April 26, 2024, 12:56:11 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Oliver Thread  (Read 50350 times)

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caledonia's dreadlocked genius confuses Wim.
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »
Dat man was a boss long time.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2007, 04:05:53 PM »
Marvin Oliver picks up First Citizens MVP       

Monday, 08 October 2007 
 By Randy Bando...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In spite of his club Caledonia AIA going under 2-0 to eventual First Citizens Cup winners W Connection in the final of the competition, midfielder Marvin Oliver was unanimously voted as the MVP of the month long knockout tournament.
Oliver, a regular to individual awards this season in the TT Pro League has proven that at age 34 he’s still capable of achieving many goals.
“It always feels good to win an individual award but overall in disappointed in the final,” said Oliver over his team’s failure to win the 2007 First Citizens Cup.

Oliver’s spirited performance during the competition against Tobago United in the quarterfinals, United Petrotrin in the semifinals and against W Connection in the final has earned him the MVP award.

Oliver scored against Tobago United and United Petrotrin earning himself the ‘Most Goals’ award, joint with teammate Walter Moore and W Connection’s Jonathon Frias.

Oliver explained that his team’s main focus this season is on the League title, but admits that W Connection played a much better game.

He said, “Despite our main focus being on the League this season, we were stretched a little bit because of injuries but saying that, hats off to W Connection. They played well; they executed their game plan much better than us. W Connection was W Connection and there is no doubt about their performance in the final.

Caledonia AIA are second in the League race with 48 points, one point behind leaders San Juan Jabloteh.

Oliver, Caledonia AIA’s marquee player has picked up numerous ‘Player of the Match’ votes as well as the MVP of Round One in the TT Pro League in only his first season with the ‘Stallions’.

Commenting on his personal performance against the ‘Savonnetta Boys’ as a converted striker in the finals, Oliver said, “W Connection’s defence was on top of their game. When you are a marquee player and two three players are always marking you, it’s going to be tough and I am only human.”

Despite his disappointment over his team’s failure to win the title, Oliver believes, football in Trinidad and Tobago benefited.

“Although W Connection won the finals, I think that football in Trinidad and Tobago really won. With the crowd, the talent of overseas and local players in the competition, really showed how improved football in T&T is,” said the Caledonia AIA midfielder.

Prior to the final, Caledonia had pledged to win the title for their Morvant/Lavantille community, but this promise was washed away by two goals from W Connection’s Dominican Republic striker Jonathon Frias in the second period.

Oliver said, “Our fans are going to be down a bit but when we look at it realistically, W Connection are much more financially secured than us. It’s a situation like Real Madrid playing one of the lower financed clubs. They(W Connection) have the money to get the best players, while we have players that are just rising out of communities and that explained how ready they were for this final,” ended the First Citizens Cup MVP.

Frias’ two goals in the finals pumped him in line with Caledonia AIA’s Marvin Oliver and Walter Moore as joint ‘Most Goals’ winners. Frias only at age 18 is also a member of the Dominican Republic senior squad. The lightening paced forward was introduced as a second half substitute by Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier, who later informed that it was a tactical maneuver.

W Connection coming into the final as defending champions completed a beaver-trick of the First Citizens Cup and an overall haul of five in its eight year history.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:12:47 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2007, 05:26:40 PM »
Well I may have to support the Coach on this one (regrettably so and since most ah alyuh attacking him) Wim know he has an older side so i guess he's just trying tuh come away from the need for the older foogies on the side. I see no other reason other that or he just has scant regard for the locals

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
the maths not really addin up and we all know them reporters and dem doh really do no setta research...but if Oliver is 34 that mean he shoulda be playin in the ssfl around the time of stern john and dat not soundin right...unless he was real overage when he was playin.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2007, 06:47:53 PM »
...but if Oliver is 34 that mean he shoulda be playin in the ssfl around the time of stern john and dat not soundin right...unless he was real overage when he was playin.
Stern will be turning 31 at de end of dis month. Marvin would have been playing around de time of people like Dwarika and Nixon, but den again Liburd say de man is 32.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:50:27 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2007, 10:30:03 PM »

How hard it is to get the man age right.
I doubt he is 34 but this article was on the pro league site itself so dem supposed to have the player records.  :-\

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:15 AM »

The wimp is ah genius .... judgement day coming.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2007, 07:11:57 AM »
He could be 65 for all I care, if he can still get so much MoM and MVP, he is still capable of being better than the rest, and that is what matters to get a look/trial....sadly doh, if selected, and it doesn't work out on the day, ppl will point at his age, and not remember the alternatives....i.e. he is presently better than the rest....Coach look atl the man before he retire nah

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2007, 08:47:59 AM »
He could be 65 for all I care, if he can still get so much MoM and MVP, he is still capable of being better than the rest, and that is what matters to get a look/trial....sadly doh, if selected, and it doesn't work out on the day, ppl will point at his age, and not remember the alternatives....i.e. he is presently better than the rest....Coach look atl the man before he retire nah

Correction...he's presently better than what the Pro League has to offer.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2007, 09:08:17 AM »

true....I stand corrected... :-[
"Rijsbergen, after inviting 19 players for training, maintained that the list was not the actual squad for the international game but simply a pool from which players will be considered.
He had one overseas-based player in the mix, US-based Charleston Battery striker Andre Toussaint while there were recalls for Stephan David, Conrad Smith, Dwayne Jack, Trent Noel, Kerry Baptiste, Keyeno Thomas, Clyde Leon and goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams."
"The rest of the Senior team called for training on Tuesday included: Kern Cupid, Thomas Nickcolson, Keston Williams, Devon Jorsling, Terrence McAllister, Jason Springer, Jason Marcano, Cleon John, Tristan Charles and Glenton Wolfe"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »

true....I stand corrected... :-[
"Rijsbergen, after inviting 19 players for training, maintained that the list was not the actual squad for the international game but simply a pool from which players will be considered.
He had one overseas-based player in the mix, US-based Charleston Battery striker Andre Toussaint while there were recalls for Stephan David, Conrad Smith, Dwayne Jack, Trent Noel, Kerry Baptiste, Keyeno Thomas, Clyde Leon and goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams."
"The rest of the Senior team called for training on Tuesday included: Kern Cupid, Thomas Nickcolson, Keston Williams, Devon Jorsling, Terrence McAllister, Jason Springer, Jason Marcano, Cleon John, Tristan Charles and Glenton Wolfe"

I doh even know how they could justify saying Toussaint "overseas-based" when de man only stay in Charleston long enough tuh bade and change he clothes  :D

I torn on this Oliver thing doh...if de man really 34 it kinda hard to justify giving him a spot over a younger player, unless the crop of younger players is significantly worse in the offering.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
Marvin and hardest would form an unbeatable midfiield especailly against caribbeen opposition who give time and space to play.

They will poison sides

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2007, 02:27:41 PM »
A 34-year old PFL player would most likely be a training cone in fast-paced international football.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2007, 05:28:06 PM »
 :banginghead:   :-X

ah was going an say, check Iran captain(striker-37) and Italy captain(defender-33) 2006 WC......then realize though when selected they were still the best in their own leagues and among their local players, BUT hey, they never played in our PFL...we know how the Canavarro did...
In an interview with the Iran capt, after retirement..made a statement
"You successfully steered Iran to two FIFA World Cup tournaments, France 1998 and Germany 2006. However, the team failed to progress beyond the group stages on both occasions. Do you think it was due to a shortage of talent in the squad or bad luck?
It was neither bad luck nor performing poorly. We should accept what our level of football is. In the group stage of France 1998, we could have won against Yugoslavia or Germany had we enjoyed a bit more fortune. But they were stronger than us, so we lost. It was simple. "

here is the article (from Fifa.com)
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=534462.html

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:13:56 PM by maxg »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2007, 06:16:47 PM »
A 34-year old PFL player would most likely be a training cone in fast-paced international football.

Yes most likely the AVERAGE 34 year old PFLer would be a training cone. BUT if he is running harder than most, more intense than most and more skillful than most, who cares if he is in the PFL or is 34. Since when being in the PFL disqualifies you from being a good player. Yuh ever see Sheldon Emmanuel play. He could probably walk on we Senior team and challenge Avery or Nigel Daniel easy easy. Donèt forget 38 year old Latapy. He could still walk on the team too if he so pleased.  I donèt know if you have seen Oliver play but there is a good reason that people are baffled by that exclusion. And its not just the exclusion. Is the damn randomness with which the TTFF bases selection that does get my goat.

Peace

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2007, 06:31:15 PM »
mind you I never see the man play, an don't know him from Adam, buh if the man consistently gettin props, and results, from the league as well as fans...then make the training 20 instead of 19 nah...use him as ah best cone and then drop him if he not playing to yuh standard or the rest of 19 running round him like ah cone.....at least he will give the young fast paced players some kinda experience if nuthen else.....  I orf this topic..dun buttin wall   :-X

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »
Yeh this get beat to death. I done here as well.

Offline fscsports

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
mind you I never see the man play, an don't know him from Adam, buh if the man consistently gettin props, and results, from the league as well as fans...then make the training 20 instead of 19 nah...use him as ah best cone and then drop him if he not playing to yuh standard or the rest of 19 running round him like ah cone.....at least he will give the young fast paced players some kinda experience if nuthen else.....  I orf this topic..dun buttin wall   :-X
marvin is 31 and what age have to do with a guy playing at his best, again an again this guy is out playing every player in the league, is time some one let those coaches in trinidad know what time it is, is time mr warner and company  open their eyes and select real coaches for our country, look at our under23 and under 17 teams, where mc'comie and anton ever coach, what is their track record, these guys just start to coach and now they is coaches of our national teams going to a world cup and olimpic tournament, mc' comie was very fortunate to have a owner like mr. warner that  financially support joe public soccer team, which help him make a little name for himself for the past three years and for mr. anton what club team he ever coach and if so what is his achievement, not because you have a coaching license or you living through your father past and what he has achieve you think that give you the right to be our national team coach, thats why our soccer is where it is today.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
marvin is 31 and what age have to do with a guy playing at his best, again an again this guy is out playing every player in the league, is time some one let those coaches in trinidad know what time it is, is time mr warner and company  open their eyes and select real coaches for our country, look at our under23 and under 17 teams, where mc'comie and anton ever coach, what is their track record, these guys just start to coach and now they is coaches of our national teams going to a world cup and olimpic tournament, mc' comie was very fortunate to have a owner like mr. warner that  financially support joe public soccer team, which help him make a little name for himself for the past three years and for mr. anton what club team he ever coach and if so what is his achievement, not because you have a coaching license or you living through your father past and what he has achieve you think that give you the right to be our national team coach, thats why our soccer is where it is today.

So basically you using de Oliver thread to come grind yuh axe against Wim, Corneal and McComie....seen.

Offline fscsports

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2007, 07:09:06 AM »
this is not about oliver only, over the years gone by, there is a lot of players in the past that should of been on our national team and was over look in the same manner oliver is being over look, if you is a true and die heart fan of our national team over the years gone by, you will know what i am speaking about.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2007, 10:58:13 AM »
31 Years old and never entered the national pool? Hmm........
Now...i go agree that since players his age have been called up....he should too...but they have had national experience before. What stopped him from entering the pool before now? Extremely late bloomer?

Oliver was in de pool before.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Marvin Oliver Thread
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
The Real Reason Marvin Oliver Cyar make a TT side

Now is a while I knew this info but I couldnt post it just so.  It is more than skill and ability that enables you to make a side.

I does like meh conspiracy theories........ but this is as plain as day. If the man cant get a US visa he cannot play in most of our WC games because all central American games you have to pass tru Miami intransit. He cyar play against the US in the US, he cyar play vs Guatemala and only if they have a direct flight to Cuba he eligible for that game. So why put a player in the squad who cannot be used.

2) His coach is Shabazz who is persona non grata in the US and who does not have a visa either. Remember Jack bail him out from Miami. When you applying for a visa you have to send to the embassy a job letter. When they see who is he boss it have no way they granting him that.

3) He old, why give him caps and yuh cant sell him. No overseas club in the world buying a man over 30 who never get a cap. He cannot meet the UK caps criteria. Let that space be reserved for a youth who is 17-20 and have a future.

4) If you read below he is moving to Jabloteh...maybe that has something to do with point 2 above.

Jabloteh sign Marvin Oliver.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:59:12 AM by Flex »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

TrinInfinite

Re: The Real Reason Marvin Oliver Cyar make a TT side
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2008, 08:57:25 AM »
well done touches :beermug:

God is de BOSS....

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »
Oliver, a lanky midfielder with an impressive passing range, has agreed to join 2007 T&T Pro League champions, CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, and is waiting only to explain his move to Caledonia coach Jamaal Shabazz before signing his new contract.

He's waiting to explain the move to Shabazz and anxious to get his blessing yet he's broadcasting it to the entire nation through Liburd ??? 
I don't understand this Oliver fella at all.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2008, 09:09:43 AM »
Solution For Marvin.

I was discussing this with Swima and he came up with this solution which can be done.

Marvin cannot play in the US game in the US or for any future Gold Cup Match.

He is only eliminated from 1 WC game as of now..theoretically 2 if TT makes it to the Hex.

If the TTFF wants to they can hire a charter plane and fly direct to each country eliminating the intransit problem.

Can it be done?...YES

Will it be done?...Who knows

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »
will it be done for one 32 yr old rasta pro league player without a visa

nope

fire bun jabloteh give we guerra nah and we should move for skillachi too

damn u fenrick!
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:20 AM »
TOuches, i think shabazz travel after that episode with the ladies team....

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
Solution For Marvin.

I was discussing this with Swima and he came up with this solution which can be done.

Marvin cannot play in the US game in the US or for any future Gold Cup Match.

He is only eliminated from 1 WC game as of now..theoretically 2 if TT makes it to the Hex.

If the TTFF wants to they can hire a charter plane and fly direct to each country eliminating the intransit problem.

Can it be done?...YES

Will it be done?...Who knows

never happen

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
This is a question I would like someone to research.  Touches indicated that Marvin cyar get a visa which I agree with.  However, does FIFA not get involved.  So all the USA hah to do is deny we players a VISA and we have a jokey squad?

What is the criteria?  Must a nation grant entry to their country for any player regardless of the situation for a FIFA santioned event?
Arimian to meh heart

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
This is a question I would like someone to research.  Touches indicated that Marvin cyar get a visa which I agree with.  However, does FIFA not get involved.  So all the USA hah to do is deny we players a VISA and we have a jokey squad?
What is the criteria?  Must a nation grant entry to their country for any player regardless of the situation for a FIFA santioned event?
Yeah goood one...FIFA telling Cheney and Rumsfelt how to do day ting...I dont think that would ever happen.
Even airlines that FLY over the USA, I believe have to give passenger info to the USA
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:44:18 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>