April 19, 2024, 03:51:52 PM

Author Topic: Miss T&T Universe & Miss World Thread  (Read 79103 times)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: No TT queen for Miss Universe, Miss World
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
alot of the girls in the US enter for scholarships, career advancement opportunities etc.   in some countries like venezuela and puerto rico this thing is big business. i know for a fact in venezuela these girls are groomed from smal.

i remember too when me and my pardna went on an exchange program to puerto rico in 2000, a full two years after wendy won the crown, on learning we were from trinidad, people were quick to talk about wendy and also the fact that she beat miss puerto rico into second place that year  :o

in 2001 denise quiñones won miss universe (she is a good friend of my wife's best friend) and it was pandemonium.  strangely though, when i was in dominican republic in 2003 and amelia vega won (that girl is class) the reaction was more muted. i feel is b/c DR has so many problems that people don't really care about beauty pageants. it certainly wasn't the topic of conversation among the folks i spoke too.

Offline d1onlysexysugar

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »
true it has degraded ... but 2 do away wit it is not good .... (well i really wanted 2 say horrible but some may fine i'm plastic )
dats 1 of d best experiences in d delegates lives ... whether or not dey win ... dey on live TV  :devil:
ADM

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »
The pageants operate on several levels
1. as a business for the operators
2. as an opportunity for the contestants to have a great experience and represent their country in their own way (not everybody is a sportsman or entertainer)
3. as a way for countries to see themselves in a forum (tv) which is dominated by American culture.
4. as a way for countries to pormote themselves

Now I am not a big beauty pageant fan, but I recognize that there are benefits - mostly intangible.
My problem with this situation is that the local franchise holder, gained the franchise - competed for it in fact, with an eye toward the business opportunities involvement would bring, whether via direct income, or prestige, referrals etc that would boost his other endeavors. The business plan of this operator appears to be to gain revenue by selling advertising (that is all sponsorship is). The operator was unable to fund his operation, and thus turned to the Government to bail him out in the name of the public good.

I have no problems with that, other than the Government should now be the franchise holder and accrue any benefits gained. as a result.

The distinction between Miss Universe and the World Cup is that the sporting organizations are generally non-profit organizations (whether by design of by skill of management) and are there to oversee the sport and maintain progress. If the T&T curling association cannot sustain itself via new membership and public exposure, it will die.

There may only be 5 sporting associations in T&t who can be self sustaining.

in the end though, it's all down to motive i think. If I use the argument about promoting T&T, I can promote a big fete and then if things looking brown, ask the Gov't for a bailout because it showing on BET which has x million viewers...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 05:58:18 PM »
t&t have a curling association??

wha trouble is dis
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 08:20:36 AM »

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,56529.html

No TT beauty for Miss Universe

Friday, May 4 2007

FOR the first time in 16 years, Trinidad and Tobago will not be represented at the Miss Universe competition. The competition will lack the “Trini flavour” and a “Tobago dumpling” because no contestant from this country will compete.

Last year’s contestant, Kenisha Thom-Selvon, yesterday bemoaned the absence from the competion of a TT representative and appealed to government and corporate sponsors for assistance. Saying that the competition “helps to elevate and uplift our women” Thom-Selvon who last year made it among the top ten finalists, said that this country was not without class and beauty to compete internationally. “Our contestants usually do well,” she said.

In March, Culture and Community Development Minister, Joan Yuille-Williams, referring to the lack of a delegate this year, had commented: “We are going to try and rectify that.” Peter Elias, Director of TT Miss Universe Pageant, maintained: “We will not be attending Miss Universe as it was way impossibly too late.”

Elias said that other Miss Universe representatives were already in Mexico where this year’s competition is to be held, preparing for the May 28 event.. Elias had initially announced that TT was not going to be represented due to the lack of funding.

Saying that he had not received “one cent” from anyone, Elias said: “This is a full-time project which requires financial support in order to adequately prepare delegates and maintain our level of success.” He added that he had written to over a hundred companies and government agencies for sponsorship.

In 1977, Penny Commissiong-Chow was the first TT delegate to be crowned Miss Universe and in 1998, Wendy Fitzwilliam continued to make TT proud when she was crowned queen.
spacer

only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 09:47:10 AM »
ah say we slap on some make-up do some liposuction and send one ah we girls from de forum.who up to de task,sugar,cana or queen. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
ah say we slap on some make-up do some liposuction and send one ah we girls from de forum.who up to de task,sugar,cana or queen. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cana will most likely cuss out de judges if she dont win  ;D
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wham Jack Black list the miss Universe too
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »
I was Just flipping through the channels and I noticed that Miss Universe was on. But when they get to the "T's" I did not see any trinidad and tobago.

anybody know what is up with that one.

Jack put she on a Ban too or what ;D

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 08:34:57 PM »

Cana will most likely cuss out de judges if she dont win  ;D

PJays i ain't seeing ya dese days....ya hiding ???

and no i'll win because meh family judging  ;D
what i'll get vex is if somebody in dey audience bawl out meh name for everybody to hear..

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

make up and liposuction on who ?
not from what i see nah...

Capo take it from me eh...you ain't know what beauty behind dey monitor screens in here
and dey ain't need ah competition to tell dem what dey already know  :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 07:06:34 AM »

Capo take it from me eh...you ain't know what beauty behind dey monitor screens in here

i humbly beg fuh forgiveness. ::)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »
by de way japan win,brazil come 2nd.miss usa break she ass on stage.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 07:51:30 AM »
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjbp3d7y3i8

The radio this morning was trying to frame it like the Mexicans was booing because of immigration. But they was booing b/c she fall down and still make the top 5, while Miss Mexico get ride out.

Is a B/S pageant anyway and anyone who thinks a country gets some sort of boost from seeing Miss Botswana on stage for 15 seconds is deluded.

Miss Virginia and Mrs World are much more entertaining, though for different reasons.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 08:59:37 AM »

Lord... I eh even get ah honourable mention self.   ::)
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »

doh come and roll up ya eye ball for meh nuh
but ah telling ya eh...if ya see dey beauties on dis side ah dey forum Capo, ya go get bazodee, chupid, stupid and dotish in one shot. :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »

but ah telling ya eh...if ya see dey beauties on dis side ah dey forum Capo, ya go get bazodee, chupid, stupid and dotish in one shot. :beermug:

send ah pic,let me be de judge.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 12:27:25 PM »

I so know dat dat was comin.  Since I didn't get no mention, I keep meh negatives and ting close.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »

I so know dat dat was comin.  Since I didn't get no mention, I keep meh negatives and ting close.
sweetness is not that i leave yuh out, i was keepin u fuh miss world. ;D

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 02:29:16 PM »
Quote from:
[quote

sweetness is not that i leave yuh out, i was keepin u fuh miss world. ;D

oh gyadooooooooo....Capo..yuh is a boss oui.  Dat is ah good come back.  Yuh ketch meh!!  But yuh still eh gettin no pic!!  ;D

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
MISS T&T Universe/World
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
2 very lovely and by all accounts intelligent women won..this year.
one is a chinne de next one ah indian.. ;D ;D ;D

DOH drool to much capo

Notice the charitable organisation the miss universe a member off..
oh tallman any comments..lol :rotfl: :rotfl:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: MISS T&T Universe/World
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »
I wasnt looking for either of them to represent us.

When they had the girls in the papers it was a syrian/whitey was the front runner and a darkie with some big bress second.

But I see the politics in this move.

Ms. Universe in Vietnam....all the judges go be Asian and the Asian countries will get it 1,2,3,4,5.

So we put in a Chinee to play the game.

Normal ting.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
The judges are usually from all over the world.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
The Westmoorings crowd should be happy.

...it have 'show jumping' in Trinidad???
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:58:49 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
actually there are a few show jumping competitions that take place in trinidad...Up past Cascadia hotel they have a place there and places in de east have competitions as well.
As for de winner..steupse..i happy for de family since they recently lost a son in one of the big accidents on de highway in august las year. But Anya eh no beauty queen IMO..dat girl been trouble from day she born! Would have preferred Gabby or anyone else
on in the competition winning it over Anya.
Plus to me seeing a beauty queen rolling she own cigarettes jus doh look rite..dunno why i jus doh like it
BnS i sure yuh right tho...Westmoorings jumping for joy! good ting i from south yes..westmoorings pple does get good licks on dis site!
Back in Trini...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »
2 very lovely and by all accounts intelligent women won..this year.
one is a chinne de next one ah indian.. ;D ;D ;D

DOH drool to much capo

Notice the charitable organisation the miss universe a member off..
oh tallman any comments..lol :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gabrielle Walcott is a Indian?  ???
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30:58 PM »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
those are some fine specimens,remind me of 1996 when i dated a contestant,back then she was from de agency carivog.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
I see ah bunch of dem at Zen last week and wasn't impressed to be honest.

Re: Show jumping. There's a place just after where the police dem does train the horses that teaches show jumping.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »
actually there are a few show jumping competitions that take place in trinidad...Up past Cascadia hotel they have a place there and places in de east have competitions as well.
As for de winner..steupse..i happy for de family since they recently lost a son in one of the big accidents on de highway in august las year. But Anya eh no beauty queen IMO..dat girl been trouble from day she born! Would have preferred Gabby or anyone else
Plus to me seeing a beauty queen rolling she own cigarettes jus doh look rite..dunno why i jus doh like it
BnS i sure yuh right tho...Westmoorings jumping for joy! good ting i from south yes..westmoorings pple does get good licks on dis site!

Are u serious? dat alone shoud disqualify she...

Buh anyways from de pics both ah dem look good to me  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »
a.dat girl been trouble from day she born! Would have preferred Gabby or anyone else
:rotfl:

lawd...Trini could buss ah files eh?

Ah feel da gyirl give yuh ah tabanca in ah fete, dais why yuh sprinkle dat post wit so much Angostura  ;D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>