March 28, 2024, 11:39:51 PM

Author Topic: Marvin Phillip Thread  (Read 29736 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
And here is some more information on how the baby died!

10-month-old son of national footballer found lifeless in car seat in Chaguanas
By Sue-Ann Wayow (Express).

DEATH AT DAY-CARE

TEN-month-old Matai Phillip, the son of Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warrior Marvin Phillip, died yesterday shortly after being dropped off at a day-care centre in Chaguanas.

Phillip, who was in Argentina with the national team when he was told, was said to be distraught.
Several months ago, the mother of his first child died.

Baby Matai’s mother, Leslie-Ann Halls, is a part-time Special Reserve Police Officer and employee of TSTT.

Police were told that around 6.15 a.m. yesterday, the child was dropped off at the Anointed Angels Day Care at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas.

The child, who was ten months old on Monday, was taken to the day-care by his grandfather, Lincoln Halls, police said. About an hour later, the centre called the family to say the infant had been taken to the Chaguanas medical facility.

When the family got there, the child was already dead. A day-care worker told the family the boy had been crying incessantly when placed in a crib and was taken out and strapped into a car seat.

He was found motionless minutes later.

A statement from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation had earlier stated the child was taken to the day-care centre by his mother.

Public Information Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, Sgt Wayne Mystar, said yesterday he was told the baby began crying around 7 a.m. and was placed in a car seat available at the nursery.

He said: “They put the safety harness on the baby. About ten minutes past seven when they went to check on the baby, the baby was unresponsive. The baby was rushed to the Chaguanas medical facility. It is suspected that the child probably suffocated or at least he strangled himself by tangling up with the seat belt. We are awaiting the autopsy result.”

Mystar later said the police had been asked by a pathologist at the Forensic Science Centre in St James to submit the child’s car seat and the last bottle of formula. In addition, the police were asked to get the child’s medical history since the infant was said to have wheezing problems.

Officials at the day-care centre declined to speak with the Express yesterday.

TSTT’s manager of media relations and corporation communications, Graeme Suite, said Halls is an employee at the company’s Internet support department.

He added: “The news of the passing of her son has come as a shock to us and we extend our heartfelt condolences to her and her family.

“TSTT has programmes for supporting employees and their families facing such difficult circumstances and this support will be made available to her and her family. This is a tragedy. Her colleagues in the office where she is based were particularly saddened by the news and we hold her and her family in our thoughts and prayers in their time of grief.”

HOW DID MATAI DIE?
By JULIEN NEAVES (Newsday).

WHILE in Brazil preparing for a match against Iran on Sunday national footballer Marvin Phillip received the tragic news that his 10-month-old son, Matai Joshua Cameron Phillip, had died after being taken to a daycare in Chaguanas.

The baby’s grandparents, Lincoln Halls and Gemma Ottley from Springlands, Gasparillo, and godmother Sharon Santana, were at the Forensic Science Centre in St James yesterday awaiting an autopsy. Halls reported that the autopsy had been postponed to Monday due to additional tests.

Halls told the media he and his wife dropped off Matai at 6.15 am at the Anointed Angels Daycare at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas. He said the baby, who was sitting with his grandmother in the backseat, was “jolly” and playful and did not appear ill. He reported that he handed Matai to the daycare attendant and also gave them the baby’s car seat.

He said the attendant was alone with Matai and about five other babies, and she had told him the other attendants would be arriving at 8 am.

About an hour later someone from the daycare telephoned Matai’s mother Lesley-Ann Halls, a police officer assigned to the Gasparillo Police Station, and told her the baby had been taken to the Chaguanas Health Facility.

“Come down to the health facility. Something is wrong with the baby,” Matai’s grandfather recalled.

When the relatives arrived the baby was already dead. Halls said when his daughter saw her dead son she “broke down”, was unable to stand and had to be cared for by health workers. He reported the daycare attendant, a woman who appeared to be in her fifties, told him Matai was crying in the crib and she had taken him out and placed him in the car seat. The woman told him she later observed him slumped over in the car seat and believes he choked on the strap. Halls noted Matai, however, was accustomed to being in the car seat.

“That is sounding so strange,” he commented.

The owner of the daycare, Pauline Maloney, spoke on the incident to TV6 News. She stated that at about 7 am the baby began crying and was placed in one of the nursery car seats.

“He fell asleep for a short while and then he got up. I just left him where he was in the car seat,” she said.

She also said a short while after she realised he was unconscious. She removed him from the seat and began CPR on him before calling emergency services. She noted that she continued CPR and kept in contact with the paramedics who were instructing her on what to do. Maloney reported the paramedics arrived about five to 10 minutes later and he was rushed to the health facility and they continued CPR but he died.

Maloney said the baby likely got tied up in the straps and suffocated. She asked the family for forgiveness.

“I really apologise to the parents, to everyone of the family members for what took place. If I could bring Matai back now I would bring Matai back now,” she said.

Halls said Matai had been at that daycare since he was five-months-old and they did not have any problems with them in the past. He also recalled he had seen him in the car seat previously when he came to pick him up from the daycare.

Santana, the child’s godmother, said his mother had always dreamed of having a baby and following his death she was “in a mess”.

“He was her joy, her life, her everything,” she added.

Santana said Matai, who turned ten months on Monday, was christened at a church in Gasparillo and “now we have to bury him right there”.

The relatives are calling for a full investigation into the case. Matai, also nicknamed “Tai”, is the first child for the mother and Phillip’s third; he has two elder sons.

In a statement yesterday from Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) Director of Communications Shaun Fuentes, it was reported that the “Trinidad and Tobago camp was thrown into mourning early on Friday after receiving the tragic news of the death of the ten-month-old son of goalkeeper Marvin Phillip.”

He reported the team arrived in Sao Paolo at 2 am yesterday for the friendly match against Iran.

Phillip, 30, received the news of his son’s death shortly after 10 am. Halls recalled when he told him the news Phillip immediately hung up the telephone.

According to the TTFA Phillip was scheduled to depart for home yesterday evening with assistant manager Peter Rampersad and is expected to arrive at Piarco at around midday today.

This is the second tragedy for him in as many months with Fuentes reporting that “Phillip is still coming to terms with the death of his first child’s mother Aldella Gill who passed away last month due to heart complication”.

Phillip, goalie for Point Fortin Civic Centre, was the reserve goalkeeper in the friendly international against Argentina on Wednesday. He has been a member of the under 17, under-20, under 23 and senior national teams.

National team head coach Stephen Hart in a brief statement expressed condolences to Phillip and his family on behalf of the team and the TTFA. He was speaking as members of the team gathered at Phillips’ room at the Bristol International Airport Hotel in Sao Paolo.

“This is a tragic moment in Marvin’s life. He has faced some traumatic moments in the last month. Our hearts go out to him and the family. This is such a sad moment, I cannot even begin to understand what he must be going through emotionally. All this really places life into perspective for myself personally and us as a team,” he said.

According to the police the staff at the daycare were interviewed and they are awaiting the post mortem on Monday. Chaguanas police are continuing investigations and Maloney is assisting them.

Phillip is the third tragic child death this week: 22-month-old Kriston Obadele Gonzales drowned in a manmade pool at his Mayaro home on Sunday, and one day later five-year-old Jeminah Agard drowned at the YMCA pool at Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain, after she and her class attended swimming lessons.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:48:35 AM by Flex »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Phillips baby passed away today..
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2014, 02:00:21 AM »
Deepest condolence my brother.

I am so sorry to hear this. May God rest his soul in peace.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
Warriors in mourning
Jun 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM ECT (Express)

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) issued a statement yesterday, disclosing that Marvin Phillip, the team’s reserve goalkeeper, who did not play in the friendly between Trinidad and Tobago and Argentina on Wednesday, was told of his child’s death at 10 a.m. and was headed home last evening.

The Education Ministry told the Express it had no jurisdiction over privately-owned day-care centres.

The Trinidad and Tobago Nursery Association said the Anointed Angels Day Care was not a member of the association.

The following is the statement issued by the TTFF:
The Trinidad and Tobago camp was thrown into mourning early on Friday after receiving the tragic news of the death of the ten-month-old son of goalkeeper Marvin Phillip.

The T&T team arrived in Sao Paulo at 2 a.m. on Friday for Sunday’s match against Iran. Shortly after 10 a.m., Phillip was told his son, Matai, was found dead at a day-care in (Chaguanas) where he had been dropped off earlier by his mother.

Phillip is now scheduled to depart for home on Friday evening with assistant manager Peter Rampersad and is expected to arrive at Piarco around midday today.

Phillip is still coming to terms with the death of his first child’s mother, Aldella Gill, who passed away last month due to heart complications.

The Point Fortin Civic Centre custodian was the reserve goalkeeper in Wednesday’s friendly international against Argentina. He has been a member of T&T Under-17, Under-20, Under-23 and senior teams.

National team head coach Stephen Hart, in a brief statement, expressed condolences to Phillip and his family on behalf of the team and the TTFA.

Hart told TTFA Media as members of the team gathered at Phillip’s room at the Bristol International Airport Hotel: “This is tragic moment in Marvin’s life. He has faced some traumatic moments in the last month.”

He added: “Our hearts go out to him and the family. This is such a sad moment, I cannot even begin to understand what he must be going through emotionally. All this really places life into perspective for myself personally and us as a team.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2014, 08:14:47 AM »
Pathologist calling for full medical history
Jun 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM ECT (Express)

THE exact cause of death of the ten-month-old son of national footballer Marvin Phillip could not be determined yesterday.

A determination is expected to be made when the child’s complete medical history is presented to the forensic pathologist on Monday.

According to relatives, around 6.15 a.m. yesterday, Matai Joshua Cameron Phillip was dropped off at the Anointed Angels Day-care Centre at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas.

The child had been taken to the centre from his home at Spring Lands, Gasparillo, by his grandfather, Lincoln Halls.

Relatives said just before 7 a.m. they got a telephone call from the day-care advising them to go immediately to the Chaguanas medical facility. When they got there they were told the child had died.

Halls, who spoke to reporters at the Forensic Science Centre yesterday, said he was told by one of the day-care employees the child had been crying incessantly in a crib, following which he was taken out and placed in a child car seat. About half an hour later the boy was found motionless in the seat, he said.

Halls said around 7 a.m. he got a call from the boy’s mother, Leslie-Ann Halls, who said she had been told by the day-care that something was wrong with her son.

Halls told reporters: “When I left him at the day-care centre he was jolly and playing and when I went to the health centre minutes to 8 (o’clock) the child was lifeless.”

Leslie-Ann Halls is a special reserve police officer at the Gasparillo Police Station.

Lincoln Halls speculated that when the boy was placed in the car seat he may have choked on a strap in the seat. He added, “But the crib is the safer place because you wouldn’t take them from a crib to a car seat. ... In my view that sounding so strange.”

The forensic pathologist at the Forensic Science Centre in St James has decided that he wanted a copy of the child’s complete medical history before fully examining the body.

The Express was told by the police officer investigating the case that the baby may have had respiratory issues prior to his sudden death and that all angles needed to be covered as the investigations continue.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
Cops probe another baby’s death
Saturday, June 7, 2014 (Guardian)
By Jensen La Vende

The relatives of ten-month-old Matai Phillip will have to wait until Monday to find out what caused the child’s death yesterday. They say they were told to return to the Forensic Science Centre on Monday, as the baby’s case was a “special one.” The child was the youngest son of his father, national footballer Marvin Phillip, and the first and only child of his mother, PC Lesley-Ann Halls.

The child’s grandfather, Lincoln Halls, said he dropped off Matai around 6.15 am yesterday at Anointed Hands Day Care at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas.  Halls, who spoke with the media outside the Forensic Science Centre yesterday, said he gave the child to the caregivers and then gave them the car seat. He said Matai was not in the car seat because his wife was holding the child at the time.

Just after 7 am Matai’s grandmother Gemma Ottley was called and told to go to the Chaguanas Health Facility as the child was unresponsive. “When I left him he was jolly and playing. Then I went to the health centre, minutes to eight, and the child was lifeless. “They said he was in the child seat and the strap may have choked him. “The crib is the safer place. You wouldn't take a child from a crib to put him in a car seat. The only time I would put him there is when he in my view. That sounding so strange,” Halls said.

Police said caregivers at the daycare centre said Matai had a history of respiratory problems. The caregiver said after receiving Matai he was placed in the car seat. Some time later he seemed to be asleep, so the caregiver went to put him in the crib and noticed he was not breathing.

The caregiver, who is trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), tried to revive  Matai but was unable to do so. Emergency Health Services (EHS) was called in and took Matai to the Chaguanas Health Facility, where he was pronounced dead some time after. Cpl Barrow of the Chaguanas CID is continuing investigations.

Father flies home
A release from the T&T Football Federation yesterday said Phillip was told of his baby son’s death shortly after he arrived in Sao Paolo, Brazil, for Sunday’s match against Iran. He is expected to return home today. Phillip, the Point Fortin Civic Centre custodian, was the reserve goalkeeper in Wednesday’s friendly international against Argentina.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Phillip overcome with emotion
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
Phillip overcome with emotion
Jun 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM ECT (Express)
By Sue-Ann Wayow sue-ann.wayow@trinidadexpress.com

MARVIN PHILLIP, Trinidad and Tobago’s national footballer, was so overcome with emotion upon hearing about the death of his son that he smashed a glass window causing damage to his right hand.

On Friday, Phillip’s ten-month-old son Matai Phillip died at a day care facility in Chaguanas shortly after he was dropped off by his grandfather at 6.15 a.m.

Police said the child was placed in a car seat at the Anointed Angels Day Care, Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500 and there was the possibility he could have suffocated or strangled with the seat belt.

Phillip, 29, who was in Sao Paulo, Brazil at the time, said he was distraught when he heard his son died.

Phillip spoke to reporters yesterday at Matai’s home where he lived with his mother Leslie-Ann Halls in Springland, Gasparillo. Halls is an employee of telecoms provider TSTT and a part-time Special Reserve Police Officer.

The footballer left Brazil Friday night and travelled home via Miami. He arrived in Trinidad at 2 p.m.

Phillip said he first knew something was wrong after reading messages from a relative at around 9.30 a.m. on Friday when he returned to his hotel room after having breakfast. The footballers were not allowed to have their cellphones with them during breakfast, Phillip said.

“It was one of my cousins who messaged me first saying how is my young son doing. Apparently they did not want to break it to me at that point. The messages he was sending to me, I knew something was wrong,” he said.

He said he called Matai’s grandfather to find out if anything was wrong and he was told his son died.

Phillip said: “It’s really a sad moment for me and my family. It’s really difficult for me and difficult for a lot of us knowing Matai is just ten months old, an innocent child. It is not a good feeling to hear that your young one has passed. I was distraught. On hearing the news I ended up punching a window.”

The team’s doctor administered five stitches to Phillip’s right hand.

His teammates also supported him.

Phillip said: “A lot of guys supported me. They tried to console me. A lot of them shed tears, they wouldn’t want it to happen to themselves.

I would not want to wish this on my worst enemy.”

An autopsy is expected to take place tomorrow at the Forensic Science Centre, St James.

Until then, Phillip is unsure as to what action he may take.

“All we are waiting for is the autopsy (tomorrow) to see what is really going on. We are hearing a lot of contradicting stories but we are waiting on Monday for the autopsy to speak out more on it. If negligence was involved, yes, I would follow the steps to take action... At this time, I really can’t comment on that, the way I feel right now, I leave everything in God’s hands.”

Phillip said he was looking forward to celebrating his son’s first birthday on August 2, one day after his own.

He said: “It will really be difficult not having him here for his birthday. Hearing you son die is not a nice song to hear.”
Phillip has two other sons ages nine and five. He lives at Willliamsville.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:34:07 PM by Socapro »

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
Condolences to both Marvin and Lesley-Ann and their families from my family#Gutted#Speechless#BlessedLove!
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Footballer dad injures self after devastating news
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
Footballer dad injures self after devastating news
By STACY MOORE Sunday, June 8 2014 (Newsday)

UPON receiving the devastating news from Trinidad on the death of his infant son, goal keeper Marvin Phillip using his fists, punched a glass window outside of his hotel room in Brazil.

“It is not anything I would wish upon my worst enemy,” an emotional Phillip told Sunday Newsday in an interview at the family Springland, Gasparillo, home yesterday evening.

Phillip was in Brazil with his team members preparing for a match against Iran to take place today. Baby Matai Joshua Cameron Phillip died after being taken to a daycare in Chaguanas.

According to reports, at about 6.15am on Friday Matai’s grandparents Lincoln Halls and Gemma Ottley had dropped off the boy at Anointed Angels Daycare at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas. Halls said he had also handed the infant’s baby’s car seat to the day care.

Halls said that at the time the attendant was alone with Matai and about five other babies but stated that other attendants would be arriving at 8 am.

One hour later, the daycare telephoned Matai’s mother Lesley-Ann Halls, a police officer assigned to the Gasparillo Police Station, and told her the baby had been taken to the Chaguanas Health Facility. When the relatives arrived at the Health Facility, baby Matai was already dead. The distraught mother was later told it is believed that baby may have choked on the strap of his car seat. Matai who turned ten months last Monday had been at that daycare since he was five months-old. Matai, also nicknamed “Tai”, is the first child for the mother and Phillip’s third; he has two elder sons.

Phillip, 30, received the news of his son’s death shortly after 10 am Friday. Overcome with grief and emotions the national footballer walked outside the hotel room and punched a glass window at Sao Paolo, Brazil. Team members immediately rushed to his aid. The team’s doctor attended to the grieving father. Phillip sustained injuries to his left and right hands. He was attended to and received five stitches to his right hand. His hands are now bandaged.

“I was distraught on hearing the news. I end up punching a window this is why I have this band on my hand, it was not a nice feeling, hearing the news of the death of your son. It’s really a sad moment for me and my family. It is difficult for all of us knowing that Matai is just a ten-month- old innocent child, ” he said trying to hold back his tears. Matai would have celebrated his first birthday on August 2. “His mom and I had a lot of plans for him on his birthday, as my birthday is August 1 and he was born August 2 so I was really looking forward for his birthday and it is going to be difficult not having him here for his birthday.” he said.

Phillip said he was grateful for the support from his team members. He said that he was awaiting the results of the autopsy tomorrow. “We hearing a lot of contradicting stories so it all depends on what the autopsy says, if negligence was involved at the daycare I would do all the steps to take action on the day care. I leave everything in God’s hands,” he said.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:55:55 PM by Socapro »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Autopsy: Baby choked on car seat straps
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
Autopsy: Baby choked on car seat straps
By Jensen La Vende (T&T Guardian)

Ten-month old Maitai Phillip died from positional asphyxiation, his autopsy report revealed yesterday. The last-born son of national goalkeeper Marvin Phillip was pronounced dead at the Chaguanas Health Facility on Friday morning less than two hours after he was dropped off at the Anointed Angels daycare at Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas. The T&T Guardian was informed that police seized the car seat in which the child was placed  at the daycare the day he died.

His autopsy report stated the because of the slouched position the child was in he was able to reach the straps on the car seat with his mouth which blocked off his trachea causing him to asphyxiate. Relatives of the child visited the Forensic Science Centre, St James, on Friday but was told to return yesterday. When they did, the relatives were told they would have to wait until after 2 pm when all other autopsies for the day had been completed.

The relatives, which included Phillip, who returned from Brazil on Saturday, and the child's mother Lesley-Ann Halls received the report just after 5 pm yesterday. The child’s grandfather, Lincoln Halls, told the media on Friday he dropped off Maitai around 6.15 am at the daycare. He said Maitai was not in the car seat because his wife was holding the child. Just after 7 am Maitai’s grandmother Gemma Ottley was called and told to go to the Chaguanas Health Facility as the child was unresponsive.

Officials at the daycare told police that after receiving Maitai he was placed in the car seat.  Some time later he seemed to be asleep so the caregiver went to put him in the crib and noticed he was not breathing. The caregiver, who is trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), tried to revive Maitai but was unable to do so. Emergency Health Services (EHS) were called in and took Matai to the Chaguanas Health Facility, where he was pronounced dead some time after.

Cpl Barrow of the Chaguanas CID is continuing investigations.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Parents say goodbye to baby Matai today
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »
Parents say goodbye to baby Matai today
By Radhica Sookraj (T&T Guardian)

National T&T footballer Marvin Phillip and his wife, Lesley Ann Halls, will say their final goodbyes today to their ten-month-old son who died at a daycare centre in Chaguanas last week. Baby Matai Joshua Cameron Phillip will be buried today at the Gasparillo cemetery after a service at the Gasparillo RC Church, Caratal Road.

The child died after being taken to the Anointed Angels daycare centre at Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas. An autopsy showed he died from positional asphyxia. This happens when a person cannot get enough air to breathe owing to the positioning of his/her body. Phillip returned to Trinidad on Saturday from Brazil to bury his son the day before the Soca Warriors were to meet Iran in an international friendly.

Saying Matai’s death was the worst ordeal he had ever experienced, Phillip said he would leave no stone unturned to find out what had happened. “We are hearing a lot of contradicting stories. It is not a good feeling to hear your young baby is dead. I would not wish this on my worst enemy,” Phillip said. He also said he was confident there would be no cover-up.

“I have been assured by the authorities that this matter will be thoroughly investigated so I don’t believe there will be a cover-up,” Phillip said. He added that he and Halls were planning to celebrate the baby’s first birthday on August 2. He added that Matai was a healthy child and it was heartbreaking to live without ever again seeing him smile. Baby Matai was the third child to have died last week.

He was dropped off at the daycare centre around 6.15 am and died an hour later. The owner, Pauline Maloney, said Matai was crying and was put in a car seat where it is believed he suffocated on the straps. On June 1, Kriston Gonzales, 22 months, drowned in a pond at Mayaro. Jemimah Agard, five, drowned in a pool at the Young Men’s Christian Association, Port-of-Spain, a day later during a school outing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:32:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »
Babies laid to rest
By LAUREL V WILLIAMS (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL goalkeeper Marvin Phillips will bid final farewell this afternoon to his ten-month-old son, Matai, following a funeral service at the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Gasparillo.

The funeral service is scheduled to begin at 2.30 pm following which the infant will be buried at the cemetery in the churchyard at Caratal Road, Gasparillo. The baby is believed to have choked to death while in a car seat at a day-care in Chaguanas on Friday last.

Thirty minutes (half-an-hour) after Matai’s funeral service begins, the Mohammed family of St Francis Village, Erin, will also be bidding farewell to five-month-old baby accident victim, Jessica Mohammed, who died on June 1.

The funeral is scheduled to take place at the family’s home then baby Jessica will be buried at the Public Cemetery in Erin, south-western Trinidad.

At the time of Matai’s death, his father, who is the goalkeeper for the Soca Warriors national football team was in Argentina with team members.

Reports are that about 6.15am on Friday, Matai’s grandparents Lincoln Halls and Gemma Ottley had dropped off the child at Anointed Angels Daycare at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas. Halls said he had also handed the infant’s baby’s car seat to the day-care. Reports added that about an hour later, someone at the daycare telephoned Matai’s mother Lesley-Ann Halls, a police officer assigned to the Gasparillo Police Station, and told her the baby had been taken to the Chaguanas Health Facility.

When the relatives arrived at the Health Facility, baby Matai was already dead.

Meanwhile, baby Jessica died on June 1 in a vehicular accident in Santa Flora in which her parents (Antonia Beckles-Mohammed and Selly Mohammed) also sustained injuries, but survived.

A police report stated that at about 10.40 am that day, Mark Ramdass was driving his car along the SS Erin Road in Santa Flora near Jacob Settlement. Beckles-Mohammed was holding the baby in her arms while in the back seat of the car and the father occupied the passenger seat in the front.

Police investigators said Ramdass’ car veered off the roadway and collided with a flat-bed truck which was proceeding in the opposite direction. Baby Jessica sustained multiple injuries on her tiny body and lost consciousness.

She was rushed to the San Fernando General Hospital but never regained consciousness. Mohammed sustained a broken leg and other injuries while his wife suffered multiple cuts and bruises.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »
Hey guys pray for Marvin Phillips just heard he vandalize the daycare center his baby died.He may need some counseling.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:39:04 PM by royal »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
Hey guys pray for Marvin Phillips just heard he vandalize the daycare center his baby died.He may need some counseling.

He need counselling long time.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2014, 03:42:39 AM »
He really, really needs some help - no person should go through what he has, and it's completely understandable to struggle with the pressure. Sadly, in the machismo culture that is football it's possible he doesn't feel counselling/psychiatry is for him. Really hope he gets some help, this shouldn't be down-played.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2014, 04:21:54 AM »
Footballer smashes window at daycare where son died.
T&T Express Reports.

National footballer Marvin Phillip has been urged by police to seek counselling after he smashed a window at the daycare centre in Chaguanas where his ten-month-old son Matai Phillip died on June 6.

Matai’s death was attributed to positional asphyxia after he became entangled in the straps of his baby car seat he was placed in to help comfort him when he began crying at the Anointed Angels Daycare at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas.

Police report Phillip, 30, returned to the daycare centre at about 5.30 am yesterday and broke a window.

The goalkeeper for the Soca Warriors football team had also smashed a glass window in a hotel in Brazil, where he was staying for a friendly match against Iran, when he learned of his son’s death from his father. Also, at Matai’s funeral on June 11, Phillip was so inconsolable he had to be restrained as he held his son’s small coffin. Matai’s mother Leslie Ann-Halls is a Special Reserve police officer and employee of TSTT.

Although police said Phillip could be charged with malicious damage, investigators said the daycare’s owner did not want to press charges. The cost of the damage is less than $1,000.

However, Senior Supt Johnny Abraham yesterday said he has asked Central Division officers to advise Phillip to seek help from the Victim Support Unit of the Police Service to help him deal with the pain of the loss of his infant son.

Following the incident, several officers including Supt Joanne Archie visited the scene and spoke to Phillip, the owner and others and they are now involved in mediation talks.

On his return to Trinidad from Argentina on June 7, Phillip told Sunday Newsday his pain was unimaginable.

“It is not anything I would wish upon my worst enemy,” Phillip has said at the family’s home in Springland, Gasparillo. When Phillip had punched a glass window at the hotel in Brazil he sustained injuries to his hands, receiving five stitches to his right hand.

According to reports, at about 6.15 am on June 6, Matai’s grandparents Lincoln Halls and Gemma Ottley had dropped off the boy at Anointed Angels Daycare at Cicada Street, Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas. Halls said he had also handed the infant’s baby’s car seat to the day care.

Halls said that at the time the attendant was alone with Matai and about five other babies but stated that other attendants would be arriving at 8 am.

One hour later, the daycare telephoned Matai’s mother Lesley-Ann Halls, and told her the baby had been taken to the Chaguanas Health Facility. When the relatives arrived at the Health Facility, baby Matai was already dead.

“I was distraught on hearing the news. I ended up punching a window this is why I have this band on my hand, it was not a nice feeling, hearing the news of the death of your son. It’s really a sad moment for me and my family. It is difficult for all of us knowing that Matai is just a ten-month- old innocent child, ” Phillip had said in the Sunday Newsday interview.

Matai would have celebrated his first birthday on August 2. “His mom and I had a lot of plans for him on his birthday, as my birthday is August 1 and he was born August 2 so I was really looking forward for his birthday and it is going to be difficult not having him here for his birthday,” he said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 05:37:32 AM »
I woulda burn down tha school....and cause some serious havoc...

What do u say to a parent that loses a child...my prayers are with you man!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 06:01:16 AM »
What is the status of the investigation surrounding the child,s death? Was there any litigation started? Any repercussions or legislation concerning the procedures passed down regarding children in care?

Must be difficult for a parent to accept when  there appears to be no accountability or punitive results to this incident .

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:03:20 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
He really, really needs some help - no person should go through what he has, and it's completely understandable to struggle with the pressure. Sadly, in the machismo culture that is football it's possible he doesn't feel counselling/psychiatry is for him. Really hope he gets some help, this shouldn't be down-played.

This is the last straw for Marvin but he has had issues for years.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
Anyone got an update on Marvin Phillips? Is he okay?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Marvin Phillip Thread
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2017, 05:04:31 AM »
Phillip to make a return soon.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

National goalkeeper Marvin Phillip is eying a return to action before month end after being cleared to return to training on Tuesday.

Phillip was ruled out of the recent Gold Cup qualifiers and the two friendlies in Nicaragua after suffering a shoulder injury during the training camp with the national team.

“I should be back on the training field this Tuesday,” Phillip said.

“It was unfortunate that the injury came at that time because I was really looking forward to being part of the team’s efforts in Nicaragua and in the Gold Cup playoffs.

“This year is a big year for our football. It’s going to be a hectic period even though it is unfortunate we are not going to be at the Gold Cup.

I’ve been to three Gold Cups as a player and it’s been great experiences. But now we have to focus on what is there for us to contest and that is obviously going to be the World Cup qualifiers because I believe we are still in with a good enough chance of making it to Russia.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 04:31:09 AM »
Phillip: Focus building for Two World Cup qualifiers.

The last time Marvin Phillip stepped onto the field in a World Cup qualifier things didn’t work out too nicely for the Morvant Caledonia United goalkeeper.

It was before a hostile atmosphere in San Pedro Sula after team-mate Jan-Michael Williams sustained a head injury and had to be rushed off the field and directly to hospital. Phillip would go onto concede two goals in quick succession and a third in the second half as T&T lost the match 3-1.

Since then there has not been much opportunity for Phillip to catch form in T&T colours as injury forced him out of the Nicaragua friendlies and the Gold Cup qualifiers in January.

But now under Dennis Lawrence he is poised to stand in goal again as he and Glenroy Samuel are the two ‘keepers named for today’s friendly against Barbados.

“It’s always a difficult period when you have to enter a game in such hostile conditions and not knowing what is wrong with your team-mate but we’ve been around for a long time so we are prepared knowing that we have to do our best and mentally ready for anything,” Phillip said.

“The result didn’t turn out well but that is history. Now we have two very important games to look forward to on March 24 and 28 against Panama and Mexico. I feel good at the moment. The training has been intense but well structured under Dennis. The goalkeepers have been putting in the work with Ross (Russell). Hopefully we can put together a good performance against Barbados and then concentrate fully on the two games later this month.”

Today’s game kicks off at 7 pm at Ato Boldon Stadium. Tickets for the two upcoming World Cup qualifiers are on sale from today at Lotto outlets nationwide.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2017, 05:08:30 AM »
Phillip wants foreign contract.

National Team goalkeeper Marvin Phillip still has a desire to ply his trade outside of T&T.

Phillip is coming to terms with the disappointment of T&T’s exit from the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign but is staying positive about the future of the game locally and his status as a goalkeeper.

He has had to contend for the number one spot with team-mate Jan-Michael Williams.

“It’s a good, solid competition and of course it helps us as players. At my age, I still have a lot to offer and if the opportunity comes to play outside of the Pro League then of course I will consider it.

Anything for development is important and if it can help me to become better as a player and for the country then that’s a good thing. As of now I think we just have to focus on coming back stronger despite whatever disappointments we’ve had to experience,” Phillip added.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Phillip wants foreign contract.

National Team goalkeeper Marvin Phillip still has a desire to ply his trade outside of T&T.

Phillip is coming to terms with the disappointment of T&T’s exit from the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign but is staying positive about the future of the game locally and his status as a goalkeeper.

He has had to contend for the number one spot with team-mate Jan-Michael Williams.

“It’s a good, solid competition and of course it helps us as players. At my age, I still have a lot to offer and if the opportunity comes to play outside of the Pro League then of course I will consider it.

Anything for development is important and if it can help me to become better as a player and for the country then that’s a good thing. As of now I think we just have to focus on coming back stronger despite whatever disappointments we’ve had to experience,” Phillip added.
this dude has to be seriously joking. after being part of three World Cup campaigns and failing miserably conceding the silliest of goals and can't tell when last he had a clean sheet in any competitive international friendly or other wise, why would any foreign team in their right mind contract a goal keeper who has failed even on the lowest level ( the pro league) is beyond my understanding ? And has the gall to talk about improving his game at this age and on the door steps of his retirement. i hope no other national coach present or in the future ever look to him and Jan williams as an option for future national service.

dennis Lawrence let's move onward, these are the players that should never be included in your team ever again.

jan micheal williams, marvin phillip, cleon john,

carlyle mitchell, daniel cyrus, kevon villaroel, aubrey david, alvin jones (Carlos edwards not because of ability but age).

houton hector, cordel cato, hashim arcia,

Willis plaza, Shadon winchester, cornel glen.

If Dennis Lawrence is serious about the future he will never call these guys up ever again. real dead wood IMO.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:17:38 PM by pull stones »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
I imagine, you have in mind a slew of unproven yet better replacements, just waiting to be called ?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
I imagine, you have in mind a slew of unproven yet better replacements, just waiting to be called ?
as a matter of fact I do.

Greg ranjitsingh, yohan welch.

Shannon gomez, noah powder, ryran innis, Robert primus.

Levi garcia, neval hackshaw, atulla guerra,

Jonathan glenn, Che benny, Andre fortune.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »

Thanks..Now Dennis Lawrence in the know... anybody else allowed to suggest to throw off guys and pick who they want or he should just listen to a certain few of us supporters ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:49:25 PM by maxg »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »

Full support Pull. We have an entire league of "professionals"...finding players for the national team should never be a problem. I agree that it's time to cut ALL the dead wood from the team. The scary thing is that the players that you called shouldn't even be getting a look at national team selection based on ability. That's just to show you how dire the situation really is. We going around in circles. It eh making sense.

Marvin Phillips is 33 going on 34....what outside contract he looking for? He probably want a contract to be the outside man for some gyal...Definetely not a professional playing contract. I wonder if these guys have a firm grip on reality and if there are people around to offer proper advice. They really need a quick wake up call in this country. Some people heads really in the clouds.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »

Shannon Gomez? He did not play once in 2 years at NYC and now sits on the bench in USL

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »

Shannon Gomez? He did not play once in 2 years at NYC and now sits on the bench in USL
understandably so, but I am talking future mate not immediate. Shannon may not have been active but he can't be any worst than aubrey and cyrus in that right back position, and i am sure that veira saw some sort of talent in the lad to bring him all the way to new york and another plus to his credit is that he is still very young. the reason why he was inactive and now plays in the USL was because of his severe injury and is on the road to recovery these things do take time but i am sure he learned quite a lot under viera watchful eyes and could become our new right full back given the chance.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »

understandably so, but I am talking future mate not immediate. Shannon may not have been active but he can't be any worst than aubrey and cyrus in that right back position, and i am sure that veira saw some sort of talent in the lad to bring him all the way to new york and another plus to his credit is that he is still very young. the reason why he was inactive and now plays in the USL was because of his severe injury and is on the road to recovery these things do take time but i am sure he learned quite a lot under viera watchful eyes and could become our new right full back given the chance.

He has green card and his agent is French. Was just a favor. If he can't start in USL he has no business on the National Team. I think Aubrey at least at Saprissa showed well. The problem is that Aubrey plays at the level of his teammates. He is not a difference maker.

The best solution is Mekeil Williams on the right where he excelled for the Rapids before they decided to move him to the left this season...and Keston Julien on the left who starts in Slovakia.

I think the best CBs pair and most complementary is Bateu and Weslie John who is good in the air unlike every other T&T player. John is also good with his feet which is a rarity in Trinidad.

Another good option is Jamal Jack who is among the few to play with balls. He has been a starter in Central America and USL for a reason. He is actually a decent defensive mid too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:13:49 AM by Dutty Love »

1]; } ?>