March 28, 2024, 08:59:31 AM

Author Topic: Report: Cannavaro to join Real Madrid  (Read 6583 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Report: Cannavaro to join Real Madrid
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:34:57 PM »
Real poised to make offers for Robben and Fabregas
By Jack Rashleigh in Madrid
Published: 12 July 2006
The Independent

Real Madrid paved the way for what promises to be a hectic summer in the transfer market yesterday by announcing their intention to make official approaches to Arsenal and Chelsea for Cesc Fabregas and Arjen Robben before the end of the week, while making it clear they are close to capturing Italy's World Cup-winning captain, Fabio Cannavaro, from Juventus.

Officials in the club's new regime have been accused of talking up their interest in the Premiership players solely to unsettle rival clubs and to help them to win the Real Madrid presidential elections 10 days ago. But the club's new director of football, Predrag Mijatovic, said: "We would never do that. Of course, we are fighting to bring the players to this club. After Thursday I am going to be moving with their respective clubs in a bid to show our supporters we are people of our word."

Regarding Cannavaro, Mijatovic said: "We've made good headway in getting him here and we're going to continue trying hard. I'm sure there will be some news in the next few days.

"I can appreciate that Cannavaro was a huge reason why Juventus won two Scudetti and why Italy won the World Cup."

Juventus, who on Monday appointed the former Chelsea midfielder Didier Deschamps as their new coach, are embroiled in a match-fixing trial, with the prosecution recommending that they be relegated to Serie C.

Mijatovic and the new Real president Ramon Calderon came to power promising to sign Fabregas, Robben and Milan's Kaka but no progress has been made. And last week Chelsea made an official complaint to Fifa about Real's conduct over Robben.

The Spanish club were accused of talking to the player without permission, although Calderon claimed afterwards that any conversations with the Dutch winger took place before he became Real Madrid president. "Since becoming president I have had no talks with any players" he said, insisting that all business would now be carried out strictly in accordance with Fifa regulations.
Real sense they have a chance of grabbing Robben if their spat with Chelsea can be smoothed over. Roberto Carlos' proposed switch to Stamford Bridge could help the deal through.

But persuading Arsenal to sell Fabregas remains a far less realistic aim. Real are hoping to offer Julio Baptista as part of a cash-plus-player exchange. The Brazilian, who can play in midfield or attack, was wanted by Arsenal's manager Arsène Wenger last summer when he left Seville but chose a move to Madrid.

Calderon said: "Arsenal were interested in Baptista last season and they still are, maybe something can be worked out."

Capello could also look to Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy as his new striker, although Real have balked at the 30-year-old's £16m price tag. Cristiano Ronaldo has also been linked with the club and he and Marseilles winger Franck Ribéry could both be an option if the Robben bid fails. Lyon's midfielder Mahamadou Diarra will be targeted if Real fail to prise Fabregas from Arsenal.

Real have also been linked with Cannavaro's Juventus team-mates Gianluca Zambrotta and Emerson, and possibly either one of the strike partnership of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Trezeguet. If Milan are also found guilty in the match-fixing scandal and are relegated, Real will look to sign their Brazilian Kaka while Chelsea have been linked with a move for their defender Alessandro Nesta.

article here

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
Arsenal say Cesc going nowhere.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Arsenal say Cesc going nowhere.
so is arsenal- right touches???

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
that will prob be their biggest signing for a defender since Roberto Carlos and to a lesser extent Samuel

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
at least now they trying to do something about their defense

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
Cannavaro go real help stable Real Madrid defense.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a good move this is what they really need.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net

As much as he is a very solid center back. I don't think he would make that much of a difference. I think the problem lies within the coaching staff and club.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Fabregas staying at Arsenal despite Real offer - Agent
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 10:13:34 AM »
Cesc Fabregas' agent has confirmed the Arsenal teenager would prefer to stay in London rather than move to Real Madrid.

Joseba Diaz, who appeared to court a move to Spain for his 19-year-old client recently, now insists the former Barcelona trainee could spend 'a lot of seasons in London'.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: 'We have one very good offer from Madrid but Cesc and Arsenal prefer he plays in London.

'Cesc is very grateful to Mr (Arsene) Wenger, Mr (David) Dein and the supporters of Arsenal and he just prefers playing at Arsenal next season and I think a lot of seasons in London.'

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fabregas staying at Arsenal despite Real offer - Agent
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 10:16:05 AM »
Good move. Arsenal is an up and coming young team.
I'm looking for them to do better this year.
Real? Well...
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 11:23:06 AM »
Idiot!! Should have thought of career instead of loyality. While loyalty gets you fame it pays nothing.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »
Idiot!! Should have thought of career instead of loyality. While loyalty gets you fame it pays nothing.

Disagree. He will be worth a lot more in a few years as he gains more experience. He will join Real and sit on the bench. At Arsenal he will start and be a starting player. Look what happened to a young Henry at Juv and Viera at Milan and Bergkamp at inter. All flopped because they moved too young
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 11:47:43 AM »
What is the benefit of moving to Real?

They haven't won a trophy in 3 years. He is much better off at Arsenal where the situation is more settled. He is only 19 and can continue to develop to the point where he can set the terms of any proposed transfer. This is a smart move.
TnT Patriot

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »
Thats a good move he would develop in to a better player at Arsenal because he might go Real and sit on the bench just like what happened to Owen

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:59:37 PM »

Disagree. He will be worth a lot more in a few years as he gains more experience. He will join Real and sit on the bench. At Arsenal he will start and be a starting player. Look what happened to a young Henry at Juv and Viera at Milan and Bergkamp at inter. All flopped because they moved too young

My sentiments exactly....he young still...will be worth a lot more in 2 seasons
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation

Foh real...Cannas go be a vital source in Reals defence this season
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 12:53:11 PM »
Story Tools:       
  Print    Email    Blog This   
Associated Press
Posted: 3 hours ago     

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Italy's World Cup winning captain and Juventus defender Fabio Cannavaro has decided to sign for Real Madrid next season, a Spanish newspaper reported on Sunday.

Cannavaro called former Juventus and current Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello and told him that he will play for the Spanish powerhouse, the sports daily AS reported.

The 32-year-old defender, widely considered one of the top players at the World Cup in Germany, has also been targeted by Chelsea and Italian powerhouse AC Milan, according to media reports.

After the reported call, Capello contacted Real chairman Ramon Calderon to confirm that Cannavaro will be in the Santiago Bernabeu next season, AS said without naming a source.

Madrid's sports director Peja Mijatovic said earlier this week that the club was close to signing Cannavaro.

Juventus, Italy's domestic champion for the past two years, has been relegated to Serie B in the country's match-fixing scandal but can appeal. Several of its players are reportedly seeking to move to other clubs.

Real Madrid has not won a trophy in three years despite a glittering lineup that boasts players like Ronaldo and David Beckham.

TnT Patriot

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Report: Cannavaro to join Real Madrid
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »
Despite the numerous problems at Real any team out of the UK is a good move. The EPL is the worst league in Europe.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
Despite the numerous problems at Real any team out of the UK is a good move. The EPL is the worst league in Europe.

ah cyar agree with yuh there chick!!

arsenal, chelsea, liverpool, manchester utd and tottenham are all very good teams that can mix it up with the best of them!!.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »
I agree with the teams listed as good teams but when I compare the EPL with Italy, Spain and Germany leagues the EPL rank at the bottom of the pile. The British style of play in comparision to the others mention doh compare.

My 2 cents.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

As much as he is a very solid center back. I don't think he would make that much of a difference. I think the problem lies within the coaching staff and club.

Kingman

I agree with this to some extent. When Walter Samuel came to Real Madrid, 'The Wall' was at his peak and was considered an even better defender than Cannavaro in Serie A. However, he never settled in a team that had no direction and he clearly was not used to playing in front of a midfield that had didn't know how to defend that well. Samuel looks pretty solid again at Inter, but he nothing like he did in his days at Roma. Rigt now, Cannavaro is probably an even better defender than Samuel was a couple years ago...but without the proper midfield, and defensive system, he could have his work cut out. One thing is for sure..he is a great buy. And I feel with Capello at the helm, Madrid will look stronger this season

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Kingman

I agree with this to some extent. When Walter Samuel came to Real Madrid, 'The Wall' was at his peak and was considered an even better defender than Cannavaro in Serie A. However, he never settled in a team that had no direction and he clearly was not used to playing in front of a midfield that had didn't know how to defend that well. Samuel looks pretty solid again at Inter, but he nothing like he did in his days at Roma. Rigt now, Cannavaro is probably an even better defender than Samuel was a couple years ago...but without the proper midfield, and defensive system, he could have his work cut out. One thing is for sure..he is a great buy. And I feel with Capello at the helm, Madrid will look stronger this season

Which one do you mean ???

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Kingman

haha. It does look a bit confusing, but what I mean is.....2 seasons ago, Walter Samuel was at his peak. And in those days was considered the best defender in Serie A, even better than Cannavaro. That was then.

Right now, I think the Cannavaro of today is better than the Walter Samuel of 2 seasons ago. So I am highlighting Cannavaro's improvement over the last couple of seasons, even though he was always a top class defender.

In the 1st sentence, I am comparing the two when Samuel moved to Madrid.
In the 2nd, I am comparing the improved Cannavaro of today, to the Samuel that moved to Madrid at his peak 2 seasons ago

hope that clears it up
peace

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Kingman

haha. It does look a bit confusing, but what I mean is.....2 seasons ago, Walter Samuel was at his peak. And in those days was considered the best defender in Serie A, even better than Cannavaro. That was then.

Right now, I think the Cannavaro of today is better than the Walter Samuel of 2 seasons ago. So I am highlighting Cannavaro's improvement over the last couple of seasons, even though he was always a top class defender.

In the 1st sentence, I am comparing the two when Samuel moved to Madrid.
In the 2nd, I am comparing the improved Cannavaro of today, to the Samuel that moved to Madrid at his peak 2 seasons ago

hope that clears it up
peace
Respect brother...thanks for educating me  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
cannavaro, emerson start juve - madrid exodus
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »
according to soccernet , real madrid have agreed to aa fee with juventus to "take  fabbio cannavaro and emerson to the bernabeu" 

the deal "would be  in the region of 20 million euros "
http://
 source:  http//soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=374133&cc=5901
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 05:04:01 PM by legal alien »

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Real sign Cannavaro and Emerson
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
That Cannavaro signing is a big coup for real...

Real sign Cannavaro and Emerson

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5169176.stm

Real Madrid have announced the signing of Italy World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro and Brazil midfielder Emerson from Juventus.

The pair, who have signed a two-year deal with a further one-year option, will link up with their former Juve boss Fabio Capello at the Bernebeu.

Spanish radio said the deal was worth a combined 20 million Euros (£13.7m)

Juventus were relegated from Serie A last week after the match-fixing scandal which rocked Italian football.

They will start the 2006/07 campaign in Serie B with a 30-point deficit.

Real are looking to rebuild after three years without a trophy and the pair are the first arrivals at Madrid since new president Ramon Calderon came to power earlier this month.

A statement on the club's website said: "Real Madrid can confirm it has reached an agreement with Juventus over the signing of Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson.

"The players are currently on holiday and will be presented at the Bernabeu after signing their respective contracts."

Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 06:52:05 PM »
Lord...lemme hear what the Real madrid fans hadda say about Emerson....de man is an enigma. Loved in Italy, hated in Brazil...which Emerson will we get in La Liga?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 07:16:14 PM »
Not all the Juve fans jumping ship. Del Piero and Nedved seem set to show their loyalty to the colors..they will become club legends.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=374101&cc=5901

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cannavaro and Emerson leave Juventus
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5799140

I know everyone knew it was coming but I guess it's official now.
Kicker I know u pissed emerson come over.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 09:45:23 AM »
best buy for the summer when needs are cosidered

1]; } ?>