April 26, 2024, 04:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors get cash  (Read 1061 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors get cash
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:34:52 AM »
Trinidad Guardian
Jovan Ravello

T&T Football Federation (T&TFF) president Oliver Camps, left, and T&TFF Special Advisor Jack Austin Warner, right, flank Poland coach Leo Beenhakker as they display the tokens of anticipation presented to them by the Government at a reception held in honour of T&T’s senior national footballers at the Clico Hospitality Suite, Queen’s Park Oval, St Clair yesterday. Photo: Anthony Harris

Fourteen players who were members of the Soca Warriors but did not gain selection for the World Cup in Germany, along with the technical support crew, were honoured at a reception at the Clico Hospitality Suite, Queen’s Park Oval, yesterday.

The function was the final act of the T&T Football Federation’s (T&TFF) Project 2006.

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes, in his address, stressed the importance of the support staff.

“I have always found that one of the features of team sport to be the way it teaches to rejoice quietly when others get the attention and accolades.”

Boynes told the players who were not selected in the final 23 that the rewards given to them should remind them of the indispensable foundation work they put in to help the team get to Germany.

The players received $200,000 in units from the Unit Trust Corporation and $50,000. Members of the support staff were presented with $250,000 while Beenhakker was presented with $1 million.

Forward Nigel “Pistol” Pierre was full of gratitude to the Government for making good on its promise made last month.

“Being a part of the team and not going to Germany was unfortunate but I want to thank Government for taking care of the players who did not make it to the final leg of the journey.

“I am a team player so every moment I was out there I played with my heart and gave my all. I would have like to continue but it did not work out that way.

“I was happy with the performances especially for a first time qualifier and us being the smallest country at the World Cup.”

Pierre, who plays in the T&T Pro Football League with Caledonia AIA, did not rule out the possibility of a return to the national team.

Shaun Fuentes, the youngest press officer at the 2006 World Cup finals, said that he did not go into the campaign anticipating rewards.

“But qualifying for the World Cup and being part of the greatest team effort ever exhibited was a rewarding experience.

“It was great that the powers that be acknowledged us in this way. And we hope that it is looked upon, not that we just received money, but that we put in a lot of hard work.

“I hope that standards can be set and followed from this experience.

The Staff:

Assistant Coaches - Wim Rijsbergen and Anton Corneal, Goalkeeper Coach - Michael Maurice, Manager - Bruce Aanensen, Assistant Manager - George Joseph, Doctor - Terrance Babwah, Trainer - Zephyrine Nicholas, Physiotherapists - Wayne Lawson and Oba Gulston, Equipment Manager - Ikin Williams, Assistant - Manager Esmond O’Brien and Cecil Wint.

The Players:

Anton Pierre, Nigel Pierre, Angus Eve, Marlon Rojas, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Hector Sam, Anthony Rougier, Scott Sealy, Brent Rahim, Nigel Henry, Gary Glasgow, Derek King Daurance Williams and Glenton Wolfe

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Soca Warriors get cash
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:35:06 AM »

they display the tokens of anticipation    ???

1]; } ?>