March 29, 2024, 09:36:08 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad and Tobago's PFL: How does it survive?  (Read 9276 times)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago's PFL: How does it survive?
« on: July 22, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »
I'm sure this topic has been breached before so moderators feel free to merge this thread with the appropriate thread(s).

How does the PFL in T&T survivie? Where do the monies to pay salaries(players and staff) come from? Since there is not much in the way of marketing and or corporate sponsorship, nor matches being broadcast either on TV or radio(as far as I know) etc how can this league possibly survive or improve?

I'm really interested in some feedback here folks. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:34:23 AM by Pointman »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad and Tobago's PFL: How does it survive?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:51:05 AM »
I think they need to draw the crowds to the games first, then try to get it on TV..to broaden the viewership.

Local artists should sponsor halftime perfomances for certain games to attract more crowds..
TV stations should sponsor a half hr or hour every week to showcase past games...
Also the Pro league should be recording all games and send it to Media houses..even international ones with a little run down on the big games...Marketing is the key..

Big Up!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:24:20 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:28:54 PM »
good question

if you see the amount ah people does go them games compared to the money dem making

to me it look like them properly well sponsored cause intercol games more expensive than ah pro-league game and twice as entertaining. ;D ;D

go malick :rotfl:

iz $20 fuh ah double header??? ah box ah rib-house iz more
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:30:29 PM by morvant »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »
good question

if you see the amount ah people does go them games compared to the money dem making

to me it look like them properly well sponsored cause intercol games more expensive than ah pro-league game and twice as entertaining. ;D ;D

How is it that Intercol has a better following than the PFL is it solely based on tradition? Are the fans at intercol matches made up in the main of alumni from the various schools? is it ah better lime? What's the demographics at these intercol games?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:50:09 PM »
good question

How is it that Intercol has a better following than the PFL is it solely based on tradition? Are the fans at intercol matches made up in the main of alumni from the various schools? is it ah better lime? What's the demographics at these intercol games?
Most people went to high school so can identify with Intercol and the rivalry between the schools..... When the rivalry between the PFL teams and comunities build up then we will see the crowds.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:55:22 PM »
good question

Most people went to high school so can identify with Intercol and the rivalry between the schools..... When the rivalry between the PFL teams and comunities build up then we will see the crowds.

How would that happen if there's no marketing of the PFL teams...at any level?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »
good question

Somebody need to send them a application together with a marketing plan

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 05:58:49 PM »
My Brethrin mentioned to me once that intercol is the closest thing we have to the premiership in terms of the passion. Thus the necessary ingredient for instilling passion.........encourage it to be community based. Setting up youth programs for youths in the area and integrating them into the team at all junior as well as PFL levels would benifit all involved. Planning and execution however would be the problem............and desire for long term results would be necessary. This would not really glean results immediately......but the final long term benifit to trinidad football cannot be denied. The question on how to build that rivalry between communities safely though is a next problem. There can always be the risk of rivalry going too far......and being dangerous.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 07:15:15 PM »
good question

Somebody need to send them a application together with a marketing plan

according to the pfl website, they HAVE a marketing plan - at least they had one in 2002. well, maybe they need a next oneĀ  ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »
It have so much goin on that the PFL is just one option. So while we all luv football. We have other interest so we have to split the limited time that we have.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 09:23:45 PM »
good question

yuh like yuh rib house eh.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »
You mean the national league is not broadcasted on radio or tv in Trinidad? NPL games are broadcasted live on Wednesday and Sundays on radio, and live once per week on tv

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
You mean the national league is not broadcasted on radio or tv in Trinidad? NPL games are broadcasted live on Wednesday and Sundays on radio, and live once per week on tv

New face for Super League
Roger Seepersad

Friday, July 14th 2006

B-Mobile National Super League Technical Director, Douglas James, centre, looks on as Anthony Harford, left, chats with Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) president, Oliver Camps, at the launch of the League, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium yesterday.

With a new sponsor in TSTT, the National Super League hopes to make the 2006 season even more competitive and entertaining than previous years.

Now called the B-Mobile National Super League, more teams will battle for TT$100,000 in addition to TT$30,000 for the Knock-Out Competition.

This was announced at a press conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, yesterday.

TTFF president Oliver Camps outlined the new structure of the league. He said the top teams will compete in a Big Four Championship.

"The goal of the Super League remains the same...to prepare the clubs for entry into the Pro League".

A new television programme, Football 06, is being developed. The programme will deal with the Super League in particular, as well as the progress of our national footballers playing at home and abroad.
The League kicks off next Thursday, July 20.

Warrior For Life !!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 12:33:35 PM »

This is precisely the kind of thing I'm talking about. Live broadcasts of the games, be it loca(ie just for that particular region/area)l or national. Also live TV coverage or at least highlights.

Reggae Fan...what the turn out like at local NPL games? generally speaking.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »
One comment that kept coming out of Germany when they profiled TNT was that we were known for cricket and I kept saying huh, football has just as strong a foothold here as cricket.
It is lack of coverage on Television.

Some of my marketing suggestions

We have players from other islands here and we should be selling broadcast rights to stations across the region who want to follow their country men.

Get the Pro teams affiliated to one school teamĀ  in their area or two and channel the prospects into the team for youth league training programmes and competitions after their Secondary life is over. This would ensure that the guys keep on playing and mature to make it into the first team and ultimately to National selection. There are many guys who don't get scholarships and live out their playing days at home without any exposure abroad.

Have the Pro league teams themselves appoint agents to manage the careers of the players and sell them to the International community. It's a business out there and we have to get aggressive in this regard.

Set up an Inter island College league tournament where the top two schools teams from each island get to compete against each other

Also a regional club tournament among the pro teams in the Caribbean

At the grassroots level, have the clubs go visit the schools get the players involved with the youth and get them excited about fooball that they would persuade parents to come out and see their teams. Jerseys, memorabilia, autograph sessions all are tools to use to promote!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:01:11 PM by grskywalker »

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 01:08:18 PM »
Main source of income for the PFL is sale of players overseas.

That is where most of the money will come from

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
I notice that Jabloteh recently put up a board to highlight their fixtures at the Gas station on the corner by Mt. lambert. I think this is a good idea to get the community in the know. the people in the area now seeing the fixtures and soon they'll get the idea that this team is theirs'.
I don't know if any other teams do something like this....

Offline joadav

• New Warrior
  • Tortola BVI here I come!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »
They (Jabloteh) also have signs in St Joseph and on the Saddle Road in Bourg Mulatress, I'm not sure where else.
*ht007

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 03:34:22 PM »
mybe this answer the question

http://www.ttproleague.com/about_us.htm
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
mybe this answer the question

http://www.ttproleague.com/about_us.htm
Thanks, I sent them an email, hopefully they'll respond in a timely manner :D

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 07:30:32 PM »
I notice that Jabloteh recently put up a board to highlight their fixtures at the Gas station on the corner by Mt. lambert. I think this is a good idea to get the community in the know. the people in the area now seeing the fixtures and soon they'll get the idea that this team is theirs'.
I don't know if any other teams do something like this....

The stadia should start doing this too, there is no signage outside of Manny Ramjohn stadium indicating when matches are, that real poor man. I don't know if the other stadia have boards with information up though. As the others said, marketing is the fundamental key in growing and developing the PFL. If the marketing is done right there will be greater support and a greater effort by the players to impress the crowd.
Yuh have to literally search the newspapers to find out when and where the next match is, yuh don't hear a thing about it on the radio and the highlights I see on the news is so short, is almost like they don't want to show anything at all and thats just wrong.  We all need to do our part to prevent the local football from fading out of existance
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline baby face

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »
dere is normally a good set of people at d game an many companies sponsor d team an d tournament. rite now dey advertisin d games on d radio an jabloteh putin up sign so pull crowd at d games.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »
dere is normally a good set of people at d game an many companies sponsor d team an d tournament. rite now dey advertisin d games on d radio an jabloteh putin up sign so pull crowd at d games.

This is  something the league should do as well not just the individual teams

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 10:15:04 AM »
Does anyone know if the corporate sponsors advertize on the teams' jerseys? or in the various stadia? How is the sponsorship done?

What kind of deals(if any) does the PFL have with the media(mainly TV and radio)?

Also Baby face...when you say a "good set of people" what figures are you talking about? Do the teams fill ,or even half fill, the venues where they play?

Offline fire

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 12:35:25 PM »
I didn't see any corporate names on some of the teams last night at the Larry Gomes.  In fact, I didn't even see names of the teams on the jerseys!

The car park was full (the fenced area) but the numbers were small inside...

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 02:19:56 PM »
I does be one to bash PFL for their lck of organisation, but really and truly when I work the maths, maybe we expecting too much from the PFL oui.
If we have 1.3 million people in the country....
If yuh minus old people and little children, sick and bed-ridden, church-goers and jobless, those who doh like football or jes doh care for a club game, and people who hadda wuk on game day and the cheapos...yuh might end up with a handful of people left over.  When yuh split up that number into four games on the same day...it doh have much to go around  ;D ;D ;D

But seriously, marketing will definitely help eh...but when the frigging NATIONAL TEAM playing...we can't even full the stadium...how attendance go rise for the PFL.

Allyuh want to increase attendance, bring back Yorke and Latas to play in the PFL  ;D

When we play Grenada them two games the other day, it probably had about 1000 people in the stands...and we had a couple warriors on the team then.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
What allyuh think about creating rivalries? Real or imagined. Just like how boxing does hype up a fight with weigh-in arguements(guntalk) and fights and ting.

Just to generate interest...ole talk about who is de best team in South or East or North but it has to be publisized in the media. Of course the individuals would have to do this, I'm not advocating for the league to start something like this.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »
since we talking about the pro league- answer this- where does the super league fit in?? ???
which is bigger? what is bigger anyhow- more prize money? more sponsors?
educate me- I really don't know too many details it's a little confusing for my ole brain... ;D

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
since we talking about the pro league- answer this- where does the super league fit in?? ???
which is bigger? what is bigger anyhow- more prize money? more sponsors?
educate me- I really don't know too many details it's a little confusing for my ole brain... ;D

Miss Ann, check out the PFL's website(link above in Themanfriday's post) they talked abot the super league there.
P.S.
I love old brains ;D

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 05:06:35 AM »
If I decided to start a TV deal to broadcast TTPL in T&T at this very instant, would I make money? Would I get enough sponsors to fill the ad spaces? Surely there can be enough companies willing to pay for ad space in T&T. Make a match of the day tradition and let it roll. Problem is i think the TTPL is too unstable for anyone to even begin this kind of venture. If i could get some kind of insurance for a league shutdown then Id start up this TV deal
Hart for president

1]; } ?>