March 29, 2024, 08:46:40 AM

Author Topic: About Paraguay's second goal against T&T  (Read 9199 times)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
About Paraguay's second goal against T&T
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:14:27 PM »
The second goal scored by cuevas - how is that supposed to be defended? From the tape, it looked like a give and go. edwards was marking the guy that passed the ball (forgot his name). cuevas went across the goal past latas and lawrence. who was supposed to pick up cuevas?

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: About Paraguay's second goal against T&T
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:27:58 PM »
The second goal scored by cuevas - how is that supposed to be defended? From the tape, it looked like a give and go. edwards was marking the guy that passed the ball (forgot his name). cuevas went across the goal past latas and lawrence. who was supposed to pick up cuevas?

all respect to Paraguay for that goal. They were already out of the tournament but that goal still showed their determination to get a win.

de man timed Cuevas' run perfectly. It was a totally unexpected give and go, which is why Cuevas pick up more pace than Carlos to recieve the ball.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 03:37:07 PM »

all respect to Paraguay for that goal. They were already out of the tournament but that goal still showed their determination to get a win.

de man timed Cuevas' run perfectly. It was a totally unexpected give and go, which is why Cuevas pick up more pace than Carlos to recieve the ball.

yuh right, me memory failing. edwards was marking cuevas and cuevas outhustled him on that. was there a way to defend that?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:46:21 PM »
That 2nd goal was a real hard luck. We were caught stretched and Lawrence had to make a decision wheter to go or not.....he went too late ans was caught in nomans land. I saw it comming but the man had options and had lawrence not gone we could have taken it on himself....That one was just a hard luck.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »

yuh right, me memory failing. edwards was marking cuevas and cuevas outhustled him on that. was there a way to defend that?

the only way I see how that could have been defended was if Carlos had pelt a serious blade, but Cuevas was too fast for him. If he didn't miss him completely, it would have been a foul or even a red card. Sancho was a too far to narrow de angle.
The pass was played perfectly; Cuevas shot the ball in his stride, didn't have to collect it first.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:47:46 PM »
(Sancho??) was supposed to either pick up de man coming through or block de channel where de pass was played.... he get ketch ball watching and did not anticipate the return pass.... but I think he was just exhausted by that point..... it was a great play by Paraguay

Feel free to correct me but thais how I remember it.....

Edit: it coulda be Lawrence.... lemmeh go home and watch that replay good
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 06:09:54 PM »
Carlos Edwards eased up as soon as Cuevas let go the ball for the 1-2.  If he had made it a point to reach Cuevas he could have.  As Edwards and Cuevas ran toward the middle, all the other defenders would have registered that Edwards was there, and so they could turn to the person receiving the ball.  When the ball was bounced back lo and behold Cuevas was unmarked with space to shoot. 

Carlos Edwards was at fault.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:26:47 PM »

Sancho  was really the weakest link in the defense, eventhough he was not solely responsible for the goal. Edwards did a good job of staying with Cuevas, but he could not keep up with Cuevas when Cuevas slipped between the two defenders; But that is not Edwards fault, firstly his path was somewhat blocked and Cuevas is fast. On the other hand, Sancho simply stood by when Cuevas made the run in front of him. Sancho did not join Edwards in attempting to shut down  Cuevas.  And when Cuevas passed the ball, Sancho did not attempt to cover the open space (maybe he was not able to read the give-and-go) until Cuevas slipped through , and few of our defenders are fast enough to keep up with a fast attacker.  The second in line for blame is probably Evans Wise (#16) who did not mark the second attacker.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMWyZbw14a4&search=paraguay%20vs%20trinidad
 Looks like Carlos is tracking Cuevas, Lawrence is last man behind Sancho, Lawrence steps up to Cuevas and cuts across the path of both Cuevas and Carlos. Carlos slows up ,not wanting to bump into Lawrence,  Cuevas lays off for the 1-2 and never breaks stride. Perfect 1-2.
One way to defend that play  in hindsight is Lawrence has to stay in the hole and fill the passing lane to cut off that return pass and allow Carlos the opportunity to continue to track Cuevas.
Lawrence has to win the ball or foul outside the box if he gambles by coming foward to make the tackle .
 No criticism of Lawrence here, Cuevas was quick to pass before the tackle was made. In a bang bang play you react by instinct.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:48:39 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:25:00 AM »
ah think storebay have it
the stutter step kill carlos a lil bit and he was playing catch up. Wise shoulda been tighter on the wall pass man and maybe it would been broken up right there.
then lawrence had to step to defend cuevas which is where sancho could have covered that space but did not
all hindsight we had enough defenders to handle it if done right
was a nice goal and it was quick

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »
I would like to see T&T execute an attacking move like that
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 09:58:16 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:18 AM »
When Latas was in his prime we used to put down plays like dat man.
We jus need to watch some old shell cup games
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 09:59:34 AM »

hear wha you talkin' bout - Shell Cup......I talkin' real football boy......

I wah see Trinidad start executing attacking moves like that against worthy opposition....

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:40 AM »

On a give and go the defender of the 1st passer should stay with his man and ideally put a hand on his chest to slow him up. In this case the defender followed the ball...ball watching and got beaten by the wall pass.

Lawrence stepped in to pressure the ball on the first pass then followed the ball instead of slowing the man down.   Carlos was beaten and out of the play before the initial pass in the 1-2 was played.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:22:06 PM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »

lol.....shell cup!!

ah love it!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »
Shell Cup was a big tournament

All d pros used to come back for dat

Who remember dat yellow shell cup ball? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »

horse da yellow shell cup ball was a stinger.... :rotfl:

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »

I tell you... when you butt that ball ...you have a headace for Days... fuss the ball hard... :rotfl:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
Horse dat was made up of some kinda super hard rubber yes. If yuh sweat with that barefoot yuh know is pressure

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 03:06:46 PM »

I tell you... when you butt that ball ...you have a headace for Days... fuss the ball hard... :rotfl:

It was like playing football with a basketball.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>