April 28, 2024, 11:29:24 PM

Author Topic: Gatlin admits failing drugs test  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gatlin admits failing drugs test
« on: July 29, 2006, 02:35:17 PM »
Gatlin admits failing drugs test  

Gatlin shares the world record with Asafa Powell at 9.77 seconds
World and Olympic 100 metres champion Justin Gatlin has admitted failing a drugs test in April.
The American was told the news by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

He said: "I have been informed that after a relay race I ran in Kansas City on 22 April, I tested positive for 'testosterone or its precursors'.

"I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorised anyone to administer such a substance to me."

He added: "Since learning of the positive test, I have been doing everything in my power to find out what caused this to happen.

It is simply not consistent with either my character or my confidence in my God-given athletic ability to cheat in any way

Justin Gatlin

"I have been and will continue to cooperate fully with Usada as it moves forward with the process it has initiated and hope that when all the facts are revealed it will be determined that I have done nothing wrong."

Gatlin tested positive for an amphetamine at the 2001 US junior championships at the University of Tennessee.

A subsequent ban was overturned after it was discovered the illegal substances were part of the medication he had been taking for a decade to combat attention deficit disorder.

In his statement on Saturday, Gatlin added: "That experience made me even more vigilant to make certain that I do not come into contact with any banned substance for any reason whatsoever, because any additional anti-doping rule offence could mean a lifetime ban from the sport that I love.

"Since the positive test at the University of Tennessee, I have been involved with efforts to educate people about the dangers of using drugs and would never do anything to disappoint my fans and supporters.

"It is simply not consistent with either my character or my confidence in my God-given athletic ability to cheat in any way."

www.bbc.co.uk

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gatlin admits failing drugs test
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
I guess fishs did not have to wait long  ;)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »
fishs, yuh right boy, I dunno why I defending men who I cant see what they doing whole day and who when its all said and done, are not 2 metres better than me.  FIRE BUN THEM ALL. I on your side now.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »
Did Gatlin noT tested positive before a few years back
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 04:46:41 PM »
Yep, for an amphetamine which was part of his ADD medicine.  That won't matter.  2 strikes and you are out in Track.  Career basically over.  Good riddance.  That 100m world record and his medals from the past 2 years should not be allowed to stand.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
steupps and i always paying good money to see these fawkers (not donvoan, ato and surin  ;D)  run
Not me and that sport again  >:(

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
Yep, for an amphetamine which was part of his ADD medicine.  That won't matter.  2 strikes and you are out in Track.  Career basically over.  Good riddance.  That 100m world record and his medals from the past 2 years should not be allowed to stand.

Suppose he ran clean at the olympics and world championships
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:26:40 PM »
What pisses me off is that yesterday all was well, but as soon as a yank tests positive, then dem draw my boy into it.

How many MVP people ever test positive for anything?

Do you all know the MVP policy for anyone caught using drugs?? Instant dismissal!!

Asafa has NOTHING to do with Gat and his dirty camp and so please leave his name out of it.

While I cant swear 100% for anyone, that means I cant exempt past stars either.

All i know is that Asafa is the ONLY elite sprinter that seldom if ever has a medical exeption on his testing form. Asafa has no ADD, Narcolpesy, colds, flus, or any bogus excuse that people use to cover their use of masking agents.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 09:41:10 PM »
What pisses me off is that yesterday all was well, but as soon as a yank tests positive, then dem draw my boy into it.

Do you all know the MVP policy for anyone caught using drugs?? Instant dismissal!!

Asafa has NOTHING to do with Gat and his dirty camp and so please leave his name out of it.

All i know is that Asafa is the ONLY elite sprinter that seldom if ever has a medical exeption on his testing form. Asafa has no ADD, Narcolpesy, colds, flus, or any bogus excuse that people use to cover their use of masking agents.
???????????? Who said anything about Asafa ????????????

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 07:53:10 AM »
What I don't understand is how every time these people get ah positive test, dey say de clean and dey didn't use.  So what kinda methods dey using tuh test people.  How come everybody so innocent.

How dem putting de life in danger fuh money an glory is beyong me.  When more ah dem start tuh dead in de sleep like FloJo by de time dey hit 40, maybe dey go smarten up.  I doh know.

All he test come back positive...ban him and give clean people de chance tuh win fair and square!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
I does just operate on the assumption that everyone taking something.
After that, you could enjoy any sport/race and be cool.

The problem i does have is the moralistic yankees talking about everybody else and then when them get ketch is all kinda excuse.  Check Landis story - Jack Daniels Whiskey dude? that is your excuse?

While we would all prefer to see these things decided by nature and training rather than being determined by who has the better chemist, I'm way past being upset about it.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 09:24:24 AM »
fishs, yuh right boy, I dunno why I defending men who I cant see what they doing whole day and who when its all said and done, are not 2 metres better than me.  FIRE BUN THEM ALL. I on your side now.

Brother you and the other athletes that plied your trade fairly are a rare breed.

I do not know how this is going to stop.

In the Soviet days it was done as a kind of super power thing.

Now I guess its money, run a race , break a record , make some millions, get ketch, claim you never did it , then walk away from the sport with your pocket full.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/5228246.stm

Like I said just after he equalled the record: One minute is yuh hardly making 9.8X next thing is 9.76? DRUGS!

Gatlin has been sabotaged - coach

Justin Gatlin's coach Trevor Graham claims the World and Olympic 100m champion has been "set up" after the sprinter failed a drugs test.

Athletics was rocked by the 24-year-old American's announcement that he tested positive for testosterone after a race in Kansas City in April.

Gatlin has denied knowingly taking performance-enhancing drugs.

And Graham said: "Someone has sabotaged my athlete. We know who but Justin did not take any banned substances."

Interview: Asafa Powell's agent Paul Doyle Interview: Ben Johnson

The sprinter made the unusual decision to announce the positive test himself before the US Anti-Doping Agency made the news public.

Gatlin, who took a share of the 100m world record in May - one month after his positive test - when he tied Jamaican Asafa Powell's mark of 9.77 seconds, insists he is innocent.

"I cannot account for these results because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorised anyone to administer such a substance to me," he said.

Graham, who also coached the disgraced former world record holder Tim Montgomery, was the whistle-blower who launched the Balco steroid investigation in California and his claims of "sabotage" have yet to be investigated.

Gatlin's revelation comes just two days after Tour de France winner Floyd Landis' positive test for unusual levels of testosterone.

The American cycling star claims his body's natural metabolism caused the positive test but Gatlin's case is different.

The sprinter underwent a carbon-isotope ratio test which can determine whether the testosterone in a person's system is natural or unnatural.

Gatlin, who won his Olympic gold in Athens two years ago, admitted he has tested positive for "testosterone or its precursors" that have come from an exogenous, or outside, source.

USA Track & Field executive director Craig Masback expressed his shock at Gatlin's positive test.

"Justin has been one of the most visible spokespersons for winning with integrity in the sport of track and field," he said.

"Throughout his career Justin has made clear his willingness to take responsibility for his actions."

Gatlin tested positive in 2001 for an amphetamine contained in medicine he had been taking for 10 years to treat attention deficit disorder.

The New York-born athlete was initially given a two-year ban but was reinstated in July 2002 because the amphetamine came from a prescription for a medical condition.

But it was made clear to him that another positive test could result in a lifetime ban.

And on Sunday the International Association of Athletics Federations restated that Gatlin would be banned for life if the test result is confirmed by the US authorities.

US Olympic Committee chief Jim Scherr admitted Gatlin's revelation "points out how insidious the problem of doping in sport has become".

Scherr added: "While this news is disappointing, it underscores the commitment we have made to protect the integrity of sport through clean competition.

"No one, regardless of their stature, is above the system."

Gatlin, arguably the biggest star in world athletics and certainly the American poster boy for the sport, can present the findings to an independent review board. After that he would still have the right to appeal.

US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) chief executive Terry Madden said: "USADA will not comment on the facts of any active case.

"Anyone accused of a doping violation has a right to have his or her case determined on the evidence through the established process and not on any other basis.

Gatlin, who came to the track after a background in American football, became only the fifth man to add the world title to an Olympic 100m gold when he won the global crown in Helsinki last year.

He also won the 200m world title - only the second man to claim the World sprint double - to place himself among a very select group of athletics greats.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 09:52:05 AM »
I am always comforted when I feel like it is better to take a loss and retire reputation in tact than to be blazing 9.7 (and BTW I will believe in Asafa until anything says otherwise) have zero left.  I wouldn't trade with Marion or Gatlin for anything.

If the kids can learn anything from all the big falls lately in all walks of life, not just sport, it should be that u will get caught.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »
I am always comforted when I feel like it is better to take a loss and retire reputation in tact than to be blazing 9.7 (and BTW I will believe in Asafa until anything says otherwise) have zero left.  I wouldn't trade with Marion or Gatlin for anything.

If the kids can learn anything from all the big falls lately in all walks of life, not just sport, it should be that u will get caught.

Damn straight!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »

Rasta,

I was talking to Ricky, with respect to his indirect slap.

I think Asafa is clean. i think Ato was clean, but I dont KNOW as I am not with them 24/7. However, I do keep an open mind and if any tests +ve for steroids, then no mercy...unless it can be proved that its a frame up.

My point was, its Gat's neck on the line and we dont need to implicate unrelated people. Gat never shared his gold, so why people trying to share out his troubles.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 03:34:58 PM »

Rasta,

I was talking to Ricky, with respect to his indirect slap.

I think Asafa is clean. i think Ato was clean, but I dont KNOW as I am not with them 24/7. However, I do keep an open mind and if any tests +ve for steroids, then no mercy...unless it can be proved that its a frame up.

My point was, its Gat's neck on the line and we dont need to implicate unrelated people. Gat never shared his gold, so why people trying to share out his troubles.
Respect

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
Willi i didn't mean to infer that Asafa was on anything
those 3 i mentioned just happen to be my 3 favorite sprinters...note the smile after i said it
Do i know for sure if my 3 are/were clean?? i hope so, but the answer is no i dont
didnt mean for it to come across that way

your boy asafa was not even on my mind when i made that post,
so before you "talk" to me because of my "indirect slap" that wasnt
ask yourself why you are so defensive
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:01:03 PM by ricky »

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 03:52:42 PM »
Gatlin faces prospect of life ban

Gatlin announced on Saturday that he had tested positive
World and Olympic 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban after confirmation that his B sample tested positive for testosterone.
The American announced on Saturday that he had failed a doping test in April.
And anti-doping chief Dick Pound and Gatlin's lawyer Cameron Myler told Five Live on Sunday that the 24-year-old's B sample also tested positive.
Gatlin will now wait to learn his fate before a United States Anti-Doping Agency hearing.
"The B sample is positive, they've gone through that whole exercise," World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) chairman Pound told Five Live.

"What remains now is for the appropriate penalty to be handed out by the US Anti-Doping Agency and that will be reviewed by the IAAF, and by Wada if we're not satisfied that the right result has been achieved."
Gatlin also tested positive for an amphetamine in 2001 and Pound confirmed that if the World Anti-Doping Code is properly applied the American faces a life ban.
"(Gatlin) needs to be banned for up to life," said Pound.
"There may be some extenuating circumstances but if he just continues some sort of bland denial that will not help him when it comes to sentencing.
"If he can find somebody who did in fact spike it that's for them to prove, but short of something like that he faces a very serious problem."
Myler told Radio Five Live her client struggled to come to terms with the news when he was first told.
"He (Gatlin) was in shock, Justin has not done anything, he has not taken anything, hasn't used anything and he certainly hasn't authorised anyone else to," said Myler.
"He is finding it very difficult."
Gatlin's coach Trevor Graham has already said his athlete has been "sabotaged" and that he knows who is responsible.
But Pound said: "Bear in mind Trevor Graham is himself being investigated by the Grand Jury because a surprising number of his athletes have been found guilty of doping offences."
Myler added: "I heard of (Graham's) comments and read them in the press this morning - they are not authorised by us and we didn't know about them.
"Trevor's comments were not made with the knowledge or authorisation of either Justin or us. At this point we are trying to figure out what was the cause of the positive test."
The Wada chairman said that Gatlin's positive drugs test is proof that doping is "rampant" in athletics.
"It's an indication that there is still rampant drug use going on," said Pound.
"And it's not just in the middle of the pack or at the back of the pack, it's the leaders."
The Wada chairman did concede that small steps are being made by the sport in the USA to tackle doping in athletics.
"There certainly was in the past quite a lot of sweeping under the carpet and it's been a bone of contention between me and USA Track & Field (USATF) for a number of years," he said.
"This time at least USATF has come out and said this is a problem we acknowledge that there's a (positive) test and it's a very serious matter, so I think that there's some evolution but there's a long way to go too."

JUSTIN GATLIN
1982: Born in Brooklyn, Feb 10
2001: Wins US college 100m & 200m while at University of Tennessee
2001: Banned for two years for testing positive for an amphetamine
2002: IAAF reduces ban to one year
2002: Turns professional and begins working with coach Trevor Graham
2003: Wins US and world indoor 60m titles
2004: Wins 100m gold at Athens Olympics in 9.85secs
2005: Wins 100m & 200m gold at World Championships in Helsinki
2006: Equals world record with time of 9.77secs in Doha
2006: On July 29 announces he has tested positive for unusual levels of "testosterone or its precursors"

www.bbc.co.uk

1]; } ?>