March 28, 2024, 07:16:52 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Oliver Thread  (Read 49716 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Marvin Oliver Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:58 AM »
Sancho: Oliver a no-show.
By Sean Taylor (Express).

No change has been reported in the situation between Central FC playmaker Marvin Oliver and the club’s administration, according to club chairman Brent Sancho in a brief interview with the Express yesterday.

Oliver was scheduled to meet with the club last week Thursday to come to an agreement regarding a dispute that started because of his lack of playing time, and eventually culminated with reports in the media that the club had released him. According to Sancho, the player had not attended the first meeting, citing that he had “other things to do”.

The meeting was postponed to Monday, which Oliver also did not attend according to the chairman. “He didn’t show up and we haven’t heard anything from him,” he said. “So we’d probably send the information to the Pro League, and hopefully get some resolution.”

Sancho went on to say that the club was disappointed about the actions Oliver took as a contracted player. “Hopefully common sense will prevail,” he said. “We have rules and regulations at the club... he’s made a decision on his own without having made any proper dialogue with the club so we will have to take the necessary disciplinary action as we deem fit.”

Sancho made no indication that his club will look for a replacement for Oliver before the transfer window closes. “We’re always looking to bolster the squad, and continue to do so,” he said. “We would not sign anybody unless we believe they would contribute in a significant way to the club.

For the past five or six games we’ve been undefeated, we’ve been playing some of the best football we’ve played all season.

We’ve seen players now step up and we’re giving them the opportunity to play and whoever needs to come in has to have the ability or least the potential of at least unseating the ones who are currently starting.”

Regarding the action on the pitch, Sancho could not be happier about the current form of the “Couva Sharks”. “We’ve changed things in a significant way in the way that we train and the way that we do our business on and off the field.”

Sancho indicated that the club seems to be moving forward in spite of the recent controversy, stating that new sponsors will be coming on board, as well as a verbal agreement for a possible partnership with a Championship club in England.

“We already have a verbal agreement,” he said. “So we are on our way hopefully to putting pen to paper with this partnership which will now see us a potential feeder club for this club in England.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2016, 04:12:01 AM »
Sancho turned out to be a real Uncle Tom.

I hope Oliver bury them in court.

Good going by Shaka also.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:47:54 AM by Tallman »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2016, 04:58:14 AM »
Sacked Oliver calls on Lara, Bravos, Boldon for help.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

After being sacked by Central FC, veteran midfielder Marvin Oliver is now hoping to start his own coaching school to make ends meet.

He told the Guardian yesterday he was initially thinking about getting into agriculture, but feels his belief and faith in the Almighty God has led him to deal with the youth of the nation through his God-given football talent. Before the academy could be started however the 41-year old rastafarian, is calling on a number of successful sportsmen from the San Juan/Santa Cruz area such as West Indies batting legend Brian Lara, brothers Dwayne and Darren Bravo, Olympic trackstar Ato Boldon and ex-national footballers Hector Sam, Marvin Andrews and Jason Scotland to help him acquire equipment such as footballs, cones, goalposts, bibs, coolers and uniforms etc to get his project off the ground.

He is also calling on corporate T&T to join him as he embarks on this new journey in his life. Oliver, who was asked to assist Central FC coach Dale Saunders after the firing of Ross Russell late last year, is promising that his academy will be one with a difference. “It will not only teach young people about football but it must also tell young budding footballers about the importance of Almight God in their lives because of what he has done and continues to do for them” Oliver said.

With no means of income presently, the dread-locks footballer has set the Easter vacation for the start of his academy at the San Juan Secondary ground.

Only last year he graduated with a FIFA Grassroots Certificate at the Hasely Crawford Stadium last year, a course he did with Sam and another former national striker Kerry Baptiste.

He explained he has been terribly disappointed by the recent developments at the Central ‘Sharks’ as he had done nothing to offend them. Oliver, whose national career began with a Jean Lilywhite-coached Under-15 team that was triumphant at an international tournament in Martinique in 1990, was fired when he asked if it was alright for him to be sent out on loan with another club.

Club manager Kevin Jeffreys delivered a termination letter to him soon after his request at a training session at the training ground of the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, but he has since said he will challenge the dismissal, although Central FC management responded a few days later, saying the letter it gave to him was not a termination letter but a warning that his contract can be terminated.

Oliver is expected to meet with his Attorneys today to decide on a way forward. He told Guardian his life had been turned upsided down, with his children questioning what he would do now to generate income. “My biggest son in the United States Jamari Oliver called me and said he was disappointed to have heard what had happened to me at Central FC” Oliver said.

He said while he does not hold any malice against the club’s managing director Brent Sancho, he was saddened by claims by him that they helped him (Oliver) build his house, when he did not even receive something as small as a nail, from the club to construct his home.

“Because of this fabrication, my children have been questioning me on whether I received monies to build the house but spent it out” Oliver concluded.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »
And so the saga continues.  Wey men like contro to put deh head on ah block fuh Sancho and Harrison now? SMH

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »
So was he sacked ??? He say he was and Sancho say he was not.

Did he turn up to any meetings with the Club Officials ???

If not...was his contract terminated as a result ???

Who is advising him not to attend meetings with the club ???

Is he hanging up his boots ???

Somebody...anybody give we an update nah ???

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2016, 06:45:26 AM »
The Players’ Status Committee has therefore ruled as follows:

i. That the player be paid all outstanding monies owed inclusive of salary for the months of January and February without deductions.

ii. That no obstacle should be placed in the path of the player with regard to him seeking to be transferred to another Club.

Marvin was not fired and remained an employee of the club. But Marvin did not want to return to the club so he has left as a free agent. Central will pay him his February salary as he has already received his January salary.

This should highlight to players that they should follow the correct grievance procedure instead of running to the press. Marvin has lost 4 months salary through his actions, instead of accepting that his role would no longer be as an automatic starter.

While Central have successfully defended their actions, it is sad that one of their pioneer players has left this way, particularly when he may have left with another Pro League title and maybe another CFU title as well had he stayed.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »
... Facts intermingled with editorialising.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 27, 2016, 08:21:21 AM »
... Facts intermingled with editorialising.

I think so. He got paid for the month of February when he left since in January.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #248 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
Pro League rules for Oliver! Central FC ordered to compensate ex-captain.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

The Pro League’s Players Status Committee today ruled against its own board member, Central FC, as it declared that the defending Caribbean and Pro League champions had improperly dismissed their former captain and ace midfielder Marvin Oliver.

Central, which is headed by former Sport Minister and 2006 World Cup player Brent Sancho, must now pay Oliver’s salary for February and hand over all outstanding bonuses due to the 41 year old midfielder.

However, it was not a complete victory as the three-member Status Committee, which is chaired by attorney Dave Williams, did not unanimously agree that Oliver’s contract was “illegally terminated.”

As such, the “Couva Sharks” were not ordered to pay Oliver for the remainder of his contract, which expires in May. It means the Pro League committee essentially allowed its member club to avoid having to honour their contract with the player, which they ripped up.

The midfielder does have the option to seek redress in the local courts, though.

Oliver declared that his triumph was a win for Pro League players, who were often allegedly mistreated by club owners and he thanked former Football Players of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT) president Shaka Hislop and his lawyer Garth Gilbert for their support. He was also grateful to Wired868 for its fair coverage of the issue.

“I feel proud,” Oliver told Wired868. “I know I had a team of good people around me like yourself, Shaka and my lawyer, so it was a collective effort. I feel it is something good for Pro League players because it is about getting things done in the right way.

“Hopefully, club owners will know they cannot go that way again.”

On Tuesday January 16, Oliver received a letter from Central manager Kevin Jeffrey, which stated that the club had agreed to the player’s request to have his contract terminated.

Oliver informed Jeffrey that he never asked to be released but, after allegedly talking to Sancho and coaches Dale Saunders and Stern John, the manager said the board stood by its decision and asked the former club captain to leave the premises.

After Wired868 broke the story, Central, allegedly through operations manager Kevin Harrison and Sancho, launched a remarkable attack on Oliver in which the club claimed to have helped built the player’s house and saved him from jail.

Oliver denied both allegations while Hislop—Sancho’s former international teammate and FPATT colleague—publicly criticised the club’s handling of the matter.

Even Central’s back-pedalling seemed bizarre, as Sancho claimed that Oliver had not been fired and ordered the player to report to training or be fined.

The Pro League’s Player Status Committee ruled today that Oliver was indeed dismissed and is now officially a free agent.

He has already been wooed by his hometown club, Play Whe San Juan Jabloteh, and is likely to return to the club that he represented before moving to Central.

Oliver joined Central as soon as the club was formed in 2012 and had been an ever present for the Sharks ever since. He was one of their most outstanding players in 2015, which remains the best year in the club’s history, as they became local and regional champions for the first time.

“It is a bittersweet moment for me because I still have friends at Central,” said Oliver. “But I feel good because I stood up for myself. By the grace of Yahweh, he provides for me.

“I am supposed to sign with Jabloteh and I am looking forward to doing that. And I want to start a coaching school afterwards. Or maybe go into farming.”

Sancho and Harrison did not respond to requests for comment by Wired868.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
Marvin Oliver completes return to Jabloteh.
ttproleague.com.

Veteran midfielder Marvin Oliver will mark his return to San Juan Jabloteh in front of home supporters when the “San Juan Kings” welcome Point Fortin Civic from 4:30pm on Saturday at the Barataria Recreation Ground.

The 40-year-old former Trinidad and Tobago international midfielder’s registration was completed today, giving Jabloteh head coach Keith Jeffrey the greenlight for Saturday’s fixture—Jabloteh’s first return to a community field in 17 years.

Defending Digicel Pro League champions Central FC had issued Oliver a termination letter on January 25, claiming it was based on the player’s request.

Back then Oliver denied seeking termination. Oliver said he was being frozen out and simply questioned what the club would do if another club was willing to have him on loan.

Central later requested a formal meeting with the player, but Oliver, a member of Central’s squad since inception in 2012, said he felt mistreated and will not explore a return to the club.

A decision by the Player Status Committee this month has allowed Oliver, the 2007 Toyota/Pro League player, free movement to another club.

Oliver, who represented Jabloteh between 2008 and 2012, and is the holder of a Concacaf licence for grassroots coaching, has been signed by his hometown club Jabloteh for the remainder of the 2015/16 season.

1]; } ?>