September 22, 2021, 10:47:44 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Phillip Thread  (Read 17632 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Phillip Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
I imagine, you have in mind a slew of unproven yet better replacements, just waiting to be called ?
as a matter of fact I do.

Greg ranjitsingh, yohan welch.

Shannon gomez, noah powder, ryran innis, Robert primus.

Levi garcia, neval hackshaw, atulla guerra,

Jonathan glenn, Che benny, Andre fortune.

Shannon Gomez? He did not play once in 2 years at NYC and now sits on the bench in USL
understandably so, but I am talking future mate not immediate. Shannon may not have been active but he can't be any worst than aubrey and cyrus in that right back position, and i am sure that veira saw some sort of talent in the lad to bring him all the way to new york and another plus to his credit is that he is still very young. the reason why he was inactive and now plays in the USL was because of his severe injury and is on the road to recovery these things do take time but i am sure he learned quite a lot under viera watchful eyes and could become our new right full back given the chance.

He has green card and his agent is French. Was just a favor. If he can't start in USL he has no business on the National Team. I think Aubrey at least at Saprissa showed well. The problem is that Aubrey plays at the level of his teammates. He is not a difference maker.

The best solution is Mekeil Williams on the right where he excelled for the Rapids before they decided to move him to the left this season...and Keston Julien on the left who starts in Slovakia.

I think the best CBs pair and most complementary is Bateu and Weslie John who is good in the air unlike every other T&T player. John is also good with his feet which is a rarity in Trinidad.

Another good option is Jamal Jack who is among the few to play with balls. He has been a starter in Central America and USL for a reason. He is actually a decent defensive mid too.
ive seen weslie John undear Steven hart and I wasn't impressed, maybe he grew since I last saw him but him and tristin hodges made the trip to south america last year where they underperformed. As for bateau that boy us very inconsistent and was terrible in our last few games which he made a lot of unforced errors and with the exception of mikeil in the left back position I don't see any other reason to keep any of these defenders we currently have. they would not even make it on the bench of one of these hexagonal teams but are our starters no wonder we bummed so terribly. I don't know Kenton julien but I'm willing to try anything but caryle mitchell, Daniel cyrus, Sheldon bateau, and aubrey david, it's very telling when a 38 year old defender came our of retirement and plays way better than you, IMO that speaks volumes.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
But ammmmm.......Sheldon Bateau playing at the highest level of our national players....he's playing in the Russian Premier League(well he's on loan elsewhere but still)

I think he is our next captain as long as he become consistent and remains in a top league.

I would get him to pair with Ryan Innis though....Ryan seems to be a traditional center half....when last we had someone like that Marvin Andrews?

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
I imagine, you have in mind a slew of unproven yet better replacements, just waiting to be called ?
as a matter of fact I do.

Greg ranjitsingh, yohan welch.

Shannon gomez, noah powder, ryran innis, Robert primus.

Levi garcia, neval hackshaw, atulla guerra,

Jonathan glenn, Che benny, Andre fortune.

Shannon Gomez? He did not play once in 2 years at NYC and now sits on the bench in USL
understandably so, but I am talking future mate not immediate. Shannon may not have been active but he can't be any worst than aubrey and cyrus in that right back position, and i am sure that veira saw some sort of talent in the lad to bring him all the way to new york and another plus to his credit is that he is still very young. the reason why he was inactive and now plays in the USL was because of his severe injury and is on the road to recovery these things do take time but i am sure he learned quite a lot under viera watchful eyes and could become our new right full back given the chance.

He has green card and his agent is French. Was just a favor. If he can't start in USL he has no business on the National Team. I think Aubrey at least at Saprissa showed well. The problem is that Aubrey plays at the level of his teammates. He is not a difference maker.

The best solution is Mekeil Williams on the right where he excelled for the Rapids before they decided to move him to the left this season...and Keston Julien on the left who starts in Slovakia.

I think the best CBs pair and most complementary is Bateu and Weslie John who is good in the air unlike every other T&T player. John is also good with his feet which is a rarity in Trinidad.

Another good option is Jamal Jack who is among the few to play with balls. He has been a starter in Central America and USL for a reason. He is actually a decent defensive mid too.
ive seen weslie John undear Steven hart and I wasn't impressed, maybe he grew since I last saw him but him and tristin hodges made the trip to south america last year where they underperformed. As for bateau that boy us very inconsistent and was terrible in our last few games which he made a lot of unforced errors and with the exception of mikeil in the left back position I don't see any other reason to keep any of these defenders we currently have. they would not even make it on the bench of one of these hexagonal teams but are our starters no wonder we bummed so terribly. I don't know Kenton julien but I'm willing to try anything but caryle mitchell, Daniel cyrus, Sheldon bateau, and aubrey david, it's very telling when a 38 year old defender came our of retirement and plays way better than you, IMO that speaks volumes.

You refer to that match vs Uruguay? He actually contained Cavani and was his first match playing along horrible players like Cyrus. You need to realize Concacaf is nowhere near Cavani type opponents, and any centre back will be made look weak if paired with a donkey or playing for a team that is constantly under pressure and has no ball posession. Over a season in Central America Weslie John was good which is more than the other options can do (Cyrus is a liability in Central America too). Bateau now plays in Kazikhstan which according to Aubrey is a lower level than Costa Rica primera...

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »
But ammmmm.......Sheldon Bateau playing at the highest level of our national players....he's playing in the Russian Premier League(well he's on loan elsewhere but still)

I think he is our next captain as long as he become consistent and remains in a top league.

I would get him to pair with Ryan Innis though....Ryan seems to be a traditional center half....when last we had someone like that Marvin Andrews?

He is in Kazikhstan now which is not even Costa Rica level league, hence it is probably USL, El Salvador or Honduras level at most.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »
Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip and defender Taryk Sampson have signed with Indian I-League club, Neroca FC. This is the first foreign contract for either player. Marvin is currently away on duty with the Trinidad and Tobago National Team for a pair of Concacaf Nations League matches against Martinique.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »
WATCH: Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip keen to get on with Senior Team training

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pjNSiLOvAKI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pjNSiLOvAKI</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2020, 06:32:39 PM »
What's the protocol in place to safeguard against spread among the players, coaches and support staff?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »
What's the protocol in place to safeguard against spread among the players, coaches and support staff?

I hear about temperature checks before and after sessions and wearing masks when you at de sidelines. I eh know what else in place.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »
WATCH: Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip shares his thoughts ahead of our opening 2022 World Cup qualifier against Guyana

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7VAReqtmOTA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7VAReqtmOTA</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
Start rebuilding now. Sancho, Phillip: Begin restructuring soon
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

National goalkeeper Marvin Phillip and 2006 World Cup defender Brent Sancho both agree there must be no postponement of the rebuilding of football in Trinidad and Tobago.

Sancho further indicates that the decision-makers have to meet soon and decide on the direction the team must take and whether interim coach Angus Eve is the one to take it forward.

“The problems that football has in Trinidad, inclusive of the national team, are bigger than the (national team) job itself,” Sancho suggests.

Phillip, 36, admits to T&T having a horrible Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign. He also believes the Soca warriors must begin immediately to build on the gains made during the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Phillip has had a roller coaster role on the national team and admits to having considered quitting at one point. He has had stints as the first call but has also had to play a secondary role to the now retired Jan-Michael Williams, the younger Adrian Foncette and more recently, Denmark-born Nicklas Frenderup. The Gold Cup has seen a resurgence of Phillip’s role as he started matches against Mexico (0-0), where he was named Man-of-the-Match, and Guatemala (1-1), where he gave another heroic performance.

“Unfortunately, we did not go onto the second stage, but players can still hold their heads high and be proud of the small accomplishment,” states Phillip, who believes that now is the time to get the role of permanent coach squared away and for the rebuilding to start.

“We definitely need to get our house in order. In the past we always wait last-minute for when something is coming up to organise and then expect the team to do well,” he says. “We (need to) put things in place from now, try to build on this performance from now, and get in a head coach so there can be programmes heading into the Nations League.”

Having been relegated from League A of the Nations League, an achievable incentive for the national team would be to qualify directly for the 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup by winning one of the likely three groups in the less competitive League B grouping, which contains the likes of French Guiana, Guatemala, Guadeloupe and Montserrat.

“We definitely need to put things together so we stand a good chance of qualifying for these tournaments,” Phillip adds. Another big incentive for the national coach, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association TTFA and the normalisation committee, is to improve T&T’s current #13 ranking in CONCACAF and get back among the top six—which will offer the team an automatic qualifying route to the final stage of World Cup qualifying.

Sancho believes that if given the nod, Eve will have to orchestrate a restructuring of the national team while at the same time winning matches.

“From a development standpoint, from the player pool that he has, all these things have to come into play,” Sancho says.

In the short term, if given the job full-time, Eve will probably retain the experience of Sheldon Bateau, Aubrey David, Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones and captain Khaleem Hyland. However, he now has likely and younger replacements available in Keston Julien (22), Triston Hodge (26), Jesse Williams (20) Jelani Peters, Justin Garcia, Noah Powder (22), Shannon Gomez (25), Levi Garcia, Ross Russell Jr and Alvin Jones.

There are also potential young recruits further up-field in Justin Araujo-Wilson (18), Che Benny (20), Molik Khan (18), Akeem Roach (25), Kathon St Hillaire (23), Daniel Phillip (20), Jomal Wiliams (27), Neveal Hackshaw, Duane Muckette (26), Shaqueen Joseph, Molik Khan, Isaiah Lee (21), Isaiah Hudson, Akeem Garcia, Ryan Rampersad, Justin Sadoo and Tyrel “Pappy” Emmanuel, along with those who will emerge from the local league.

Sancho says the decision-makers now have to make firm choices about the direction the national team and T&T football heads in.

“Is it now that we want a developmental team with 2026 in mind? Do we want a competitive team, keeping some of the older heads? Are we going to stand to recruit overseas players, and what will that look like?” asks Sancho. “And then you could ask yourselves, who is the right person to move this forward?”

Both Phillip and Sancho agree that Eve has brought some positives to the national team.

“From where the team was, to where he brought it off the field, in terms of the camaraderie, playing for the shirt, team spirit, I think he has done an outstanding job of doing that in a short space of time, Sancho states.

Phillip also endorses the work Eve did at the Gold Cup, having worked with Club Sando for the first time.

“He (Eve) came in a very short space of time and a lot of people may have written him off due to the campaign we had in the World Cup qualifiers. He brought a different aura to the team, a different level of team spirit; helping the guys to believe in themselves; always there to give a listening ear to the players,” Phillip testifies. “That augured well for the team during the tournament and hopefully he (can) get the chance to carry on and take Trinidad and Tobago Football forward.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
Sancho believes that if given the nod, Eve will have to orchestrate a restructuring of the national team while at the same time winning matches.

“From a development standpoint, from the player pool that he has, all these things have to come into play,” Sancho says.

In the short term, if given the job full-time, Eve will probably retain the experience of Sheldon Bateau, Aubrey David, Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones and captain Khaleem Hyland. However, he now has likely and younger replacements available in Keston Julien (22), Triston Hodge (26), Jesse Williams (20) Jelani Peters, Justin Garcia, Noah Powder (22), Shannon Gomez (25), Levi Garcia, Ross Russell Jr and Alvin Jones.

There are also potential young recruits further up-field in Justin Araujo-Wilson (18), Che Benny (20), Molik Khan (18), Akeem Roach (25), Kathon St Hillaire (23), Daniel Phillip (20), Jomal Wiliams (27), Neveal Hackshaw, Duane Muckette (26), Shaqueen Joseph, Molik Khan, Isaiah Lee (21), Isaiah Hudson, Akeem Garcia, Ryan Rampersad, Justin Sadoo and Tyrel “Pappy” Emmanuel, along with those who will emerge from the local league.

pullstones, look like Sancho reading your comments on this forum boy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:30:17 AM by Deeks »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2021, 01:27:30 PM »

i don't think so deeks. he's advocating for eve and i'm in strong opposition to his appointment, he's talking about comradery with the players and i say that players should be able to be motivated even if playing for the devil as a coach, once they understand that they are out there playing for the shirt and the flag, not a doting grandfather favorite uncle coach to be motivated to play or country. trinis will get nowhere if we don't toughen up, our youths are way too sensitive to survive the rigors of the modern sporting environment.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »

i don't think so deeks. he's advocating for eve and i'm in strong opposition to his appointment, he's talking about comradery with the players and i say that players should be able to be motivated even if playing for the devil as a coach, once they understand that they are out there playing for the shirt and the flag, not a doting grandfather favorite uncle coach to be motivated to play or country. trinis will get nowhere if we don't toughen up, our youths are way too sensitive to survive the rigors of the modern sporting environment.

If Brent Sancho was advocating for Eve he would have said so. What I've heard him state is a broader concern regarding the ecosystem of football and how that ecosystem should influence coach selection. On that I think he has a point that should be difficult to ignore.