Like Facchetti is the only man with any kind of foresight to see the negative kind of precedent FIFA setting here!

Also, some have suggested that the two match ban was to prevent Matterazzi from being involved in the Euro 2008 Qualifier against France..

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 07:17:23 AM »
I think FIFA trying to get strict now with the amount of things they players get away it. The pulling of shirts, diving, sledging ect have been allowed for so many years now that it has been a sort of accepted part of the game.

Now FIFA trying to put their foot down and eliminate some of these problems the game is faced with. As a result, since they believed that Materazzi started the incident for saying something, they believed that he too should be penalised.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »
I think FIFA trying to get strict now with the amount of things they players get away it. The pulling of shirts, diving, sledging ect have been allowed for so many years now that it has been a sort of accepted part of the game.

Now FIFA trying to put their foot down and eliminate some of these problems the game is faced with. As a result, since they believed that Materazzi started the incident for saying something, they believed that he too should be penalised.

Unless u have a microphone and a television camera  on every player, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to impartially adjudicate such things. It's going to amount to mere his word against mine  and down the line, FIFA will eventually have to backtrack on this dangerous precedent set.

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 07:26:09 AM »
Perhaps, but a serious incident like this took place because FIFA and even more the referees allowed players to get away with things like this for years. Now FIFA is trying to stamp it out. Dangerous precedent or not, I think football organisations have to start dealing seriously with these incidents in order to try to eliminate them from the game and make players believe that they cannot get away with these sort of infringements.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
Precedent my ass...

FIFA not really serious about stamping out insulting from the game, the only reason why they ban materazzi is to give everybody lip service and because its zidane....

in my opinion, banning materazzi is assigning some justification for zidane's irresponsible reaction, and especially given the disproportionate nature of the ban...

I hope anybody cuss anybody this season get cuff down and lewwe see if de die really cast...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
this will not bother zidane one bit.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>