April 25, 2024, 04:04:19 PM

Author Topic: Gatlin Running Scared or Hype Strategy?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gatlin Running Scared or Hype Strategy?
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
It's either he's reluctant to run against Asafa or he wants to build up hype and hope for a fluke win whenever they run.

Ato shed some light if you can...

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/5207656.stm
Gatlin no-show frustrates Powell
Asafa Powell says he is ready to take on Justin Gatlin whenever and wherever.

The pair were due to go head-to-head in the 100m at the London Grand Prix in Crystal Palace on 28 July.

However, the American pulled out with a leg injury and the planned showdown between the joint world record holders has now been put on hold - yet again.

"It's getting a little out of hand," Powell, 23, told BBC Five Live Sport. "I'd like to get it over and done with and anytime he's ready, I'm waiting."

Interview: Asafa Powell

Powell said he felt Gatlin was avoiding him after his rival withdrew from the IAAF Super Grand Prix in Athens.

And he is now growing frustrated by a rivalry which is patently lacking in direct competition.

"Since I've been in Europe I've been hearing a bunch of different stories and I don't know which one to believe," Powell added.

"I don't know what has been discussed, but all I know is that I'm ready to run whenever.

"A lot of people are looking forward to it and this can be one of the greatest showdowns the world has ever seen so we just need to make a date and do it."

The Crystal Palace meeting would have been their first race against each other since Gatlin, 24, equalled the world-best mark of 9.77 seconds in May.

Powell has since also crossed the line in 9.77 at the Norwich Union British Grand Prix in Gateshead, where Gatlin was scheduled to run, and is adamant he can better that time and give athletics positive publicity in an era when on-track feats are often overshadowed by off-track drugs controversy.

"I'm sure I can go below 9.77. Whatever is humanly possible I'm sure I can do, maybe 9.68 or 9.65," he said.

"We're trying to make this a good and fair sport and that's what I'm doing right now, I hope people can see that and appreciate it.

"A lot of athletes give the sport a bad name and a lot of people are looking down on us now so we just have to make them come back and show them we can run properly."
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Gatlin Running Scared or Hype Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:02:45 AM »
Asafa has a short memory.  A year ago he was the injured one.  I support Asafa over Gatlin, but Gatlin is hurt.  Nothing he can do about that but get back to full fitness.  In the meantime, Asafa should just run as best he can and stop talking to the press.  I thought this was the non Greene-Boldon generation that doesn't trash talk in the media?
BORN TO DO IT

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:18:21 PM »
Asafa has a short memory.  A year ago he was the injured one.  I support Asafa over Gatlin, but Gatlin is hurt.  Nothing he can do about that but get back to full fitness.  In the meantime, Asafa should just run as best he can and stop talking to the press.  I thought this was the non Greene-Boldon generation that doesn't trash talk in the media?

Well said.  By the way what's happened to Greene?  Is he retired?
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 02:41:53 AM »
Ato,

While i KNOW gAT HAS A SLIGHT INJURY NOW...bIGGA TOLD ME IN LAUSANNE...
HE WAS PLAYING elusive in the weeks leading up to the injury at trials.

The camp was afraid of a whooping and that is why Asafa was playing possum trying to lure him into a race.

Gateshead was a fluke, in that Asaf did not mean to run that fast and that time has now made Team Gatlin resolute NOt to have a clash this year.

This is the reason for Asafa trying to use his mouth and draw out gatlin. I dont think it will work and I agree that Asafa should just run the best he can while he is healthy.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:29:58 PM »
Mo needs to retire and I have told him so, but he is currently injured but active otherwise.  May see him before the end of the year.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:09:11 PM »
9.65- WOW - well if he hits that time that will be a race

1]; } ?>