March 28, 2024, 04:58:46 PM

Author Topic: Marvin Oliver Thread  (Read 49724 times)

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Oliver Interview
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
"kno wah ah mean"...........if yuh not sure if yuh doing something wrong as a question.........yuh eh new to the system or the fundamentals of being a professional 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »
Excellent interview IMO by Marvin Oliver and I see nothing wrong at all with what he said or how he said it.

Matter of fact, I found his opinion on Minor League football to be enlightening and forward thinking.  I would love to hear what ideas he has with regards to a relationship between the Minor League and the Pro League.  As he said, T&T is not England and we don't have a 3rd or 4th division.  We don't even have a promotion / demotion scenario.  Very valid points.

Well done Marvin.  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »
Excellent interview IMO by Marvin Oliver and I see nothing wrong at all with what he said or how he said it.

Matter of fact, I found his opinion on Minor League football to be enlightening and forward thinking.  I would love to hear what ideas he has with regards to a relationship between the Minor League and the Pro League.  As he said, T&T is not England and we don't have a 3rd or 4th division.  We don't even have a promotion / demotion scenario.  Very valid points.

I think the primary reason we doh have promotion/demotion is because of financial issues with de clubs who may be vying for promotion.  Plus yuh have clubs dat fielding teams in several leagues like Joe Public and Defence Force. Look at it dis way, de major requirement to be in de Pro League is dollars.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »

I think the primary reason we doh have promotion/demotion is because of financial issues with de clubs who may be vying for promotion.  Plus yuh have clubs dat fielding teams in several leagues like Joe Public and Defence Force. Look at it dis way, de major requirement to be in de Pro League is dollars.
st Lucia  st kitts  Haiti and Jamaica have a promotion/demotion  ... The Puerto Rican football league which started in 2007 already has a second division ...What we have is  the wrong people in charge ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »

st Lucia  st kitts  Haiti and Jamaica have a promotion/demotion  ... The Puerto Rican football league which started in 2007 already has a second division ...What we have is  the wrong people in charge ...

De funny ting is dat there is actually promotion to and demotion from de Super League and the Zonal leagues. Technically there is supposed to be promotion/demotion between de Super League and Pro League, but it has never happened.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »
Ammmmmmm ... interview? ... where were the questions? :devil:

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
make sense.  :applause:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Marvin Oliver eyes coaching role.
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2015, 02:47:14 AM »
Marvin Oliver eyes coaching role.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Central FC veteran midfield ace maestro Marvin Oliver, many believe, can possibly still make the national senior men’s team at age 39.

But even if that doesn’t turn out to be, the former US-based player could still have the opportunity to work with a national team as a coach someday.

Oliver is among a group of local coaches who passed the recent Concacaf ‘D’ License course staged by the T&T Football Association (TTFA). He received his coaching certificate last week from the local governing body after undergoing the course conduced by Concacaf instructors Lenny Lake and Andre Waugh and subsequently passing the “D” license examination at the TTFA offices at the Hasely Crawford Stadium a few weeks ago.

It is likely he will serve as a coach at the reigning Pro League champion club but he is also eying a call to national coaching duty as well.

“It’s been an eye opening experience for me working with the instructors and the youngsters,” Oliver said. “We tend to pay attention to the adult aspect of development and always want the finish product and not be involved in the starting of the product. For me it is more enjoyable coaching the youths.

“The instructors were of the highest level and they brought a whole lot of wisdom and understanding on how to deal with kids. One of the key aspects for it was letting us know that the game itself is the greatest teacher at that age. The way the instructors presented the course to us was a stand out. They allowed us to individually grow into it and see the whole picture of coaching at that level.”

Oliver said he was grateful for the opportunity put forward by the TTFA with the staging of the course. “I feel it was great to see the TTFA partnering with Concacaf and bringing the course to us.

I always feel it’s really good that the players who are involved in the Pro League now and who understand the mechanism of the players currently in the country to be involved in coaching. And with players like myself, Hector Sam, Kerry Baptiste and Joel Gibbons, if we can continue expanding our knowledge on the coaching side, who knows one day we can go on to working as a coach with the national senior team or one of the national youth teams,” Oliver said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Oliver eyes coaching role.
« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2015, 03:55:43 AM »
Go dey, dred, go dey!!

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin Oliver
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
It is time for Coach Hart to open his eyes and his brain to Mr Marvin Oliver...dis nonsense talk about fitness is nonsense..get this player on yuh Gold Cup roster.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
Marvin Oliver has had a visa issue in the past. Not sure if that is still the case but he may be ruled out of travel to the U.S. 
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
WATCH: One on one with Marvin Oliver

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8PcPuUJaqjU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8PcPuUJaqjU</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »
Hat trick marvin .

What a player I remember him that San Juan hatrick run like it was yesterday.

Staten Island Vipers. etc

Then back home to finish in the pro league.

A footballer to the very end.

Big time baller that.

Still playing at 40 most me walking round with big belly

Big up Marvin

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2016, 10:38:41 AM »
Central FC fired Marvin Oliver this morning.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Marvin Oliver Thread
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:07 AM »
Oliver’s Central FC contract terminated
By JOEL BAILEY (Newsday)

VETERAN MIDFIELDER Marvin Oliver is no longer a member of Digicel Pro League 2014-2015 champions Central FC. But there are serious doubts as to if the 40-year-old left was forced out of the club or if he left on his own accord.

Reports emerged that Central FC had terminated Oliver’s contract with immediate effect, with Oliver receiving the news yesterday morning when he arrived for training at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

The termination letter, published on online website Wired868.com and allegedly unsigned, read in part, “team manager Kevin Jeffrey has informed me that you have requested the club to terminate (sic) your contract as you wish to move to a new club. It is with great reluctance what I will accede to your request and arrange for your release effective (immediately).

Oliver, in a candid telephone interview with Newsday yesterday, revealed that Jeffrey summoned him and gave him the letter.

“When I read it, it informed me that my request had been granted (but) I never made a request to leave the club. And it said from immediate effect. I don’t know if it was a letter they had all the time and (were) just waiting on the moment to give it to me,” said the former Crab Connection, North East Stars, Caledonia AIA and San Juan Jabloteh midfielder.

The dreadlocked midfielder reiterated: “I never requested to leave the club. As Sancho stated, if any player has a problem, come and see him directly if they want to leave the club. And I never went to him stating I want to leave the club.” In September, Oliver was among a group of 24 players who wrote a petition to the club’s hierarchy asking for club owner Sancho and operations director Kevin Harrison (then Sports Minister and advisor to the Minister respectively) not to return to the club.

Oliver emphasised, “remember we signed a letter of petition stating we didn’t want Sancho and Kevin Harrison to return to the club because they don’t run the club like a professional club.

“We’ve had various meetings and I (said it’s) nothing personal but I said we signed a petition because of certain reasons. At the end of the day, I may be the one to take the (blame) but I feel free, like I got off (from) bondage. I’m probably the happiest man on earth who just lost his job.

“I wanted to honour my contract, being the pro that I am, even if I didn’t like how things were going. No-one can say that Marvin Oliver never gave his all to his club. They did some cruel things to me over the past couple of weeks but I held my head high.

I have nothing to be ashamed of.

I was abiding by their rules and their laws.” Oliver admitted that his playing time was cut since Dale Saunders took over from Ross Russell late last year but, whenever he made queries to the technical staff, was told that he was a model professional.

“Mr Sancho used to (say) that life starts and stops with Central,” said Oliver. “But it doesn’t.

With the grace of Yahweh, I will see my way through. (Central FC) don’t control me.” Concerning his immediate future, Oliver said, “a man always have a future. I have my home team Jabloteh who I hold closely to my heart. It have (St Ann’s) Rangers who have a lot of promising youths who need the little experience and it have ambitious clubs who think they can win the League this year. With my help and my credentials, I will be a plus to any team.” And he is contemplating taking legal action for wages for what he believes is wrongful dismissal.

“Definitely they would have to compensate me for my losses because I’m unemployed right now. I would have to be a mad man to ask to leave my job without nothing in place. I have kids to see about and I have a reputation that can be tarnished by this. Something is going to have to come out of this because I honoured my contract, and that was the main thing. They didn’t have the respect at least to thank me or let me say goodbye to the players. I guess that’s how they do things.” Sancho however completely contradicted everything Oliver stated, making it emphatically clear that Oliver asked to leave the club.

“What happened (yesterday) is that Marvin asked for a release (on Monday) and the club said he’s free to go, like any other player at the point in time. He’s asked to leave the club, I guess, because of playing time, as far as I understand from management.

He wasn’t happy with the playing time that he was getting, so he wanted to move on, which is fine.

“We have some very talented players coming through and Marvin, being the other side of 40, we obviously will have to look towards the future.” Sancho, the former national defender, countered, “the question that you need to ask Marvin is if he did not ask for a release why he just didn’t say that when we gave him the letter.” Asked whether Oliver’s request to leave was verbal or written, Sancho replied, “it doesn’t matter. The point is that he communicated that he wanted to leave. When he got the letter (in the) morning he could have just said to the coaching staff ‘this is a mistake, I want to stay at the club’. I was standing there, he didn’t come to me and say anything.” Questioned if the parting of ways stemmed from the petition, Sancho replied, “everyone’s training, everyone’s playing very hard and the club is moulding into the right way. I have a job to do, I have a club to run and I’ll run it as a business. I make decisions based on the club’s well-being.

We’re second in the table, I don’t have time for grudges.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
Sounds to me like has probably said it in anger (no doubt with a few expletives included) but it seems the club administration was only too happy to present the letter the very next day  :o

or in other words:

He cuss whey de cu...t  :cursing: and dey say "alright, yuh M...er cu...t, you want to sign petition and turn roung and cuss me....Tek Letter in your preffen !!!! Youuurrrrr Firrreeeeddd !!!!! (in Vince McMann voice)  ;D ;D

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »
From what I heard is that Marvin Oliver can be disruptive in the dressing room at times.

Ross Russell was undermined by Marvin Oliver and three or four other players who think they are big stars at the club.

They told me that at a team meeting before Ross Russell left, players were complaining about no discipline. One complaint was players missing training and then walking straight back onto the team while others that trained hard had to sit in the stands.

When Ross left, Dale Saunders, backed by Brent Sancho and Stern John, had a new high intensity type of play based on the Bayern Munich style. The idea is to close down the opposition in their own half and force errors. This gives you lots more possession and frustrates the opposition. It needs a high level of fitness and they were having double sessions of 90 minutes without water breaks (just drinking from bottles during breaks in play).

One of the coaches told me that Marvin is still a great player but he just don't have the legs for their new system.

But in certain games, Marvin would play the whole 90 minutes because they felt some teams would give him the time and space he needs.

Sundays game vs Connection was very high tempo. Marvin was not selected.

But Marvin thinks he should play in every game and he totes his feelings.

He said, look at Kerry Baptiste who probably played less than 30 minutes between August and December and he never complained once. They even told him they would not be renewing his contract and he actually thanked them for the chance to be with the club. He was out of contract, but he continued to train with with them. When Central camped on Saturday, they let Kerry train also even though he doesn't have a contract.

I heard Marvin was upset about not playing on Sunday. He talked to Dale Saunders and Kevin Jeffrey after the game and asked if he was still in the clubs plans. I heard he said he didn't want to sit in the stands and would rather leave if he can't get regular football and they said ok, if that's what you want.

It seems Saunders had a meeting with Sancho and Harrison about Marvin cause his contract was until May. They had to decide to try to keep him or let him go. I think that if he is frustrated about not playing it didn't make sense to keep him when he didn't want to be here. He would get games, but not as many as he would want and they were thinking he may disrupt the dressing room if they forced him to stay.

Jeffrey gave him a letter at training. But it wasn't firing him it was saying they would let him go.

He was upset and wanted to talk to Sancho but they don't like doing that on the training ground.

I think probably Marvin didn't really want to leave and he should have waited for a meeting with them but he must have sent the letter to Lasana.

They told me that was crazy cause he said lots of things that will upset all the staff and his former teammates.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2016, 03:32:09 AM »
Oliver threatens legal action against Central FC.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Veteran midfielder Marvin Oliver has vowed to take legal actions against Central FC after he claimed to have been sacked without reason recently.

The termination letter was handed to him by assistant coach Kevin Jeffreys on Tuesday before a training session at the practice pitch of the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva and quoted club coach Dale Saunders as saying the firing was based on a request by the player, as he wanted to move on to another club.

However, Oliver sought to clear the air yesterday in a Guardian Media interview and pointed to his role in a signed petition by Central FC players last year, for monies they claimed were owed to them from the club’s earnings. The 41-year-old and father of five, is expected to submit an official letter to the T&T Pro League soon, following discussions with its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dexter Skeene.

The T&T Pro League upon receiving this letter, will schedule a meeting with the relevant committee and the club, to find a way forward. This resolution could recommend either the player return to the club or depart under grounds of mutual understanding. Oliver said he intends to take the matter as far as to the International Court of Arbitration as he does not want to pin his hopes entirely on the TT Pro League involvement.

In addition he is also holding talks with his legal representatives to decide on other means of action to retrieve monies owed to him by the club. His contract is due to expire on May 31 but he said the club is expected to honour a clause to facilitate him financially until he gets another job.

Oliver is convinced the club, which is managed by former national defender Brent Sancho and comprise operations manager Kevin Harrison, is acting on the disappointment of players standing for monies owed to them. “A verbal agreement was made by Sancho that the players will receive 50 per cent of all earnings by the club for the 2014/2015 football season but when it was time to pay they reneged” Oliver explained.

For that season the ‘Sharks’ as Central FC are called, copped the lion’s share of earnings—including the $1 million pro league title, Toyota Classic Cup, First Citizens Cup and the three rounds of competition in the pro league which carries a cash prize and trophy for each. The rounds are named after deceased players Kevon Carter, Akeem Adams and Rawle Fletcher.

“They decided not to honour the verbal agreement with the players and still the players were willing to get a good offer, but instead they wanted to pay us 10 per cent of the earnings which we refused. We told them that we wanted at least 40 per cent but they again declined that offer. The last offer they gave us is 20 per cent of the team’s winnings but the players didn’t want to accept that either” Oliver said.

The former national midfielder is now amongst a surviving bunch of players who signed the petition. He claimed most of the others have either been transferred or left the club as they faced victimisation due to their stance. He rubbished reports that he wanted to leave the club, explaining he asked if he could have been loaned to another club as he was not being used.

“I was asked to assist coach Dale Saunders when coach Ross Russell was sacked, so I told myself I had a future there. But then when I disagreed with some of the plans they had for the team, they decided to target me for my role in the petition signing. I was the one who lobbied the players to sign but the players all signed on their own free will” Oliver said.

He was left out of a number of matches and on Sunday last, he got a late call to join the team camp before their encounter against Defence Force. Attempts to contact Sancho were unsuccessful.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Central FC says Marvin Oliver’s contract was never terminated
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
Central FC says Marvin Oliver’s contract was never terminated
Central FC Media

Following several erroneous press articles over the last few days, the board of Central F.C. would like to advise the public of certain facts concerning the employment of Marvin Oliver, who has served the club throughout its short, yet successful history.

It is not usual for the board of Central F.C. to air personal issues in public, a fact that Mr. Oliver himself can testify to, yet due to the reckless and inaccurate reporting of this episode, the club feels it has no choice other than to defend its reputation as well as that of its players, staff and sponsors.

On Sunday 24th January, following a game vs W.Connection in which he took no part, Marvin Oliver spoke to Team Manager Kevin Jeffrey and Head Coach Dale Saunders. Mr. Oliver was disappointed in the number of appearances he had been making.  He made it clear that if he was not going to be starting more games he would prefer to leave the club. This is a usual occurrence in football, particularly when a player begins to mature.

Following on from this conversation, having no wish to prevent the player from continuing his career elsewhere, a letter was prepared by the club agreeing to release Mr. Oliver from his contract. This letter was delivered to Mr. Oliver at the training ground on Tuesday 26th January by Kevin Jeffrey, Dale Saunders and Derek Khan. Contrary to certain press statements, no impromptu meeting between Managing Director Brent Sancho, Dale Saunders and Stern John took place on the training field regarding Marvin Oliver.

At no point was Marvin Oliver's employment terminated by the club. Indeed, no official release from his contract has been prepared. Until an official release from contract letter was prepared and signed by both parties, Mr. Oliver's employment was intact. Indeed, it is standard practice that when a player leaves the club he is required to return all apparel before receiving his final salary. No such letter had been prepared or presented. This letter was merely correspondence confirming a verbal discussion. One of the reasons for such a letter is that it would give the recipient an opportunity to reconsider his actions before the formal letter of termination is issued.

Instead of following the recognized grievance procedure, or even, common employment practice, and requesting a meeting with the board, Mr. Oliver decided instead to contact a journalist and air his grievances publicly. This resulted in several untruths and misconceptions being expressed, exaggerated, and now repeated as if fact.

At this point, Central F.C. would have been within their rights to terminate Mr. Oliver's contract on the basis of gross misconduct by bringing the club into disrepute.

However, the board of Central F.C. decided instead to invite Mr. Oliver to a meeting at the club office to resolve the situation. Mr. Oliver was and still is, an employee of Central F.C. and is contracted until May 31st 2016.

As such, it is the responsibility of Mr. Oliver to attend meetings when requested. However, Mr. Oliver declined to attend the meeting and instead suggested to meet 4 days later in Port of Spain.

Again, this refusal to attend an official meeting is a contradiction of the terms of Mr. Oliver's contract.

One final attempt was made by the board to resolve the matter by requesting Mr. Oliver's attendance at a meeting on Friday 29th January 2016 at the club office. The invitation was sent in writing. The letter also reminded Mr. Oliver that it is his contractual duty to attend the meeting and a fine would be administered should he fail to attend, which is standard practice.

Once again, instead of responding in a professional and respectful manner, Mr. Oliver decided to send this letter to a journalist for publication, together with further derogatory remarks.

Mr. Oliver has provided exemplary service to Central F.C. on the field. Out of respect for Mr. Oliver and the service he has provided, Central F.C. has frequently been financially supportive of his community projects. Indeed, no other Central F.C. player has received as much support and respect as Mr. Oliver, a fact that he seems to have forgotton. The club has also supported him in two separate legal matters which were in the public domain, when the club could simply have terminated his contract. Several other incidents during his time with Central F.C. could have resulted in termination. In one incident the club lost a potential sponsor valued at around $200,000 per year. Our club sponsor, Bankers Insurance also helped Mr. Oliver financially, preventing his arrest. Central F.C. and its sponsors have also assisted Mr. Oliver with the building of his house by contributing finances and building materials.

The reality of the situation is that Mr. Oliver tried to force the club to select him more often. Unfortunately, despite his ability, the clubs coaches felt that he would not be suited to the new tactics employed by the club in most games. No club wants to force a player to stay when he wants to leave.

However, at no time had there been any discussion to terminate Marvin Oliver's contract. He was a squad player and would certainly be called upon from time to time. It would appear that Mr. Oliver didn't expect the club to accept his request to leave the club, and panicked, knowing that no other club would pay the same level of salary as he received at Central F.C.

It is these situations which clearly show the need for a players association. Had Mr. Oliver had access to professional advice, the situation may well have been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. Instead it appears that outside influences, perhaps with their own agendas, have convinced Mr. Oliver to take a more militant route in the public domain.

Airing such grievances in public can benefit no party other than the journalist. Yet it is the player and the club, and, ultimately, the game of football, whose reputations are tarnished in the name of writing one or two headlines.

As we have seen so many times, the real loser in this dispute will be the beautiful game.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
Central sack Marvin Oliver; veteran playmaker lifts lid on “toxic” Sharks.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868)

Pro League defending champions, Central FC, parted company with their veteran midfield star and former captain, Marvin Oliver, in controversial fashion this morning  at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella.

The evergreen Oliver, who turns 41 in August and was the club’s best player last season, was handed an oddly worded termination letter by Central manager Kevin Jeffrey and allegedly told not to join his teammates on the training ground.

Oliver’s contract with the club runs until 31 May 2016.

Bizarrely, the Pro League club claimed that it was Oliver who asked to be released.

The termination letter was not signed by club chairman Brent Sancho or operations manager Kevin Harrison and suggested that the player wanted to leave the “Couva Sharks.”

“Team manager Kevin Jeffrey has informed me that you have requested the club to terminate (sic) your contract as you wish to move to a new club,” stated the letter, which bore the name of head coach Dale Saunders but no signature. “While this news has saddened me as you are very much an important member of the squad, I have no wish to retain your services if you are no longer comfortable with the team…

“It is with great reluctance that I will accede to your request and arrange for your release, effective today.”

Sancho and his former 2006 World Cup teammate, Stern John, were both on the training ground where they now serve as assistant coaches to Saunders. None spoke to Oliver and Jeffrey allegedly warned him not to approach the group during the session.

Wired868 tried unsuccessfully to get comment on the termination letter from Central FC management.

Oliver, who helped Central to their first Pro League and Caribbean Cup titles last year, said he felt set up, victimised and mistreated by the Sharks’ management.

On Wednesday 16 September 2015, Oliver was among 24 players who wrote to Central’s then board of directors and urged them not to reinstate Sancho and Harrison—former Sport Minister and advisor to the Sport Minister respectively—until they were cleared of several allegations related to their conduct at the club.

At the time, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) was investigating Sancho and Harrison regarding their: conduct with regards to the transfers of Central FC forward Rundell Winchester, the signing of then 16-year-old winger Levi Garcia, and the alleged misappropriation of CONCACAF funds and non-payment of bonuses to Central players.

The TTFA’s investigations have stalled under new president David John Williams.

The players’ stance was ineffective as, with the help of Bankers Insurance CEO Vance Gabriel, Sancho and Harrison seized control of the club.

Oliver and Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams were both subsequently quizzed by Sancho about their role in the players’ petition that sought to keep them at bay.

Oliver ran afoul of Central management again after the 2015 First Citizens Cup final on October 30, as he was among several players fined five percent of their salaries—without a hearing—for not collecting medals.

Central gave the veteran midfielder a one week suspension on top of the fine for tossing the disciplinary letter to the ground in disgust.

Over the past week, Oliver claimed he was frozen out of the first team and watching from the sidelines as Saunders worked on his shadow drills for the Pro League squad.

The elegant, versatile midfielder was initially left out of the 22-man squad to face rivals, DIRECTV W Connection, on Sunday but subsequently received a late call-up and was an unplayed substitute for the game, which ended 1-1.

After the game, Oliver said he approached Saunders and Jeffrey and asked whether he was in their plans as a player. And, if not, whether a loan away from the team was possible.

“After the game, I asked if there were any plans for me because I could just sit on the bench and collect money but I wanted to contribute,” said Oliver. “I said they could send me on loan for the rest of the season if they had no plans for me. They told me to talk to Brent (Sancho) about it and I said I don’t need to do that but if I got an offer (from another club) I will tell him.

“The last thing Dale told me was ‘don’t worry yourself’. Then I come this morning to train and Kevin Jeffrey hand me a letter saying my contract was terminated.”

Oliver vowed to contest the dismissal and will fight for the TT$6,000 owed to him in wages plus the remaining worth of his contract, which is an additional TT$40,000.

“This is an embarrassment,” Oliver told Wired868. “I can walk away from football now but they have to pay me. They are real disrespectful.”

The bean-pole Rastafarian lashed out at his former employers and said that players were subjected to a toxic atmosphere at Central. He claimed that Williams, who asked to be replaced as club captain, was was also being victimised.

Oliver called Sancho a hypocrite for his supposedly oppressive approach to footballers, despite being one of the founding members of the defunct Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT).

“Those fellahs don’t mean good to young players,” said Oliver. “I can say plenty about what goes on at Central but the Father says a still tongue is better. What happened today hurt but the joy is greater. I can walk with my head high.

“I know Brent (Sancho) from when we played National Under-12 together. Dale Saunders and I played National Under-23 football and Stern John and I played in the EFA (Eastern Football Association) together.

“Now, they can’t watch me in my face. They got opportunities I didn’t get as a player but I have more class than those fellahs.”

Although Oliver, who has a CONCACAF licence for grassroots coaching, faces an uncertain future, he said he was happy to leave the work environment at Central, which, he claimed, steadily worsened after the departures of former coaches Terry Fenwick and Zoran Vranes allowed Sancho and Harrison more hands-on opportunities with the playing squad.

“To tell you the truth, I feel good to come away from this environment,” Oliver told Wired868. “The good I feel in my spirit is I don’t have to pray with evil people every morning. It is like freedom. Like I am out of prison after 50 years and chains just come off of me.

“I gave them everything. But God knows best and this is how this has to end.

“I was helping their empire to stand up and I am glad that I am free of that.”

Oliver was one of just two survivors from Central’s first Pro League match on 19 October 2012 along with defender Keion Goodridge.

Former World Cup 2006 attacker, Anthony Wolfe, scored a penalty that afternoon as the Sharks got off to a winning start under former Chelsea coach Graham Rix.

Oliver played for five coaches at Central, as Rix was succeeded by Fenwick, Vranes, Ross Russell and current head coach, Saunders. The former San Juan North student was recently selected among the Secondary Schools Football League’s (SSFL) best players over its initial 50-year history.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:00:57 PM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2016, 07:06:18 AM »
Look the letter there, Sancho and them have to be real idiots.

I hope Marvin sue them and get even more that he is owed for his troubles.

You would think Sancho and Harrison would know better.

And who de hell give Saunders de right to give players termination letter, he put de club in trouble.

Sancho was always a weak rasta and he should shave his head.

You would think this fool Sancho would be a great administrator after what he pass through with T&T, some people head just hard.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2016, 08:53:25 AM »
Shaka keeps close eyes on Oliver's case.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Local outfit Central FC and former San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Marvin Oliver have been going at it over the past week about contractual agreements. The evergreen midfielder accused Central FC management of illegally terminating his contract and vow to take his former employers to court for breach of contract.

The matter has piqued the attention of former T&T goalkeeper and ESPN analyst Shaka Hislop who has been following the matter very closely and had the following to say:

“I had been aware of the developing issue between Central FC and Marvin Oliver since Tuesday when he was presented with a letter from Central FC head coach Dale Saunders.”

“The letter is on Central FC's letterhead and it was minacious and definite in its intention, regardless of the attempts by the club to readdress.”

“From the outset, my belief was that the letter presented to Marvin by Mr. Saunders made this issue a legal one. To his full credit, Marvin had already sensibly contacted legal counsel, hence his silence on the matter.”

“Over the last couple of days I have spoken to Marvin and his counsel both individually and in conference on several occasions, and I am confident of his representation.”

“There were a number of elements to Central FC’s release that I found disconcerting, which has prompted me. Firstly, the release was little more than a personal attack on a player who has represented them to the best of his ability since the first minute of Central FC’s first game in existence.”

“Added to that, those personal attacks were unwarranted, unfair, desperately untrue, totally irrelevant and serve only as a distraction to the facts of the case. My continued advice to Marvin would be to maintain his silence, refraining from further comment, and await instruction from his legal counsel, ended Shaka.”

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:13:23 PM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
By Inshan Mohammed.

Local outfit Central FC and former San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Marvin Oliver have been going at it over the past week about contractual agreements. The evergreen midfielder accused Central FC management of illegally terminating his contract and vow to take his former employers to court for breach of contract.

The matter has piqued the attention of former T&T goalkeeper and ESPN analyst Shaka Hislop who has been following the matter very closely and had the following to say:

“I had been aware of the developing issue between Central FC and Marvin Oliver since Tuesday when he was presented with a letter from Central FC head coach Dale Saunders.”

“The letter is on Central FC's letterhead and it was minacious and definite in its intention, regardless of the attempts by the club to readdress.”

“From the outset, my belief was that the letter presented to Marvin by Mr. Saunders made this issue a legal one. To his full credit, Marvin had already sensibly contacted legal counsel, hence his silence on the matter.”

“Over the last couple of days I have spoken to Marvin and his counsel both individually and in conference on several occasions, and I am confident of his representation.”

“There were a number of elements to Central FC’s release that I found disconcerting, which has prompted me. Firstly, the release was little more than a personal attack on a player who has represented them to the best of his ability since the first minute of Central FC’s first game in existence.”

“Added to that, those personal attacks were unwarranted, unfair, desperately untrue, totally irrelevant and serve only as a distraction to the facts of the case. My continued advice to Marvin would be to maintain his silence, refraining from further comment, and await instruction from his legal counsel, ended Shaka.”

Second time I feel so proud of Shaka !!!!! great stuff and he say it like it is, glad he helping off the field, he should bring back the players association, he have de knowledge to do it because de rest is just talkers. Now, I can back him up,,.... good for Marvin Oliver to get some backing, Sancho and them want to do people wrong and feel they go bend down...

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »
By Inshan Mohammed.

Were was Shaka when W Connection coach fired there goalkeeper a couple years ago he seems to be always trying to be politically correct.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
Sancho is a durrrty stinking pothound.........how the tables have turned

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2016, 01:11:36 AM »
Sancho & Harrison is real scumbags oui. And they have Stern John in dey camp now. If he ent watch he self he might become a pariah like dem two nastiness. How the hell could Sancho be managing director and coach too? Surely that's a breach of fundamental business ethics! And to think this cretin used to talk about Jack Warner. Steups...bunch ah idiots!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:41:15 PM by Thomo »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
Sancho, Harrison is real scumbags oui. And they have Stern John as in dey camp now. If he ent watch he self he might become a pariah too like dem two nastiness. How the hell could Sancho be managing director and coach too? Surely that's a breach of fundamental business ethics! And thus cretin used to talk about Jack Warner. Steups bunch ah idiots!!

ETHICS from Sanko yuh 4get he is a member of the UNC
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »
We helped build Oliver’s house! Sancho fires back at ex-Central captain.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

The Central FC board, which is headed by ex-Sport Minister Brent Sancho and includes his former advisor Kevin Harrison, responded to the furore over the sacking of its former captain Marvin Oliver with a 983-word press release, published on the Soca Warriors Online website, that both confirmed and denied releasing the player.

In an extraordinary personal attack, Central also described Oliver as ungrateful and claimed that the club helped build his house and keep him out of jail.

The Sancho-led board also suggested, in the statement, that Oliver was convinced to make his “militant stance” by a journalist. The press statement was emailed by Harrison and provided contact details for him and Sancho, in case of follow-up questions.

The 41 year old midfield star and former San Juan North student, who was recently selected among the best Secondary School Football League (SSFL) players for the past 50 years, contacted Wired868 soon after Central manager Kevin Jeffrey told him his contract was terminated.

The club’s account of where the friction started with Oliver is consistent with the player’s recollection. The dreadlocked playmaker, who was one of Central’s outstanding players last season, asked his coach, Dale Saunders, if he was expected to be used regularly in the near future.

And, if not, whether the club was willing to let him leave on loan.

Central confirmed this conversation, although they did not mention whether Oliver had suggested a loan move.

Central then prepared a termination letter for Oliver, which was handed to him by Jeffrey on behalf of Saunders.

“Following on from this conversation, having no wish to prevent the player from continuing his career elsewhere, a letter was prepared by the club agreeing to release Mr Oliver from his contract,” stated the Central release today. “This letter was delivered to Mr Oliver at the training ground on Tuesday 26 January by Kevin Jeffrey, Dale Saunders and Derek Khan.”

The initial letter, which was published by Wired868, informed that the club would: “arrange for your release, effective today.”

Oliver was also told not to join the team on the training ground and to leave the premises.

Bizarrely—despite handing Oliver a letter which said his contract was terminated—Sancho, Harrison and the remaining Central board members claimed that Oliver was not fired.

“At no point was Marvin Oliver’s employment terminated by the club,” stated Central’s press release. “Indeed, no official release from his contract has been prepared. Until an official release from contract letter was prepared and signed by both parties, Mr Oliver’s employment was intact…

“This letter was merely correspondence confirming a verbal discussion.”

Central suggested Oliver was trying to win a battle of wills, so as to get more playing time, and the club called his bluff.

“At no time had there been any discussion to terminate Marvin Oliver’s contract,” stated the Central release. “He was a squad player and would certainly be called upon from time to time.

“It would appear that Mr Oliver didn’t expect the club to accept his request to leave the club, and panicked, knowing that no other club would pay the same level of salary as he received at Central FC.”

By Central’s own admission then, Oliver did not want to leave the club but only hoped to get more playing time. And it was the “Couva Sharks” who escalated the situation when they gave him a release letter and asked the player to leave the premises.

Oliver said, when he received the letter, he promptly told Jeffrey he did not wish to be released. He claimed Jeffrey then went over to Sancho, Saunders, assistant coach Dale Saunders and another team manager, Derek Khan, and held a brief meeting.

Khan then walked over and said the club stood by their release letter.

The club denied that this meeting took place. But, in today’s release, the Sharks admitted that they did not get the response they expected from Oliver.

Instead of grovelling for his job, Oliver contacted Wired868, lodged a complaint with the Pro League, wrote to Sancho and asked to be paid up for the remainder of his contract and sought legal advice.

Sancho and Harrison suggested that Oliver’s response was not in keeping with “recognised grievance procedure.”

“One of the reasons for such a letter is that it would give the recipient an opportunity to reconsider his actions before the formal letter of termination is issued,” stated the Central board. “Instead of following the recognised grievance procedure, or even, common employment practice, and requesting a meeting with the board, Mr Oliver decided instead to contact a journalist and air his grievances publicly.”

Central further blamed the entire incident on the journalist that Oliver discussed the matter with, who is Wired868 editor Lasana Liburd.

“It appears that outside influences, perhaps with their own agendas, have convinced Mr Oliver to take a more militant route in the public domain,” stated Central. “Airing such grievances in public can benefit no party other than the journalist.

“Yet it is the player and the club, and, ultimately, the game of football, whose reputations are tarnished in the name of writing one or two headlines.”

The Central board claimed that they could have justifiably fired Oliver for talking to the media—notwithstanding the fact that they had already sacked him.

Sancho offered to meet the sacked player and possibly fine him instead.

“Central FC would have been within their rights to terminate Mr Oliver’s contract on the basis of gross misconduct by bringing the club into disrepute,” stated Central. “However, the board of Central FC decided instead to invite Mr Oliver to a meeting at the club office to resolve the situation. Mr Oliver was and still is, an employee of Central FC and is contracted until 31 May 2016.

“As such, it is the responsibility of Mr Oliver to attend meetings when requested. However, Mr Oliver declined to attend the meeting and instead suggested to meet four days later in Port of Spain…

“One final attempt was made by the board to resolve the matter by requesting Mr Oliver’s attendance at a meeting on Friday 29 January 2016 at the club office…

“The letter also reminded Mr Oliver that it is his contractual duty to attend the meeting and a fine would be administered should he fail to attend, which is standard practice.

“Once again, instead of responding in a professional and respectful manner, Mr Oliver decided to send this letter to a journalist for publication, together with further derogatory remarks.”

The Central board claimed that it chose the high moral ground in its response to Oliver’s “derogatory remarks”—the player told Wired868 that Sancho was worse than ex-FIFA vice-president Jack Warner—out of respect for his “exemplary service” to the club.

Central then claimed to have given Oliver building material for his house and prevented his potential arrest in a legal matter.

“The club has also supported him in two separate legal matters which were in the public domain, when the club could simply have terminated his contract,” stated the Central release. “Several other incidents during his time with Central FC could have resulted in termination. In one incident, the club lost a potential sponsor valued at around $200,000 per year.

“Our club sponsor, Bankers Insurance also helped Mr Oliver financially, preventing his arrest.

“Central FC and its sponsors have also assisted Mr Oliver with the building of his house by contributing finances and building materials.”

Incidentally, even as Sancho and Harrison claim that Oliver has harmed the image of the Pro League club, the two Central directors are under investigation by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) regarding their: conduct with regards to the transfers of Central FC forward Rundell Winchester, the signing of then 16-year-old winger Levi Garcia, and the alleged misappropriation of CONCACAF funds and non-payment of bonuses to Central players.

The probe has paused under new TTFA president David John Williams, who is yet to restart the relevant disciplinary bodies.

The Central board, whose directors Sancho and Harrison were both members of the now defunct Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT), claimed that the Oliver brouhaha is a good example as to why the country needs a players association.

“It is these situations which clearly show the need for a players association,” stated the Central board. “Had Mr Oliver had access to professional advice, the situation may well have been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties.”

The need for a players association might be one thing Sancho, Harrison and Oliver could all agree on.

Oliver has denied all of the club’s allegations.

It is not usual for the board of Central FC to air personal issues in public, a fact that Mr Oliver himself can testify to. Yet due to the reckless and inaccurate reporting of this episode, the club feels it has no choice other than to defend its reputation as well as that of its players, staff and sponsors.

On Sunday 24 January, following a game versus W Connection in which he took no part, Marvin Oliver spoke to Team Manager Kevin Jeffrey and Head Coach Dale Saunders. Mr Oliver was disappointed in the number of appearances he had been making.

He made it clear that if he was not going to be starting more games he would prefer to leave the club. This is a usual occurrence in football, particularly when a player begins to mature.

Following on from this conversation, having no wish to prevent the player from continuing his career elsewhere, a letter was prepared by the club agreeing to release Mr Oliver from his contract.

This letter was delivered to Mr Oliver at the training ground on Tuesday 26th January by Kevin Jeffrey, Dale Saunders and Derek Khan.

Contrary to certain press statements, no impromptu meeting between Managing Director Brent Sancho, Dale Saunders and Stern John took place on the training field regarding Marvin Oliver.

At no point was Marvin Oliver’s employment terminated by the club. Indeed, no official release from his contract has been prepared.

Until an official release from contract letter was prepared and signed by both parties, Mr Oliver’s employment was intact. Indeed, it is standard practice that when a player leaves the club he is required to return all apparel before receiving his final salary.

No such letter had been prepared or presented.

This letter was merely correspondence confirming a verbal discussion. One of the reasons for such a letter is that it would give the recipient an opportunity to reconsider his actions before the formal letter of termination is issued.

Instead of following the recognised grievance procedure, or even, common employment practice, and requesting a meeting with the board, Mr Oliver decided instead to contact a journalist and air his grievances publicly.

This resulted in several untruths and misconceptions being expressed, exaggerated, and now repeated as if fact.

At this point, Central FC would have been within their rights to terminate Mr Oliver’s contract on the basis of gross misconduct by bringing the club into disrepute.

However, the board of Central FC decided instead to invite Mr Oliver to a meeting at the club office to resolve the situation.

Mr Oliver was and still is, an employee of Central FC and is contracted until 31 May 2016.

As such, it is the responsibility of Mr Oliver to attend meetings when requested. However, Mr Oliver declined to attend the meeting and instead suggested to meet four days later in Port of Spain.

Again, this refusal to attend an official meeting is a contradiction of the terms of Mr Oliver’s contract.

One final attempt was made by the board to resolve the matter by requesting Mr Oliver’s attendance at a meeting on Friday 29 January 2016 at the club office. The invitation was sent in writing.

The letter also reminded Mr Oliver that it is his contractual duty to attend the meeting and a fine would be administered should he fail to attend, which is standard practice.

Once again, instead of responding in a professional and respectful manner, Mr Oliver decided to send this letter to a journalist for publication, together with further derogatory remarks.

Mr Oliver has provided exemplary service to Central FC on the field. Out of respect for Mr Oliver and the service he has provided, Central FC has frequently been financially supportive of his community projects.

Indeed, no other Central FC player has received as much support and respect as Mr Oliver, a fact that he seems to have forgotten.

The club has also supported him in two separate legal matters which were in the public domain, when the club could simply have terminated his contract.

Several other incidents during his time with Central FC could have resulted in termination.

In one incident the club lost a potential sponsor valued at around TT$200,000 per year. Our club sponsor, Bankers Insurance also helped Mr Oliver financially, preventing his arrest.

Central FC and its sponsors have also assisted Mr Oliver with the building of his house by contributing finances and building materials.

The reality of the situation is that Mr Oliver tried to force the club to select him more often. Unfortunately, despite his ability, the club’s coaches felt that he would not be suited to the new tactics employed by the club in most games.

No club wants to force a player to stay when he wants to leave.

However, at no time had there been any discussion to terminate Marvin Oliver’s contract. He was a squad player and would certainly be called upon from time to time.

It would appear that Mr Oliver didn’t expect the club to accept his request to leave the club, and panicked, knowing that no other club would pay the same level of salary as he received at Central FC.

It is these situations which clearly show the need for a players association. Had Mr. Oliver had access to professional advice, the situation may well have been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties.

Instead it appears that outside influences, perhaps with their own agendas, have convinced Mr Oliver to take a more militant route in the public domain.

Airing such grievances in public can benefit no party other than the journalist. Yet it is the player and the club, and, ultimately, the game of football, whose reputations are tarnished in the name of writing one or two headlines.

As we have seen so many times, the real loser in this dispute will be the beautiful game.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
Brent Sancho ...Who the  ???  do think you are ?.. aren't you the same individual  who sought justice , in odrer to be treated fairly?  Oh how things have changed . The shoe is now on  the other foot so as a result the cry is foul . what an irony Brent Sancho !!  The fact that  you have personalised your  attack on Mr Marvin Oliver  for his stance as it relates  to his contractual issues  @ central Fc does not require any reproach by you and or anyone else  mentioning  any thing to do with his house and any other personal related matters  ... thats uncalled for .!   

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2016, 12:10:09 AM »
I conclude Sancho is a complete narcissist. The only people he seems to convince that the letter Jeffrey originally gave to oliver is not a termination letter us himself,  Stern John, Saunders and Harrison. Noone else believes that crap that he's regurgitating now!! IDIOT

1]; } ?>