March 29, 2024, 02:22:37 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Phillip Thread  (Read 29741 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Phillip Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
I imagine, you have in mind a slew of unproven yet better replacements, just waiting to be called ?
as a matter of fact I do.

Greg ranjitsingh, yohan welch.

Shannon gomez, noah powder, ryran innis, Robert primus.

Levi garcia, neval hackshaw, atulla guerra,

Jonathan glenn, Che benny, Andre fortune.

Shannon Gomez? He did not play once in 2 years at NYC and now sits on the bench in USL
understandably so, but I am talking future mate not immediate. Shannon may not have been active but he can't be any worst than aubrey and cyrus in that right back position, and i am sure that veira saw some sort of talent in the lad to bring him all the way to new york and another plus to his credit is that he is still very young. the reason why he was inactive and now plays in the USL was because of his severe injury and is on the road to recovery these things do take time but i am sure he learned quite a lot under viera watchful eyes and could become our new right full back given the chance.

He has green card and his agent is French. Was just a favor. If he can't start in USL he has no business on the National Team. I think Aubrey at least at Saprissa showed well. The problem is that Aubrey plays at the level of his teammates. He is not a difference maker.

The best solution is Mekeil Williams on the right where he excelled for the Rapids before they decided to move him to the left this season...and Keston Julien on the left who starts in Slovakia.

I think the best CBs pair and most complementary is Bateu and Weslie John who is good in the air unlike every other T&T player. John is also good with his feet which is a rarity in Trinidad.

Another good option is Jamal Jack who is among the few to play with balls. He has been a starter in Central America and USL for a reason. He is actually a decent defensive mid too.
ive seen weslie John undear Steven hart and I wasn't impressed, maybe he grew since I last saw him but him and tristin hodges made the trip to south america last year where they underperformed. As for bateau that boy us very inconsistent and was terrible in our last few games which he made a lot of unforced errors and with the exception of mikeil in the left back position I don't see any other reason to keep any of these defenders we currently have. they would not even make it on the bench of one of these hexagonal teams but are our starters no wonder we bummed so terribly. I don't know Kenton julien but I'm willing to try anything but caryle mitchell, Daniel cyrus, Sheldon bateau, and aubrey david, it's very telling when a 38 year old defender came our of retirement and plays way better than you, IMO that speaks volumes.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
But ammmmm.......Sheldon Bateau playing at the highest level of our national players....he's playing in the Russian Premier League(well he's on loan elsewhere but still)

I think he is our next captain as long as he become consistent and remains in a top league.

I would get him to pair with Ryan Innis though....Ryan seems to be a traditional center half....when last we had someone like that Marvin Andrews?

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
I imagine, you have in mind a slew of unproven yet better replacements, just waiting to be called ?
as a matter of fact I do.

Greg ranjitsingh, yohan welch.

Shannon gomez, noah powder, ryran innis, Robert primus.

Levi garcia, neval hackshaw, atulla guerra,

Jonathan glenn, Che benny, Andre fortune.

Shannon Gomez? He did not play once in 2 years at NYC and now sits on the bench in USL
understandably so, but I am talking future mate not immediate. Shannon may not have been active but he can't be any worst than aubrey and cyrus in that right back position, and i am sure that veira saw some sort of talent in the lad to bring him all the way to new york and another plus to his credit is that he is still very young. the reason why he was inactive and now plays in the USL was because of his severe injury and is on the road to recovery these things do take time but i am sure he learned quite a lot under viera watchful eyes and could become our new right full back given the chance.

He has green card and his agent is French. Was just a favor. If he can't start in USL he has no business on the National Team. I think Aubrey at least at Saprissa showed well. The problem is that Aubrey plays at the level of his teammates. He is not a difference maker.

The best solution is Mekeil Williams on the right where he excelled for the Rapids before they decided to move him to the left this season...and Keston Julien on the left who starts in Slovakia.

I think the best CBs pair and most complementary is Bateu and Weslie John who is good in the air unlike every other T&T player. John is also good with his feet which is a rarity in Trinidad.

Another good option is Jamal Jack who is among the few to play with balls. He has been a starter in Central America and USL for a reason. He is actually a decent defensive mid too.
ive seen weslie John undear Steven hart and I wasn't impressed, maybe he grew since I last saw him but him and tristin hodges made the trip to south america last year where they underperformed. As for bateau that boy us very inconsistent and was terrible in our last few games which he made a lot of unforced errors and with the exception of mikeil in the left back position I don't see any other reason to keep any of these defenders we currently have. they would not even make it on the bench of one of these hexagonal teams but are our starters no wonder we bummed so terribly. I don't know Kenton julien but I'm willing to try anything but caryle mitchell, Daniel cyrus, Sheldon bateau, and aubrey david, it's very telling when a 38 year old defender came our of retirement and plays way better than you, IMO that speaks volumes.

You refer to that match vs Uruguay? He actually contained Cavani and was his first match playing along horrible players like Cyrus. You need to realize Concacaf is nowhere near Cavani type opponents, and any centre back will be made look weak if paired with a donkey or playing for a team that is constantly under pressure and has no ball posession. Over a season in Central America Weslie John was good which is more than the other options can do (Cyrus is a liability in Central America too). Bateau now plays in Kazikhstan which according to Aubrey is a lower level than Costa Rica primera...

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »
But ammmmm.......Sheldon Bateau playing at the highest level of our national players....he's playing in the Russian Premier League(well he's on loan elsewhere but still)

I think he is our next captain as long as he become consistent and remains in a top league.

I would get him to pair with Ryan Innis though....Ryan seems to be a traditional center half....when last we had someone like that Marvin Andrews?

He is in Kazikhstan now which is not even Costa Rica level league, hence it is probably USL, El Salvador or Honduras level at most.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »
Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip and defender Taryk Sampson have signed with Indian I-League club, Neroca FC. This is the first foreign contract for either player. Marvin is currently away on duty with the Trinidad and Tobago National Team for a pair of Concacaf Nations League matches against Martinique.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »
WATCH: Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip keen to get on with Senior Team training

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pjNSiLOvAKI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pjNSiLOvAKI</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2020, 06:32:39 PM »
What's the protocol in place to safeguard against spread among the players, coaches and support staff?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »
What's the protocol in place to safeguard against spread among the players, coaches and support staff?

I hear about temperature checks before and after sessions and wearing masks when you at de sidelines. I eh know what else in place.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »
WATCH: Goalkeeper Marvin Phillip shares his thoughts ahead of our opening 2022 World Cup qualifier against Guyana

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7VAReqtmOTA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7VAReqtmOTA</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
Start rebuilding now. Sancho, Phillip: Begin restructuring soon
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

National goalkeeper Marvin Phillip and 2006 World Cup defender Brent Sancho both agree there must be no postponement of the rebuilding of football in Trinidad and Tobago.

Sancho further indicates that the decision-makers have to meet soon and decide on the direction the team must take and whether interim coach Angus Eve is the one to take it forward.

“The problems that football has in Trinidad, inclusive of the national team, are bigger than the (national team) job itself,” Sancho suggests.

Phillip, 36, admits to T&T having a horrible Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign. He also believes the Soca warriors must begin immediately to build on the gains made during the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Phillip has had a roller coaster role on the national team and admits to having considered quitting at one point. He has had stints as the first call but has also had to play a secondary role to the now retired Jan-Michael Williams, the younger Adrian Foncette and more recently, Denmark-born Nicklas Frenderup. The Gold Cup has seen a resurgence of Phillip’s role as he started matches against Mexico (0-0), where he was named Man-of-the-Match, and Guatemala (1-1), where he gave another heroic performance.

“Unfortunately, we did not go onto the second stage, but players can still hold their heads high and be proud of the small accomplishment,” states Phillip, who believes that now is the time to get the role of permanent coach squared away and for the rebuilding to start.

“We definitely need to get our house in order. In the past we always wait last-minute for when something is coming up to organise and then expect the team to do well,” he says. “We (need to) put things in place from now, try to build on this performance from now, and get in a head coach so there can be programmes heading into the Nations League.”

Having been relegated from League A of the Nations League, an achievable incentive for the national team would be to qualify directly for the 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup by winning one of the likely three groups in the less competitive League B grouping, which contains the likes of French Guiana, Guatemala, Guadeloupe and Montserrat.

“We definitely need to put things together so we stand a good chance of qualifying for these tournaments,” Phillip adds. Another big incentive for the national coach, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association TTFA and the normalisation committee, is to improve T&T’s current #13 ranking in CONCACAF and get back among the top six—which will offer the team an automatic qualifying route to the final stage of World Cup qualifying.

Sancho believes that if given the nod, Eve will have to orchestrate a restructuring of the national team while at the same time winning matches.

“From a development standpoint, from the player pool that he has, all these things have to come into play,” Sancho says.

In the short term, if given the job full-time, Eve will probably retain the experience of Sheldon Bateau, Aubrey David, Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones and captain Khaleem Hyland. However, he now has likely and younger replacements available in Keston Julien (22), Triston Hodge (26), Jesse Williams (20) Jelani Peters, Justin Garcia, Noah Powder (22), Shannon Gomez (25), Levi Garcia, Ross Russell Jr and Alvin Jones.

There are also potential young recruits further up-field in Justin Araujo-Wilson (18), Che Benny (20), Molik Khan (18), Akeem Roach (25), Kathon St Hillaire (23), Daniel Phillip (20), Jomal Wiliams (27), Neveal Hackshaw, Duane Muckette (26), Shaqueen Joseph, Molik Khan, Isaiah Lee (21), Isaiah Hudson, Akeem Garcia, Ryan Rampersad, Justin Sadoo and Tyrel “Pappy” Emmanuel, along with those who will emerge from the local league.

Sancho says the decision-makers now have to make firm choices about the direction the national team and T&T football heads in.

“Is it now that we want a developmental team with 2026 in mind? Do we want a competitive team, keeping some of the older heads? Are we going to stand to recruit overseas players, and what will that look like?” asks Sancho. “And then you could ask yourselves, who is the right person to move this forward?”

Both Phillip and Sancho agree that Eve has brought some positives to the national team.

“From where the team was, to where he brought it off the field, in terms of the camaraderie, playing for the shirt, team spirit, I think he has done an outstanding job of doing that in a short space of time, Sancho states.

Phillip also endorses the work Eve did at the Gold Cup, having worked with Club Sando for the first time.

“He (Eve) came in a very short space of time and a lot of people may have written him off due to the campaign we had in the World Cup qualifiers. He brought a different aura to the team, a different level of team spirit; helping the guys to believe in themselves; always there to give a listening ear to the players,” Phillip testifies. “That augured well for the team during the tournament and hopefully he (can) get the chance to carry on and take Trinidad and Tobago Football forward.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
Sancho believes that if given the nod, Eve will have to orchestrate a restructuring of the national team while at the same time winning matches.

“From a development standpoint, from the player pool that he has, all these things have to come into play,” Sancho says.

In the short term, if given the job full-time, Eve will probably retain the experience of Sheldon Bateau, Aubrey David, Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones and captain Khaleem Hyland. However, he now has likely and younger replacements available in Keston Julien (22), Triston Hodge (26), Jesse Williams (20) Jelani Peters, Justin Garcia, Noah Powder (22), Shannon Gomez (25), Levi Garcia, Ross Russell Jr and Alvin Jones.

There are also potential young recruits further up-field in Justin Araujo-Wilson (18), Che Benny (20), Molik Khan (18), Akeem Roach (25), Kathon St Hillaire (23), Daniel Phillip (20), Jomal Wiliams (27), Neveal Hackshaw, Duane Muckette (26), Shaqueen Joseph, Molik Khan, Isaiah Lee (21), Isaiah Hudson, Akeem Garcia, Ryan Rampersad, Justin Sadoo and Tyrel “Pappy” Emmanuel, along with those who will emerge from the local league.

pullstones, look like Sancho reading your comments on this forum boy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:30:17 AM by Deeks »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2021, 01:27:30 PM »

i don't think so deeks. he's advocating for eve and i'm in strong opposition to his appointment, he's talking about comradery with the players and i say that players should be able to be motivated even if playing for the devil as a coach, once they understand that they are out there playing for the shirt and the flag, not a doting grandfather favorite uncle coach to be motivated to play or country. trinis will get nowhere if we don't toughen up, our youths are way too sensitive to survive the rigors of the modern sporting environment.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »

i don't think so deeks. he's advocating for eve and i'm in strong opposition to his appointment, he's talking about comradery with the players and i say that players should be able to be motivated even if playing for the devil as a coach, once they understand that they are out there playing for the shirt and the flag, not a doting grandfather favorite uncle coach to be motivated to play or country. trinis will get nowhere if we don't toughen up, our youths are way too sensitive to survive the rigors of the modern sporting environment.

If Brent Sancho was advocating for Eve he would have said so. What I've heard him state is a broader concern regarding the ecosystem of football and how that ecosystem should influence coach selection. On that I think he has a point that should be difficult to ignore.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2023, 01:34:37 PM »
Veteran Soca Warriors' goalkeeper Marvin Phillip retires with 'heavy heart'
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

Longstanding Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Marvin Phillip has announced his retirement from international duty with the men's football team, 16 years after making his debut versus Panama at the Estadio Rommel Fernandez Gutierrez in Panama City.

Phillip, 39, took to Instagram early on Thursday to relay the news, saying: "It comes with a heavy heart and sadness that I announce I'm hanging up my gloves with immediate effect from the national stage."

Best known for his shot-stopping ability and his cat-like reflexes between the sticks, Phillip made 92 appearances for the Soca Warriors and also served as team captain on several occasions.

Under current senior team coach Angus Eve, Phillip led the team as skipper in two matches at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup and also captained the team at the beginning of the 2022/23 Concacaf Nations League campaign. Phillip played the solitary match for T&T at the 2023 Gold Cup tournament – a thumping 6-0 loss to the US in July. That was his last match for the Soca Warriors.

T&T will lock horns once more with the US in the 2023 Concacaf Nations League A quarter-finals this month, but Eve will not be able to rely on the "role model" figure of Phillip. The T&T team finished second behind Panama in their Nations League A group, with Phillip left out of the squad for those matches.

Eve commended Phillip's leadership over the years and thanked him for his influence on T&T's current crop of goalkeepers: Christopher Biggette (27), Nicklas Frenderup (30), Denzil Smith (24) and Jabari St Hillaire (23).

"Marvin would have been tremendous in allowing Frenderup to settle in and be a part of the process as he was a foreign-based player," Eve told Newsday.

"Marvin has been there mentoring (Denzil) and working with him day in, day out. He has been a role model to these guys in the way he has carried about himself. He would just let them know what to expect at this level because he has seen it all.

"I can't (over-)emphasise how important he was from a leadership and mentorship standpoint with the group."

Before his senior team debut versus Panama in 2007, Phillip showed promise at both the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) and national youth level. In September 2001, he was T&T's starting goalkeeper for the Fifa under-17 World Cup which was played in T&T.

Phillip reflected on his memories of wearing the red, white and black.

"I must say this is an extremely difficult moment for me right now," Phillip said in his Instagram post. "As I'm reflecting about my career as a national player from when I represented us as an under-17 player competing in a youth World Cup in 2001, to being on the senior team throughout until 2023, I'm very glad and grateful for everything I've accomplished at the national level."

Eve also spoke to Phillip's longevity.

"To say Phillip's retirement was a surprise or a sudden departure, I probably might say no. Marvin has been a fantastic servant to the country," Eve said. "He and the guys did really well in the youth World Cup (in 2001) and from there he just went on from strength to strength."

But, he added, "In everything we do, there is change and he is getting on in age. We had spoken about him taking up more of a coaching role sometime in the future.

"If he thinks it's the right time for him to hang up his gloves, I want to continue to wish him all the best. He knows if he needs any help or assistance from me, it is always there."

At senior level, Phillip had a healthy tussle for T&T's number-one goalkeeping spot with Jan-Michael Williams, whose own senior team career spanned from 2003-2017.

Eve says he welcomes the competition in the goalkeeping department.

"There is a battle for the number-one spot and players have to grab the opportunity," he said. "I remember back in the day (we had goalkeepers like) Clayton Ince, Ross Russell and Shaka Hislop and these guys when I was playing. They were fighting for the number-one spot and they were all fantastic goalkeepers. Marvin had to battle with Jan-Michael (Williams) for most of his career.

"I think we are in a good place. Maybe Marvin is clearing the way for somebody to come and establish themselves as the new number one."

Phillip has spent most of his playing career in T&T, with W Connection, Central FC and Point Fortin Civic being some of the teams he has represented. Phillip won the Caribbean Club Championship with Connection in the 2008/09 season and turned out for T&T in four Gold Cups.

Earlier this year, Phillip helped AC Port of Spain to a second-place finish in the inaugural T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) season.

He vowed to keep on plying his trade locally.

"I won't be leaving the game just yet, but I'll continue contributing professionally in the local leagues, playing and sharing my knowledge I gained throughout my career.

"I thoroughly enjoyed every second of playing football for my country and being allowed to represent (T&T) at the highest level was indeed and truly a great blessing indeed."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2023, 06:33:03 PM »
Goalie Marvin Phillip charting his new career off the field
By Jovan Ravello (T&T Guardian)

From Eccles Village to the world, Marvin Phillip has lived and played every young footballer’s dream. The long-term Trinidad and Tobago Senior National Football team goalkeeper called time on his international career on November 2 but isn’t done with the sport.

The Soca Warrior’s second most-capped goalie (92) and a true legend in his own right took a moment from training to speak with Guardian Media Sports Senior Reporter/Producer JOVAN RAVELLO about his journey.

Sunday Guardian: You recently announced your retirement from international football. How did you arrive at this point?

Marvin Phillip: It’s a bit hard to leave the game I’ve been playing for quite several years, but this decision came through having discussions with my family. It wasn’t an overnight decision, I’ve been thinking about this for a year, and a half. Speaking with my wife and kids, they felt I should leave while I’m on top.

Sunday Guardian: A lot of people say goalkeepers have a screw loose. How did you decide to pick up gloves?

Marvin: All goalkeepers have their story, mine is probably the same as many others. I didn’t start as a goalkeeper, I started as a striker. There was an Under-15 match, and the keeper didn’t come that day, I decided to go in the goal and a coach, Mr. James saw me that day, invited me to play with Gasparillo Youths and from there it was history.

Sunday Guardian: Who was the most influential coach/administrator in your career?

Marvin: I have to go back to where it all started. It all started with Mr Oswald James. I would like to thank him. He saw something in me that I didn’t even see. He said he saw potential in me as a ‘keeper at that young age. I was like whatever and just going along. So I’d like to express my gratitude to him because he kickstarted my career.

Sunday Guardian: How did that set your vision for the rest of your life?

Marvin: To be honest, football in that community wasn’t the first sport. The first sport was cricket, so back in the day cricket season was from January to probably about June; then football for the rest of the year. Many people don’t know this but my first time on a national team would’ve been as an Under-13 cricketer.

Later, I had the chance to play football and there was the ICN/CLICO Under-13 tournament trying to prepare a team for (the FIFA Under-17 World Cup) 2001 everything just fell into place with me being selected and being under the wing of (Strike Squad goalkeeper) Michael Maurice.

Sunday Guardian: You have a pretty rare record, winning both football and cricket Intercol titles. How did you manage that?

Marvin: Back in the day, I went to a school that was playing both sports, before winning those titles I was doing the same at Presentation College. At Princes Town they didn’t want me to play any cricket at all. I had some cousins on the cricket team and they begged me to play and everything worked out.

Sunday Guardian: How important was that time at Princes Town? It was a pretty exciting team, even though we beat you guys in Moruga.

Marvin: (laughs) Firstly lemme say this, on record, Moruga always used to give us trouble down in Moruga, but when they out of Moruga was easy pickings (laugh). Being at Princes Town, it wasn’t hard playing on that team; we had the likes of (Anthony) Noriega who was a former national defender, the now deceased Clyde Leon, Linsie Sherwood, Andrei Pacheco. So Coach Gill had nothing else but to get us to play a nice style of football together and we won a national championship

Sunday Guardian: What was the first time throwing on that national kit like?

Marvin: It is always an honour to represent your country, from the youth level. It was a bit difficult being screened with about 300-400 from around Trinidad and Tobago and being in the final cut it was definitely an honour. We know football was on a high from 2006, but after that, there were a couple of players who were blacklisted and everything just fell into place for me from 2007 until 2023 when I announced my international retirement.

Sunday Guardian: Talk to me about the ride as a national senior footballer.

Marvin: It wasn’t a perfect ride, I would’ve had a lot more ups than downs, a lot of turbulence along the way but I saw it through, those times. And I think I represented my country well.

Sunday Guardian: What were some of the proudest moments?

Marvin: I could pinpoint a lot; World Cup qualifiers in Costa Rica. I had a tremendous outing there; my most recent would’ve been against Mexico in the 2021 Gold Cup, and just before that a friendly in Japan under coach Dennis (Lawrence), three would’ve been the proudest for me.

Sunday Guardian: The Mexico game in particular was a heated atmosphere. What kind of feelings were you going through?

Marvin: As players you live to play these games. Playing Mexico in the States you could say it was a home game, the stadium had about 70,000 Mexicans, definitely a hostile environment. But as the game went along- the team playing well, I making some saves, they felt the pressure and fortunately for us, we came out with a draw.

Sunday Guardian: People, including me, don’t understand what it is to be a professional footballer, can you try to explain it?

Marvin: It’s difficult, really difficult. Some people may think that it’s just three hours of training for the day and that’s it. But to be a top player you need to put in the work. If you don’t you definitely won’t have success. You need to put in the work, on the field, off the field, in your habits, diet, and rest, it’s hard work but after that, you’ll reap the rewards.

Sunday Guardian: More recently we’ve seen younger keepers like Denzil Smith, and Christopher Biggette making the step up, how do you feel about the next generation of glovemen?

Marvin: Our country is blessed, because throughout the years we had tremendous goalkeepers from Lincoln Phillips, Earl Carter, Michael Maurice, Ross Russell, Clayton Ince, Kelvin Jack, Shaka Hislop, after those names myself, Durance Williams, Cleon John, Jan Micahel Williams. So now these youngsters are making the transition, it’s good for them.

Denzil has been knocking on the door for quite a while, he’s young, and he has a lot to learn but as you can see, he’s ready for the international level

Sunday Guardian: How do you feel about the current crop of national players?

Marvin: Our football wasn’t on a high for quite a while, kudos to the coach, he’s gotten some good results recently where a lot of people wouldn’t have had any hope, so I think once the team sticks together, works hard and [PP1] goes out there and performs I think we’re in a good place right now heading into the 2026 World Cup campaign.

Sunday Guardian: Is your club career still alive? How much longer do you think you can compete at the highest level?

Marvin: I’ll be playing football in the TTPFL this year, and be mentoring some youths as well at whatever club I’ll be at.

Sunday Guardian: Is coaching the next step for you?

Marvin: I’m currently finishing some licenses, I already have my goalkeeper certificate so most likely early next year, I’ll be with (the coaching staff) of a club for the TTPFL Youth League.

Sunday Guardian: How does it feel to walk away?

Marvin: It’s a bit sad but I’m very proud of what I accomplished in my career, I’m very proud of what I’m still accomplishing as a player and as a human being.

My wife, thanks to her, has been a pillar towards the things I’ve been doing, my mom, and my dad have been a tremendous support and my kids as well, they support me in everything I do.

1]; } ?>