March 29, 2024, 08:14:04 AM

Author Topic: Grenadian has Aspirations for South Africa in 2010  (Read 6273 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Grenadian has Aspirations for South Africa in 2010
« on: July 22, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »
Grenadian has Aspirations for South Africa in 2010
By Muddy Fox (sportsnetwork.net)

- July 22 2006

Rovers’ striker Jason Roberts says that he still harbours dreams of leading Grenada into the World Cup in South Africa; “Grenada is very important to me, it’s my country, and it is where my family is from. I’m proud to have played for them…because it’s something I feel very strongly about.”

Roberts chose to play for the small West Indian island when he decided not to wait and hope for the opportunity to play for England, “I had the chance to play for the England Under-21s but I saw many players do that and then disappear. My uncle Cyrille Regis picked England and only got five caps, and what a player he was.” Since the performances of Trinidad and Tobago in this summer’s World Cup there is fresh confidence amongst the Caribbean islanders and belief that Roberts may play on the finest stage of all in the World Cup, South Africa 2010.

Roberts is used to being the underdog, as the optimist recalls one of the obstacles he encountered early in his football career, “When I was 16 I got dumped by Chelsea as well, but that’s life, although it’s hard to be so philosophical about it at the time! But you get setbacks and you have to come back strong from it, and just keep on going. Looking back, the disappointments you have are as important as the successes, maybe more so.”

The 28 year-old recently disclosed that, “I spoke to a pal of mine involved with Trinidad and Tobago and we agreed that a few years ago no-one would have believed they could make the finals. I've got to believe Grenada can get to the World Cup too - even if no-one else does. I am delighted to play for them whenever I can and whenever I am available.”

Before the World Cup Roberts clarified the problems facing his international team, writing in his column in The Times he explained, “The team is in its infancy and apart from myself and Torquay United's Tony Bedeau, most of the squad plays in the US in college teams and the professional leagues over there.”

The Grenadian talisman described, “I am the senior player because I am the only player from the Premiership to have played for Grenada, so I try to help the younger players through. They haven't had the opportunity to play in England or in the European Leagues, but when they play back home in Grenada or in the US they are very good.”

The former Wigan striker illustrated the difficulties in having an international squad who play their club football outside of their homeland, “It is very tough to make progress though, because now the World Cup qualifiers are over I won't be back over there until the Carribbean Cup next summer - but who knows, we could make it to South Africa in 2010.”

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Re: Grenadian has Aspirations for South Africa in 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 02:08:27 PM »
Blup! Blup! Blup!  ;D Roberts My British-Grenadian Brother ;D
waits for the dissing of grenada from silly forum members which some probably have grenadian roots

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »
they will need goals from him if they are to make it.  shalrie joseph will have to run de middle as well, where is he now btw?  

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:13:35 PM »
it's good to dream and have asperations....we need other caribbean countries to step up, give the other big concacaf teams some pressure..All ah we is one family... ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 02:20:47 PM »
waits for the dissing of grenada from silly forum members which some probably have grenadian roots

roberts might as well play for trinidad bc half of his family must be livin dere, and its really aspirations bc grenada not qualifying for the world cup anytime soon, most of their native sons are trini or live and play in trinidad, hard luck dey roberts :yapping: :yapping:
Trinifinite, I knew you were gonna say that. Highlight my post and see what I wrote I actually typed a sentance in white. If you really trying to make a sentance you would of quoted the original article but trying to cause trouble as usual ;)

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
they will need goals from him if they are to make it.  shalrie joseph will have to run de middle as well, where is he now btw?  

Blackburn Rovers, (thats if your talking about Roberts, Joesph is at the Revs) just some triva if your interested his sister triple-jumps for GB

his cousin is john regishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Regis_%28athlete%29 
and his uncle like you saw in the article is cyrille regis used to play for W.B.A

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:42:52 PM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 02:26:03 PM »

yes fUTBOL my greatgrandfather id from Grenada . Reading this article reminded me of an old article i read 2 years ago here it is below:
Grenada to scout for more players overseas for Digicel Cup 

ST GEORGE’S, Grenada,(GrenadaSports) - Grenada may include some of its English-born players for the next round of the CFU/DIGICEL Caribbean Cup Tournament.

The “Spice Boyz” take on St Vincent and the Grenadines in a home and away play-off on December 12 and 19.

But Head Coach Mike Adams has hinted that his coaching staff is interested in at least three UK-based players to complement the locally-based experienced players.

Wigan Athletic striker Jason Roberts and Byron Bubb of Dover Athletic were originally scheduled to join the national team in the recent Group D qualifying stage of the tournament in Trinidad but Roberts had a crucial assignment while Bubb had flight problems.

Both players are on Adams’ provisional list but the choice list also includes Craig Rocastle of Scottish Premier League Hibernian, who is on loan from Chelsea; Ashley Sestanovich of Grimbsy, who is on loan from Sheffield United; Anthony Bedeau of Torquay United; Dwayne Lee of Barnet; Bradley Wright-Phillips of Manchester City; Aaron Dussard of Ashford Town; and Delroy Facey of Hull City.

Other players to be considered are Kemon Thomas of MTK Hungary; Kellon Baptiste of St Louis Steamers; Joel Forde and Sherwin Merryman of Southern New Hampshire University; Ricky Morris, Ashton Henry and Kerry Wilson of Iowa Central Community College; and Jason James of Mercer County Community College.

Midfielder Shalrie Joseph and defender Anthony Modeste have already indicated an interest in returning for future games in the tournament.

Rocastle, 22, signed for City on a month’s loan from Premiership Chelsea. The attacking midfielder is cousin of the late England and Arsenal midfielder David Rocastle, and has been brought in to bolster the Imps midfield in the wake of Richard Butchers prolonged absence.

The ex-Kingstonian midfielder has limited experience in the football league having appeared just four times for Barnsley in February and early March, being involved in their 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Grimsby Town.

However Rocastle has extensive experience in the Chelsea reserve side and has appeared once on the bench for the Russian owned giants.

Reprinted from grenadasports.com

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 02:31:32 PM »

yes fUTBOL my greatgrandfather id from Grenada . Reading this article reminded me of an old article i read 2 years ago here it is below:
Grenada to scout for more players overseas for Digicel Cup 

ST GEORGE’S, Grenada,(GrenadaSports) - Grenada may include some of its English-born players for the next round of the CFU/DIGICEL Caribbean Cup Tournament.

The “Spice Boyz” take on St Vincent and the Grenadines in a home and away play-off on December 12 and 19.

But Head Coach Mike Adams has hinted that his coaching staff is interested in at least three UK-based players to complement the locally-based experienced players.

Wigan Athletic striker Jason Roberts and Byron Bubb of Dover Athletic were originally scheduled to join the national team in the recent Group D qualifying stage of the tournament in Trinidad but Roberts had a crucial assignment while Bubb had flight problems.

Both players are on Adams’ provisional list but the choice list also includes Craig Rocastle of Scottish Premier League Hibernian, who is on loan from Chelsea; Ashley Sestanovich of Grimbsy, who is on loan from Sheffield United; Anthony Bedeau of Torquay United; Dwayne Lee of Barnet; Bradley Wright-Phillips of Manchester City; Aaron Dussard of Ashford Town; and Delroy Facey of Hull City.

Other players to be considered are Kemon Thomas of MTK Hungary; Kellon Baptiste of St Louis Steamers; Joel Forde and Sherwin Merryman of Southern New Hampshire University; Ricky Morris, Ashton Henry and Kerry Wilson of Iowa Central Community College; and Jason James of Mercer County Community College.

Midfielder Shalrie Joseph and defender Anthony Modeste have already indicated an interest in returning for future games in the tournament.

Rocastle, 22, signed for City on a month’s loan from Premiership Chelsea. The attacking midfielder is cousin of the late England and Arsenal midfielder David Rocastle, and has been brought in to bolster the Imps midfield in the wake of Richard Butchers prolonged absence.

The ex-Kingstonian midfielder has limited experience in the football league having appeared just four times for Barnsley in February and early March, being involved in their 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Grimsby Town.

However Rocastle has extensive experience in the Chelsea reserve side and has appeared once on the bench for the Russian owned giants.

Reprinted from grenadasports.com

Yeah, thats an old article add Dwane Lee, Courtney Pitt, Bradley Bubb (brother of Bryon Bubb whos already played for Grenada) theres quite a few players who originate from Greanda also Cameron Jerome

. Im looking to set up something in england (with the help of others because I cant do by myself) for Grenadians, Trinis, Antiguans to do with football for young people (20 and under (only 3 at the mo) but people like Trinifinite put me off ;) but that wont stop me if I get the help I need.

Grenada need to get some players abroad but the Fifa Ranking Causes issues.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:33:26 PM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 02:33:41 PM »
Bradley would have been a nice addition but his pops would certainly not support that..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 02:35:40 PM »
Bradley would have been a nice addition but his pops would certainly not support that..
LOL obviously not but his Mum might,lol

TrinInfinite

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 02:43:09 PM »

what people didnt notice is that st.vincent and grenada in particular, also guyana supported trinidad like if it was their nation playing in the world cup, those 3 countries have very close ties to us, however i do wish grenada well, also st vincent bc my great grandmother was vincy, but on a lesser note, trinidad is always my first priority, i want them to qualify first, when they do, then the other 3 spots of 2 spots, the other islands could fight for ;D

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 02:45:52 PM »

bradley  has a younger brother i forgot his name but he grenada should try get him lol. btw have they ever visited greneda? just curious not sure if many of them footballer returen for a visit i know jlloyd samuel came back once , norville 3 times , shakes about once or twice boucard said he been here may times..

best of luck on you data base cause them trini seem to hide in england as you say
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:54:41 PM by triniman »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 02:53:59 PM »

bradley  has a younger brother i forgot his name but he grenada should try get him lol. btw have they ever visited greneda? just curious not sure if many of them footballer returen for a visit i know jlloyd samuel came back once , norville 3 times , shakes about once or twice boucard said he been here may times..

Steups! J'lloyd Hasnt Been To TNT since he was 6 I read! Shakes has been a couple of times I believe (dont ask me how I know,lol  )
I seriously dont know whether the Wright-Phillips have been grenada and Brett is the young brother I dont know if it was for the same Grenadian mother though, Wrighty Boy has been around, lol
Im gonna PM you something in a minute if I can find it.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 03:36:54 PM »
BIG UP JASON ROBERTS

BIG UP ALL GRENADIAN MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!

DAIZ MEH ROOTS, AH HOPE THEY MAKE IT TO SA 2010!!!!!!!!!!!
! :beermug: :beermug:[/

Grenada need to go to Point Fortin to recrut ballers...cause we all have Grenadian roots. ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 03:46:27 PM by Pointman »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 03:54:39 PM »

best of luck on you data base cause them trini seem to hide in england as you say
Boss, Amazingly I've found more Grenadians (footballers) than Trinis :rotfl:
I'm going to a carnival group fun day tomorrow maybe I'll find some potention Trinibago-Brits in the 5-A-Side Competition,lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
Big up Jason Roberts !! - a big player (and from what I remember, his wife real sweet  ;D)

If Grenada ever qualify for the WC ahead of Trinidad I might have to shead tears......
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:17:15 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 07:16:27 PM »
the first step to achievement is the immaculate dream.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 08:41:14 PM »
As I said before dreams are free so why not have a BIG one.

Would rather see thenm than the reggae boyz.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 08:41:59 PM »
Jason Roberts and Shalrie Joseph outta New England Revolution...what a wicked frontline....

Realalistically .. We done even expeck them to get out of the prelim round...but  they have meh support... especially against Jamaica

If they make South Africa and we dont.. I'll go into hiding for 4 years :rotfl:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:47:06 PM by big dawg »
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »

how yuh go use dat quote EVERY single post... come with something fresh nuh.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »

how yuh go use dat quote EVERY single post... come with something fresh nuh.

He eh figure out how to utilize the auto-signature.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »
It is she so maybe u can tell me how to use it.  I know nuff people who need to hear it thus my choice of tag line

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 02:34:45 AM »
It is she so maybe u can tell me how to use it.  I know nuff people who need to hear it thus my choice of tag line

Sorry miss..

Anyway on the home page go to:

profile - modify profile - forum profile information - signature....

then type your message in there and it will show up automatically on each of your posts

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 05:07:31 AM »
I like his belief, and i hope that no trini thinks that grenada are too small to be there or to have that dream!!

Just remember, the same way we may look down at them, is the same way 'big' countries in football look at us!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 07:01:52 AM »
yes man mi love fi see dat..gwan grenada wish yu de best come 2010..
war
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>