March 01, 2024, 08:16:44 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Oliver Thread  (Read 48861 times)

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Caledonia's dreadlocked genius confuses Wim.
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 07:37:26 AM »
More and more it comin to de light how good this player really is. For all who claim de never see de man play... trust meh de man can really ball. In de game where Cali lose 2 nil to Joe public in a match that saw Jagdeosingh, Kerry Baptiste and others.... It is only Oliver and Dawrika who showed that ability that can be clearly defined as a notch above the rest. Dawrika however is now a PFL player who seems resigned to just that. Oliver on the other hand, apart from his constant bickering with his players (which might be deemed inspiratory) Oliver is a National and International baller in the making. De fact dat Lasana write it dont make it no better because de powers dat be dont like he. Wim is in every game. He was in de Cali vs Petrotrin double header and he was also present in a empty marvin lee stadium ironically enough caught reading a TTpro magazine on guess who??? Oliver. So its really mind boggling to understand but I have made up my mind to de next time I see him in de stands I will go and directly a question. Stay tuned.... Marvin oliver deserves a call up if even to be dismissed because he cant cut it at that level per say but he definetly deserves a call up.

breddah, this is why some people have stressed the need for a local coach
Bertille woulda pick him?

Never!!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2007, 07:39:59 AM »
I can belive that age is the reason why he is not getting picked, Latas was the mosted gifted baller on the team and could not get so sweat, cause he old. so in their mind if yuh old and not as good as Latas ride out.

I dont agree with this however, our talent pool is too small, invite the best players into camp, regardless of age or hairstyle and pick the best team.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2007, 07:43:54 AM »
More and more it comin to de light how good this player really is. For all who claim de never see de man play... trust meh de man can really ball. In de game where Cali lose 2 nil to Joe public in a match that saw Jagdeosingh, Kerry Baptiste and others.... It is only Oliver and Dawrika who showed that ability that can be clearly defined as a notch above the rest. Dawrika however is now a PFL player who seems resigned to just that. Oliver on the other hand, apart from his constant bickering with his players (which might be deemed inspiratory) Oliver is a National and International baller in the making. De fact dat Lasana write it dont make it no better because de powers dat be dont like he. Wim is in every game. He was in de Cali vs Petrotrin double header and he was also present in a empty marvin lee stadium ironically enough caught reading a TTpro magazine on guess who??? Oliver. So its really mind boggling to understand but I have made up my mind to de next time I see him in de stands I will go and directly a question. Stay tuned.... Marvin oliver deserves a call up if even to be dismissed because he cant cut it at that level per say but he definetly deserves a call up.

breddah, this is why some people have stressed the need for a local coach
Bertille woulda pick him?

i said SH not bertille....
You say people want a local coach because foreign coach does fight down.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 07:44:27 AM »
i think all this press would be negative in his selection

win would read this and say he aint taking no chain-up

good article tho except when he say iz de first rastaman since brian williams???
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »
It early in the morning but lemme add some things. This thread have the potential to be ah 5 plus pager

1. Ti i see a case for marvin oliver but leave Hardest outta this. His footballing problems aitn oen about favoritism and more about not doing the right things. Skipping practice, playing passa passa when they ask HIM NOT TO :-\ and over all not doing the things he should but always have an excuse. Marvin have a family to feed also but he does what he suppose to.

I see marvin play quite a number  of times back home and he is a very good player why he never get call up is anyones guess. How ever before beenie and wim we had quite a few local coaches no???

de coach could be local, international, it doh matter. ent dey say Bertille was fighting down Scotland, and Derek King was getting pick all de time. look how people doh undertsnad why Dunga keep pickin Vagner Love, why Beenie was stickin wit Stern. and when we have a local coach, people does say is plenty curry favour

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:48:53 AM by Organic »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2007, 07:49:38 AM »

The man good granted ...... i've seen him play on to many occassions to wonder why he's not even given a call up .......however TI ...wha makes you feel SH will pick him either. I see you calling for a local coach ....but SH is not a local coach bredda. He local born but International through and through with an international mindset.

:beermug:

Don't know if SH is the man for the Job, or the only man for the job, cause part of the equation is wheter anybody want it or not...can't say who woulda pick this guy on they team, but for a CALL UP, with so many MoM, I'm certain he would get a look...Cowen... where does T&T play and/or required to win...International, where does most of our best players ply their trade International...Team T&T if they are to be successful better strive towards becoming, whether or not "local born but International through and through with an international mindset"

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2007, 08:18:02 AM »

The man good granted ...... i've seen him play on to many occassions to wonder why he's not even given a call up .......however TI ...wha makes you feel SH will pick him either. I see you calling for a local coach ....but SH is not a local coach bredda. He local born but International through and through with an international mindset.

:beermug:

Don't know if SH is the man for the Job, or the only man for the job, cause part of the equation is wheter anybody want it or not...can't say who woulda pick this guy on they team, but for a CALL UP, with so many MoM, I'm certain he would get a look...Cowen... where does T&T play and/or required to win...International, where does most of our best players ply their trade International...Team T&T if they are to be successful better strive towards becoming, whether or not "local born but International through and through with an international mindset"

I hear what u saying Max but everyone keeps asking for a "local coach". Which local coach has the required experience to manage our national team. Sh's name keeps getting thrown out and like u rightly asked would he even want the job far less anyone. 

Marvin is a baller ...and should have gotten a call up maybe 2-3 yrs ago .....but IMO the 2-3 yrs before WC we sould be blooding te youhs .... Leston Paul, Knox, and more from that under 17 squad. You never now ........ we could have a Messi (sic) in the making . Marvin age IMO definitely working against him if it's a team for the future we trying to build ......not one for a competiion.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2007, 08:38:55 AM »
Marvin is a baller ...and should have gotten a call up maybe 2-3 yrs ago .....but IMO the 2-3 yrs before WC we sould be blooding te youhs .... Leston Paul, Knox, and more from that under 17 squad. You never now ........ we could have a Messi (sic) in the making . Marvin age IMO definitely working against him if it's a team for the future we trying to build ......not one for a competiion.

I eh buying de age ting because it have a few players in de same age range dat currently in de pool:
Gary Glasgow is 31
Trent Noel will be 31 in January
Errol McFarlane will be 30 next week
Keyeno Thomas will be 30 in December

It's a possiblity dat is because of non-footballing reasons dat dey eh calling him.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2007, 08:47:48 AM »
Sad to see this. Oliver is one of if not the most in-form midfielder in T&T. That includes Jemmot and Spann when they were in PL. And he persevering right down to the end with at least 3 last minute goals to save Cali. He may not have the physical presence of Whitley but the man has what we most need on a local  based team...serious passing ability and positional awareness and he could battle non-stop to the end. He well overshadow even Theobald at Cali. Say wha.....I eh de coach.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:19 AM »
Beenhakker used Latapy and dropped him like a hot bread. He had the nerve to say Latapy couldn't make the team and if wasn't for Latapy we would not have been in the 2006 world cup. Now Rijsbergen is another fool indeed. He have to realise that he must use what ever is available to him to the benefit of T&T football and not hold personal feelings towards anyone.

Its simple, you pick players who are inform. Oliver is the same age as Noel so I dont see the problem. Even if we can get one year out of him, then why not use that to your benefit. Dwarika is also playing some good ball. I am not saying to call everyone, but a trial would be nice.

Mixing a little old experience and youth is always important.

Come on Rijsbergen, get off your high horse !!!!!! before someone in T&T buss some slap on you and remind you that you are in T&T and not Holland..........
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:15:12 AM by Flex »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2007, 10:13:55 AM »
I guess by now every one on here knows my feelings towards this player,you may want to call it personal.I like the discussion going on here but i think this should have nothing to do with where a Coach is from,weather it's local or foreign,this have to do with ones ability to play the game and if the guy is good enough he should be given the chance.

The Marvin i know is not the type of person that speaks or acts out but has aims and intentions,his game has always talked for him,he lets the public/Coaches be the judges,this is all he knows and can do and came back home because he thought he can make a living by it.There are a number of things that drives players and representing your national team is one of them,just getting called shows at least you are being recognized,at the moment the paycheck i guess is what drives him.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »
Never seen Oliver play, but the article seems a bit biased and anti-Wim, so I taking it with a grain of salt.

Nevertheless if there is so much talk about this guy, then he must have something, and it probably wouldn't hurt to give him a look.

End of day, situations like this are as common as the cold. Every footballing society has a similar story, some more than others. Every locality has its football heroes worthy of nat'l selection....not everyone gets the break. Carlos Alberto Parreira says his mother used tuh call him up and buff him for not selecting certain players leading up to Brazil's triumph in WC 94.

Everybody has their own preferences and vision, from the man on the street to the expert in the industry.... and the coach is no exception. Local or foreign- same thing. TI yuh talkin' shit with your sweeping generalization- there is no benefit to an overseas coach to "fight down" local talent that deserves selection....That's just your conspiracy theory that has no basis.  In this case, it seems that all of a sudden Oliver's support is overwhelming, but where was this support prior to the Gold Cup? Or is he now beginning to shine?

Good luck to Marvin, selection or not....just keep yuh head up and keep playing ball. Rewards manifest themselves in different ways.  :beermug:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2007, 10:48:37 AM »
Sad to see this. Oliver is one of if not the most in-form midfielder in T&T. That includes Jemmot and Spann when they were in PL. And he persevering right down to the end with at least 3 last minute goals to save Cali. He may not have the physical presence of Whitley but the man has what we most need on a local  based team...serious passing ability and positional awareness and he could battle non-stop to the end. He well overshadow even Theobald at Cali. Say wha.....I eh de coach.
Like Wim gave McCommie the book on Oliver and sat back and watch Cali get dismantled :devil: Who is the fella that kept him quiet? Maybe he is deserving of a call up too ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »
 :rotfl:   McComie taking credit where its not due. Oliver and dem  was just resin fuh the FCB tommorow, and McComie want to claim is he brilliant tactics win de game.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »
i say anybody with de name Marvine (or anyhow u spell it) is a bullah  :devil:

ok just organic  ;D

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »
More fodder to the anti-Wim fire...

Just a question.I'm sure everybody think about it but nobody want to bring it up.

The impression I get is that Oliver is a full flledged Rastafarian as opposed to just being  a "Rasta".
Now,I'm no expert when it comes to Rastafarianism,but would he pass an international level drug test?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline john_public

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »
marvin supposed to be on that team imagine de man was de best player for the first round in pro and they called 41 guys and de most outstandin not there that have nothing to do with football.

somebody say marvin supposed to be there abotu 3 yrs ago but marvin was with crab then went to north east starts and came back to crab befor de season was over so playin in super cup o don`t think that level was enough for him to get a call up esp back then there was no jacklist,

de man hopein for a call up but know it`s very unlikely, i think he spoke about it in a pro mag some time aback,

his dedication had a part to play also becasue when he just came  back to trini he wasn`t really a driven player he was playin yea but wasn`t really doin it with heart, marvin and fellow crab player marlon warner were the 2 best local player up to recent, but unlike marvin marlon not really into all that trainin, he prefer de getto superstar

all de best marvin, hope de forget all other things and let de best players play.

take this and run with is david  ;D

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »
More fodder to the anti-Wim fire...

Just a question.I'm sure everybody think about it but nobody want to bring it up.

The impression I get is that Oliver is a full flledged Rastafarian as opposed to just being  a "Rasta".
Now,I'm no expert when it comes to Rastafarianism,but would he pass an international level drug test?
       I'm no expert myself on the Rastafaria lifestyle/culture but it seems drugs a part of it,i'm not into discussing peoples personal life in public,if due to his lifestyle he did i don't think anyone here can say what he is up too at present.I remember Latapy saying how much he likes to relax with a smoke(meaning cigarettes), as a Trini we can take that to mean any thing,but people found it to be alright because it did not affect his playing career.Back to your question,he can't pass an international drug test if he is on drugs,but what about if he is not?we just can't speculate.    

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2007, 03:32:56 PM »
Here we go again foreign vs local is a discussion 4 cars
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »
31 Years old and never entered the national pool? Hmm........
Now...i go agree that since players his age have been called up....he should too...but they have had national experience before. What stopped him from entering the pool before now? Extremely late bloomer?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Victor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »
We don’t start to play for real until next June. Now is the perfect time to give Marvin Oliver an opportunity , irrespective of his age, to prove himself. Based on the role Marvin Oliver has played to put his team in a position to win the Pro League title, I am intrigued to find out how he would do against CONCACAF teams.

Knowing his history, Wim justly gave Kerwin Jemmott a chance to make the national team. Jemmott proved, all things being equal, that he could have been a major player in our quest to qualify for SA 2010. Jemmot also proved, unequivocally, that he should never be called to play for the national team again, because of a total lack of discipline and commitment.

Come on Wim!!! This is a no brainer. If you can invest your time and effort - getting nothing in return - in a player with a long track record of indicipline and a lack of commitment surely you can give Marvin Oliver a chance to see how he would do at a higher level. I have a feeling he would surprise you. Give him a chance Wim!!!

Allyuh doh find Marvin is built like Socrates? Mabe he might play like Socrates for we when Wim gives him the chance to play.  ;D

Offline kingbrent10

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2007, 07:00:56 PM »
Marvin needs to groom his dreads...everybody knows this is why the elders (TTFA) is not recognizing his talents. Why are you so called Marvin wagonist afraid to say this to him  ???  ??? ??
 Look at any international players/athletes with similar hairstyles, they are maintained. If he does this and continues playing at an above average level then he would be called..for sure..if not by the national team then by some other foreign pro- team.
DISCIPLINE, TOLERANCE AND PRODUCTION

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2007, 07:49:14 PM »
Marvin needs to groom his dreads...everybody knows this is why the elders (TTFA) is not recognizing his talents. Why are you so called Marvin wagonist afraid to say this to him  ???  ??? ??
 Look at any international players/athletes with similar hairstyles, they are maintained. If he does this and continues playing at an above average level then he would be called..for sure..if not by the national team then by some other foreign pro- team.
That very well might be...dat greng greng and gri gri beff keeping him off de squad.  But I think people issue is should that even be a consideration for him being in the mix or not.

Offline kingbrent10

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
There is alot that can be read into management's decision if to choose him or not based on his extreme hairstyle, such as:
1) can we finds a similar level player with a style that they like?
2)Is he an exceptionally gifted and rare find that we cannot pass-up on ?
3) would he fit into the team's culture and image
4) Does his unkempt hair-style reflect his attitude to the game, if so, do we view this image as positive or negative ?
To me, and I could be wrong, but  it is not just the coach or TTFA that are not checking him out. I am not seeing anyone writing about any scouts or sports manager inviting him to trials either. Thus, he should be smart and try to approach the situation from a different angle...if he really wants to play-for-big-pay :applause: :afro:
DISCIPLINE, TOLERANCE AND PRODUCTION

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
i jus find we squad too old on the whole
ah real tentative when it cometo 2010

we have some old men on the squad who only tested locally. and we only playing small sides so we really car gauge where we fellas at.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »
Marvin needs to groom his dreads...everybody knows this is why the elders (TTFA) is not recognizing his talents. Why are you so called Marvin wagonist afraid to say this to him  ???  ??? ??

You have a good point there boss....I am ignorant about this topic. Is there specific legislation or written code covering grooming standards at international games than Oliver would be in contravention of, such as length of hair. Or is it an unwritten nudge-nudge, wink-wink kinda thing? Can it be cited as an specific encumberance to the opposing team or is an arbitrary preference?

Its too bad neither TTFF, the coach, Oliver, Caledonia or anyone has made this public that it was a mans appearance that kept him off the team. If he is rasta is it possible then the TTFF/coach could be actually discriminating against him based on his spiritual convictions?

That is the problem with arbitrary preferences, assuming this is arbitrary, is that they can come back and bite you in the ass. Local coaches can tell him to cut his hair. But If I were a European coach in a Caribbean nation my better judgement or my advisors might tell me that instead of telling a rasta to cut his hair, use age as an excuse so as to navigate around that hornets nest....he need to talk with Ian Clauzel. Anyway good points you raise? Can anyone with  knowledge or background in sports management offer an opinion on this.  

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:32:42 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2007, 08:56:28 PM »
ok, lets forget about age for a moment
In the past coaches have said that they do not pick fellas with dreads.
Now what would have happened if they invited those players and stipulated a "dress code or apperenace code policy" for these players to follow. These players may have done what it takes to get selected.
Instead they just Blank these fellas.

Before                                   After
Lets look at the MLB where Johnny Damon had a very unkept look "Damon gained some notoriety for the prominent beard and long, uncut hairstyle he brought with him to spring training in the 2004 season, contrasting with his previously clean-cut appearance. His long hair and beard actually came from an unlikely cause - his head on collision with Damian Jackson in Game 5 of the 2003 American League Division Series. Damon laid on the field unconscious for approximately five minutes. When he came to, Damon was completely disoriented, believing that he was still playing for his old team, the Oakland Athletics. The headaches came to disrupt his life to such a degree, that he stopped shaving and having his hair cut. So by the beginning of the 2004 season, he had an uncharacteristic big bushy beard and shoulder length hair. His new look, possibly coupled with the runaway success of the recently-released Mel Gibson film The Passion of the Christ, inspired fans and sportswriters to draw good-natured comparisons between his appearance and that of Jesus. (Some people also drew comparisons to Jim Morrison, the lead singer of The Doors, and to Charles Manson.)" and "Upon his move to the New York Yankees in 2006, team dress policy required he shaved and cut his hair."
Some will claim that he has become a better  player because of that, but i believe it is because he "signed a 4-year, $52 million dollar contract with the New York Yankees." ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:00:51 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2007, 09:09:12 PM »
ok, lets forget about age for a moment
In the past coaches have said that they do not pick fellas with dreads.
Now what would have happened if they invited those players and stipulated a "dress code or apperenace code policy" for these players to follow. These players may have done what it takes to get selected.
Instead they just Blank these fellas.

Lets look at the MLB where Johnny Damon had a very unkept look and "Upon his move to the New York Yankees in 2006, team dress policy required he shaved and cut his hair."
Some will claim that he has become a better  player because of that, but i believe it is because he "signed a 4-year, $52 million dollar contract with the New York Yankees." ;)

Johnny Damon was never unkempt...the Yankees, George Steinbrenner in particular has always had an unwritten rule about facial hair on his squad.  He's been willing to bend that a little for his superstars like Thurman Munson and Reggie Jackson back in the day...in the last decade he had a famous run in with Don Mattingly, before Mattingly gave in...then bent the rules for Wade Boggs.  Other than that everyone else have had to toe the line.

this very well may be what's taking place here...as well it may not be.  It's not like Wim wouldn't be familiar with dreadlocked players...from Ruud Gullit, to Davids to Latas...he's been around/familiar with them.  If Oliver's hair maintenance regimen isn't to his liking...then I guess it would be within his rights as a coach to take that into consideration when selecting the team.  If that is the case however then he needs to at least let the player be aware of that so that he can make a choice to groom or not groom himself accordingly.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2007, 10:42:56 PM »
http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Biography/bio_IanClauzel_footballer.htm

"I lost confidence in the football system," he offers.  "There was a lot of bias in the football at that time, especially at the national level."

Then he adds, philosophically: "I feel what is for a man is for a man.  I does just deal with Life as it comes."

I can certainly understand the first statement...and relate to the second.

1]; } ?>