April 19, 2024, 04:00:56 PM

Author Topic: Greatest player ever?  (Read 6847 times)

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Greatest player ever?
« on: June 19, 2005, 10:39:41 PM »
Dear Forumites,
My last post in the Brazil-Mexico thread has me thinking about who is the greatest player that I have ever seen.
Many say Pele but unfortunately i am not old enough to have witnessed his majestic abilities.
I am torn between Maradona, Ronaldinho and Pre-injury Ronaldo.
Just wanted to know some of your opinions.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest player ever?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 11:30:29 PM »
Maradona without a doubt b/c of his ability to make players around him better.

You have to also consider Cruyff as well.They say that he was the prototype.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:31:25 AM »
i never really saw pele and maradona. but the best of my time so far has to be zidane.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:34:31 AM »
From who ah see, strictly TV
As football is a Team sport, will have to Go with
Brazil forward line - Pele, Tostao, Jairzinho (Ronaldo sub)
Midfield- Maradona, Rivelino, Gerson (Zidane, Platini sub)
Defense - Italy (Carlos Alberto, Tresor,subs)
Goalie - Pat Jennings (Keller sub)

and bout 50 other subs

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 07:42:03 AM »
diego hands down, man win a WC with hardly any help
also win the italian league with hardly any help
pele johan never saw them much but them boys to me had more help.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »
but then again diego mighta been on some serious coke might explain all them crazy skills he display
who knows
but if i had to pick 1 man definitely diego

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 08:06:33 AM »
diego hands down, man win a WC with hardly any help
also win the italian league with hardly any help
pele johan never saw them much but them boys to me had more help.

I guess Careca, Alameo and half the Italian National team at the time was not any help  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:28:58 AM »
alamao was a general ent zidane want nothing with him
careca the greatest even better than pele or ronaldo
and half the italian team was from napoli-HALF u say
on the intl level who had the better supporting cast out of the 3(pele diego johan)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 08:40:32 AM »
alamao was a general ent zidane want nothing with him
careca the greatest even better than pele or ronaldo
and half the italian team was from napoli-HALF u say
on the intl level who had the better supporting cast out of the 3(pele diego johan)

You said no help. I am showing you that Carreca, Alemao, Carnavale, deNapoli, Garilla, Giadano, Ferrar all played for Napoli. Diego was there 2 or 3 years before these players arrived and then Napoli & Diego delivered the trophy.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 08:43:16 AM »
I SAID HARDLY ANY HELP boss
TO ME -my opinion

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 08:49:36 AM »
I SAID HARDLY ANY HELP boss
TO ME -my opinion

;D ok bro take win
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 08:57:45 AM »
yippeee hooray sound the horns-joking ok kidding- cause yuh seem to take me real seriously. disect everything i must be really important-good thing i ain't tell yuh go jump off the sears tower haed first
no win/lose scenario boss just different opinions no horrors and um
diego still run things best ever.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »
yippeee hooray sound the horns-joking ok kidding- cause yuh seem to take me real seriously. disect everything i must be really important-good thing i ain't tell yuh go jump off the sears tower haed first
no win/lose scenario boss just different opinions no horrors and um
diego still run things best ever.

Nah man I on kicks yes, board and playing on this expensive toy, arguing "rum shop arguments"  ;D. You cannot compare players of different generations I have an interview where Diego said he wished he had played in the late 60 & early 70's because so many great players came from that era.
de Stefano, Diego, Pele. Shindela, Platini, Cruyff, Zidane, Ronaldo were all te best of their generation and quite frankly I do not care who was better than whom, as all were a joy to watch and filled me with great memories
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »
great memories in true which is why i went diego 86 unbelievable
jaw dropping
napoli-hooking the left foot around the right pin point cross careca head then goal-priceless

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 09:31:17 AM »
talin about carecca...I fine he is the most overrated player in my generation.  He had me really wonderin' if Brazil is really the power house father and dem say dey is...romario and bebetto and then these present boyz restore muh confidence...and maxg, how you could name a Italy defensive line up without baresi?

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »
Greatest ever..Diego Maradonna.  I was not around in Pele's days so I seen haven't much of him except a few video clips and it is difficult to compare a midfielder to a forward.  So best ever midfielder is Maradonna and best ever forward is Pele.  I think Ronaldinho is capable of being better than Maradonna.
Best ever defender..Franco Baresi/Guiseppe Bergomi.  Best ever goalkeeper...Walter Zenga, Best ever sh*thound...Salvatore Schillaci. I only considered players from 1982 onwards with the exception of Pele.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 10:47:07 AM »
...and maxg, how you could name a Italy defensive line up without baresi?

Didn't name no one man for Defense, I give that all to Italy, the Country..dem fellas make perfect the Lock & Bolt defense..Though it may have been 1st used by the swiss..... endless defenders, who I named were subs. Carlos Alberto - Brazil..Tresor - France

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 02:44:32 PM »
Yuh have to separate categories to be fair.
You should have it broken down in terms of forwards, midfielders , defenders and keepers.
Then the criteria you are using. Eg: Skill,;; Klinsman was not no skill man but he use to put away all the chances he get.
Just my view. :

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 02:58:03 PM »
samo yuh feel Klinsman was better dan Karl Heinz-Ruminegger (sp)?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »

Nah boy.  never happen.  Ruminegger was a boss.  One of the catalysts of the great West German machine.  Klinsman was nice, "the flying German" they used to call him for some of his acrobatic goals, but as a player yuh hadda go for Karl-Heinz.

On the Greatest player ever topic I also say Diego Armando Maradona.  hands down.  Look at who he win a World Cup with?  Carniggia (a crackhead), Brown (who play the final with one hand in a sling), and a decent keeper in Nery Pumpido.  das it.  Pele had a whole heap of men to help on his teams.  Carlos Alberto (maybe the best wing back ever), Garrincha (doh need to say nuttin bout he), Jazzino (worse yet, a damn boss, no commentry needed) etc etc etc. 

So Maradona is the man.  Yuh done know.

And all doubters, remember that in FIFA poll of The Greatest Player Ever Maradona won over Pele as voted by fans across the world.  But Maradona is such a bad influence (with the drug habit and everything) and Pele such a darling of FIFA, that FIFA change the rules to give their favourite son Pele the award.

truetrini

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 03:59:47 PM »
No... KarlHeinz was a boss.. A cannot remember the year, but that man score ah think it was 2 or 3 goals in injury time ti tie the game and send it to penalties. I was just using Kilnsman as a reference.

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
Has to be Diego!!!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 06:15:39 PM »

Nah boy.  never happen.  Ruminegger was a boss.  One of the catalysts of the great West German machine.  Klinsman was nice, "the flying German" they used to call him for some of his acrobatic goals, but as a player yuh hadda go for Karl-Heinz.

On the Greatest player ever topic I also say Diego Armando Maradona.  hands down.  Look at who he win a World Cup with?  Carniggia (a crackhead), Brown (who play the final with one hand in a sling), and a decent keeper in Nery Pumpido.  das it.  Pele had a whole heap of men to help on his teams.  Carlos Alberto (maybe the best wing back ever), Garrincha (doh need to say nuttin bout he), Jazzino (worse yet, a damn boss, no commentry needed) etc etc etc. 

So Maradona is the man.  Yuh done know.

And all doubters, remember that in FIFA poll of The Greatest Player Ever Maradona won over Pele as voted by fans across the world.  But Maradona is such a bad influence (with the drug habit and everything) and Pele such a darling of FIFA, that FIFA change the rules to give their favourite son Pele the award.

I eh even know why I responding but just to let you know. Cannigha did not win the WC with Diego. The attacking trio was Valdano, Burrachaga & Diego, with both Burrachaga & Valdano scoring in the final and Brown with the opener.
Valdano was the top scorer for Real in dem days, his strike partner was no other than Hugo Sanchez

Thomas Paine

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 08:46:53 PM »
I think I see Diego best beat, when he walk through 3 men and Pele when he dummy that keeper and had him crabin wind.  But I going with Pele.

But since we talkin bout great players.  Anybody know who scored the longest goal.  Not no chip thing....... a mean bullit.,,,30-45 yards type thing.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 08:58:48 PM »
If alyuh was around when the old Forum was functioning........we do this topic before and men get real heated.

But they have a certain poster here who name beginning with T and have 5 letters who swear to me and we argue for days that Zidane better than Maradonna. and that Zidane is the best.

Zidane good......we ent taking that away from him.

But he cyar lace up Maradonna boots and Rabbit teeth Ronaldinho will surpass Zidane soon.

I ent see Pele play. I am a young fella.....but for me Maradonna is the greatest player to grace a football field.

I tell you this topic get man vex for weeks in the old forum.

The debate was between Pele and Maradonna......but certain posters had the audacity to put Zidane in that bracket, pure disrespect.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

jusme

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 09:16:22 PM »
I have only seen Pele play in highlights (saw one game from later in his career in it's entirety)  so take this with a grain of salt if yuh taking it at all.

Based on the footage I have seen of Pele's era, football seemed to be a lot simpler from a tactical standpoint.  The most distinguishing feature to me is that those guys seemed to be running in open space.  Defenders weren't necessarily as technically gifted as the ppl who play at the top level these days and ppl didn't seem to use defensive midfielders as effectively.

Pele was strong and fast, with some dribbling ability but I eh think he would measure up to maradona in his time or even zidane (I know a man done say doh bring zidane in dis talk) in this era.  Pele was a goalscorer on a team that was arguably the most famous collection of offensive stars in the history of the game (off the top of my head the current Real Madrid team is the only team that could rival brazil of 1958-1970 in terms of big names and even they don't have everyone in their prime simultaneously),  a player like adriano, ronaldo, schevchenko would also have wreaked havoc under those conditions.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2005, 09:30:29 PM »
a player like adriano, ronaldo, schevchenko would also have wreaked havoc under those conditions.

a 1999 Dwight Yorke would have done some serious damage with that kind of service as well

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 05:42:51 AM »
Dear Forumites,
My last post in the Brazil-Mexico thread has me thinking about who is the greatest player that I have ever seen.
Many say Pele but unfortunately i am not old enough to have witnessed his majestic abilities.
I am torn between Maradona, Ronaldinho and Pre-injury Ronaldo.
Just wanted to know some of your opinions.

With the world that we live in today, there is no excuses for not seeing Pele.  Pele is undoubtly the best player the world has ever seen - and mind you I am not that old either.  Maradona was also great, but the comparison between the two players is only made by those wishing to express an emotional bias about one or the other.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
I think I see Diego best beat, when he walk through 3 men and Pele when he dummy that keeper and had him crabin wind.  But I going with Pele.

But since we talkin bout great players.  Anybody know who scored the longest goal.  Not no chip thing....... a mean bullit.,,,30-45 yards type thing.

SEEDORF circa 1999-2000 for Real Madrid
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>