April 26, 2024, 05:11:43 AM

Author Topic: Defenders Wanted  (Read 2877 times)

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Defenders Wanted
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:58:13 AM »
Good Day Guys,

Is it me or is our defensive looking a bit old these days? Now there is nothing wrong with our players aging as they are bound to age with time, but my real question is who do we have to replace them? Do we have youthful defenders that can replace guys like Andrews, Lawrence, Sancho, John and even Gray? Will we be able to find Mid - High caliber defenders in our pro league?

No one ever talks about the next young defender who will hold down the back line for T&T? We have young talented strikers for days and even our midfield has some depth and youthful talent but what about defense. Where will we find the strength of Andrews, tackling of Sancho, Aerial skills of Lawrence, who will run the line like Avery or be as tenacious as Cyd?  Sure we could throw some young defenders in the line up and say we have youth but more importantly, do we have talent, young defenders that are good enough to represent us on the international stage?

With all the talk about 2010 and looking to the future, all I here is which strikers will emerge as the starters for us and who running the midfield, but today my question is who the heck will defend? Can we enthusiastically look forward to Derek King (no disrespect intended), Anton Pierre and Marlon Rojas to revitalize our back line? Is Keno Thomas ever going to be given a chance, does Jlloyd Samuel qualify? Are we in trouble where our defense is concerned?

I don’t see very many successors for our present backline but I have been wrong before. If they are out there then who are they and when will we have a look at them?

What do you guys think?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Defenders Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:08:38 AM »
nice post

I suppose we'll have to take a look at the U20 teams...anybody have the list of players that were called up for the CAC qualifiers, the side that get beat from Haiti. Who were the defenders on that team?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »
Just some of the "younger set" from my recent memory

Nigel Henry (who was rated VERY HIGHLY) by coach Beenhakker
Julius James (who is rated VERY HIGHLY by Morvant Man)  ;D  Me too by the way
Makan Hislop

Those 3 especially have REAL POTENTIAL in my opinion.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:49:04 AM »
Is Keno Thomas ever going to be given a chance..?

Keyeno Thomas has 43 caps for the senior team, so he has had plenty of chances.

Here are some names: Nigel Daniel, Glenton Wolfe, Makan Hislop, Anthony Noriega, Julius James, Karlon Murray, Yohance Marshall, Ancil Farrier.

Just some of the "younger set" from my recent memory

Nigel Henry (who was rated VERY HIGHLY) by coach Beenhakker
Henry not really from de younger set. He is already 30 years old.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:49:50 AM »
I wonder how long before these names get a call up for duty. I see all of those names but now I am very interested in actually seeing them play so we can assess their caliber. Like I said, we can throw a group of youngsters out there but can they perform credibly against class opposition?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:53:01 AM by lil damo »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:02:34 AM »
Like I said, we can throw a group of youngsters out there but can they perform credibly against class opposition?

It  doesn't matter whether they are young or old, the only way you're going to know for sure whether they are capable is to throw them out there.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 11:07:25 AM »
I can't wait to throw them out there then because I am hoping we can produce a few world class defenders in our next crop of players.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:42:41 PM »
What about Abu Bakr? I have not seen him play for a while but he seemed to be worth a look. I know that he is playing for Calidonia. I haven't gone to a PFL game for a month or two.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »
Abu is midfielder.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 01:53:35 PM »
Abu is midfielder.

he didnt look nashie material to me
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:06:24 PM »
Bless

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »
The only real positions on Defence we have to really worry about is maybe our first stopper and last stopper position. If you notice at this year WC we used Carlos Edwards and I believe Evan wise as a full backs at times because the game has changed so much that it not as much as how it used to be when you really had to be aggressive in your tackling... big and strong intimidating looking type guy. That is in thee past! The game is now more relied on your skills and speed. You can now uses a defensive midfielder with some skills and speed as your full backs wingers. So who go be we last stopper and first stopper should be the question I think!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »
Good Day Guys,

Is it me or is our defensive looking a bit old these days? Now there is nothing wrong with our players aging as they are bound to age with time, but my real question is who do we have to replace them? Do we have youthful defenders that can replace guys like Andrews, Lawrence, Sancho, John and even Gray? Will we be able to find Mid - High caliber defenders in our pro league?

No one ever talks about the next young defender who will hold down the back line for T&T? We have young talented strikers for days and even our midfield has some depth and youthful talent but what about defense. Where will we find the strength of Andrews, tackling of Sancho, Aerial skills of Lawrence, who will run the line like Avery or be as tenacious as Cyd?  Sure we could throw some young defenders in the line up and say we have youth but more importantly, do we have talent, young defenders that are good enough to represent us on the international stage?

With all the talk about 2010 and looking to the future, all I here is which strikers will emerge as the starters for us and who running the midfield, but today my question is who the heck will defend? Can we enthusiastically look forward to Derek King (no disrespect intended), Anton Pierre and Marlon Rojas to revitalize our back line? Is Keno Thomas ever going to be given a chance, does Jlloyd Samuel qualify? Are we in trouble where our defense is concerned?

I don’t see very many successors for our present backline but I have been wrong before. If they are out there then who are they and when will we have a look at them?

What do you guys think?

I was wondering about that same thing.

1]; } ?>